How to build linux 4.4.x for Galaxy msm8916 devices ?

Search This thread

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
Can help to build kernel 4.4.x for Galaxy msm8916 devices such as SM-T550 ?
There's a whole list of reasons why I won't be even trying to build 4.4 for msm8916:

1. I have no motivation to get the latest kernel running on a 2016 entry level device with only 1.5GB DRAM. With Android 12 and the msm8916 3.x kernel, there's barely 1GB DRAM free. If you use gapps, expect around 800MB DRAM free. I suspect newer kernels will take even more DRAM consumption.

2. The only mobile game I play requires a minimum of 1GB DRAM (free/unused) to play without randomly crashing due to low DRAM. Thus, I have no incentive/motivation put any effort into 1.5GB DRAM devices when there's no tangible benefits.

3. The Samsung proprietary blobs/drivers are written for the 3.x kernel and won't likely work with the 4.x kernel. Thus, things like gps, wifi, touchscreen, bluetooth may not work at all.

4. Merging/building a new kernel is not easy and involves thousands of commits and probably merge conflicts which must be solved manually which is time consuming and error prone. This effort will likely take multiple hundreds of hours.

5. Even if the 4.4 kernel could be compiled, there's no guarantee it will work reliably. All my 18.1 and 191. builds for msm8916 seem to work well with current 3.x kernel.

6. 4.4.302 is already a dead branch with EOL on Feb 2022. Why put in all that effort for a dead branch? Why not try to port 4.19 which is EOL Dec 2024 or 5.10 which is EOL Dec 2026?

Last edited:
There's a whole list of reasons why I won't be even trying to build 4.4 for msm8916:

1. I have no motivation to get the latest kernel running on a 2016 entry level device with only 1.5GB DRAM. With Android 12 and the msm8916 3.x kernel, there's barely 1GB DRAM free. If you use gapps, expect around 800MB DRAM free. I suspect newer kernels will take even more DRAM consumption.

2. The only mobile game I play requires a minimum of 1GB DRAM (free/unused) to play without randomly crashing due to low DRAM. Thus, I have no incentive/motivation put any effort into 1.5GB DRAM devices when there's no tangible benefits.

3. The Samsung proprietary blobs/drivers are written for the 3.x kernel and won't likely work with the 4.x kernel. Thus, things like gps, wifi, touchscreen, bluetooth may not work at all.

4. Merging/building a new kernel is not easy and involves thousands of commits and probably merge conflicts which must be solved manually which is time consuming and error prone. This effort will likely take multiple hundreds of hours.

5. Even if the 4.4 kernel could be compiled, there's no guarantee it will work reliably. All my 18.1 and 191. builds for msm8916 seem to work well with current 3.x kernel.

6. 4.4.302 is already a dead branch with EOL on Feb 2022. Why put in all that effort for a dead branch? Why not try to port 4.19 which is EOL Dec 2024 or 5.10 which is EOL Dec 2026?
Thanks for your prompt response
I have tried building 5.x however I hit the min GCC error during build.
So, tried falling back to 4.x as well which also hit some other issues.
Just out of curiosity, requested your guidance.