• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to Cook a Rom

Search This thread

ANTC

Feb 11, 2007
NY
Www.talkingabouttechnology.com
Okay after reading through a few threads on XDA I thought I might take a stab at writing a Simple tutorial of the knowledge I know of cooking a rom

Step 1: Download a kitchen of your choice I think the Kitchens from Matt are the best to use only my recommendion
Step 2: Download the OEM packages you'll need..Leave them in a different folder then the Kitchen right now..
Step 3: Make a OEM folder in the kitchen folder if theres not one already and place it in the kitchen folder
Step 4: Take the OEM packages from the desktop and drag the ones needed for your rom
Step 5: Click Build OS check the files your going to have in your ROM to be built..if it errors look at where it errored and check the OEM package to see if it meets the standered below
Step 6: Now add any thing you need to edit in the dump or replace files (EX: Welcome Screen, themes, initflashfiles.dat file ect)
Step 7: Now run the CreateROM.bat once finished you'll have a new file in the temp folder
Step 8: In the kitchen there will be a nb2nbf_wizard.exe if not search the forums..open that model ID will say Wizard.. change the language to WWE then on the bottom you'll see empty fields..those are self explanatory pick OS for the ROM then locate the file in the TEMP folder of the Kitchen
Step 9: Now once its finished translating where ever the output direction was it will be your file to flash, now move that to the RUU and flash and say Hello to your own Cooked rom

PS Steps will varies from Kitchen to kitchen but this covers the jist of basic ones

nows for the complex parts how to make an OEM package...Information from double_ofour

Step 1: Vist http://www.famkruithof.net/uuid/uuidgen the Create UUIDs of another type should be set to Version 4: random then a code like this "6bfb7458-6a83-450a-9da5-b5feabba8335" will be made
Step 2: make the code the name of the 2 text files you have in the OEM package folder, Change one Text file extension to RGU and the other DSM
Step 3: now the RGU is where the Reg hacks are the first line MUST be REGEDIT4 then you list your Reg hacks.. in the formate like this
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\MASD]
"TaskManager"="1_5_29968_1"
Step 4: Leave a space after the last reg hack and save as UNICODE
Step 5: add any files to the OEM package Folder they will be put in the /Windows directory
to make an extension into the programs folder you should edit the initflashfiles.dat

How to edit the initflashfiles- Should be done between useing the Build OS and Create Rom
Step 1: open the file with note pad
Step 2: remove any lines that aren't needed..sometimes you'll see likes to create a folder for a shortcut when your not using the program
Step 3: add a line to create a shortcut for a program from your own OEM package...Most packages here already do it for you

sigh I'm tired of typing but theres a basic out line of what cooking a rom consists of..feel free to add anything I might of missed

Just thought I'd help out anyone looking to cook a rom and needs a little guide

Please don't ask for help here..I'm not text support..I think there shoul dbe one thread for all cooking questions..you guys could even use the thread when i asked for help

PS again thanks to all the people here at XDA that made cooking simple easy even ifs making a OEM pack or a fix or even a kitchen thank you all

ANTC

Feb 11, 2007
NY
maybe some one can help you with the dump question its hard for me to put into words since core does it by it self
and th build os problem is something to take up with the maker of ur kitchen try doing a windows update you may need sp2 or net framework

anichillus

Retired Moderator
Nov 20, 2006
Timisoara
I suggest making this thread sticky, removing all unnecessary posts, including this one and transform it into an How To thread. Where everybody can post tutorials on different aspects of rom cooking.
How do I dump an official rom?
Same you do with an unofficial one lol :) The difference is that you won't find any missing files and that means less work for you.

dferreira

Jan 26, 2007
Oulu
www.denzilferreira.com
I suggest making this thread sticky, removing all unnecessary posts, including this one and transform it into an How To thread. Where everybody can post tutorials on different aspects of rom cooking.

Same you do with an unofficial one lol :) The difference is that you won't find any missing files and that means less work for you.
It won't dump using your kitchen... Try the last oficial RUU Prodigy of WM5 and you'll see that it seems to be protected, since it can't extract the 8004000 :s

ANTC

Feb 11, 2007
NY

Coming from you thats a huge compliment..

nycelitemaster

May 11, 2007
Long Island, NY
what can i do if i want to add programs like TNT, i have few apps compared to mfrazz's build or TNT and now if i add 1 more program in my kitchen it crashes the buildimgfs.exe, anything i can do to add more? i am using faria's kitchen tool

mfrazzz

Sep 12, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
Personally, I would suggest doing a topic like this in the Wiki. Then have a topic here that is stickied to point to the Wiki entry.

Here's a page I started for the Faria Kitchen last May. http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=FPRK_Cooking_Instructions
You could take what ANTC posted and merge with the info I provided and come up with a nice generic page for cooking )most of the kitchens work the same since they all use basically the same set of tools).

Here's a page on making OEM packages that da_jojo added on:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=FPRK_Creating_ROM_Packages

BTW: If you do the instructions in the Wiki then any / all of us can help maintain it (where posts here can only be maintained by the original poster).

grimstar8402

Sep 27, 2008
My problem when building the rom is when it is finished this error comes up

"c:\DocumentsandSetting\M541378\ApplicationData\hIqInc\PPC-BuildOS\9.05.3.0Temp\ROM\XIP"

so in my ROM folder there is no XIP, I create the folder, and I re-create, it and then the XIP folder erases. I have no idea why this happens? Can anyone please help....

smashface28

Dec 2, 2008
Updating rom image USING FARSTONE DRIVE CLONE

Hi all i'm new at the forum, i would like to know if i can create an image with farstone drive clone of all the programs i have and configurations and then upload it to the phone?? I would like that even if i have to perform a hard-reset on the device it would still have all the progs and configurations created on the image uploaded.

Any suggestions are welcomed!!!!!

kenchoo

Jul 2, 2008
hi, I am a newbbiess... i am totally not understand what do u mean by kitchen... but i am intrested in generate a ROM myself.. please advice..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay after reading through a few threads on XDA I thought I might take a stab at writing a Simple tutorial of the knowledge I know of cooking a rom

Step 1: Download a kitchen of your choice I think the Kitchens from Matt are the best to use only my recommendion
    Step 2: Download the OEM packages you'll need..Leave them in a different folder then the Kitchen right now..
    Step 3: Make a OEM folder in the kitchen folder if theres not one already and place it in the kitchen folder
    Step 4: Take the OEM packages from the desktop and drag the ones needed for your rom
    Step 5: Click Build OS check the files your going to have in your ROM to be built..if it errors look at where it errored and check the OEM package to see if it meets the standered below
    Step 6: Now add any thing you need to edit in the dump or replace files (EX: Welcome Screen, themes, initflashfiles.dat file ect)
    Step 7: Now run the CreateROM.bat once finished you'll have a new file in the temp folder
    Step 8: In the kitchen there will be a nb2nbf_wizard.exe if not search the forums..open that model ID will say Wizard.. change the language to WWE then on the bottom you'll see empty fields..those are self explanatory pick OS for the ROM then locate the file in the TEMP folder of the Kitchen
    Step 9: Now once its finished translating where ever the output direction was it will be your file to flash, now move that to the RUU and flash and say Hello to your own Cooked rom

PS Steps will varies from Kitchen to kitchen but this covers the jist of basic ones

nows for the complex parts how to make an OEM package...Information from double_ofour

Step 1: Vist http://www.famkruithof.net/uuid/uuidgen the Create UUIDs of another type should be set to Version 4: random then a code like this "6bfb7458-6a83-450a-9da5-b5feabba8335" will be made
    Step 2: make the code the name of the 2 text files you have in the OEM package folder, Change one Text file extension to RGU and the other DSM
    Step 3: now the RGU is where the Reg hacks are the first line MUST be REGEDIT4 then you list your Reg hacks.. in the formate like this
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\MASD]
    "TaskManager"="1_5_29968_1"
    Step 4: Leave a space after the last reg hack and save as UNICODE
    Step 5: add any files to the OEM package Folder they will be put in the /Windows directory
    to make an extension into the programs folder you should edit the initflashfiles.dat

How to edit the initflashfiles- Should be done between useing the Build OS and Create Rom
    Step 1: open the file with note pad
    Step 2: remove any lines that aren't needed..sometimes you'll see likes to create a folder for a shortcut when your not using the program
    Step 3: add a line to create a shortcut for a program from your own OEM package...Most packages here already do it for you

sigh I'm tired of typing but theres a basic out line of what cooking a rom consists of..feel free to add anything I might of missed

Just thought I'd help out anyone looking to cook a rom and needs a little guide

Please don't ask for help here..I'm not text support..I think there shoul dbe one thread for all cooking questions..you guys could even use the thread when i asked for help

PS again thanks to all the people here at XDA that made cooking simple easy even ifs making a OEM pack or a fix or even a kitchen thank you all