[HOW-TO] Create a custom boot animation

Search This thread

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Creating your own boot animation is an easy process. Here is a short guide showing you how:

You must create a series of .png files. There are many programs out there to do so. There are basic ones like Easy Gif Animator. Or more professional ones like Adobe After Effects.

The package you will create is made up of two main parts:

The first part is the text file:

The 'desc.txt' file tells your device how to play the sequence of images. It will look something like this:

Code:
1282 802 30
p 1 20 folder1
p 0 0 folder2

In the example above the files will be stretched to fit the screen, will play at 30fps, folder1's contents will play once, then wait 20 frames, then folder2's contents will play infinitely, until the device has booted.
  • The '1282 802' figures are the resolution you wish the files to be displayed at. The screen is obviously 1280x800 but I've found that if you set it to that resolution you get a border of coloured pixels around the extreme edge of the display, so I suggest you set it to 1282 802 to make sure your animation looks fine.
  • The '30' is the frames per second (fps), the speed at which you would like your animation to play.
  • p = a break in the text file to show a new command will be issued.
  • In the next column the '1' means it plays that sequence once (setting it to '0' means it plays infinitely), with the '20' meaning it will wait 20 frames before it continues onto the next line of the file (if set to 0 it doesnt pause at all).
  • folder1 and folder2 are the names of the folders containing your PNG images. You can use multiple folders if you wish, or just one folder. It doesnt matter what you name the folders, as long as you specify their names in the desc.txt file properly.

The second part are the actual images you have created:
  • The files must be named in a progressive numerical format, e.g. 0.png, 1.png, 2.png, 3.png, etc. and placed in a folder.
  • If there is a gap in the numbers or any missing, the animation will look jerky, or if you are just testing via ADB it will just fail altogether.
  • When you are satisifed with your files, they all need to be packaged up into a zip file. Use any program like Winzip or Winrar to do this. You need to name your file 'bootanimation.zip' and make sure it's not compressed, so choose the 'store' or 'not compressed' options when you are creating your final file.

To test your file works nicely follow the 'How to Install' guide I made HERE.
If you wish to upload so others may use your creation, you can use THIS handy site to upload to multiple sites at once for free.

------

Tips:

Creating a series of images 1280x800 will result in a massive zip file. You're better off scaling down your images (e.g. 640x400). They will be stretched to fit the screen so don't worry about that. Also a max of about 100kb each is advisable for a series of up to about 100 images total.

Depending on the length of your animation you may need to scale your images down or reduce their quality so that the end files will play properly. Total size shouldn't really exceed about 8mb (the TF can still play the files if they are larger in size, but they don't run nearly as well). A 1.5mb sized package seems to play best however. The original TF animation package is about this size.

------

Troubleshooting:

If your sequence doesn't play on your device, make sure you have done all of the following:
  • Sent the file across properly using ADB.
  • Saved the zip file with no compression.
  • Renamed it bootanimation.zip.
  • Included the desc.txt file.
  • Make sure there is an extra blank line at the end, inside the desc.txt file.
------

I've included an example .zip file below with the basics in it. It's not a full animation file, but an example so you can familiarise yourself with the settings/structure. If you want to download and check out some fully compiled sample files you can do so in my thread [url="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1101535]HERE[/url].

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    76.3 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

wakjagner

Jun 13, 2011
Stump Town
twitter.com
Thanks for the guide. I have found this works fine for a single folder setup, but all my double folder attempts have failed, using your exact guide and ensuring consecutive numbers between folders. The terminal says "alloc iovmm" and terminates shell when I get to the second folder. I was hoping to have a "start up" sequence, with just part of the animation looping until the end of start up, but no joy.

--Jak

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
You need to make sure there are no hidden files inside the folders, so make sure (if you are using windows) that everything is set to show up in your file manager/explorer. Sometimes there are hidden files like 'thumbs.db', etc. You also need to make sure that the folder1 and folder2 lines, are on separate lines in the 'desc.txt' file.

wishmasterwww

Jan 13, 2012
Awsome

As soon as I read your post, went to testing, took an image and edited in MSPaint, created the zip, 480x800, and it works perfectly, as long as the FPS is set to 24 for my LG Optimus Black.

Forgot to look at the size of the archive, it turns to be 27MB, but the thing just works. Thanks, man!

jimmygoska

Apr 26, 2009
would someone mind taking a look at my animation and tell me where i've gone wrong? im feeling pretty thick as this should be an easy procedure and i just cant get it working.

when i try running it with adb it runs through folder0 then stops and says 'segmentation fault' in my command prompt. when i reboot it just shows a black screen after running through folder0.

thank you!

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    689.5 KB · Views: 44

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
would someone mind taking a look at my animation and tell me where i've gone wrong? im feeling pretty thick as this should be an easy procedure and i just cant get it working.

when i try running it with adb it runs through folder0 then stops and says 'segmentation fault' in my command prompt. when i reboot it just shows a black screen after running through folder0.

thank you!

Instead of folder0 and folder1 try renaming them to part0 and part1

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
There is no boot sound that I am aware of...no device I've ever booted had sound (until it booted completely)..there may be a way to enable it but thus far I haven't found one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Creating your own boot animation is an easy process. Here is a short guide showing you how:

You must create a series of .png files. There are many programs out there to do so. There are basic ones like Easy Gif Animator. Or more professional ones like Adobe After Effects.

The package you will create is made up of two main parts:

The first part is the text file:

The 'desc.txt' file tells your device how to play the sequence of images. It will look something like this:

Code:
    1282 802 30
    p 1 20 folder1
    p 0 0 folder2

In the example above the files will be stretched to fit the screen, will play at 30fps, folder1's contents will play once, then wait 20 frames, then folder2's contents will play infinitely, until the device has booted.
    • The '1282 802' figures are the resolution you wish the files to be displayed at. The screen is obviously 1280x800 but I've found that if you set it to that resolution you get a border of coloured pixels around the extreme edge of the display, so I suggest you set it to 1282 802 to make sure your animation looks fine.
    • The '30' is the frames per second (fps), the speed at which you would like your animation to play.
    • p = a break in the text file to show a new command will be issued.
    • In the next column the '1' means it plays that sequence once (setting it to '0' means it plays infinitely), with the '20' meaning it will wait 20 frames before it continues onto the next line of the file (if set to 0 it doesnt pause at all).
    • folder1 and folder2 are the names of the folders containing your PNG images. You can use multiple folders if you wish, or just one folder. It doesnt matter what you name the folders, as long as you specify their names in the desc.txt file properly.

The second part are the actual images you have created:
    • The files must be named in a progressive numerical format, e.g. 0.png, 1.png, 2.png, 3.png, etc. and placed in a folder.
    • If there is a gap in the numbers or any missing, the animation will look jerky, or if you are just testing via ADB it will just fail altogether.
    • When you are satisifed with your files, they all need to be packaged up into a zip file. Use any program like Winzip or Winrar to do this. You need to name your file 'bootanimation.zip' and make sure it's not compressed, so choose the 'store' or 'not compressed' options when you are creating your final file.

To test your file works nicely follow the 'How to Install' guide I made HERE.
    If you wish to upload so others may use your creation, you can use THIS handy site to upload to multiple sites at once for free.

------

Tips:

Creating a series of images 1280x800 will result in a massive zip file. You're better off scaling down your images (e.g. 640x400). They will be stretched to fit the screen so don't worry about that. Also a max of about 100kb each is advisable for a series of up to about 100 images total.

Depending on the length of your animation you may need to scale your images down or reduce their quality so that the end files will play properly. Total size shouldn't really exceed about 8mb (the TF can still play the files if they are larger in size, but they don't run nearly as well). A 1.5mb sized package seems to play best however. The original TF animation package is about this size.

------

Troubleshooting:

If your sequence doesn't play on your device, make sure you have done all of the following:
    • Sent the file across properly using ADB.
    • Saved the zip file with no compression.
    • Renamed it bootanimation.zip.
    • Included the desc.txt file.
    • Make sure there is an extra blank line at the end, inside the desc.txt file.
    ------

I've included an example .zip file below with the basics in it. It's not a full animation file, but an example so you can familiarise yourself with the settings/structure. If you want to download and check out some fully compiled sample files you can do so in my thread [url="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1101535]HERE[/url].

Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone