• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOW TO] CONVERT any ROM to F2FS format

Search This thread

Ianchua

Jul 26, 2012
Singapore
NOTE:As i have already moved on to the S6 edge, the amount of support that i can provide would be minimal

THIS IS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL VARIANTS OF THE NOTE 3.

Firstly f2fs can only be used with f2fs compatible KERNEL'S and if you brick your device,Its just because you didnt read and follow the instructions listed from this part of the OP.

Before we start,I would like to thank @psycho4us4 who had allowed me to start a guide thread on the Note3 Forums on f2fs based on his thread from the Note2 http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-2-tmobile/development/how-to-conversion-t2853975

Kernel's with full f2fs support>System,Cache,Data

-Lean Kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2488082
(Tested)

-Shinto kernel.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2895089
(Tested)

Feel free to inform me on kernels which have full support with all 3 partitions mentioned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONVERSION OF EXT4 TO F2FS

1.Make sure you have the latest TWRP Recovery on your device(V2.8.1.0 Should be good to go) Get it here> http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

2.In the { Settings } menu of TWRP make sure the [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ] is unchecked MAKE A FULL, COMPLETE BACKUP with TWRP 2.8.1.0 ( I can't stress this enough if you don't want to use Odin). Keeping in mind that whatever format your partitions are is what format they will be backed up as, such as EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, FAT, F2FS, etc. This will wipe INTERNAL SD so please make a backup of it to your EXT SD CARD/EXTERNAL MEMORY DRIVE.

3. Next from TWRP home, select { WIPE }

4. Then select { ADVANCED WIPE }

5. Then select { CACHE } and click { REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM }

6. Then select { Change File System } and select { F2FS }, then SWIPE TO CHANGE. After it formats successfully click { Back }. Then hit the back button for 2 pages until your back at the [ Select Partitions To Wipe page ].

7. Now select { SYSTEM } and click { REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM }

8. Then select { Change File System } and select { F2FS }, then SWIPE TO CHANGE. After it formats successfully click { Back }. Then hit the back button for 2 pages until your back at the [ Select Partitions To Wipe page ].

9. Then select { DATA } and click { REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM }

10. Then select { Change File System } and select { F2FS }, then SWIPE TO CHANGE. After it formats successfully click { Back }. Then hit the back button for 2 pages until your back at the [ Select Partitions To Wipe page ].

11. Next from TWRP home, click { Settings } then { X } the box that says [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ].

12. Hit the back button, then select { Restore }. Click on the package you want to restore ( this is the backup you made in step #2 )'

13. Next { X } the boxes { CACHE, SYSTEM, and DATA ONLY }. Then SWIPE TO RESTORE.

14. ALL DONE now just click { Reboot System }

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just in case you have a problem and you needed to convert back to EXT4,Here is how you do it

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONVERSION FROM F2FS TO EXT4

1. If you don't already have a backup that you want to use ( backed up with the [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ] UNCHECKED ) then make one using Step 2 from above instructions.

2. Follow steps 2 through 14 from above, the only thing you have to do different is, instead of choosing { F2FS } for the file format you can choose ANY of the options available as long as the KERNEL you are running supports the format you are switching to.

3. That"s it

3a. If you already have a backup done with the format you desire all you have to do is make sure the [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ] option is UNCHECKED then restore the { CACHE } AND { SYSTEM } partitions from the package you desire that was made in the format you desire.

3b. The { DATA } has to be done manually by following steps 3, 4, 9, 10 but then hit the back button till your at the TWRP home screen. Next do step 11. Then restore the { DATA } partition from the same backup as mentioned in step 3a.

3c. Reboot and done!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Last edited:

adario73

Jun 16, 2011
Thank you for this !
Testing right now.
i'll backup everything and save in external microsd, never know ...

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

I receive the message 'FAILED' when attemting to restore the system partition, but only at the and, after restoring all of the 2 GB :confused:

going on, maybe it'll work ...

Reactions: luizgcrodrigues

psycho4us4

Mar 30, 2012
Yorba Linda, CA
Thank you for this !
Testing right now.
i'll backup everything and save in external microsd, never know ...

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

I receive the message 'FAILED' when attemting to restore the system partition, but only at the and, after restoring all of the 2 GB :confused:

going on, maybe it'll work ...
Try slimming down your system partition before you make the backup. It's got to be twrp blocking the restoration of such a large system partition. We have the same issue with the note 2. Only for some users though.

Reactions: adario73

adario73

Jun 16, 2011
Try slimming down your system partition before you make the backup. It's got to be twrp blocking the restoration of such a large system partition. We have the same issue with the note 2. Only for some users though.

i think you are right, but my ROM is samsung based, and it is soooo large :(
i don't know how much i'll be able to trim it.
Thank you anyway !

Ianchua

Jul 26, 2012
Singapore
I hear ya. I also think it's time for someone to talk to bigbiff about this issue. Whatcha think @lanchua
Yeap. We should talk about this, it seems that various devices have various problems restoring system when the file is too big.
i think you are right, but my ROM is samsung based, and it is soooo large :(
i don't know how much i'll be able to trim it.
Thank you anyway !

What ROM are you on? I will try to emulate this on my Note3.

Sent from a ELITE S5 Powered Note3 rigged with f2fs awesomeness with Compulsion Kernel. Peace✌

adario73

Jun 16, 2011
Yeap. We should talk about this, it seems that various devices have various problems restoring system when the file is too big.

What ROM are you on? I will try to emulate this on my Note3.

Sent from a ELITE S5 Powered Note3 rigged with f2fs awesomeness with Compulsion Kernel. Peace✌
i'm on XNote ( not the S5 port ), the last version published here ...
thank you for this.
I'm really curious to see the performances of f2fs on note3 :)

Ianchua

Jul 26, 2012
Singapore
i'm on XNote ( not the S5 port ), the last version published here ...
thank you for this.
I'm really curious to see the performances of f2fs on note3 :)
Alright. By the way which Variant of the Note3 are you using?

And trust me, the effects is very visible ask the Note 2 guys who used it! They will tell you that its real good! And touchwiz lag? It tamed it

adario73

Jun 16, 2011
Alright. By the way which Variant of the Note3 are you using?

And trust me, the effects is very visible ask the Note 2 guys who used it! They will tell you that its real good! And touchwiz lag? It tamed it

you are making me VEEEERY curious !
the variant i have is HLTE N9005

Ianchua

Jul 26, 2012
Singapore
you are making me VEEEERY curious !
the variant i have is HLTE N9005
Than you should be good to go.

Try this steps,

After formatting one partition and converting it, reboot to recovery before moving on to format and convert other partitions from there.

adario73

Jun 16, 2011
Than you should be good to go.

Try this steps,

After formatting one partition and converting it, reboot to recovery before moving on to format and convert other partitions from there.

The only partition that fails ( to restore ) is system.
So, if i well understood, i should try the following :
- format the system partition;
- restart recovery;
- restore the partition from the backup.
ok, i'll try !
thank you again !

EDIT : tried and does not work, reverting again to ext4 :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Ianchua

Ianchua

Jul 26, 2012
Singapore
The only partition that fails ( to restore ) is system.
So, if i well understood, i should try the following :
- format the system partition;
- restart recovery;
- restore the partition from the backup.
ok, i'll try !
thank you again !

EDIT : tried and does not work, reverting again to ext4 :(
Does the back up of your ROM consist of a F2FS compatible kernel? If it does not, than it could be why your system refused to get restored.

adario73

Jun 16, 2011
Does the back up of your ROM consist of a F2FS compatible kernel? If it does not, than it could be why your system refused to get restored.

At the moment i'm using Ultimate Kernel, which is F2FS compatible.
What if i format using F2Fs and then do a clean install ?
Will i be able to restore a Titanium backup ? ( why not ... )

Ianchua

Jul 26, 2012
Singapore
At the moment i'm using Ultimate Kernel, which is F2FS compatible.
What if i format using F2Fs and then do a clean install ?
Will i be able to restore a Titanium backup ? ( why not ... )
Yes definitely. Just remember to put your TB backup folder in External SD card.

adario73

Jun 16, 2011
Yes definitely. Just remember to put your TB backup folder in External SD card.

OK, flashing right now on F2FS partition, will report later ( after succesful apps restore :) )

not booting ...
clean install failed !!!
flashed LeanKernel, doesn't boot .

it really seems i can't use F2FS goodness on my Note3 :(

Last edited:

Ianchua

Jul 26, 2012
Singapore
OK, flashing right now on F2FS partition, will report later ( after succesful apps restore :) )

not booting ...
clean install failed !!!
flashed LeanKernel, doesn't boot .

it really seems i can't use F2FS goodness on my Note3 :(
Okay. Try this once more,

Try Conerting the System to f2fs first than convert the rest there after.
Reboot to recovery after doing all this

For the restore part. Restore System,cache and data separately with reboot to recovery in between.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE:As i have already moved on to the S6 edge, the amount of support that i can provide would be minimal

THIS IS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL VARIANTS OF THE NOTE 3.

Firstly f2fs can only be used with f2fs compatible KERNEL'S and if you brick your device,Its just because you didnt read and follow the instructions listed from this part of the OP.

Before we start,I would like to thank @psycho4us4 who had allowed me to start a guide thread on the Note3 Forums on f2fs based on his thread from the Note2 http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-2-tmobile/development/how-to-conversion-t2853975

Kernel's with full f2fs support>System,Cache,Data

-Lean Kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2488082
    (Tested)

-Shinto kernel.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2895089
    (Tested)

Feel free to inform me on kernels which have full support with all 3 partitions mentioned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONVERSION OF EXT4 TO F2FS

1.Make sure you have the latest TWRP Recovery on your device(V2.8.1.0 Should be good to go) Get it here> http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

2.In the { Settings } menu of TWRP make sure the [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ] is unchecked MAKE A FULL, COMPLETE BACKUP with TWRP 2.8.1.0 ( I can't stress this enough if you don't want to use Odin). Keeping in mind that whatever format your partitions are is what format they will be backed up as, such as EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, FAT, F2FS, etc. This will wipe INTERNAL SD so please make a backup of it to your EXT SD CARD/EXTERNAL MEMORY DRIVE.

3. Next from TWRP home, select { WIPE }

4. Then select { ADVANCED WIPE }

5. Then select { CACHE } and click { REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM }

6. Then select { Change File System } and select { F2FS }, then SWIPE TO CHANGE. After it formats successfully click { Back }. Then hit the back button for 2 pages until your back at the [ Select Partitions To Wipe page ].

7. Now select { SYSTEM } and click { REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM }

8. Then select { Change File System } and select { F2FS }, then SWIPE TO CHANGE. After it formats successfully click { Back }. Then hit the back button for 2 pages until your back at the [ Select Partitions To Wipe page ].

9. Then select { DATA } and click { REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM }

10. Then select { Change File System } and select { F2FS }, then SWIPE TO CHANGE. After it formats successfully click { Back }. Then hit the back button for 2 pages until your back at the [ Select Partitions To Wipe page ].

11. Next from TWRP home, click { Settings } then { X } the box that says [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ].

12. Hit the back button, then select { Restore }. Click on the package you want to restore ( this is the backup you made in step #2 )'

13. Next { X } the boxes { CACHE, SYSTEM, and DATA ONLY }. Then SWIPE TO RESTORE.

14. ALL DONE now just click { Reboot System }

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just in case you have a problem and you needed to convert back to EXT4,Here is how you do it

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONVERSION FROM F2FS TO EXT4

1. If you don't already have a backup that you want to use ( backed up with the [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ] UNCHECKED ) then make one using Step 2 from above instructions.

2. Follow steps 2 through 14 from above, the only thing you have to do different is, instead of choosing { F2FS } for the file format you can choose ANY of the options available as long as the KERNEL you are running supports the format you are switching to.

3. That"s it

3a. If you already have a backup done with the format you desire all you have to do is make sure the [ Use rm -rf instead of formatting ] option is UNCHECKED then restore the { CACHE } AND { SYSTEM } partitions from the package you desire that was made in the format you desire.

3b. The { DATA } has to be done manually by following steps 3, 4, 9, 10 but then hit the back button till your at the TWRP home screen. Next do step 11. Then restore the { DATA } partition from the same backup as mentioned in step 3a.

3c. Reboot and done!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    sorry to ask that but what's the interest of that manipulation??????
    In my opinion, f2fs would definitely boost the speed of your device or rather smooth it out and help with reliability.

I would like to correct this part. f2fs would work with the Note3 its just that there might be some bugs that the Dev of TWRP need to fix not to mention the fact that I already said previously that everyone should hang on for awhile before he gets back to me
    I agree there are some bugs that dev of twrp (bigbiff) needs to fix for this to work flawlessly. In the op there's a link for the original instructions written by me. If you read the whole thread some people weren't successful in certain partitions but most were successful fully. The system partition on most roms are rather large. I think there's some kind of written code BLOCK that is stopping the restore of extra large system partition while formatted to F2FS. The data sometimes gets corrupted sporadically but once again, that I believe is a twrp issue as well. Moral of the story is that @Ianchua is totally legit in having this thread cause this WILL work once the slight errors are fixed by bigbiff. Hippie everyone understands and had the patience to wait for these errors to be taken care of. Thanks in advance.
    after about 5 hours find out that you must move the twrp back up to the micro sd because of the converting of ext4 to f2fs..and back again to device after the convert to start the restore..you must notice that to the people because you saying only that we must take back up..not to move it also to the micro sd..

so..
    results//// WORKED!

the note now is really much faster....it worth the effort
    Thanks for the guide, i had on the back of my mind to convert to f2fs at some time, but now i will definitely try it.
    Had f2fs on my "old" note 2 and it was flying in comparison with ext4. No lags, faster, smoother, better.