How to charge battery in recovery mode?

Search This thread

docmattman

Feb 27, 2011
I have rooted and unlocked the bootloader on my Atrix 4g. I have the CWM installed. I formatted everything in preparation for installing a custom rom. However, my battery died before I could install the new rom. No problems yet, as I can plug the charger in and get into bootloader. However, the battery doesn't seem to be charging. I left it plugged in for hours and when I try to boot into fastboot it give me a message saying:

"Battery is too low to flash"

So I am unable to do anything through fastboot. How can I get my battery charged enough to work with fastboot? As I said, I've plugged it into the charger for several hours and it just sat there in the bootloader with the "Unlocked" message. Apparently it powers on, but won't charge the battery here.

Any thoughts on how to the get battery charged enough to use fastboot?

Reactions: Satyam_999

Sonicmax2k2

Apr 22, 2011
You can't charge the battery from fastboot mode unless you have one of the factory cables like the ones that Team Black Hat sells (here's a video about it)

Edit: It doesn't actually charge the battery, just allows it to get enough power to run as if it was plugged into the wall.

Here's the thing, with fastboot, it'll stop allowing it to activate even before the battery is totally dead. I made a similar mistake to the one you made, but I was about to bypass the low battery warning by starting my phone while it was plugged into the wall charger, entering fastboot, then removing the charger and plugging it into my computer. This is obviously risky if your battery dies while you're in the middle of something, but I've had it work before, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:

docmattman

Feb 27, 2011
Is there anyway to charge the battery without having the special adapter if I don't have a rom installed?

I had it plugged into the wall charger for hours just sitting at the bootloader screen (not fastboot). It just says "Unlocked" with the Motorola logo. I don't need to run the fastboot right away, I can wait until the battery charges, but it never does. My bootloader has a few options:

Fastboot
NvFlash
BP HW Bypass RSD
BP HW Bypass QC DLOAD
BP HW Diag & Boot AP
BP HW Bypass BP Only
BP SW Bypass RSD
Android Recovery
Boot Android (No BP)
Device UID
console=tty50,115200n8
Early USB Enumeration
BP Tools
RSD

1. I've tried selecting nothing with the wall charger plugged in for hours and still get the battery warning when trying to use Fastboot.
2. I've tried selecting Fastboot with the wall charger plugged in for hours, same message
3. I've tried selecting "Android Recorvery" with the wall charger for hours, same message

Is there anything I can select above that will allow my battery to charge when plugged into the wall? If I can get it charged, then I can use Fastboot no problem.

Any suggestions?

Bert.C

Aug 21, 2010
How about if you dont turn the phone on?

As in.. pull the battery, then reinsert and then just plug into wall charger. Do you get the battery charging animation?

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

docmattman

Feb 27, 2011
I thought of this and tried it first, but as soon as I plug in the wall charger, I see the green LED come on, then I see the bootloader screen. I can't seem to have it plugged in without it turning itself on.

Sonicmax2k2

Apr 22, 2011
If you don't have a booting ROM, you're SOL, just like I said. Your only option is to find another way to charge the battery (like a charging dock just for the battery), use a factory cable, or trick fastboot like I outlined in my previous post.

docmattman

Feb 27, 2011
I made a similar mistake to the one you made, but I was about to bypass the low battery warning by starting my phone while it was plugged into the wall charger, entering fastboot, then removing the charger and plugging it into my computer. This is obviously risky if your battery dies while you're in the middle of something, but I've had it work before, I just wouldn't recommend it.

I tried this, but when it enters Fastboot with the wall charger, I get the "Battery is too low to flash". So this doesn't really help. Even if I switch it over to the USB, that message is still on the screen.

sathelate

Aug 2, 2009
Saint-Jérôme
sorry if this post is not very revelant for you but, here is the deal

Motorola Atrix got its battery states by a system file called BACCD and/or similar if i remimber it right, to be able to read the information out of the battery, but you need two tings first !

First : A valid BOOT partition : right now your phone will NEVER EVER go past that logo boot screen even after a wole week pluged in .. you will just hurt your lcd as it is always turned on, cause there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO BOOT !!!! Awkward situation ... i know !!!! :S ive been there !

Second : A working ROM that has the permissions fixed and fonctionnal for the kernel to be able to tell inside the boot protocol script that you wont boot up android, you just want to charge it !

Then, you can have a charging state (with that particular system file)

So, unfortunatly, this is a MUST ! you must do everything to save the battery consumation until you have flashed a ROM and fixed permission (dont really need to actually boot it, as long as it has the boot partition and the system files) so that way you wont be running out of battery

So actually, someone vcorrect me if im wrong but you got 3 choices : buy yourself an MB860 Battery Charger Module, A home made factory cable at least, or borrow an BHX9 battery from a frien just for flashing if you are lucky and someone you know close to you that has that kind of battery, cause there is NO knowned ways to charge a bettery within the phone without an operationnal system and Boot protocol installed to the phone ! Sorry

Reactions: eduman

docmattman

Feb 27, 2011
Ok, I solved the problem by "hot wiring" the phone battery. I found this information on another forum and used the technique to trick Fastboot into thinking the battery had full power (when I is really powered from USB):

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO ANY PHONE, BATTERY, ETC. FOLLOW THESE STEPS WITH CAUTION TO AVOID RISK OF DAMAGE.

1. Take your cable and cut off one of the ends, leaving a standard USB plug at the opposite end to plug into your computer.

2. Now you need to strip about and inch of the wire off until you get to the core where you should see 4 colored wires (red, black, white, and green). The colors don't really matter and they may vary, just as long as you can see a red wire and a black wire.

3. Strip off about a quarter inch of the rubber sleeving on the red and black cables, exposing the actual metal wire.

4. Twist the metal strands of each of the wires a couple of times so that all of the wires from the black cable are together and all of the wires from the red cable are together. This is just to make sure that you don't create a short circuit.

5. Here's where it gets a little tricky. You are going to use this cable to make the phone think the battery is fully charged, when in fact you will just be powering the phone using the power from the USB port. Pull out the battery on your phone and find the 4 exposed metal slots (the battery terminals).

6. Each of the far terminals should be labeled with a plus (+) or a minus (-). What you need to do is put exposed leads on the red wire up to the positive terminal and the leads of the black wire up to the negative terminal.

I was just able to do what I needed in Fastboot and now I'm back in business. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: akperiwal

sathelate

Aug 2, 2009
Saint-Jérôme

ouch, better out trying a factory cable and flash in a regular CWM ways, two of my friends actually fried their phone passing Directly to the battery like this .. i mean .. if it works for some, we have now a WHOLE new generation devices that separates our atrix from that phone inside the video lolllll

Did you actually tried it with an atrix yourself ?! :)

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Ok, I solved the problem by "hot wiring" the phone battery. I found this information on another forum and used the technique to trick Fastboot into thinking the battery had full power (when I is really powered from USB):

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO ANY PHONE, BATTERY, ETC. FOLLOW THESE STEPS WITH CAUTION TO AVOID RISK OF DAMAGE.

1. Take your cable and cut off one of the ends, leaving a standard USB plug at the opposite end to plug into your computer.

2. Now you need to strip about and inch of the wire off until you get to the core where you should see 4 colored wires (red, black, white, and green). The colors don't really matter and they may vary, just as long as you can see a red wire and a black wire.

3. Strip off about a quarter inch of the rubber sleeving on the red and black cables, exposing the actual metal wire.

4. Twist the metal strands of each of the wires a couple of times so that all of the wires from the black cable are together and all of the wires from the red cable are together. This is just to make sure that you don't create a short circuit.

5. Here's where it gets a little tricky. You are going to use this cable to make the phone think the battery is fully charged, when in fact you will just be powering the phone using the power from the USB port. Pull out the battery on your phone and find the 4 exposed metal slots (the battery terminals).

6. Each of the far terminals should be labeled with a plus (+) or a minus (-). What you need to do is put exposed leads on the red wire up to the positive terminal and the leads of the black wire up to the negative terminal.

I was just able to do what I needed in Fastboot and now I'm back in business. Thanks for the advice.

Well, an homemade hack/factory cable :p Nice found

But, can i ask you something : you were clean on everything, unlocked and rooted, CWM was installed ... What was THAT important to do in fastboot taking you away from flashing, then let it charge for a while : meaning having less problems ?!

docmattman

Feb 27, 2011
ouch, better out trying a factory cable and flash in a regular CWM ways, two of my friends actually fried their phone passing Directly to the battery like this .. i mean .. if it works for some, we have now a WHOLE new generation devices that separates our atrix from that phone inside the video lolllll

Did you actually tried it with an atrix yourself ?! :)

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Well, an homemade hack/factory cable :p Nice found

But, can i ask you something : you were clean on everything, unlocked and rooted, CWM was installed ... What was THAT important to do in fastboot taking you away from flashing, then let it charge for a while : meaning having less problems ?!

Yup, I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly. It was a little tricky making sure that the red/black wires were secured to the proper battery leads and not touching others. But a little tape held it in place nicely.

I needed to get into Fastboot to install a newer/working version of CWD. For some reason the version I had on there wasn't able to flash a custom rom. It said it flashed it completely, but then I was never able to boot into anything.

After doing the above procedure I was able to get a working version of CWD using Fastboot. Then I was able to install the custom rom. Now I'm up and running perfectly with Jelly Bean!

karthikg89

Aug 3, 2012
another solution

Hello here is a answer.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2032321&highlight=too+low+to+flash

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Select Boot Android (No BP) an then at the '?' screen insert battery.Too bad you had to cut that cable!!
Is there anyway to charge the battery without having the special adapter if I don't have a rom installed?

I had it plugged into the wall charger for hours just sitting at the bootloader screen (not fastboot). It just says "Unlocked" with the Motorola logo. I don't need to run the fastboot right away, I can wait until the battery charges, but it never does. My bootloader has a few options:

Fastboot
NvFlash
BP HW Bypass RSD
BP HW Bypass QC DLOAD
BP HW Diag & Boot AP
BP HW Bypass BP Only
BP SW Bypass RSD
Android Recovery
Boot Android (No BP)
Device UID
console=tty50,115200n8
Early USB Enumeration
BP Tools
RSD

1. I've tried selecting nothing with the wall charger plugged in for hours and still get the battery warning when trying to use Fastboot.
2. I've tried selecting Fastboot with the wall charger plugged in for hours, same message
3. I've tried selecting "Android Recorvery" with the wall charger for hours, same message

Is there anything I can select above that will allow my battery to charge when plugged into the wall? If I can get it charged, then I can use Fastboot no problem.

Any suggestions?

docmattman

Feb 27, 2011
Hello here is a answer.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2032321&highlight=too+low+to+flash

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Select Boot Android (No BP) an then at the '?' screen insert battery.Too bad you had to cut that cable!!

That's good advice for next time I screw my phone up. I'll definitely give that a try.

I used a USB cable from an old Sony Ericsson phone that I haven't used for years. It seems that all USB cables have the same 4 wires in it, so I just cut that one up since I didn't need it anymore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have rooted and unlocked the bootloader on my Atrix 4g. I have the CWM installed. I formatted everything in preparation for installing a custom rom. However, my battery died before I could install the new rom. No problems yet, as I can plug the charger in and get into bootloader. However, the battery doesn't seem to be charging. I left it plugged in for hours and when I try to boot into fastboot it give me a message saying:

"Battery is too low to flash"

So I am unable to do anything through fastboot. How can I get my battery charged enough to work with fastboot? As I said, I've plugged it into the charger for several hours and it just sat there in the bootloader with the "Unlocked" message. Apparently it powers on, but won't charge the battery here.

Any thoughts on how to the get battery charged enough to use fastboot?
    sorry if this post is not very revelant for you but, here is the deal

Motorola Atrix got its battery states by a system file called BACCD and/or similar if i remimber it right, to be able to read the information out of the battery, but you need two tings first !

First : A valid BOOT partition : right now your phone will NEVER EVER go past that logo boot screen even after a wole week pluged in .. you will just hurt your lcd as it is always turned on, cause there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO BOOT !!!! Awkward situation ... i know !!!! :S ive been there !

Second : A working ROM that has the permissions fixed and fonctionnal for the kernel to be able to tell inside the boot protocol script that you wont boot up android, you just want to charge it !

Then, you can have a charging state (with that particular system file)

So, unfortunatly, this is a MUST ! you must do everything to save the battery consumation until you have flashed a ROM and fixed permission (dont really need to actually boot it, as long as it has the boot partition and the system files) so that way you wont be running out of battery

So actually, someone vcorrect me if im wrong but you got 3 choices : buy yourself an MB860 Battery Charger Module, A home made factory cable at least, or borrow an BHX9 battery from a frien just for flashing if you are lucky and someone you know close to you that has that kind of battery, cause there is NO knowned ways to charge a bettery within the phone without an operationnal system and Boot protocol installed to the phone ! Sorry