• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HOW-TO: Change your wireless routers channel to work better with the HP Touchpad

Search This thread

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
As we all know, some people are having issues with wi-fi being unpredictable and buggy on the TP. One method that seems to work more often than not is changing the wireless channel on your router. This is not a hard thing to do, but some people are having issue with accessing their routers.

This guide is for those of you on a Windows machine. Mac users, I have no idea what to tell you.

To start, we need to figure out what your IP address is. The quickest way to do this is to press Windows Key + R (Windows Key is beside left-alt). In the run box, type cmd and press enter. You should see a black box now with a blinking cursor. In this box, type ipconfig /all and press enter. Look for "Default Gateway" note this address down. Mine is 192.168.2.1 so we'll use this as the example.

Open up a new browser window or tab, and type in that IP address exactly as you noted it. You'll get a login notice, and this will differ depending on what router you have. Go to this website to get your default username and password: http://www.routerpasswords.com/.

Once you have access to your router, again, all of this will differ depending on the make and model of your router, but you need to look for a wireless tab. Once there, you need to look for something that says "Channel" or sometimes "SSID and Channel" (SSID is the name of your wireless)

After you have found the channel tab, use it to select a new channel. I've read that anything betwixt 1 through 4 works the best.

This is a vague walk-through, so please ask questions and I'll be sure to help.

:EDIT: Here's a good reference site for routers - http://www.portforward.com/

Last edited:

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
Thank you sah.

I will continue to add to it. I'm trying to find a site I came across years ago, that actually had screenshots of all the popular routers GUI's...but not finding it.

theinmoe

Jul 25, 2011
WEP works best with both CM7 and CM9 for me, no drop off wifi. Set up a virtual access point in ddwrt
just for TP with WEP . Tried WAP and TP dropping connection frequently.

Izeltokatl

Feb 16, 2010
So Cal
I don't have a touchpad yet, but the best channel would be the one hard coded on the device. As a general rule you should always set the channel of all your devices the same. I wouldn't know how to find the default channel though on this device.

Sent from my rezound.

Izeltokatl

Feb 16, 2010
So Cal
Actually now that im thinking about it.here is a fast way to figure out the default channel on the HP. Download wifi analyzer on your android device. Then on your tablet turn on wireless tether. On the phone scan for wireless devices and see what channel it reads.

Sent from my rezound.

cipher77

Jun 7, 2011
just as a note...
installed cm9 0.5.
gapps 20111230.
cwm, moboot 035.

no problems with wifi.
at all.
have restarted several times...have gone back and forth from webos, as well.

i wonder what the incidence of wifi issues is with a 5.0ghz vs a 2.4ghz signal?
not sure that it matters...but, it seems everything affects everything else.
so, worth a look?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As we all know, some people are having issues with wi-fi being unpredictable and buggy on the TP. One method that seems to work more often than not is changing the wireless channel on your router. This is not a hard thing to do, but some people are having issue with accessing their routers.

This guide is for those of you on a Windows machine. Mac users, I have no idea what to tell you.

To start, we need to figure out what your IP address is. The quickest way to do this is to press Windows Key + R (Windows Key is beside left-alt). In the run box, type cmd and press enter. You should see a black box now with a blinking cursor. In this box, type ipconfig /all and press enter. Look for "Default Gateway" note this address down. Mine is 192.168.2.1 so we'll use this as the example.

Open up a new browser window or tab, and type in that IP address exactly as you noted it. You'll get a login notice, and this will differ depending on what router you have. Go to this website to get your default username and password: http://www.routerpasswords.com/.

Once you have access to your router, again, all of this will differ depending on the make and model of your router, but you need to look for a wireless tab. Once there, you need to look for something that says "Channel" or sometimes "SSID and Channel" (SSID is the name of your wireless)

After you have found the channel tab, use it to select a new channel. I've read that anything betwixt 1 through 4 works the best.

This is a vague walk-through, so please ask questions and I'll be sure to help.

:EDIT: Here's a good reference site for routers - http://www.portforward.com/
    http://www.portforward.com has got load of info on routers including screenshots. It's a bit OTT for the enquiries here, but will have some useful info on how to get into a router setup.