[HOW TO] Carrier Switch Galaxy S8/S8+ **SNAPDRAGON**

Search This thread

HighOnLinux

Oct 24, 2015
Google Pixel 8 Pro
So...in my trip to USA I bought an unlocked Verizon S8 from Best buy. I use this phone in Romania and everything works except Volte and VoWifi.

What do I have to do to enable this functions on my carrier network?

Thank you.
Well since Verizon supports VoLTE and Wi-fi calling on their phones and network, it varies by the carrier. Maybe your carrier doesn't support such a thing. But if the carrier does, for wifi calling, all you need to do if fill out a small form onto your E-address, which is basically your house address, but kept on your carrier's account. But VoLTE in the other hand, it must be supported by the network. If it doesn't and you're stuck on stock, then you'll have to wait.

infrasonic13

Nov 5, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I successfully switched from 955U (Verizon) to 955U1 (unknown).
My only concern is the updates, even now the U1s latest firmware is from August with security patch August. Can someone who used the Verizon, at&t or T-Mobile's bloatware firmware to share his opinion.
Is it better with bloatware but regular updates or with the U1 firmware which will receive updates maybe 2-3 months later?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Sergey_007

Nov 14, 2017
Hello! Sorry that I'm writing here, but I've had trouble! I bought a phone samsung S8 G950U in the operator T-mobile in America and the phone worked like with different SIM cards, I would say it was unlocked, but when I came to Ukraine and inserted a local SIM card, I can not use it! Writes network locked Sim card inserted! I have already read many forums, but have not found a solution to my problem! Is it possible to install European or Ukrainian firmware on this phone? Or how can I make him work in the Ukrainian network? The firmware costs G950USQU1AQJ8! Please tell me what and how to do? I will not stay in debt and I will thank you in every way!

infrasonic13

Nov 5, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I've decided to go back to VERIZON for faster updates but here's what happened:
from stock Verizon U955U I flashed 955U1. Then I wanted to get back to Verizon but with no success in both odins with both HOME CSC and CSC only.
After flashing Verizon's firmware I get XAA/XAA/VZW and no updates are available also no Verizon boot screen or software.
Can I solve this or I am stuck on the U1? Thanks.

vMAC

Oct 21, 2007
Is there another link to this firmware anywhere? I am getting speeds sub 100 kb/s and it keeps failing. I'm on a very fast connection this file shouldn't take longer than 15 mins.

billa

Mar 30, 2006
I've decided to go back to VERIZON for faster updates but here's what happened:
from stock Verizon U955U I flashed 955U1. Then I wanted to get back to Verizon but with no success in both odins with both HOME CSC and CSC only.
After flashing Verizon's firmware I get XAA/XAA/VZW and no updates are available also no Verizon boot screen or software.
Can I solve this or I am stuck on the U1? Thanks.

You must be on VZW/VZW/VZW in order to receive regular VZW updates.
There are various ways to access the "preconfig" menu where you can select from a menu and revert back to VZW/VZW/VZW CSC.
Hint: root, or combination files (then menu *#243203855#), or flash the CSC manually.
By the way, in my opinion it's best to stay on the unbranded XAA/XAA/XAA, since there's no bloatware crap, and it always catches up with the VZW firmware version within a month or so. Course, it's your choice.

Last edited:

waleed794

Jul 12, 2012
Abbottabad
I have an unlocked G955u but I'm currently on CRB9 (sprint). Originally the carrier was Xfinity mobile. So can I use this guide to change my carrier to none and get rid of the bloat or its only for nougat?

august_

Nov 13, 2013
You must be on VZW/VZW/VZW in order to receive regular VZW updates.
There are various ways to access the "preconfig" menu where you can select from a menu and revert back to VZW/VZW/VZW CSC.
Hint: root, or combination files (then menu *#243203855#), or flash the CSC manually.
By the way, in my opinion it's best to stay on the unbranded XAA/XAA/XAA, since there's no bloatware crap, and it always catches up with the VZW firmware version within a month or so. Course, it's your choice.

Hi, I have the unlocked us version U1, which I bought while living over there and then moved to the UK, and after updating to Oreo my phone is on GCF instead of XAA, which is the one I had befor. I tried flashing the firmware with odin, but it always sets to GCF again. What is this other method you talk about? Cheers

Mick.B

Nov 6, 2013
Hi,

I have a S8 Plus G995U, Sim unlocked from AT&T. I am no longer in the US thus I cannot receive OTA udates.

I am still on build number: G995USQU1AQD9. Is it possible for me to flash unlocked firmware? So I can start getting OTA updates internationally and to get rid of AT&T Bloatware?

rafaelox24

Jan 17, 2017
how i can go back to stock tmo? (G955U) I tried reflashig stock TMO, but now i have a fusion of both Firnwares or something like that and i can't install oreo. PD: I don;t know if is a software problem but whit some note mi loud speaker sounds crackling.... any one has this issue too? help me please!

HighOnLinux

Oct 24, 2015
Google Pixel 8 Pro
how i can go back to stock tmo? (G955U) I tried reflashig stock TMO, but now i have a fusion of both Firnwares or something like that and i can't install oreo. PD: I don;t know if is a software problem but whit some note mi loud speaker sounds crackling.... any one has this issue too? help me please!
Well, could you provide more info. Are you coming from unlocked firmware moving back to carrier firmware? Or is it from another carrier's fw to t-mobile's fw?

rafaelox24

Jan 17, 2017
Well, could you provide more info. Are you coming from unlocked firmware moving back to carrier firmware? Or is it from another carrier's fw to t-mobile's fw?
ok, let me explain you, my phone came from tmo and i hear that we can eliminate all tmo bloadware just flashing Unlocked firnware (G955U1) so i try it and it works... but i notice that my battery life became worst and i experiment some bugs, for example mi LoudSpeaker Sounds Crackling. After that i try to reflash stock tmo software but when i finish the procces i notice that the software looks the same, the only diference its that it says G955U and XAA/XAA/TMB but nothing else in fact i stil have the Data on/off widget like the unlocked firnware... i try to reflash G955U again with non-home csc(yes, i forget to mention that, i flash with home csc) but odin says model dismatch so i try thesame with G955U1 and have the same result... PD: Whe i click software updates it says that i'm in the last firnware and that isn't true because i'm in 7.0 In any case thanks for your response, if you want more info just tell me.

HighOnLinux

Oct 24, 2015
Google Pixel 8 Pro
ok, let me explain you, my phone came from tmo and i hear that we can eliminate all tmo bloadware just flashing Unlocked firnware (G955U1) so i try it and it works... but i notice that my battery life became worst and i experiment some bugs, for example mi LoudSpeaker Sounds Crackling. After that i try to reflash stock tmo software but when i finish the procces i notice that the software looks the same, the only diference its that it says G955U and XAA/XAA/TMB but nothing else in fact i stil have the Data on/off widget like the unlocked firnware... i try to reflash G955U again with non-home csc(yes, i forget to mention that, i flash with home csc) but odin says model dismatch so i try thesame with G955U1 and have the same result... PD: Whe i click software updates it says that i'm in the last firnware and that isn't true because i'm in 7.0 In any case thanks for your response, if you want more info just tell me.
I would say try princecomsy's modified odin for anything. If it's on the non-modded odin, then it'll throw you that error, learned it the hard way since i wiped my /system partition with nand erase all and it said model mismatch etc etc etc. But yeah try flashing the FW with princecomsy's odin and you should be good to go. Report back for any other issues occurring.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *READ FIRST*
    This thread is now completely dedicated to the aspect of Carrier Switching on the Snapdragon model of the Galaxy S8/S8+, the current root progress can be seen here:
    Current ROOT Progress for G950U/G955U Snapdragon

Please Note that if your device is network locked this WILL NOT unlock it for use on other carriers, however it will allow the switching of carriers and carrier specific features on network unlocked devices just by changing sim cards, the device will reboot and your done. As for those with a network locked device this thread still applies to you, if you are interested in a bloat free experience(that is faster and smoother than stock touchwiz), on your Galaxy S8/S8+

Let's Begin!
    1. Download the firmware for the unlocked S8/S8+ here:
      G950U1UE1AQDC_XAA
    2. Download the Prince Cosmy version of Odin here:
      Odin_3.12.3_Modified
    3. Enable developer options on your device:
      Settings----->About Phone----->Click Build Number 7 times
    4. Enable USB Debugging:
      Settings----->Developer Options-----USB Debugging
    5. Put your device into download mode: Volume Down + Bixby + Power
      (accept the warning and connect your device to your computer)
    6. Take the G950U1.zip you downloaded in step 1 and extract it, then place the BL,AP,CP,and CSC files into their corresponding places within Odin and press start
    7. Once finished the device will boot back up and you will be free to disconnect it from your computer
    8. You now have the unlocked, bloat free, firmware on your S8/S8+

CONTRIBUTORS
    @Maltego for hosting files
    @mweinbach for originally getting the unlocked firmware and for posting a tutorial on flashing it
    @Acoustichayes for creating a dedicated root thread​
    Just to chime in before people start heading down the wrong path and getting too excited.
    Fastboot doesn't work on Samsung devices.
    OEM unlock is merely to disable Google's FRP Lock and has nothing to do with the manufacturers bootloader lock.
    All Qualcomm S8's will have a locked bootloader as confirmed by Samsung.
    Nothing custom including TWRP can be flashed to this device except the possibility of a custom rom.

The factory binary (combination firmware) is not the full Engineering binary.
    The S7 had the full Engineering binary, so the exploit used on that won't work on the S8.

Only the boot.img from the factory software needs to be flashed.
    This allows the device to boot in permissive mode, dmverity disabled, kernel rooting restrictions disabled and adb enabled by default.

Having dealt with these binaries to gain root on other bootloader locked devices.
    Adb method won't work because a full root shell with write access isn't possible.

The method that has worked for Marshmallow is to use King root to gain root then SuperSUME to convert.

OEM unlock must still be enabled and the factory binary must remain or the device will soft brick.
    Factory Binary Firmware for G955U
    MD5: e5ec00ac34efa8f42b81af3f8478d71c
    This thread was initially started as a root/carrier switching research and development thread, it has veered more towards the aspect of carrier switching but there still is a hangouts group of a few devs working on root, including some from the dirty santa exploit on the v20. Any devs interested in joining PM me or elliwigy. As for the comments please refrain from putting others down, being negative/disrespectful, and if these comments persist to all others please ignore them! Thank you all for the effort put into this thread hopefully we will be able to achieve root (without an eng kernel lol) and full carrier switch!

Thank You,
    TimelessGoD
    Good call going exynos. Be careful these snapdragon owners are very fussy they can't get anything working after 900+ posts

be careful of these exynos users clogging up a snapdragon thread with negativity as they dont seem know what theyre doing or how to contribute either