• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to apply Android Security Patches to a Custom Rom?

Search This thread

NovusDeus

Dec 9, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've used Android-based custom roms for years on many of my devices. Now, I am only able to find one old Lineage OS 14 build for a rare, old tablet that I have.

The Android version is not a huge issue, as many Apps still support 7 and lower and the system itself runs reasonably well. However, the latest security patches are still from 2018.

The way I understand it, Google/AOSP publishes some sort of security update packages in regular intervals.

Is there an easy way to appy those patches to the rom that I have? Reinstalling the system is no problem and I can do some simple troubleshooting, but I'm probably not able to recompile the entire build, if that is necessary.

Unfortunately, since every custom rom has some "Security update" info, it's extremely hard to find any explanations of how to actually apply those patches, at least I couldn't find any.

Fell free to just send me a link if there is any sort of guide on how to accomplish this.

Thanks a lot!

el.corzo

Sep 19, 2017
Frankfurt
Hi everyone,

I've used Android-based custom roms for years on many of my devices. Now, I am only able to find one old Lineage OS 14 build for a rare, old tablet that I have.

The Android version is not a huge issue, as many Apps still support 7 and lower and the system itself runs reasonably well. However, the latest security patches are still from 2018.

The way I understand it, Google/AOSP publishes some sort of security update packages in regular intervals.

Is there an easy way to appy those patches to the rom that I have? Reinstalling the system is no problem and I can do some simple troubleshooting, but I'm probably not able to recompile the entire build, if that is necessary.

Unfortunately, since every custom rom has some "Security update" info, it's extremely hard to find any explanations of how to actually apply those patches, at least I couldn't find any.

Fell free to just send me a link if there is any sort of guide on how to accomplish this.

Thanks a lot!
You have two problems here.
First: Google does NOT publish security patches for every Android version forever. After some time (3 years i think) is that Version deprecated and does not become patches from Google.

Second: those patches are not in form of a "ready-to-install" software. They are source code patches. You can see them as something like _r67 after the Android Version. So you or someone else must build them.

For a recent, supported ROM like LineageOS 18.1 the ROM developer does this for you. You get it when you update Lineage.
For Android 7, which deprecated long ago, someone has to port this patch. It's not possible for every patch and if it is possible, nobody does it because it's a lot of work.

Short version: if there is no ROM based on Android 10 or 11 for your device you have to live without patches :-(

Hope that helps.

NovusDeus

Dec 9, 2017
Well, yes and no.

But thanks for clarifying. I hoped there was a way to install those easily.

Do you happen to know if, hypothetically, I even had any chance to patch my rom with just the flashable zip or am I missing some crucial source files?

el.corzo

Sep 19, 2017
Frankfurt
You can download the sources of Lineage OS 14, patch them, compile them, install them and you have all the security fixes.
As said. This is a lot of work and requires good amount of knowledge. With that time and energy you could port Lineage OS 17 for your tablet instead. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot!
    You have two problems here.
    First: Google does NOT publish security patches for every Android version forever. After some time (3 years i think) is that Version deprecated and does not become patches from Google.

Second: those patches are not in form of a "ready-to-install" software. They are source code patches. You can see them as something like _r67 after the Android Version. So you or someone else must build them.

For a recent, supported ROM like LineageOS 18.1 the ROM developer does this for you. You get it when you update Lineage.
    For Android 7, which deprecated long ago, someone has to port this patch. It's not possible for every patch and if it is possible, nobody does it because it's a lot of work.

Short version: if there is no ROM based on Android 10 or 11 for your device you have to live without patches :-(

Hope that helps.