How to change your battery capacity

Search This thread

Yamaha169

Mar 6, 2016
(Must be rooted)
Use Root Explorer or Equivalent.
(Can adb or command pull/ push with line if your know how inside twrp or on pc)

DIRECTORY: /etc/floating_feature.xml

Open it and Scroll or search until you see the capacity String value ...
Change it to the MAH of your desired battery.

Disclaimer: Any edits being made to batteries, charge speeds, % values, etc , can cause fires,

Do these at your own risk.

Attachments

• 20161130_224613.jpg
    20161130_224613.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 15,063
  • 20161130_224509.jpg
    20161130_224509.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 15,067
  • 20161130_225812.jpg
    20161130_225812.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 14,866
Last edited:

Rapier

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Theoretically, to make use of a larger capacity battery or else it'll show the same stock capacity regardless of it's real capacity.
Now I don't know how it is For S7/Edge or Samsung devices but I previously owned several HTC devices. The last I had was One S and it could accomodate the battery from One XL (same size but bigger capacity). Many have tried and replaced it but even the new capacity was shown correctly, phone wasn't using it at full. After researches it came out that, for effectively using a bigger capacity battery it was needed a new kernel compiled to make use of the new battery capacity.

My point is that, you might need that as well here and I really doubt that anyone can compile from source a kernel for Exynos that can contain such changes as I know that sources are proprietary not open. You might fit a bigger capacity battery but it could be that you won't benefit from it's increased size

Sent from nowhere over the air...

Reactions: kuppenhorst

Yamaha169

Mar 6, 2016
I agree

Theoretically, to make use of a larger capacity battery or else it'll show the same stock capacity regardless of it's real capacity.
Now I don't know how it is For S7/Edge or Samsung devices but I previously owned several HTC devices. The last I had was One S and it could accomodate the battery from One XL (same size but bigger capacity). Many have tried and replaced it but even the new capacity was shown correctly, phone wasn't using it at full. After researches it came out that, for effectively using a bigger capacity battery it was needed a new kernel compiled to make use of the new battery capacity.

My point is that, you might need that as well here and I really doubt that anyone can compile from source a kernel for Exynos that can contain such changes as I know that sources are proprietary not open. You might fit a bigger capacity battery but it could be that you won't benefit from it's increased size

There are reference files in the kernel ...
They reference battery capacity...
They are based off of a capacity % value
Basically an of/if command ... so in theory...

(Update: the theory was correct)

And a framework.res edit did suffice.

The file inside of framework-res res/xml/power_profile.xml
referenced a 3600mah battery ...

And the purpose of this is of course...
an aftermarket , fully synced , and properly programmed battery @ larger capacity 4200mah ;)

To track all stats natively in any android rom

Last edited:

Yamaha169

Mar 6, 2016
I use my device pretty heavy with it....

Background youtube, pandora, games, etc...
Stock S7 edge kernel/boot.img , modified build.prop (TeKHd Rom)
Also calibrated battery after changing the capacity values

battery life report...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170112-121429.jpg
    Screenshot_20170112-121429.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 5,764
Last edited:
Reactions: krockky

Vivacity

Feb 7, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21
I use my device pretty heavy with this 4200 mah...
Background youtube, pandora, games, etc...
Stock S7 edge kernel/boot.img , modified build.prop (TeKHd Rom)
Also calibrated battery after changing the capacity values

But heres a battery life report...

omg how the hell did you manage to change for a bigger battery? can you explain? how and which one you bought? any links? :D

anaya1213

Nov 20, 2010
Ft Myers Beach
The guide to do so is explain in the images/ guide earlier in these pages...
The link to buy a battery like mine is

http://m.ebay.com/itm/4200mAh-High-...470195?hash=item4b05e571f3:g:jxsAAOSw9NdXqR3o

You will also need tools to do so... (watch youtube for a guide on the hardware change)

Once you have your battery installed... you need to be rooted to make the edits... there are two references you need to change (in images i posted)

After the edits... run your battery 99% dead... do a calibration (apk on app store can do this)

Then let it die.. charge it to 100% while the device is off

But can you really trust a 4200mah for 15 dollars?

Yamaha169

Mar 6, 2016
Trust

But can you really trust a 4200mah for 15 dollars?

This is my second time purchasing the same aftermarket battery... first time I installed it into a G928A (s6 edge plus)

Now ive installed it in this device... ive gone several months without seeing charge/discharge loss...

But heres the next question... say... you go through 2 batteries a year... 15$ each....

Would that not be worth the extra phone on time anyways? :)

Reactions: anaya1213

anaya1213

Nov 20, 2010
Ft Myers Beach
This is my second time purchasing the same aftermarket battery... first time I installed it into a G928A (s6 edge plus)

Now ive installed it in this device... ive gone several months without seeing charge/discharge loss...

But heres the next question... say... you go through 2 batteries a year... 15$ each....

Would that not be worth the extra phone on time anyways? :)

Fair enough, but how do you really know it's 4200mah instead of the regular 3600mah?

Eezay

Sep 6, 2008
Stuttgart
After the Note 7 fiasco, people tend to be more careful about aftermarket batteries.

My question regarding this modification ist: Is the phone still waterproof after opening the case?
i guess no...

Yamaha169

Mar 6, 2016
After the Note 7 fiasco, people tend to be more careful about aftermarket batteries.

My question regarding this modification ist: Is the phone still waterproof after opening the case?
i guess no...

Any battery lithium... copper core... can overheat and cause what happened to the 7 line...

And this device claims to be water "resistant" ... but people were testing new units and ruining cameras... so...

I went with a ghostek atomic 2.0 case ... ;)

Yamaha169

Mar 6, 2016
Agreed... no matter how good you cut the adhesive

I would guess no also, as the glue sealing everything together is disturbed

They do make the adheasive with backglass replacement... but im content with my device ...

Longer batter... no overheating issues (2nd phone using them)
After doing the edits and the battery swap with the battery sync... big gains..

I Would Do this Experiment Again 😃

Last edited:
Reactions: krockky

Yamaha169

Mar 6, 2016
Update...

Batterylife update...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170226-130531.jpg
    Screenshot_20170226-130531.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,358
Last edited:

twinko

The guide to do so is explain in the images/ guide earlier in these pages...
The link to buy a battery like mine is

http://m.ebay.com/itm/4200mAh-High-...470195?hash=item4b05e571f3:g:jxsAAOSw9NdXqR3o

You will also need tools to do so... (watch youtube for a guide on the hardware change)

Once you have your battery installed... you need to be rooted to make the edits... there are two references you need to change (in images i posted)

After the edits... run your battery 99% dead... do a calibration (apk on app store can do this)

Then let it die.. charge it to 100% while the device is off

Did you even found bigger aftermarket batteries? And did you ever tried to test the battery and his capacity before implementing them? I often have the feeling they are faking the written numbers on it

Yamaha169

Mar 6, 2016
Did you even found bigger aftermarket batteries? And did you ever tried to test the battery and his capacity before implementing them? I often have the feeling they are faking their values.
you can break out ohms law and calculate power

( find something that runs off the same voltage , and run the tests yourself for discharge rate @ hours ) 👍😁

Last edited:

twinko

Well, to me... thats arguing a moot point...
Thats like asking me how i know im getting a gallon of gas at the pump.
But... the evidence is in the calculation of the user ... because there are FAR too many variables ...

There are applications that track power loss by MAH (mili-amp hour) if you use over the stock MAH rating... it would have a larger storage capacity.

Or you can break out ohms law and calculate power , disect this battery and beat your head against a post .. :)

im sorry my english isn't that good but i think the capacity of this battery is not related to the user nor there are many variables.
Probably i didnt used the right words but what i was asking for is for example:
Connect the battery to a constant current load and measure the time it takes to discharge the battery to a certain voltage.
Capacity in Ah = Current in Amperes * Time in hours​

that would give a good overview of the real capacity without using a fishy app or harassing a post ;)

Reactions: Yamaha169

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (Must be rooted)
    Use Root Explorer or Equivalent.
    (Can adb or command pull/ push with line if your know how inside twrp or on pc)

DIRECTORY: /etc/floating_feature.xml

Open it and Scroll or search until you see the capacity String value ...
    Change it to the MAH of your desired battery.

Disclaimer: Any edits being made to batteries, charge speeds, % values, etc , can cause fires,

Do these at your own risk.
    I agree

There are reference files in the kernel ...
    They reference battery capacity...
    They are based off of a capacity % value
    Basically an of/if command ... so in theory...

(Update: the theory was correct)

And a framework.res edit did suffice.

The file inside of framework-res res/xml/power_profile.xml
    referenced a 3600mah battery ...

And the purpose of this is of course...
    an aftermarket , fully synced , and properly programmed battery @ larger capacity 4200mah ;)

To track all stats natively in any android rom
    What is the purpose of this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk