[how to] change your MID without an eng bootloader

Search This thread

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
My device is bricked after root and stuck on HTC One logo.
I tried to put your commands to change MID. I enterd "adb shell", my cmd says "Error: device not found". Any solution?

You installed the old version SuperSu zip I believe. Use the latest version SuperSU 2.79

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/supersu/download/zip/SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip

You don't need to change MID or anything ... just get back to recovery and install correct SuperSU zip.

If it doesn't work .. restore your ROM backup.

nawazdj

Nov 26, 2014
Pabna
You don't need to change MID or anything ... just get back to recovery and install correct SuperSU zip.

If it doesn't work .. restore your ROM backup.

I want to change MID to install European ruu to t-mobile phone. that's why it needed root. After installing SuperSu via twrp it installed successfully the phone booted. I opened SuperSU, tapped on twrp method and something downloaded and the device restarted. From then it stuck on boot logo. Though I can enter Fastboot. Now you tell me what to do.

Einwod

Mar 1, 2011
Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
I want to change MID to install European ruu to t-mobile phone. that's why it needed root. After installing SuperSu via twrp it installed successfully the phone booted. I opened SuperSU, tapped on twrp method and something downloaded and the device restarted. From then it stuck on boot logo. Though I can enter Fastboot. Now you tell me what to do.
Never take root from twrp. Now, download the latest version of TWRP and flash it. Flash supersu.zip again and DO NOT TAKE THE ROOT OFFERED BY TWRP. Restart your device.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

Reactions: nawazdj

nawazdj

Nov 26, 2014
Pabna
Never take root from twrp. Now, download the latest version of TWRP and flash it. Flash supersu.zip again and DO NOT TAKE THE ROOT OFFERED BY TWRP. Restart your device.

Thanks man. I didn't know that info.
Btw, I've solved the problem. My bootloader was messed up. I flashed it with stock firmware found in @ckpv5's profile. Then I used HTC's official rom installer and the devices is running fine now. Though I intended to install European rom but it's ok since I got 6.0. Thanks @ckpv5, you're life saver.

Reactions: Einwod

Korshun

Oct 29, 2010
Hello! My phone is Sprint m8 but I notice some weird problem. Why my mid is 11 symbols lenght?
mymid.png

Azhar261

Mar 29, 2017
which RUU can instal pleas help me

version: 0.5 version-bootloader: 3.19.0.00version-baseband: 1.09.20.020version-cpld: None version-microp: None version-main: 4.25.651.14 version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF serialno: HT44WSF03325 imei: 990004995842964 imei2: Not Support meid: 99000499584296 product: m8_whl platform: hTCBmsm8974 modelid: 0P6B7**** cidnum: BS_US001 battery-status: good battery-voltage: 0mV partition-layout: Generic security: off build-mode: SHIP boot-mode: FASTBOOT commitno-bootloader: 26d3ff23hbootpreupdate: 11 gencheckpt: 0

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
version: 0.5 version-bootloader: 3.19.0.00version-baseband: 1.09.20.020version-cpld: None version-microp: None version-main: 4.25.651.14 version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF serialno: HT44WSF03325 imei: 990004995842964 imei2: Not Support meid: 99000499584296 product: m8_whl platform: hTCBmsm8974 modelid: 0P6B7**** cidnum: BS_US001 battery-status: good battery-voltage: 0mV partition-layout: Generic security: off build-mode: SHIP boot-mode: FASTBOOT commitno-bootloader: 26d3ff23hbootpreupdate: 11 gencheckpt: 0

I see you are new to the forum. This really isn't directly relevant to this thread, and doesn't really belong here. Posts here should relate directly to the process of how to change MID, etc.

But to address your question: you have the Sprint version M8. This version is fairly unique (along with Verizon version) in that it also contains CDMA network support (along with GSM, LTE) for use on the US Sprint network. Due to hardware, partition, and other differences in the Sprint version, you cannot flash the RUU or firmware form any other M8 version. They are not compatible, will not work, and may lead to permanent damage to the device. Further, it is not recommended to change the CID or MID for this Sprint device. It looks like you tried to change to the US Developer's Version (CID BS_US001).

I recommend you change back to the Sprint CID (or alternately SuperCID) then try a Sprint RUU: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2729173

erlange

Jul 10, 2016
I have a Rogers version and wish to enable LTE on Band 3 and 8, which I believe, cannot be done on my phone due to its read-only LTE NV values. Seems the carrier is locked from the hardware. I'm on s-off and can't seem to change the NV values with QXDM. The values always revert back to the original.

Apart from enabling to get the appropriate OTA, will changing the mid also enable me to write the NV values?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Apart from enabling to get the appropriate OTA, will changing the mid also enable me to write the NV values?

No, it won't.

Changing NV values only works for the M8 CDMA variants Verizon and Sprint (and not even Sprint sometimes).

Since you have s-off, you can try to install a radio baseband/firmware for an M8 version which supports LTE bands 3 and 8 (such as Euro or Asia versions M8). But you may still not get LTE service after that.

Also, be really careful what you flash with s-off. Flashing the wrong radio or firmware can brick the phone. But radio of firmware for any "GSM" M8 (not CDMA, or other variants such as dual SIM, eye, etc.) should be okay.

Reactions: erlange

Behold_this

Jul 15, 2011
Las Vegas
i am already with s-off, i am trying to avoid having to root my mobile and set up my data all over again.
Rooting your phone has piss all to do with your data. If you are already s-off and unlocked, like you claim, then there is no reason you can't perform this. Simply flash the latest Superuser package and proceed. If you don't have a custom recovery, of course, you'll need to flash that first but there's no reason you can't if you are unlocked and s-off. Whatever the case, simply ROOTING your phone will never ever remove your data. The only thing that erases your data is unlocking via the official method on HTC Dev.

morfeas-dsl-

Sep 12, 2005
agrinio
Rooting your phone has piss all to do with your data. If you are already s-off and unlocked, like you claim, then there is no reason you can't perform this. Simply flash the latest Superuser package and proceed. If you don't have a custom recovery, of course, you'll need to flash that first but there's no reason you can't if you are unlocked and s-off. Whatever the case, simply ROOTING your phone will never ever remove your data. The only thing that erases your data is unlocking via the official method on HTC Dev.

If i understood correctly in order to root a HTC m8 i have to unlock my bootloader. If i unlock my bootloader it will erase everything , so that is what i am trying to avoid.
I am just s-off , i havent said anything about unlocked :)

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
If i understood correctly in order to root a HTC m8 i have to unlock my bootloader. If i unlock my bootloader it will erase everything , so that is what i am trying to avoid.
I am just s-off , i havent said anything about unlocked :)

Remember, TWRP offers a root ADB shell and most users can boot it, as opposed to installing it. I haven't tried it myself, but I would imagine that you could boot TWRP from fastboot and alter your MID from there, all without touching any other partition. I'm not sure, but I believe you could even skip the bootloader lock/unlock as well.

morfeas-dsl-

Sep 12, 2005
agrinio
Remember, TWRP offers a root ADB shell and most users can boot it, as opposed to installing it. I haven't tried it myself, but I would imagine that you could boot TWRP from fastboot and alter your MID from there, all without touching any other partition. I'm not sure, but I believe you could even skip the bootloader lock/unlock as well.

dont i have to unlock the bootloader in order to flash the TWRP though?

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
dont i have to unlock the bootloader in order to flash the TWRP though?

You don't understand. I'm saying you can use TWRP's root shell instead of rooting. That is, you want to alter your MID without touching /system or rooting. You aren't flashing anything.

I'm on the developer edition, which behaves differently than the carrier versions, so I can't speak to whether you would need to unlock the bootloader to flash things from TWRP while S-off. However, if you do need to, you should also be able to write to the lock flag from TWRP as well.

morfeas-dsl-

Sep 12, 2005
agrinio
You don't understand. I'm saying you can use TWRP's root shell instead of rooting. That is, you want to alter your MID without touching /system or rooting. You aren't flashing anything.

I'm on the developer edition, which behaves differently than the carrier versions, so I can't speak to whether you would need to unlock the bootloader to flash things from TWRP while S-off. However, if you do need to, you should also be able to write to the lock flag from TWRP as well.

But i am saying to you that i have the original recovery not TWRP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ THIIS!
    *this thread is for m8. it will NOT work on m7,or any older device. please check the general forum for your particular device for a similar thread.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

this thread is for the folks who wish tochage their MID in order to fully convert a device and recieve OTA updates. the method described here is not the only way to skin the cat,but as long as your careful the risk is very minimal, its quick and easy and doesnt require any hboot downgrades,eng hboot install,data loss,or having to run an ruu.

please note that s-off is required!

credits:
    -beaups for schooling me on the echo command protocol
    -kdj67f for dumping partitions from his java card s-offed phone
    -davehasninjas for dumping rumrunner s offed partitions
    -andybones for testing on a vzw device
    *i dont have m8 yet. if you want to test,ill add you to the credits.

standard disclaimer: use this information at your own risk. it has been tested,but copying the command incorrectly could have consequences. if you melt your phone into a smoldering little pile of aluminum goo, its not my fault.

IF you are an advanced user with adb/fastboot set up and some basic knowlede of the cmd window,you can skip to #2
    1)set up adb(windows 7 and older)

-download this file
    -install drivers: if you have htc sync installed,you should allready have drivers. if not,you can install htc sync,or install these modified htc drivers from revolutionary (driver mirror)
    -unzip your miniadb_v1031.zip file. this is native funtionality in windows 7. you otherwise may need a utility such as "7-zip" to extract,or unzip it. place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive on your PC. root means the top level,not inside any folders. so just copy and paste,or drag and drop the folder onto C with everything else that is there. you may want to rename it to "miniadb_m7" since youll be putting some device specific files in here.
    -open a command window. on windows 7,click the start bubble in the lower left and type "command" in the search box. xp i believe is similar or the same. doing this should open a small black command window.
    -change to your miniadb_m7 directory. type the following at the prompt in your cmd window:

cd c:\miniadb_m7

your command promt should change to "c:miniadb_m7>" provided you: 1)unzipped the miniadb_v1031 zip file,and 2)put the folder on your c drive,and 3)entered the name of the folder correctly ("miniadb_m7" in this case)

-now make sure usb debugging is checked in developer options(you will need to turn it on first),and plug your phone into your PC with a usb cable
    -make sure your phone is being recognized- type:

adb devices

if your drivers are installed correctly,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,then enter this command:
    adb reboot bootloader

this should take your phone to the "fastboot" screen,wich is white with colored letters. this is one mode of your bootloaders interactive modes. at the top youll see fastboot devices as confirmation youre in fastboot.

now enter:
    fastboot devices
    again,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,you can enter the following to boot back to the phones OS:
    fastboot reboot

and now,youve installed adb/fastboot and tested youre phones drivers. if at either spot,you have trouble and dont get your serial number back,there is some sort of connection issue. use these steps to troubleshoot:
    troubleshooting connectivity issues:
    -try a reboot of the PC
    -try different usb cables and ports
    -dont use a usb hub
    -dont use usb 3.0
    -make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
    -windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
    -i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
    -put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
    -open device manager on the PC
    -plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
    -update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
    driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
    -open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
    adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot,enter:
    fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

this process,in your cmd window,should look something like this:
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="red"]cd c:\miniadb_m7[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>adb devices
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    FAxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
    FAxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR]
    rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.037s

c:\miniadb_m7>

2)change your MID
    warning: *do not try and type the command. please copy and paste it

-AT&T, unlocked, developer MID:
    enter the following:

adb shell

su (if needed to get a # prompt)

Code:
    [B]echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x32\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384[/B]
    (the above is one big long command. make sure you copy it all,and dont get extra spaces when you paste it.)

exit

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot getvar mid (or getvar all)

verify 0P6B12000 for modelid

fastboot reboot

________________________________________________________________________________________
    -google play MID:
    enter the following:

adb shell

Code:
    [B]echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x37\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384[/B]
    (the above is one big long command. make sure you copy it all,and dont get extra spaces when you paste it.)

exit

adb reboot bootloader

verify 0P6B17000 for modelid

fastboot reboot

________________________________________________________________________________________
    -t mobile MID:
    enter the following:

adb shell

Code:
    [B]echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x33\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384[/B]

exit

adb reboot bootloader

verify 0P6B13000 for modelid

fastboot reboot

-HTC_Europe MID:
    enter the following:

adb shell

Code:
    [B]echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384[/B]

exit

adb reboot bootloader

verify 0P6B10000 for modelid

fastboot reboot

your command window should look like this:
    Code:
    c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
    root@m7:/ # [COLOR="Red"]echo -ne '\x50\x00\x4e\x00\x30\x00\x37\x00\x33\x00\x31\x00\x30\x00\x
    30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=16384[/COLOR]
    00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=16384                          <
    17+0 records in
    17+0 records out
    17 bytes transferred in 0.009 secs (1888 bytes/sec)
    root@m7:/ # [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
    exit

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot getvar all[/COLOR]
    (bootloader) version: 0.5
    (bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
    (bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.17.3250.20
    (bootloader) version-cpld: None
    (bootloader) version-microp: None
    (bootloader) version-main: 1.27.531.8
    (bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
    (bootloader) serialno: HTxxxxxxxxxx
    (bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    (bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
    (bootloader) product: m7_ul
    (bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
    (bootloader) modelid: PN0731000  [COLOR="Blue"]<-looky[/COLOR]
    (bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
    (bootloader) battery-status: good
    (bootloader) battery-voltage: 4175mV
    (bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
    (bootloader) security: off
    (bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
    (bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
    (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-f188f379dbbfee373cd551f7bc62b8435
    getvar:all FAILED (unknown status code)
    finished. total time: 0.092s

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="Red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR]
    rebooting...
    (bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11

finished. total time: 7.288s

some other useful links:
    remove tampered banner: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708565
    change lock status flag(lock/unlock bootloader): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708571
    other MIDs

Rogers MID
    0P6B16000
    Code:
    echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x36\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384
    *thanks @craig0r
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

wind(canada) MID
    0P6B13000
    Code:
    echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x33\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

verizon MID
    0P6B20000
    Code:
    echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x32\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384
    warning! provided only for folks who have changed their mid and realized they shouldnt have,or achieved s off via a java card. DO NOT change a gsm or sprint device to this in attempts to use it on vzw and convert to a vzw device(or vice versa)

sprint MID
    0P6B70000
    Code:
    echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x37\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384
    warning! provided only for folks who have changed their mid and realized they shouldnt have,or achieved s off via a java card. DO NOT change a gsm or vzw device to this in attempts to use it on sprint and convert to a sprint device(or vice versa).

0P6B11000
    Code:
    echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x31\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384

europe m8 dual sim MID
    0P6B64000
    Code:
    echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x36\x00\x34\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384
    *thanks @EddyOS

warning! provided by request. i would strongly advise against attempting to convert single sim m8 to dual sim,or vise versa
    echo command for indian M8 0P6B65000

Code:
    echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x36\x00\x35\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384
    right....[Dehr...I text quicker than I think]

but he's still got fastboot huh?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

it appears so. however,p5 bricks with dna were only recoverable via jtag so i dont have alot of hope. that fact that the phone still responds at all makes it worth exploring. were now discussing it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52595696 in efforts to not stray to far off topic in this thread.

I was wondering how you get the numbers:

Code:
    \x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x32\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30
    ?

Is there a specific way to 'translate' any MID so it can be used with the instructions in the OP? Btw I would like to change back my MID to:

Code:
    0P6B11000

0P6B11000 works out to:
    Code:
    echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x31\x00\x31\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384

theres not any trick to the numbers. 30=0,31=1 and so on. 41=A,42=B and so on. its important to keep the 00s,wich are a . in the hex editor. the mid is kept in the partition in a somewhat stange fasion,and it you cant change the orientation,or the offsets:
    Code:
    00004000  30 00 50 00 36 00 42 00 31 00 32 00 30 00 30 00  0.P.6.B.1.2.0.0.
    00004010  30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  0...............

a word of warning to anyone who wants to translate a different MID,be extremely careful plugging things into the command,as screwing it up can have consequences,as show very clearly a few posts up.

what variant does your mid fit? ill add it to the 2nd post.