• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How to boot into recovery of start 101 tablet?

Search This thread

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021
Hi, i have a start 101 tablet with a Cortex-A9 cpu, a WM8850 chipset and a Mali-400 GPU and i do have root, it has android 4.0.3, im not very good in these things but i wanted to install google apps on this tablet, i already found a site that gives some links to some zip files for every android version, but i don't know how to install them. The site that gave those zip said that you need to boot into the recovery of the device and press install from zip, but the problem is that my recovery doesn't have any menu on it.
So 2 days ago i tried finding a way to boot into the recovery, holding the power button and volume up do not take me to the recovery, they take me to a screen which says "do you want to do system recovery? press power button before 10 seconds to confirm" and if i press the power button the tablet factory resets, if i wait 10 seconds the tablet shuts down, i also tried holding the power and volume down buttons but they just took me to normal android.
Now yesterday i found a way to boot into the recovery by using an adb command or by using an app called "Reboot manager ROOT", but the problem is that when i use abd or this app and reboot to the recovery, an android robot with a red triangle appears without any menu on it, and searching this on the internet i was told to basically press power and volume up / down untill a menu appears but i can't get this menu to show up, and since there is no menu if i hold the power button to reboot im stuck into this boot to recovery loop unless i factory reset which works and takes me back to normal android, so then i was thinking that maybe the recovery in this tablet does not exist but is that possible? im not very experienced with this but i also found out about custom recovery yesterday, so after like 5 hours on the internet i found a cwm recovery for my chipset and i saw a video on youtube that said that if you had a twrp/cwm recovery for the same chipset of your android device you can make a custom recovery for your device, the video i followed is this:

so i made this custom recovery img file now but how can i flash it? or can i just use the recovery that is already into my tablet to install the google apps?
because i searched the internet a bit and it seems that for flashing a recovery you need to go to the bootloader but i can't access this thing for some reason, power + volume down takes me to normal android so then i tried adb reboot bootloader but it also takes me to normal android, then i also tried the same app i used to reboot into recovery (reboot manager root) but pressing the reboot to bootloader buttons also does not work (it asks for root permission, i press allow and then it reboots to normal android) same with the reboot to download mode button, then as a last attemp i downloaded an app called "flashify" which basically allows to flash recovery, zip and etc, so i first tried to flash the recovery but pressing the button choose file made the app freeze, so then i tried the flash zip option to maybe flash google apps without recovey, but after choosing the zip it gets stuck at downloading 92% and the app freezes and it doesn't seem to have installed the google apps, do you know if there is any way to boot into this bootloader to flash this cwm recovery or maybe any way i can get the normal recovery to work?

i also have the tablet model url, here it is: http://www.start-tablet.it/tablet_start10_it.php
you can also get the english page version here: http://www.start-tablet.it/tablet_start10_en.php
also sorry for my bad english and bad explanation,

thanks for the help!

I also found a picture of what the normal recovery shows me, i will attach the jpg.
android recovery fail.jpg

Reactions: Ko Min Min Soe

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021
Every Android device has a bootloader, unless it gets removed by user: without a bootloader Android OS couldn't get started.
hi and thanks for the reply, well then do you know any way i can access it? because the guy at the shop said that my tablet was too old that it didn't have one, i tried going into the bootloader with adb using the computer and also using an app on the tablet itself, both of those method don't work and they just boot normal android.

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
ADB deals with Android OS, whereas FastBoot deals with device's bootloader: totally different softwares.
To operate on its bootloader, device's bootloader must get made accessible, known as get unlocked: this gets enabled within Android -> Settings -> Developer options.

FYI: As with Android, recovery refers to the dedicated, bootable partition that has the recovery console installed from which you can perform specific tasks.

Last edited:

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021
ADB deals with Android OS, whereas FastBoot deals with device's bootloader: totally different softwares.
To operate on its bootloader, device's bootloader must get made accessible, known as get unlocked: this gets enabled within Android -> Settings -> Developer options.

FYI: As with Android, recovery refers to the dedicated, bootable partition that has the recovery console installed from which you can perform specific tasks.
hi, what i meant is i tried to type adb reboot bootloader into the cmd and it booted to normal android, now im going to turn on the tablet and go into the developer option to check if there is a bootloader thing to enable, so how do i unlock it? i go to the developer option and then what do i need to press?

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, i have a start 101 tablet with a Cortex-A9 cpu, a WM8850 chipset and a Mali-400 GPU and i do have root, it has android 4.0.3, im not very good in these things but i wanted to install google apps on this tablet, i already found a site that gives some links to some zip files for every android version, but i don't know how to install them. The site that gave those zip said that you need to boot into the recovery of the device and press install from zip, but the problem is that my recovery doesn't have any menu on it.
    So 2 days ago i tried finding a way to boot into the recovery, holding the power button and volume up do not take me to the recovery, they take me to a screen which says "do you want to do system recovery? press power button before 10 seconds to confirm" and if i press the power button the tablet factory resets, if i wait 10 seconds the tablet shuts down, i also tried holding the power and volume down buttons but they just took me to normal android.
    Now yesterday i found a way to boot into the recovery by using an adb command or by using an app called "Reboot manager ROOT", but the problem is that when i use abd or this app and reboot to the recovery, an android robot with a red triangle appears without any menu on it, and searching this on the internet i was told to basically press power and volume up / down untill a menu appears but i can't get this menu to show up, and since there is no menu if i hold the power button to reboot im stuck into this boot to recovery loop unless i factory reset which works and takes me back to normal android, so then i was thinking that maybe the recovery in this tablet does not exist but is that possible? im not very experienced with this but i also found out about custom recovery yesterday, so after like 5 hours on the internet i found a cwm recovery for my chipset and i saw a video on youtube that said that if you had a twrp/cwm recovery for the same chipset of your android device you can make a custom recovery for your device, the video i followed is this:

so i made this custom recovery img file now but how can i flash it? or can i just use the recovery that is already into my tablet to install the google apps?
    because i searched the internet a bit and it seems that for flashing a recovery you need to go to the bootloader but i can't access this thing for some reason, power + volume down takes me to normal android so then i tried adb reboot bootloader but it also takes me to normal android, then i also tried the same app i used to reboot into recovery (reboot manager root) but pressing the reboot to bootloader buttons also does not work (it asks for root permission, i press allow and then it reboots to normal android) same with the reboot to download mode button, then as a last attemp i downloaded an app called "flashify" which basically allows to flash recovery, zip and etc, so i first tried to flash the recovery but pressing the button choose file made the app freeze, so then i tried the flash zip option to maybe flash google apps without recovey, but after choosing the zip it gets stuck at downloading 92% and the app freezes and it doesn't seem to have installed the google apps, do you know if there is any way to boot into this bootloader to flash this cwm recovery or maybe any way i can get the normal recovery to work?

i also have the tablet model url, here it is: http://www.start-tablet.it/tablet_start10_it.php
    you can also get the english page version here: http://www.start-tablet.it/tablet_start10_en.php
    also sorry for my bad english and bad explanation,

thanks for the help!

I also found a picture of what the normal recovery shows me, i will attach the jpg.
    android recovery fail.jpg