How to Avoid Verizon Bloat on Verizon Nexus 6?

Search This thread

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
Obviously I don't have a Verizon Nexus 6 as it is not yet available. But from what I have gleaned from this forum is that if you do get a Verizon N6, you can avoid bloat being installed if you activate and set it up over WiFi WITHOUT the SIM card in it. Supposedly, that avoids all of the bloat being installed.

With an unlockable bootloader, it shouldn't be an issue to remove bloat, but why not prevent it from being installed in the first place? Of course, if some of that "bloat" is necessary for VoLTE, well then you would have to do a factory reset and go through set up again with the Verizon SIM card in the phone.

Last edited:

BitNotFound

Oct 7, 2013
Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Galaxy Gear
The thing is, though, the bloat that gets installed is an application or two like the Verizon account manager and whatever. It really doesn't install bloat like Flipboard or Dropbox.

I recommend leaving the SIM in the phone to properly activate the device when being set up, or you risk certain features not being set up properly. If it installs anything, remember, they are 100% uninstallable applications. I'm not sure why everybody is so averse to it. Even T-Mobile only installing the account manager got people upset. Juste don't buy the phone from Verizon and you avoid the actual bloat like the boot animation, ringtones, back panel branding, and other stuff.

Unless there is something I'm not aware of, just set up the phone with the SIM card.

DebianDog

Dec 4, 2010
Yes I am on Verizon right now with my N6 but even when they do go live with a lot of "bloat" it is easily disabled or "frozen" without root. This phone was designed to be easy to program and will not be easily locked down by VZW.

Even though I would highly suggest you do unlock your phone and root it. I have been on Verizon for over 6 years and I have never not rooted. I am very anti bloat, anti advertisements, and hate having apps I will never use running on my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Last edited:

crachel

Retired Senior Moderator
Jul 13, 2008
Texas
With an unlockable bootloader, it shouldn't be an issue to remove bloat, but why not prevent it from being installed in the first place?

This statement tells me you don't quite understand what's going on here. It's non sequitur.

The bootloader is indeed unlockable but this has nothing whatsoever to do with removing this bloatware. This isn't like when they used to include bloat on the /system partition. These apps are installed from the Play Store and can be fully removed by simply uninstalling them. Taking your SIM out to set the phone up is utterly pointless

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
The only thing different the Verizon model should have different is the carrier specific ring tones, Verizon boot animation, and possibly boot sound. Everything else is the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Premium HD app

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
This statement tells me you don't quite understand what's going on here. It's non sequitur.

The bootloader is indeed unlockable but this has nothing whatsoever to do with removing this bloatware.
I understand perfectly fine. Unlocking a Motorola bootloader has everything to do with getting root and you need root to get rid of MyVerizon, NFL Mobile and Verizon Navigator.

While you may be satisfied with letting the bloat take up storage on your phone, others are not (especially when you only have 32GB and no SD card). The Verizon bloat is not removable w/o root and root is not possible on these newer Motorola phones w/o unlocking the bootloader. I know, I have a Verizon Moto X 2014 and it sucks to have this crapware take up storage on your device when it only has 32GB to begin with and no SD card. If you don't have root, you can only disable the Verizon bloatware, not remove it.

This isn't like when they used to include bloat on the /system partition. These apps are installed from the Play Store and can be fully removed by simply uninstalling them.
No they cannot. They can only be disabled. You aren't on Verizon are you? If you were, you would know that you can't remove the bloat w/o root.

Taking your SIM out to set the phone up is utterly pointless
No it's not for the reason I said. You would have to unlock the bootloader, get root and then you could remove the bloatware.

We shall see if Verizon forces the bloat onto the Nexus 6, but since they did with the GNex and since 2 of these apps are paid features through Verizon, I am certain they will do it.

Last edited:

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
The only thing different the Verizon model should have different is the carrier specific ring tones, Verizon boot animation, and possibly boot sound. Everything else is the same.
There isn't a chance in heck that they won't load MyVerizon, Verizon Navigator and NFL Mobile onto the Verizon N6. They will be loaded just like they were with the GNex.

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
I understand perfectly fine. Unlocking a Motorola bootloader has everything to do with getting root and you need root to get rid of MyVerizon, NFL Mobile and Verizon Navigator.

While you may be satisfied with letting the bloat take up storage on your phone, others are not (especially when you only have 32GB and no SD card). The Verizon bloat is not removable w/o root and root is not possible on these newer Motorola phones w/o unlocking the bootloader. I know, I have a Verizon Moto X 2014 and it sucks to have this crapware take up storage on your device when it only has 32GB to begin with and no SD card. If you don't have root, you can only disable the Verizon bloatware, not remove it.

No they cannot. They can only be disabled. You aren't on Verizon are you? If you were, you would know that you can't remove the bloat w/o root.

No it's not for the reason I said. You would have to unlock the bootloader, get root and then you could remove the bloatware.

We shall see if Verizon forces the bloat onto the Nexus 6, but since they did with the GNex and since 2 of these apps are paid features through Verizon, I am certain they will do it.

You're simply wrong here. OEM specific apps/changes are not installed on the /system partition on the Nexus 6. They are either installed at boot via the play store or added to the /oem partition. The bootanimation, sounds, etc that might be installed on the Verizon Nexus would not be removable without root. Any apps would be simply removed by normal means. Do some research before arguing and making yourself look foolish please.

Reactions: SilkyJohnson

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
You're simply wrong here. OEM specific apps/changes are not installed on the /system partition on the Nexus 6. They are either installed at boot via the play store or added to the /oem partition.
So I can remove them from my locked down tight Verizon Moto X 2014? How? I would like to get them off of my device, thanks.

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
Your Moto X isn't a Nexus. Go check out how the AT&T Nexus works. And do some reading on carrier apps on Nexus 6 as Google has already discussed how this will work.
So you are saying that if I left my N6 locked and unrooted, I would still be able to remove MyVerizon, Verizon Navigator and NFL Mobile?

RPelham

Dec 19, 2012
Tampa
I think you might be missing the point here. you are comparing apples and oranges. the Moto X is not a pure android experience device. The nexus is released by Google with the sole point of being pure android. that's why you can remove them without root on a nexus and not on a moto x.

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
I think you might be missing the point here. you are comparing apples and oranges. the Moto X is not a pure android experience device. The nexus is released by Google with the sole point of being pure android. that's why you can remove them without root on a nexus and not on a moto x.
Thanks, that is actually a helpful explanation (unlike the posts of other hostile posters who are unnecessarily rude). I will have to take a look at how as I don't remember that being possible on the GNex. It's been a long time since we have had a Nexus on Verizon and I am trying to remember what it was like, lol!

Reactions: RPelham

RPelham

Dec 19, 2012
Tampa
Thanks, that is actually a helpful explanation (unlike the posts of other hostile posters who are unnecessarily rude). I will have to take a look at it as I don't remember that being possible on the GNex.
no problem. don't forget, its Verizon. anything is possible for them. it wouldn't surprise me if by some 1 in a million chance they get away with loading their apps on the system partition (though I highly doubt it). its all speculation until the device is released. no one can confirm for sure who's right until someone buys it.

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
no problem. don't forget, its Verizon. anything is possible for them. it wouldn't surprise me if by some 1 in a million chance they get away with loading their apps on the system partition (though I highly doubt it). its all speculation until the device is released. no one can confirm for sure who's right until someone buys it.
This is how I feel about Verizon, too. Particularly since they made us wait so long for the N6. Although, I suspect that Google wanted VoLTE to work on the Verizon N6 at release so that may have been the cause of the delay.

I am going to test whether or not VoLTE as a feature sticks on my line by putting an iP6 on it, enabling VoLTE then putting my Moto X back on it. If the VoLTE feature sticks on my line, then I am going with the white N6 from Motorola and won't have to worry about this anyhow. I will flip an iPhone with my upgrade.

RPelham

Dec 19, 2012
Tampa
This is how I feel about Verizon, too. Particularly since they made us wait so long for the N6. Although, I suspect that Google wanted VoLTE to work on the Verizon N6 at release so that may have been the cause of the delay.

I am going to test whether or not VoLTE as a feature sticks on my line by putting an iP6 on it, enabling VoLTE then putting my Moto X back on it. If the VoLTE feature sticks on my line, then I am going with the white N6 from Motorola and won't have to worry about this anyhow. I will flip an iPhone with my upgrade.
might be the reason they waited so long, but IMO it took way too long. I was with Verizon and jumped ship after the n6 was released for 2 weeks and there was no release date in sight. I'm glad I did because I love my n6 and getting it over 3 months ago was nice! I'm glad I didn't wait, can't stand how long Verizon takes to release new hardware (even worst for software).

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
Thanks, that is actually a helpful explanation (unlike the posts of other hostile posters who are unnecessarily rude). I will have to take a look at how as I don't remember that being possible on the GNex. It's been a long time since we have had a Nexus on Verizon and I am trying to remember what it was like, lol!

It wasn't possible on GNex.

crachel

Retired Senior Moderator
Jul 13, 2008
Texas

I apologize if I came off as rude. As @RPelham said, it's all speculation at this point anyway. We don't know what Google let Verizon get away with. But it does appear likely theyll use the same OEM customization that the other carriers are using, which doesn't affect the /system partition

the_rooter

Aug 3, 2014
Olean
if your all so worried about the bloatware then buy from motorola or google. Its that simple. Heck even motorola offers a payment plan for their devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You're simply wrong here. OEM specific apps/changes are not installed on the /system partition on the Nexus 6. They are either installed at boot via the play store or added to the /oem partition. The bootanimation, sounds, etc that might be installed on the Verizon Nexus would not be removable without root. Any apps would be simply removed by normal means. Do some research before arguing and making yourself look foolish please.
    So I can remove them from my locked down tight Verizon Moto X 2014? How? I would like to get them off of my device, thanks.

Your Moto X isn't a Nexus. Go check out how the AT&T Nexus works. And do some reading on carrier apps on Nexus 6 as Google has already discussed how this will work.
    It's not that simple. First, you can't get a Verizon SIM card activated in a non-Verizon branded device. You have to have a SIM card that is already active on your line to be able to use non-Verizon branded devices on your line. I have a Moto X so it is no big deal to me, but those with Samsungs or other devices using micro SIM cards have to cut down their micro SIM cards to nano size.

Alternatively, some have been able to get the Verizon reps to activate the SIM in a display device but others have not been so lucky. Others have found random Verizon device IMEIs off of photos online that take nano SIMs and have been able to trick Verizon phone and chat reps into "activating" those IMEIs to get active SIM cards.

Then if you get the month to month discount on your line, many are finding that they can't get it to stick with a non-Verizon branded device on their line. Also, you won't be offered the VoLTE feature on your line w/o a Verizon branded device on your line (the only exception to this BTW is the SIM-free iP6/6+). As I explained above, there may be ways to overcome that based on what I have read on iPhone forums. I am going to test it out soon and report back when I do.

However, using a non-Verizon branded device on a Verizon line is not even a little bit simple. Verizon is not a GSM carrier; the Verizon network is 2 separate networks - CDMA and LTE. The CDMA whitelist creates obstacles to activating non-Verizon branded devices on a Verizon line and then there are the line discount and VoLTE issues.

Again not trying to sound rude but what u posted above isnt that big of a deal. I have a droid turbo just for this case. If i ever want to change the plan I take the sim card out of the nexus and put it in the turbo. Make the change and then swap it back over to the nexus. Extra step but again no big deal. Voice and data should be included in the 5.1 update for all carriers and devices of the nexus 6. Google wouldnt just allow verizon to do this to their devices. Its already been the talk that voice and data to work together in the next big update. people are making this all a major issue when its not.