• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[How To] Bypass Lloyds and Santander Root Detection

Search This thread

loshabih

Jul 2, 2012
Well in my case. Downloaded used magisk hide and didn't give error. Magisk 23,android 11 latest riru and enhanced mode for magisk hide 2.0 by vvb2060

BTW magisk manager app renamed and frozen
Thanks for your reply

when i Open momo app it shows, found Riru, seccomp is disabled,
do you think this is the issue,

jimger

Dec 13, 2012
Cambridge,UK
OnePlus 8 Pro
Well in my case. Downloaded used magisk hide and didn't give error. Magisk 23,android 11 latest riru and enhanced mode for magisk hide 2.0 by vvb2060
BTW magisk manager app renamed and frozen
Thanks for your reply

when i Open momo app it shows, found Riru, seccomp is disabled,
do you think this is the issue,
So it seem it can detect riru. At least with the additional thing I do have (for isolation mode) it doesn't give me an error. Also don't forget to freeze magisk app....

jimger

Dec 13, 2012
Cambridge,UK
OnePlus 8 Pro
Really appreciate your help, how to hide riru?
magisk app is frozen
I do have this, u have another one
Zip: https://github.com/vvb2060/riru-unshare/releases/download/v2.0/riru-unshare-2.0.zip

Install that zip with magisk manager (I would say deactivate the momo, don't know momo) select your app to be hidden by magisk and reboot. Don't forget to freeze magisk renamed again. It works for me

tyler19820201

Jun 19, 2011
London
I have had success accessing Santander UK on a OnePlus 8 Pro rooted with Magisk. I've uploaded a video to show my settings and Magisk modules and although there are more modules installed now, I had success with just Riru and Riru-MomoHider installed. I'll include the steps I went through underneath as well, I don't know if only some of the steps are neccessary but this the combination of things that seemed to work for me. Hopefully, this helps some of you get Santander working!

1. Install latest (23.0) stable build of Magisk
2. Enable Magisk Hide and add the Santander app to the list
3. Hide the Magisk app
4. Install Riru module
5. Install Riru-MomoHider module (https://github.com/canyie/Riru-MomoHider ) - put zip file on phone and install module locally in Magisk)
6. Using a file explorer with root access go to \data\adb\modules\riru_momohider\config - create 4 files with the following names:
initrc
isolated
app_zygote_magic
setns
7. Install Airfrozen from Google Play Store
8. Add renamed Magisk in Airfrozen. Once added, long-press the icon and freeze app.
9. You should now have access to Santander app (if it does not work long-press, go to App Info and delete cache and data.
-Optional-
10. Once finished, add Santander app to list in Airfrozen and freeze Santander before thawing Magisk. This stops you needing to delete info and cache and having to login again on the app next time you wish to use. When you want to use Santander, freeze Magisk first and then thaw Santander.

Here is my workaround:
1. Install magisk and set up magisk hide. Hide Santander on magisk hide and rename magisk package. install the systemless module.
2. Then install any app freezer app and hide magisk app. I do not use AirFrozen but use AppFreezer http://wakasoftware.com/app-freezer-setup/ and/or SD Maid.
However i think u can use any app which is able to freeze properly magisk app. (properly meaning hiding the package name so u will not able to find it when browsing ur apps)
3. Install or reinstall Santander.

That is all. You do not really need any Riru or Riru-related modules at all!! Only the systemless module and hiding the magisk app with a third party app.

Working for me so should work for anybody.
That is all. No need to install unneccessary Momohider etc. modules.

Make sure u are closing santander and not running in the background when u want unfreeze and use magisk. Alternativatelly u can freeze Santander before using magisk and vica versa.

Tested on OP3T and OP8T

Last edited:
Reactions: D_JWhite

whatsisnametake2

Sep 15, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Here is my workaround:
1. Install magisk and set up magisk hide. Hide Santander on magisk hide and rename magisk package. install the systemless module.
2. Then install any app freezer app and hide magisk app. I do not use AirFrozen but use AppFreezer http://wakasoftware.com/app-freezer-setup/ and/or SD Maid.
However i think u can use any app which is able to freeze properly magisk app. (properly meaning hiding the package name so u will not able to find it when browsing ur apps)
3. Install or reinstall Santander.

That is all. You do not really need any Riru or Riru-related modules at all!! Only the systemless module and hiding the magisk app with a third party app.

Working for me so should work for anybody.
That is all. No need to install unneccessary Momohider etc. modules.

Make sure u are closing santander and not running in the background when u want unfreeze and use magisk. Alternativatelly u can freeze Santander before using magisk and vica versa.

Tested on OP3T and OP8T
thanks so much for this. this was the key. used sd maid to freeze the renamed magisk. santander halifax and mbna now all working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you so much @jimger , it worked like a charm, adding riru-unshare and deleting all the magisk-XXX.apk in the Downloads folder for good measure.
    Hi All,

I've seen mention of Santander but not of Lloyds bypassing the root detection. After much trial and error it's quite simple and my method will bypass both Santander and Lloyds. If bypassing Santander just do the same for the Santander app as ive said to do with Lloyds.

<--Update 08/06/19-->

Having flashed a new rom and following my steps again I received the detection message again but was resolved by using the Canary build of Magisk Manager.

To get Magisk Manager Canary click the link below:

https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_...pp-release.apk

Once installed, open Magisk Manager and go to

settings > Update Channel > Canary

Go back to Magisk home screen and swipe down to check for updates, you'll receive an update for the canary build. Once you update follow the guides original steps below.

<--End of update-->

In Magisk Manager Settings:
    Enable Magisk Hide
    Enable Sytemless Host
    And if the option is available select "Hide Magisk"

In Adaway:

Download my exported blacklist from:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xCBB4iVA65gJTTYqbhU1qTlghVYyAL1S/view?usp=drivesdk

Then in adaway click the 3 dots in the top right to open the menu, select "Your Lists" then press the menu button again in the top right and press "Import all lists" and select the file you downloaded.

With the urls added go back to the adaway main screen and press "Download Files and Apply ad blocking" and Reboot device. If "Download Files and Apply Ad Blocking" doesn't appear, click "check for updates" and then download them which will do the same thing.

Once your phone has restarted install the Lloyds Banking app but don't open it. Go into Magisk Manager and select Magisk Hide from the menu and tick the Lloyds Banking app. Reboot phone and Lloyds should work perfectly!

I managed to do this from researching other threads and adding my own bits in so credit due elsewhere as well, as usual you can follow this guide but do so at your own risk, i take no responsibility :D
    I think we should start leaving bad reviews on the play store for apps that go to extreme lengths to detect root/custom recovery, especially in the case of apps that treat you like a criminal just for having a custom recovery, when you aren't even rooted.
    If an app still detects that you've been "jailbroken" (eugh) when you've tried everything possible to hide it, then whatever it's doing in your file system is extremely intrusive, and that's a good enough reason to try and knock a star off their review score if you ask me.
    Apologies if this is off topic, but it's really pissing me off that so many app developers treat people like criminals just for wanting to have full control of our own devices, or to get a bit more life out of phones that would otherwise succumb to planned obsolescence when the official firmware updates dry up. Screw these guys.
    This app (Santander UK) is using Isolated Process and a scan of your installed apps to detect root.

Just use latest Magisk Canary + Repack of Manager + Riru Core v. 23.9 + Unshare Module (to enable Magisk Hide for Isolated Process) and this app will work perfectly with root. I tested on my device. (Mi 9T Pro + MIUI 12.5 - A11)

Riru Core v. 23.9 can be downloaded from Magisk Repo.

Download Riru Unshare Module from the link below:

Enable Magisk Hide for the app and its processes (uk.co.santander.santanderUK and uk.co.santander.santanderUK : oa.UB)

If the app FC right after starting you need to search for a possible installed app triggering the detection or simple revoke the permission "Get info about installed apps" at app settings (this can differ from device to device)

After every update of the app the Isolated Process name can be different so just re-add it to Magisk Hide again and everything should be fine.

More info about the exploit (Isolated Process) used by a large numbers of banks to detect Magisk:

Storage Isolation (storage redirect) app from playstore also works for Santander (maybe others too?) without using island app.
    Trial version (redirect for up to 3 apps) in basic mode enabled for Santander app (plus magisk hide) worked for me.
    I have had success accessing Santander UK on a OnePlus 8 Pro rooted with Magisk. I've uploaded a video to show my settings and Magisk modules and although there are more modules installed now, I had success with just Riru and Riru-MomoHider installed. I'll include the steps I went through underneath as well, I don't know if only some of the steps are neccessary but this the combination of things that seemed to work for me. Hopefully, this helps some of you get Santander working!

1. Install latest (23.0) stable build of Magisk
    2. Enable Magisk Hide and add the Santander app to the list
    3. Hide the Magisk app
    4. Install Riru module
    5. Install Riru-MomoHider module (https://github.com/canyie/Riru-MomoHider ) - put zip file on phone and install module locally in Magisk)
    6. Using a file explorer with root access go to \data\adb\modules\riru_momohider\config - create 4 files with the following names:
    initrc
    isolated
    app_zygote_magic
    setns
    7. Install Airfrozen from Google Play Store
    8. Add renamed Magisk in Airfrozen. Once added, long-press the icon and freeze app.
    9. You should now have access to Santander app (if it does not work long-press, go to App Info and delete cache and data.
    -Optional-
    10. Once finished, add Santander app to list in Airfrozen and freeze Santander before thawing Magisk. This stops you needing to delete info and cache and having to login again on the app next time you wish to use. When you want to use Santander, freeze Magisk first and then thaw Santander.