• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HOW TO: Build your own rom, by ITJE **UPDATED 11 nov**

Search This thread

itje

Retired Moderator
Jun 20, 2007
Kleppe
Itjes Guide on how to cook your own rom, fast and dirty J Part 1
First of all, this guide will not tell you everything you need, I cant show you where to find reg entries, where all files are located. It’s a guide that will show you the basics. I will tell you how to extract a official nbh to os.no, how to dump it to respective oem and sys folders where you will do your “cooking”
First of all download Hypercore Kitchen here, then run the install file.
You will now have a folder called hypercore on your desktop, and a folder called core, located on c:\core

After install, download this fixed batch folder: batch or from mirror here: Batch
Delete the batch folder in c:\
Extract it to c:\core, and replace the original one.

The reason for doing this, is that there had to be some changes in the batch files for it to work.
Now you have a functional hypercore kitchen and you can start working.

I am gonna release a OEM, SYS and ROM folder for you, but not yet. I want you to understand how mutch work it takes to build a rom, and you need to go through some of the steps that all the other chefs must when they build roms. Why not just make it simple and give you everything? There is a answer to that, and you might not like it: Because I don’t want to….
Download your official RUU from here
Use winrar or similar to extract the files in the installer, choose extract to a folder.
Open the folder you extracted the files to, and find the RUU_signed.nbh
Copy it to c:\core\tools

Open your command-promt (dos editor)
Go to c:\core\tools

Your command promt should now look something like this:

1.jpg

When this is done, you must enter this: nbhextract ruu_signed.nbh
The nbh will now be extracted and in the core\tools folder you now have all the files dumped from the nbh
The screen should now look something like this:

2.jpg

See the second last line Extracting: 06_OS.nb
That is the file you will need.
Rename the 06_OS.nb to OS.nb
Copy the OS.nb, then close the core\tools folder
Move to your desktop, and open the hypercore folder
Then enter the extract folder, and paste your OS.nb there
Go back to hypercore main folder, open the Panel folder, then open the Extract folder.
Inside the extract folder you will find a file/shortcut called Dump .nb and .bin

Now a panel will open and give you 4 options:
Now you are dumping the OS.nb into a xdump folder located in panel\extract

3.jpg

Your answer here is 1 since im doing this guide for heralds
Now a new window is gonna pop up and tell you that in that windows your OS.nb should be placed, and if you did what I told you correctly, then the OS.nb is located there already. So close that window, and then another option in the command promt will ask you to hit enter when ready, witch I now suppose you are.
The OS.nb is now being extracted into the xdump folder located in the extract folder. This takes aprox a minute or so.
When the OS.nb is finished extracting, you will get a option to start pkg.tools. just close that option,its not working for some reason, I never really looked into it, I just did a “workaround”
In panel\extract you will find pkg tool

Start the pkg tool, and you get a command promt window, read it, and then press enter.
Now you should see this:

4.jpg

Choose option 3
Pkg tools will now open.
Go to the file menu in upper left corner, chose open, then browse to hypercore\extract\xdump\
Highlight the dump folder and press ok.

GO TO NEXT POST IN THIS THREAD

Last edited:

itje

Retired Moderator
Jun 20, 2007
Kleppe
You should see something like this:

pkg.jpg

Forget the missing manifests.
Now choose the Tools meny in pkg tools, and build packages, this will only take max a minute. (you will see nothing, just wait a bit.
When you have done his, browse to you xdump folder, open it, inside you will see the dump folder, rename the dump folder (not the xdump) to packages.
Copy the new packages folder and paste it into the hypercore\extract folder. Then close the pkg tools.
From now on, I will not give you screenshots of everything. You should get the picture on how it works now.
You will see a new commandpromt window, giving you 5 options, you choose option 4: Move oem and sys to hypercore\build.
You will get a question if you wanna backup, type n for no this time.
This takes 2-3 minutes, depending on your computer. The oem and sys is being moved to hypercore/build. Where the building process is gonna happen.

Next step is to go back to hypercore\panel\extract.
Open the dump XIP tool, and you get a new pop up window, just close it and press enter in the command promt. A new commandpromt window show you option 1 and 2, do both options, and when you have done this, the oem, sys and rom folder contains all you need to cook.

But that comes in next lesson.

I have now written this as easy as I can, if you don’t understand this, I cant help you more in this process, because I cant give it to you in a easier fashion.

Have fun
Itje

itje

Retired Moderator
Jun 20, 2007
Kleppe
Part 2 of Itjes cooking lessons

How to add and remove and build your rom
I assume you have followed the instructions in the first part, learned to extract both the .nbh and the os.nb into rom, sys and oem folders.

My way of cooking:
First you need to find out what you want and not want in your rom. I will try to guide you into building a small apps rom.
So first I do, is deciding what I don’t want to have in my rom, and I usually go to the sys folder, and start removing stuff I don’t use:
But before you start removing in sys, highlight the sys folder, right click and choose properties, uncheck the read only box, if you don’t you can’t edit files.

Remove:
Transcriber + Transcriber_lang_04xx (xx is the country code in your rom) + Transcriber_ Lang_04xx_DPI_96
See what you need to do? Remove all the folders with the name transcriber in it
You can also do this with: Office, windowslive. Internetsharing, entertainment (games)
Be careful removing in SYS folder, delete wrong stuff, and you will have a brick when flashing.
That’s a easy “clean up” of the sys, there are also other stuff you can do.

You can make your own startup image, that is located in the Redist_dpi_96_resh_240_resv_320 folder, and is called welcomehead.96.png, edit with either adobe photoshop or corel, or any other picture editors that support png files.
Open the welcomehead.96.png and do your changes, save and your done. How to and all that with photos/pictures im not gonna do, so you need to find a way to do so yourself.
Now, you can go to OEM folder, where you can add and remove a lot off stuff.
I will not show you everything, you must figure some stuff out yourself.

But download OEM packages (This is easy to fin, its all over the xda forum.
Im assuming you have found in some stuff you wanna add, in.ex total commander, htc home, networkwizard, CommManager. Ocourse you can add more or less.
Add the oem packages into the oem folder. Total commander and networkwzard don’t require removal off default files from the oem folder, but comm. Manager do, and so do htc home. The way I use to find duplicate files, is before I add the oem packages, I open in.ex the new package with comm manager, and I highlight the OEM folder and rightclick and choose searchtab. Search for files, type in search “comm.” And all files containing the word “comm.” Will be displayed, dele them (make sure they belong to comm manager, that the names matches the one in your package)

When you have searched for all files in your package, and deleted them from the OEM folder, you can add you package.
Follow same steps for all packages you add, that can have duplicate files, if you don’t you will get error when building the rom, and the build process will terminate, tell you what file is duplicate. You must then find the file, and remove it (don’t remove the one in your new package)

You can also delete stuff from oem folder, I will take as example adobe.
The easy way to remove adobe, is to find a oem package with adobe, so you can see what files needs to be deleted. Use same way as I showed you with comm manager.
You can also delete gif files, png files and wav files to make more space, be carefulll so you don’t delete files that are needed by applications you wanna keep.
Now I hope this was clear enough.

Now you can go to the hypercore/panel/build section where you will find buildOS, run it it follow steps there.

If you get errors with duplicate files, you need to remove the duplicate and start buildOS again. And continue to do so if you get more errors.
But when the buildOS is finished, close it and a new window will pop up, chose your device, and press enter, and your os.nb will be built.
flash it to your device, and test it. If it didnt work, then you have done something wrong, or im just a lousy teacher ;)

This was a very easy guide, I hope you find it usefull. There are lot of things you can do more then I have described now, but all you need is posted all over the forum. And if your dedicated enough, you will find all you need, just be patient. You cant find it all in one day,and you cant understand it all in one day.

Have fun
Happy cooking
cheers

Last edited:

LordPhong

Apr 19, 2005
is the next part just making the extended rom portion? I think there's a tutorial somewhere on this site but I can't seem to remember off the top of my head, right now.

zacwhite15

Aug 23, 2007
Salt Lake City
hey itje the links for the new batch files doesnt seem to be working. i tried them and it just keeps popping up saying it cant DL

edit: nevermind i got it too work. it was blocked on the isp i was using.

Last edited:

LordPhong

Apr 19, 2005
thx

has anyone been sucessfull extracting nbh to os.nb to oem, sys and xip (rom folder) following this tutorial?

itje said:
Rename the 06_OS.nb to OS.nb
Copy the OS.nb, then close the core\tools folder

where do we copy the OS.nb to? Since, I didn't know, I, manually, had to do it.

itje said:
Copy the new packages folder and paste it into the hypercore\extract folderThen close the pkg tools.

This didn't work for me. I had to manually past it in %systemroot%\Core\Extract\Packages after I closed the pkgtools. For some reason, it didn't find the Packages folder correctly.

After that, I followed everything else and it worked fine. Just as you described. Just waiting for part dos (spanish not MS-DOS).

itje

Retired Moderator
Jun 20, 2007
Kleppe
EVERYTHING YOU ASK FOR IS ALLREADY THERE, START READING........

Just as its clear, from now im not gonna answer anyone who ask for something thats allready described in the tutorial.

But the link for ruu was not there, I'll give you that..