• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How to control phone with broken screen from computer when there is a password?

Search This thread

giraffiki

Apr 4, 2021
My phone's screen is broken (It's black, but I think touch is working, I'm not sure though). I want to be able to use it using a PC (I just need to use two apps for a short while). I have a password on my phone. If I remember correctly, I have USB debugging enabled. I don't know if I had ever checked the option to always allow from this computer when the allow USB debugging modal pops up. I am trying to use scrcpy to control my phone from my computer. The phone is Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016).

This is what I have tried:

I downloaded adb from here. I downloaded scrcpy from here. I moved the adb files to a folder. I moved scrcpy files to the same folder, overwriting the duplicates.

I opened the command prompt from that folder (I'm on Windows). I connected my phone to the computer using a USB cable. As soon as I connected it, I ran the command
Code:
adb devices -l
This is what I got:

Code:
List of devices attached
31002adf4e2c435f       device product:j7xeltexx model:SM_J710F device:j7xelte transport_id:1

The I ran the following commands:

Code:
adb shell input swipe 600 800 150 900 300                            (swipe to get to screen with password prompt)
adb shell input text "[mypassword]"                                  (enter my password)
adb shell input keyevent 66                                          (press enter key)
scrcpy

This is what I got in the command prompt (after the last command):

Code:
INFO: scrcpy 1.17 <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>
C:\Users\[User]\Desktop\New folder (2)\scrcpy-server: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 5.0 MB/s (34930 bytes in 0.007s)
[server] INFO: Device: samsung SM-J710F (Android 8.1.0)
INFO: Renderer: direct3d
INFO: Initial texture: 720x1280
WARN: Device disconnected

I am stuck here, with no idea what to do. I've tried using Vysor, but it also didn't work. I don't have have to stick with scrcpy; I'm willing to use any method to use my phone. Please keep in mind that I don't intend to transfer data; I want to use two apps (one of which is the Signal app, to transfer my chats)

User699

Feb 28, 2021
If I remember correctly, I have USB debugging enabled. I don't know if I had ever checked the option to always allow from this computer when the allow USB debugging modal pops up.
Yes, you have. Else, adb devices would show nothing.

Code:
C:\Users\[User]\Desktop\New folder (2)\scrcpy-server: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 5.0 MB/s (34930 bytes in 0.007s)
[server] INFO: Device: samsung SM-J710F (Android 8.1.0)
INFO: Renderer: direct3d
INFO: Initial texture: 720x1280
WARN: Device disconnected
Did you pull out your cable or something?
Usally this happens, if you turn of Android-Debugging while the server is running.

EDIT: What happens, if you only use scrcpy without your adb shell input code?

giraffiki

Apr 4, 2021
Yes, you have. Else, adb devices would show nothing.

Did you pull out your cable or something?
Usally this happens, if you turn of Android-Debugging while the server is running.

EDIT: What happens, if you only use scrcpy without your adb shell input code?
I did not pull out my cable. I tried this multiple times. At least some of those times, the phone's battery wasn't 100% charged.

When I use only scrcpy, I get the same output (the one you quoted in your post).

Last edited:

User699

Feb 28, 2021
I did not pull out my cable. I tried this multiple times. At least some of those times, the phones battery wasn't 100% charged.

When I use only scrcpy, I get the same output (the one you quoted in your post).
I have to think about it, but for now I'm out of ideas...
If you didn't pull out your cable and if you didn't turn off adb debugging on your phone somehow, then it should work...
Here's what I get, maybe that helps:
Code:
/usr/local/share/scrcpy/scrcpy-server:...shed. 0.8 MB/s (34930 bytes in 0.039s)
[server] INFO: Device: Xiaomi Mi A2 (Android 10)
INFO: Renderer: opengl
INFO: OpenGL version: 3.0 Mesa 20.0.8
INFO: Trilinear filtering enabled
INFO: Initial texture: 1080x2160