• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To: Back Cover Swap. From Midnight Blue to Cloud White

Search This thread

psychomaniac189

Feb 27, 2009
Wisconsin
dude. I might just get a case for that price. Thanks for the link!

Yea but then the blue M logo looks retarded.

It looks ok. I got the matte black and it doesn't stick out so much. the blue is really dark.

any update on the housing? i found this link just now. how would this work? I would just like to replace the outer blue metal to white.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301595833737?lpid=82&chn=ps

jobewright

Jul 1, 2015
Just did this and decided to share a few pics as well.

I saw a few people talking about using razorblades, but I found a video that points out a hole in the back of the sim slot, once the tray is removed. The most terrigying part for me was that the black plate under the back and above the battery seemed to want to come off with the adhesive, but after a bit of wiggling, everything just worked. My fear was that something wouldn't be aligned, as I'm terrible with applying decals or skins, but this thing went in EASY. I see most people getting them on ebay but I found mine on strive mobile repairs (no link since I'm new) for 30ish with two day shipping and tools.

Attachments

• DSC_0274.jpg
    DSC_0274.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 1,086
  • DSC_0275.jpg
    DSC_0275.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,070
  • DSC_0276.jpg
    DSC_0276.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • DSC_0277.jpg
    DSC_0277.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 1,054
I saw a few people talking about using razorblades, but I found a video that points out a hole in the back of the sim slot, once the tray is removed. The most terrigying part for me was that the black plate under the back and above the battery seemed to want to come off with the adhesive, but after a bit of wiggling, everything just worked. My fear was that something wouldn't be aligned, as I'm terrible with applying decals or skins, but this thing went in EASY. I see most people getting them on ebay but I found mine on strive mobile repairs (no link since I'm new) for 30ish with two day shipping and tools.

Nice work.

jobewright

Jul 1, 2015

Thanks. Only complaint that I have is that before figuring out the sim hole thing, I scratched some of the metal on the bottom of the phone trying to figure out how to get into it. For me, this has been something I've wanted to do since I got the phone from at&t. The last vestige of at&t is finally gone from this thing. LOL. I'm seriously considering getting another at some point and painting it/customizing it before doing the swap.

mustyrash

Nov 19, 2012
Reactions: nooganator

Arak-Nafein

Sep 9, 2010
Someone tried that with the dbrand skin and it started to flake after a couple of days.

Plastidip takes 7 days to fully cure.

I dipped my motorcycle several months ago and it's still fine (My knees rub on one of the dipped areas). Plastidip will scuff easily, but it's pretty durable if applied correctly. (I recommend at least 6 heavy layers, 30-45 minutes between each layer, sprayed from no further than 10 inches) I dipped a phone case as well and it's still holding up great months later. It looks kinda crappy from all the scuffs, but it isn't "flaking off". Plastidip doesn't "flake" at all. It's like plastic, it stretches and tears, but it doesn't flake, unless sprayed improperly.

The only problem with plastidip is if you're digging something sharp into it. So, if you had your phone and your keys in the same pocket(You monster!) you could potentially wear a hole into the dip.

Last edited:
Reactions: amerino1

Krunk83

Jul 31, 2012
I disconnected the button and power wire accidentally while removing my back plate. Anyone know how it reconnects? It's the part where the tape covers the piece.

jason.912

May 9, 2012
Thanks to this I now have a "Moto X Pro"..... Well minus the moto feature sets, but hey Nexus is better anyway.

48878462a4956b0cb0593d5d24822ce1.jpg

Excuse the crappy photo quality, my daughters iPad camera isn't that great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I wasn't too big of a fan of the Midnight Blue color, but it was the only color available from T-Mobile, so I went with it. I purchased a white back cover from ebay and this is how I swapped it out.

Link to back purchased:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261685948756?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

First is the replacement cover itself. It comes with adhesive already applied and a blue cover to be removed before sticking on.

To take the cover off the Nexus 6 I used a dull razor blade, as it was the only thing I could find that wold fit between the back cover and the metal housing. I stuck it in the bottom corner because I thought it would make it easier to peel up. I also put a piece of electrical tape at the point where the razor would touch the metal housing to avoid chipping the metal.

WARNING!!!! There is a ribbon next to the power and volume buttons that will pull up with the cover when removing make sure to use your finger to hold it down as you pull on the cover. Take your time.

Peel off protective cover of new back and stick on . Pretty simple.

Finished.

I do like it wayyyy better than the midnight blue back color. The blue was too boring for me and I am actually liking the 3 tone with white,black and blue. However, once they release the housing I will replace with the housing shipped on the Cloud White model to get rid of the blue. Also remember cloud white is slightly off white so don't a bright white. And thanks to ifixit for the instructions for removing back cover.

And FYI, the white cover has the same texture as the blue. It is also a fingerprint magnet as well, but less visible in most lighting due to the color.
    Just so everyone knows, there is a much easier way to remove the back. If you pull the SIM card tray out there is a pinhole in the frame. You can stick something through there to push the back cover off enough to get a guitar pick or plastic pry tool in there. Not sure if the stock SIM removal tool is long enough but I was able to push it off with my Moto X SIM removal tool. This way you don't risk damaging the back with razors and screwdrivers or whatever other crazy stuff you have laying around...
    Just thought I'd point this out, looks like the middle housings are becoming available on eBay. I ordered the white one, will report back once it arrives. My plan is to convert my blue ATT N6 to a white unmarked N6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25177448814...49&var=550699842251&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Again, i'll report back once it arrives.

Thanks

Dan
    There's a rubber paint that I saw at home depot for random stuff like painting your rims and dumb things and its made by krylon if I recall correctly. There is also a sand textured paint for outdoor decor which looked interesting. I'll have to see which one I want before I buy the back.

PlastiDip :)
    I hear ya. I won't even go that far any more. These are me new favorites. 30 seconds to apply, 10 seconds to remove, no challenge:D

Btw, you can get that case and other colors for $2.69 here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...ola-Nexus-6-Phone-Cases-Fits/32275041195.html

And Spigen Neo Hybrid clones here for $3.39 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015...-Cell-Phone-Cover-Back-Cases/32283649636.html I ordered one of these.