How to change the screen resolution to 720p for more performance in games and apps.

Search This thread

Joel Oliveira

Nov 18, 2015
Firstly we have to change the DPI of the screen. To do this go to the build.prop in /system and edit the line: ro.sf.lcd_density=480 to 320. (I like to use 315dpi).
Save the edited build.prop.
Now with APP ScreenSettings let's change the resolution to 720p.
Link to download APP: ScreenSettings

When opening the app, allow ROOT access and select "use a custom screen size" and type "4.5" OK.
Now under "Aspect Ratio" select 16: 9, and drag the resolution selection bar to 1280x720. Make sure that "Auto DPI selection" is selected. And press APPLY.
The system will do a quick reboot, and will start with large letters and objects. Then restart again, but a full reboot now, so that the build.prop DPI will take effect. :good:

Last edited:

SoNic67

Apr 10, 2011
The G4 Plus screen is not 4.5", the method in the first post is for a G4.
G4 Plus screen is 5.5" diagonal, 1920x1080, 401 ppi. So the ppi for 720 should be something like 267...

Last edited:

Joel Oliveira

Nov 18, 2015
The G4 Plus screen is not 4.5", the method in the first post is for a G4.
G4 Plus screen is 5.5" diagonal, 1920x1080, 401 ppi. So the ppi for 720 should be something like 267...
yes, I know it's 5.5, but I put 4.5 only to show the 720p resolution with the dpi326. But I believe it works when you type 5.5 too. I have a Moto G4 XT1625 (5.5 1080p).

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

LinuxPusher

Jan 19, 2018
Link redirects

Firstly we have to change the DPI of the screen. To do this go to the build.prop in /system and edit the line: ro.sf.lcd_density=480 to 320. (I like to use 315dpi).

When opening the app, allow ROOT access and select "use a custom screen size" and type "4.5" OK.
Now under "Aspect Ratio" select 16: 9, and drag the resolution selection bar to 1280x720. Make sure that "Auto DPI selection" is selected. And press APPLY.
The system will do a quick reboot, and will start with large letters and objects. Then restart again, but a full reboot now, so that the build.prop DPI will take effect. :good:

When I click download.......
The Link you provided takes me to a cloud page where it tells me my ip is over my limit.
I have never been to that page before.
It wants me to purchase a cloud page.
Am I missing something ?

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Actually it could be still much more simple.

Download any terminal emulator apk, i use "Material Terminal" (you'll need root permissions).

- Type the following commands:

# su
# wm density 320
# wm size 720x1280

That's all.
Thank You This works for me. :good:
Question: Boot Animation is now off screen is there a way to fix this or do I need a different Boot Animation ?
Thank you

Last edited:

cyrill2211

May 15, 2015

Download any terminal emulator apk, i use "Material Terminal" (you'll need root permissions).

# su
# wm density 320
# wm size 720x1280

That's all.

What are the commands for us to revert back to the original? Is it 480 and 1080x1920??

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

# su
    # wm density 320
    # wm size 720x1280

That's all.

This will improve performance of device? Can you explain how?

Probably because a lower resolution will result in more frames per second.
    I'll suggest you to get 144Hz Screen to see those extra frames
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone