[HOW TO] Bootloader Unlock any G7 ThinQ except T-Mobile w/o octoplus

Search This thread

Bruhmanegod

Sep 12, 2020
Help. Bootloop and no os detected g710-ulm

Dude I need SERIOUS HELP. One of my friends is stuck on bootloop. It doesn't detect any OS and cannot flash any kdz since the lg up doesn't detect his phone. He made everything from this post. After doing something into magisk manager he rebooted the phone and ended up like this.

you can contact me in instagram: 0xc000743.undefined_string

lefttobleed

Apr 20, 2010
Dude I need SERIOUS HELP. One of my friends is stuck on bootloop. It doesn't detect any OS and cannot flash any kdz since the lg up doesn't detect his phone. He made everything from this post. After doing something into magisk manager he rebooted the phone and ended up like this.

you can contact me in instagram: 0xc000743.undefined_string
SERIOUS HELP!!! seriously??? ....
What does the first sentence in OP say???

Anyways.... Just flash original boot image again.

Bruhmanegod

Sep 12, 2020
SERIOUS HELP!!! seriously??? ....
What does the first sentence in OP say???

Anyways.... Just flash original boot image again.

can you provide me a link for that? and yeah, he needed serious help, since he is new in this thing of "ROOTING DEVICES". he hadnt any knowledge at all, so he tried and he failed lol.

Last edited:

lefttobleed

Apr 20, 2010
can you provide me a link for that? and yeah, he needed serious help, since he is new in this thing of "ROOTING DEVICES". he hadnt any knowledge at all, so he tried and he failed lol.
Yes. But the first sentence in this thread says not to follow the thread, so.....
Anyways he needs to find the boot image for the version kdz he has installed. Then go to qfil/fastboot and flash it. Tutorials for flashing are easily available in xda.

Bruhmanegod

Sep 12, 2020
Yes. But the first sentence in this thread says not to follow the thread, so.....
Anyways he needs to find the boot image for the version kdz he has installed. Then go to qfil/fastboot and flash it. Tutorials for flashing are easily available in xda.

He knew this method was obsolete. The new one seemed to be in some way harder than this one(?. Besides that, thanks for the help.

manhnhanpro

Nov 25, 2012
Is your device bootloader unlocked yet?

I did, which is why i included sprint instructions also.
Hi. many thanks with your thread. !
I have a G7 Sprint phone, it on 30b ULM ( Android 10 ) and i want to root it to flash custom rom. I have read your instructions on being to flash it back to oringinal rom ( Oreo ) first to unable fastboot ?
But i have some questions as below :
1. When i flash it back to oreo : Imei, cellular, signal still ok ?
2. Anyway to get full backup before if something goes wrong ?
3. When it have rooted and TWRP then can i flash any custom rom ( Pixel,MIUI....) in android 10 base ?
Thanks you !

blabla427

Oct 23, 2020
Hmmm, no I didn't try that specific KDZ as it is the 10g firmware and not the one used in the guide which is a newer ULM Oreo firmware, the 11G. Is there something special about the firmware you are asking about?

didnt work i tried both on my lg g710n which was android Q.i cant boot into bootloader both of them.but when i flash 10g it change my software version to g710n10g.Same to 11g too. it only went downgrad??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This method is now considered obsolete, Please checkout the EDL process as it is safer and easier to do

https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/howto-unlock-bootloader-root-g7s-t-mo-t4077105

In this guide we will be using the ULM firmware to do the needed unlocking so if you have any data you need to keep, then please backup any all data before starting.

Sprint users will be stuck on ULM and T-Mobile DO NOT TRY THIS!!

This instruction was made for testing and educational purposes. Use this instruction only at your own risk. Contributors or someone else are not responsible for bricked or broken devices.

First you will need to flash ULM firmware to proceed with the guide by using this link to flash the firmware:
    Code:
    Url to guide to flash firmware:
    https://xdaforums.com/lg-g7-thinq/how-to/cross-flash-oreo-pie-firmwares-lg-g7-g7-t3915303
    Firmware needed:
    https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/17341/G710ULM11g_01_NAO_US_OP_1112.kdz

After you have flashed ULM 11G rom check if you can still enter bootloader.
    Easy way to check if doing the following command:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

If you can then boot using the following boot image 710ULM11g_rootedboot.img with:
    Code:
    Boot image download:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1899786940962574205
    Command to boot it:
    fastboot boot 710ULM11g_rootedboot.img

After that install magisk manager as the boot image is pre-rooted with Magisk.
    Enable usb debugging in developer settings, also enable oem unlock in dev settings, and copy over file abl_a.img to internal storage
    Now use adb shell to run the following command as SU:
    (yes this is 2 different commands!! And they will fail if not run as SU)
    Code:
    ABL_A image download:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1899786940962574206
    Commands to flash abl_a:
    dd if=/sdcard/abl_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_a
    dd if=/sdcard/abl_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_b

Now reboot to bootloader by doing:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Now issue this fastboot command:
    This will erase all data!
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

Thats it! You are now bootloader unlocked.
    If you are on sprint you are stuck on ULM which is fine, but updating to ULM Pie will lose fastboot so stay on oreo for now!

Any other device other than G710PM can use lgup to flash back to there respective firmware, but as of now only EM/EMW/ULM current have root till others create a rooted firmware to flash to or twrp is created for the other firmwares.

Credits to: Lame Monster & Hạo Thiên
    Uhuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes!
    My lg g7 is...EMW and nowSUCCESSFULLY UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER and DEVICE IS ROOTED.
    That didn't take too long time.
    Thanks to the creator of the tutorial.

I am very noob about this. I will rewrite the tutorial ok here the steps I did procceed hope it is useful for another noob

Sorry to repeat the informations, I am just trying to be more inforrmative.

OBSERVATION: I am not responsible for any damage. This instruction was made for testing and educational purposes. Use this instruction only at your own risk. Contributors or someone else are not responsible for bricked or broken devices.

OBSERVATION: You will need adb and fastboot minimal folder.

OBSERVATION: This tutorial is a bit more detailed for noobs.

0) As zero step, download the biggest file to save your time. Don't rename the file, but let's call it informally as KDZ big file. Download link: https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/17341/G710ULM11g_01_NAO_US_OP_1112.kdz
    0.1) Download latest LG Mobile driver installer (optional: but do not install it in the case you consider necessary to disable driver signature verification in Windows. Check the next step. I am careful so I did act to disable driver signature verification): https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-mobile-drivers-and-software-CT10000027-20150179827560
    0.2) (Optional) Considering you have Windows 10 or 8, I will show you How to Disable Driver Signature Verification. For now, press Windows button. Focus the mouse in shut down but do not click. Try to find restart button but do not click. Press and hold left shift. While holding shift press restart. Windows will restart in a way like a tool panel. When you see the panel click in Troubleshoot and later Advanced options, later click in Startup settings, and you will see a list and a button to restart. See the item 7 of the list and read it for yourself. Click the button restart. it will restarts and the same list will be shown again you will click in the button 7 in your keyboard.
    0.3) Install LG Mobile driver properly. We are ready to go!
    1) Please, backup the data of the phone into your notebook HD (export WhatsApp conversation to google drive, export phone notes, save the apps name you use, the musics and videos). If you don't have anything to save more, let's go.
    2) Download this: LGUP new version - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dJZxrj7nteDDUcQpiJLpX9Mjumm5mtKp/view
    3) Install the file you downloaded above (LGUP).
    4) Download this: LGUP common.dll https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V8IF2vJed3bQBsBCHLNBJdnW4gRj2uo0/view
    5) Open the file downloaded and you will see the folder common. Copy the folder common and paste inside the folder model of the folder of the installation of the LGUP. For example: C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model
    6) You are doing great! Congratulations. Let's proceed with 7.
    7) Get phone in hands. Turn off it. Press and hold volume up and connect the phone into notebook. once appears download mode panel you unhold volume up softly.
    7.1) When you connect the phone in download mode LG device must show in Windows Device Manager under "Ports" as a LG Serial COM port. Check it.
    8) Everything is fine? Did you complete the download of the big KDZ? Put the big KDZ file in C:\ localization root.
    9) Let's open a command prompt as administrator. Now, in the command prompt input, type:

cd <path of LGUP folder>

Example:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP

10) Is your phone com5? If the answer is yes, you only have to type this code and run in the command prompt:

lgup_cmd.exe com5 "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll" "C:\G710ULM11g_01_NAO_US_OP_1112.kdz"

11) Are you unsure if your phone is com5? just modify com5 to comX replacing X with the properly number. For my EMW worked with com5.

lgup_cmd.exe comX "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll" "C:\G710ULM11g_01_NAO_US_OP_1112.kdz"

12) Wait 5 minutes, less or more.

13) it is completed! Remove the plug of the device.

14) Turn off download mode by pressing and holding volume down and power. The phone will turn off.

15) Turn on the phone.

16) It is like a new phone you have to conclude the phone configuration.

17) Get developer options enabled in your phone, enable usb depuration and OEM UNLOCK.

18) While the phone is turned on, connect to the notebook with USB cable.

19) Open command prompt as administrator, type this code:

cd <path of minimal adb and fastboot folder>

Example

cd C:\Android-FastBoot-Adb

Don't have adb and fastboot minimal folder? Research in google and download. If you don't know what is the folder, it contains fastboot.exe inside.

20) Type this code now: adb reboot bootloader

21) Do not close the command prompt. Verify if the phone is going to bootloader. It should.

21) Download this file now (file name: "710ULM11g_rootedboot.img") link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1899786940962574205

22) Please, move the downloaded file ("710ULM11g_rootedboot.img") to inside of the minimal adb and fastboot folder. Back to the command prompt and type this:

23) It will boot the phone on. Remove the phone from the usb cable. Here the phone will boot normally but the will show that Android is updating. You are on a prerooted image.

24) Do not reboot or turn off the phone, otherwise you will have to boot that image again. Get developer options in the phone.

25) Allow USB depuration and allow oem unlock.

26) Check if the Magisk Manager is already installed in the phone. You will see Magisk Manager needs to update version and magisk isn't installed. You can update Magisk Manager as well, but do not reboot the phone otherwise you have to apply again the code fastboot boot 710ULM11g_rootedboot.img

27) While the phone is turned on, connect again to the cable USB to the notebook.

28) Open command prompt as administrator.

29) Type this:

cd <path of minimal adb and fastboot folder>

Example

cd C:\Android-FastBoot-Adb

31) Download this immediately: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1899786940962574206

32) Copy over file abl_a.img to internal storage of your LG G7. You are ready to proceed. In command prompt, type this now:

adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/sdcard/abl_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_a; dd if=/sdcard/abl_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_b'"

33) Now type this to reboot to bootloader:

adb reboot bootloader

34) Now issue this fastboot command (This will erase all data!):

fastboot oem unlock

35) Still dont close the command prompt. When complete, turn off the phone. Remove the phone from the cable usb.

36) Turn on the phone.

37) Configure your new phone set data time, Wifi credentials, email. Set developers options. Activate USB depuration.

38) Connect the phone to the USB cable.

39) Type this in the command prompt to go to bootloader:

adb reboot bootloader

40) Lets flash again that image, you should type this in the command prompt:

41) The phone will turn on, you can remove from the usb cable.

42) Open the app magisk manager. Now is the time !!! You will click to install magisk directly (or download and install Magisk zip file). You can update magisk manager, install magisk. After install magisk, restart the phone (just click to reboot).

43) proccess done.

Note about step 42: an user related Magisk Manager wasn't opening and it was resolved by downloading and installing Magisk apk from Magisk website. Another way to solve the problem is reboot phone and flash again the pre-rooted image to get Magisk Manager opening again, because you did update Magisk Manager.

I did these steps with success I hope you also.

Some logs of mine

///////////////////////////////////////
    My logs of important things...
    1) Command: adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/sdcard/abl_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_a; dd if=/sdcard/abl_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_b'"
    ---> logs
    C:\secretsecretsecret\Sandro_fastboot>adb shell "su -c 'dd if=/sdcard/abl_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_a; dd if=/sdcard/abl_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_b'"
    2048+0 records in
    2048+0 records out
    1048576 bytes transferred in 0.074 secs (14169945 bytes/sec)
    2048+0 records in
    2048+0 records out
    1048576 bytes transferred in 0.066 secs (15887515 bytes/sec)

2) Command: C:\secretsecretsecret\Sandro_fastboot>fastboot oem unlock
    ---> logs
    (bootloader) Erasing userdata and cache
    OKAY [ 0.623s]
    finished. total time: 0.623s
    Nice work. If you could write up a more detailed tutorial on your process, it would be appreciated.

What i have done:
    after bootloader unlock went to stock (i have to make factory reset 3-4 times before LGUP can see my phone other than "unknown")
    Connect to LGUP and flash only boot_b using Partition Dl
    Then boot with 710ULM11g_rootedboot.img:
    Code:
    With adb go to adb shell and pull boot_b:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_b of=/sdcard/boot_stock.img
    Launch Magisk app->install->choose and patch->choose stock img
    Then push patched rooted image to boot_a and boot_b:
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/download/magisk_patched.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a
    dd if=/sdcard/download/magisk_patched.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_b
    In the end flash new ROM with LGUP in Partition Dl mode and select all besides boot_a and boot_b
    P.s. You can skip pulling stock boot and extract it from kdz using https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2600575
    or you can use attached files http://bit.ly/2lZSUAr

P.p.s. I made it in such awkward way because last time i messed up with fastboot and download mode and have to pay for Octopus.
    Indeed, it was v20f.

Was the firmware v20f? Also the only difference I can think of between the process to root v20f IND and this thread is that we would need v20f boot image. Right?

You are right...., what I did was
    1. Downloaded and Extracted the boot.img from the firmware V20f using WindowsLGFirmwareExtract-1.2.6.1-Release ( https://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3975633&d=1482337024)
    2. Patched the firmware with latest magisk ( https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v7.3.5/MagiskManager-v7.3.5.apk ). ( Copy the extracted boot.img to internal memory or SD card of G7, install Magisk Manager, patch boot.img using magisk manager ).
    3. followed the instruction mentioned in the OP (opening post) of this thread.
    4. Voila my LG G7 was unlocked.......

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Got fastboot on my ULM (Pie European Firmware) (used this guide to unlock). Link to Llama's carbon rom? Is Llama's carbon rom GSI or specific for LG G7 Thinq?

---------- Post added at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

I think you need to flash ULM Oreo to unlock the bootloader if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong). OP doesn't mention EAW as supported device, I guess you have to try or check the thread for instruction on your version.

No, its not needed , you don't need to downgrade to oreo, I unlocked my EAW without downgrading to Oreo.
    I beleive and hope others having EAW too can unlock it .
    This post will serve for any other important information.

Sprint
    Once you are on ULM the data/wifi will continue to disconnect, so try your best to skip thru setup.
    Then once past setup, fill in your correct apn settings:
    Code:
    Name: internet
    APN: x.ispsn
    Proxy: Not Set
    Port: Not Set
    Username: Not Set
    Password: Not Set
    Server: Not Set
    MMSC: http://mms.sprintpcs.com
    MMS Proxy: oap7.sprintpcs.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 120
    Authentication Type: Not Set
    APN Type: default,supl,mms,cbs,ia
    APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
    APN Enable/Disable: APN Enabled
    Bearer: eHRPD, LTE
    MVNO Type: None

Now let the LTE connection stabilize and once it does check your notification and press cancel on the sprintDM connection update.
    Then disable sprintdm.apk which will now leave you will a fully functional working connection after reboot. If you happen to lose your profile settings for sprint or need to update connection settings like a profile update then re-enable sprintdm.apk