[How to] Deal with Bloat Safely & Properly {Freeze Method/ROOT} | BIGGER LIST(S)! 3/1

Search This thread

xyrovice

Dec 21, 2009
Manhattan
[How to] Deal with Bloat Safely & Properly {Freeze Method/ROOT} | BIGGER LIST(S)! 3/1

UPDATE: 3/1/11 @ 23:49

BIGGER COMPREHENSIVE LIST
+
A "RECOMMENDED" LIST!

I'm holding off on a "Not Recommended" List for a bit until I get your guys thoughts on what should stay, be added, or be taken off of the recommended list!

PLEASE COMMENT WITH YOUR THOUGHTS!

(And thanks to kgeissler for a bunch of new frozen goods!)

__________________________________________________________________​

You are here because...
You bought your Atrix and hate your cluttered app drawer, as well as the feeling that your phone has to fight with one hand behind it's back...hell, maybe blindfolded, too.

You want...
To get rid of as much of the bloat on your phone as possible. You want to de-Motoblur it. You want to de-AT&T it. You want to give it back its other hand, and maybe a small knife (not to mention doing away with the blindfold).

You don't want...
To modify your phone in a manner that would be harmful. You don't want a brick/paper weight/somehow broken device.

If this is you, keep reading.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________​

First Offs:

> This thread is meant to help, not hurt. That being said, if, after reading this thread and performing some of the procedures detailed within, you do end up damaging your phone, neither I nor any of the others who contributed can be held responsible in any way. By reading this and performing any of the said procedures, you take full responsibility for what might happen to your phone.

> Upon writing this, the Atrix has only been officially released for less than 5 days. Devs are still working to free the bootloader, and thus most users are still only able to perform rudimentary modifications to the phone. Please realize that this thread may become obsolete as developers become more familiar with the device and are able to write all sorts of one-clicks/recovery flashables to remove bloat! This brings us to...

> I will be doing my absolute best to update this as frequently as possible in the case that new methods and/or new dangers arise regarding file modification on our devices. If this thread ever becomes obsolete, it will be noted as such in both the thread title as well as being the first thing in the original post (this).

With all that said, let us continue:

One of the most valuable pieces of information regarding modifying the Atrix's files comes from TeamBlackHat's P3Droid, known on XDA as jimmydafish:

Hello my name is P3Droid,

We (TBH) have a lot of experience in Motorola phones and hacking. This experience dates back to the Razr days.

Here is a word of caution. Do no delete apps from the System partition, I would suggest you only rename them to .bak. When Motorola pushes updates each of the files undergoes a hash check, if the file has been manipulated or is missing the entire update will fail.

Until a system only sbf or similar is released, unless you make a back up with bootstrap and recovery, you will eliminate your ability to take updates moving forward.

In summary: DO NOT DELETE APPS FROM THE SYSTEM PARTITION. This will result in the inability to receive official Motorola updates.

The thread from which the above quote was taken can be found here, and I would highly recommend that every single Atrix owner wishing to do any sort of file manipulation read it before doing anything else. It's only 4 pages, and well worth one's time.

So, how do we go about removing any bloat?

1) Any apps that are NOT in the system partition are safe to modify. Many have reported being able to remove apps by means of the standard Android applications manager. Details on this method can be found in this thread started by Fixter, who says:

They can be removed by the Manage Applications settings. Very simple indeed.

PLEASE NOTE: This method does NOT require root priviliges, and would be a very good place to start for more inexperienced users due to the relative ease and safety it affords. At the same time, it does not allow for access to some of the more deeply embedded apps/files you may wish to modify. This brings us to...

The Freezing Method

First suggested (to my knowledge) by acPIZZA:
I suggest everyone that is rooted use TITANIUM BACKUP to deal with their bloatware issues. The pro version, which you will need, is only a few bucks and is worth it. TB allows you to 'freeze' bloatware apps, which to my knowledge just blocks it fro the system, but does not delete it. The apps you choose to freeze are also removed from the app tray - so no more clutter. This way when an update rolls around, you can run down the list and simply touch 'thaw' to bring those apps back to recognition. This seems like a much more efficient and easy way to go back and forth, rather than renaming the .apk's.

I apologize if someone already mentioned TB in this thread - I just skimmed quickly.

In summary:
Use Titanium Backup's "Freeze" feature to deactivate or disable files. This method allows for the safe and long term deactivation of files in order to free up RAM/CPU resources, while allowing users to easily reactivate, or "Thaw"/"Defrost" the files if the need arises (official Motorola updates, requiring a certain functionality given by a file, etc). Note: This does not free up any storage on one's phone. It merely stops a phone process so that it does not consume RAM and/or processing power.

Prerequisites:
>Root privileges (procedure can be found here; thanks goes to designgears)
>Titanium Backup (application; can be found in/downloaded from the Android Market)
Note: The "Freeze" feature of TiBU is only available in the paid version of the app. TiBU Pro only costs $3.99, and is very useful beyond just what is discussed within this thread. (Trust me, I was hesitant to spend any money in the Android Market, but this has saved me countless hours of time and much of my sanity. It is well worth it.)

Procedure: (It's actually pretty simple)
1. Open Titanium Backup
2a. If previously unopened, click "Allow" on the Superuser dialog box- this grants TiBU the required root privileges
2b. If, for whatever reason, you do not grant TiBU superuser permission, don't panic- press the menu button and tap "Reload Application"; this should give you a second shot to give the necessary permission
2c. Alternatively, you can kill TiBU in a task manager and reopen it, also giving you that second chance
3. Navigate to the Backup/Restore section by clicking the corresponding little grey bubble at the top. This brings you to a list of all sorts of system/application elements.
4. From here, it's a simple matter of tapping (not long-clicking) on an element to bring up a dialog box. This box will contain options to, among other things, backup, uninstall, and freeze.

At this point regarding Atrix development,
YOU ARE TO TOUCH NOTHING BUT "FREEZE"
...EVER. (I guess "Back up" is also fine, but that is not relevant).

Note: To Defrost/Thaw an element, simply repeat steps 1-4, instead selecting the Defrost/Thaw option.

ALSO, I personally have found that any changes made by freezing will only take effect after a reboot. Ultimately, even if this isn't the case, I suggest a reboot anyways (just for good measure). I don't believe there's a need to do this after every single time you Freeze an element, just once after you've Frozen all you'd like.

This of course brings us to...

Elements that are safe to Freeze:

Note:
This list is likely to change as more elements are found to be safe to touch. At the same time, if an element is ever found to cause problems after being Frozen, the list will be updated as soon as possible. Here we go...

The first post containing "Safe-to-Freeze" apps can be found here (Thank you, snlu178). I did not quote this post so as to avoid confusion, though I will be incorporating the list of elements in the linked post into my list. Once again, I owe a big thanks to snlu178 for the risk he took, as well taking the time to list the apps he found safe to Freeze.

The List: (Alphabetized, I believe)

*Disclaimer: Some of these elements correspond to docking/widget functionality. If something appears to be linked to a certain functionality that you need/want, DO NOT TAMPER WITH IT.

COMPREHENSIVE LIST

AdService 1.0
Alarm & Timer 2.2.1
AtCommandService 1.1
AT&T Code Scanner
AT&T Family Map
AT&T Navigator
Blockbuster 0.6
Blur.res 2.2.1
BrowserMessage 2.0.0
Cardock 1.0
com.android.providers.applications 2.2.1
com.motorola.android.extdispservice 1.0.0
com.motorola.android.syncml.service 2.2.1
com.motorola.photowidget 2.2.1
Contacts Sync 2.2.1 (google contacts will still sync)
ContactsUnconnected 2.2.1
Data Manager Service 1.1 (internet and data still works)
Desk Home 2.2.1
DLNA 0709.69
DlnaSystemService 1.0
DMService 1.0.0
DRM Protected Content Storage 2.2.1
Entertainment Center 1.0
Files 2.2.1
Forest Wallpaper 1.0
FOTA 2.2.1 (THIS DIRECTLY AFFECTS OFFICIAL MOTOROLA OVER-THE-AIR FIRMWARE UPDATES! NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL!)
Help Center
Home 2.2.1 (this is the default Motoblur launcher; as such, have a home replacement already installed and set as the default if you wish to freeze this!)
Home Screen Tips
Live TV
LocationProxyDmPlugin 2.2.1
Mediashare 1.0.0
MediaSync 1.0.0
Mobile Desktop 1.0
Motorola Dock Service 1.0
myAT&T 1.0
News & Weather 1.3.03 (Android widget, not Motoblur, just FYI)
News 2.2.1
NFS Shift 1.1.73
Purchased Media 1.0
Quick Contact 2.2.1
Quick Tutorial 0.0.1
Quickoffice
SDMService 1.0
Social Messaging 2.2.1
Social Messaging Service 2.2.1
Social Networking 2.2.1
Social Sharing 2.2.1
Social Status 2.2.1
Sticky Note 2.2.1
Swype
SyncML 2.2.1
Task Manager 9.0
Terminal Emulator (I & others believe this may affect ADB functionality; though safe, freezing this is not necessarily recommended!)
Toggle Widgets
Universal Inbox 2.2.1
VLingo
Voice Commands
Weather 2.2.1
Webtop Connector
Work Contacts 2.2.1
YPmobile

RECOMMENDED LIST -----------------------------------> {UNDER EVALUATION |:::::|:::::|:::::| PLEASE COMMENT!}

Alarm & Timer 2.2.1
AtCommandService 1.1
AT&T Code Scanner
AT&T Family Map
AT&T Navigator
Blockbuster 0.6
Entertainment Center 1.0
Help Center
Home Screen Tips
Live TV
Mediashare 1.0.0
MediaSync 1.0.0
myAT&T 1.0
News 2.2.1
NFS Shift 1.1.73
Quick Contact 2.2.1
Quick Tutorial 0.0.1
Quickoffice
Social Messaging 2.2.1
Social Networking 2.2.1
Social Sharing 2.2.1
Social Status 2.2.1
Sticky Note 2.2.1
Toggle Widgets
Universal Inbox 2.2.1
VLingo
Voice Commands
Weather 2.2.1
YPmobile

Miscellaneous:
If you happen to SNAFU your phone, as of right now your best bet is this procedure laid out by designgears.

Thanks to:
designgears
Getaphixx
Fixter
snlu178
acPIZZA
franciscojavierleon
numerous TeamBlackHat members (esp. P3Droid/Jimmydafish, cellzealot)
our dear forum moderator, Mr. Clown (thanks for the sticky!)

Last edited:

Fixter

Jun 6, 2009
Durham
Thanks for the mention friend. We need to make sure we tell them that Freeze is a paid feature of Titanium Backup paid version.

Reactions: jdadroid

MysteryOfTime

Mar 6, 2008
Houston, TX
Hmm, so I was dump and didn't read the sentence in the parenthesis next to Home 2.2.1. I froze it without have something else and now after a reboot my phone is stuck at the AT&T Rethink Possible Screen. Any ideas?

snlu178

Oct 24, 2007
This is great. Thanks for getting it stickied.

Re: the no home rebooting nag this point, check out the post on recovering from a soft boot. You will have to learn about adb, but you can get the phone back to life. Anyone else have a faster way to factory reset?

Reactions: dharrison9

xyrovice

Dec 21, 2009
Manhattan
Thanks for staying on top of things, snlu178.

I should have a moment now to update a couple of things, including the mention that the freeze feature is paid only (something I was wondering about but didn't want to speak on too soon; thanks again, Fixter).

Also, regarding the ghetto .bak alternative, does that require Root Explorer? I guess I'd be willing to mention it, but ultimately, if it's a matter of buying Root Explorer, then I might just confine this thread to dealing with TiBU.

Let me work on a small revision, and also make sure freezing Home 2.2.1 can be risky if done so improperly.

franciscojavierleon

Jul 16, 2010
Maracaibo
Also, regarding the ghetto .bak alternative, does that require Root Explorer? I guess I'd be willing to mention it, but ultimately, if it's a matter of buying Root Explorer, then I might just confine this thread to dealing with TiBU.

Let me work on a small revision, and also make sure freezing Home 2.2.1 can be risky if done so improperly.

Just found out root explorer is also paid. Not that i don't want to pay, it's just that i am new at android (atrix will ship down here in about 2 weeks) and don't know if the market accepts credit cards from Venezuela yet. I will try...

My guess is that there should be a way to rename files from the adb shell as well. Either that, or install openssh or something on the phone and then just su and rename. It's linux, after all.

About freezing home, besides having already installed another launcher like launcher pro or adw, i guess it should be active before freezing it? To avoid force close or other problems.

xyrovice

Dec 21, 2009
Manhattan
Just found out root explorer is also paid. Not that i don't want to pay, it's just that i am new at android (atrix will ship down here in about 2 weeks) and don't know if the market accepts credit cards from Venezuela yet. I will try...

My guess is that there should be a way to rename files from the adb shell as well. Either that, or install openssh or something on the phone and then just su and rename. It's linux, after all.

About freezing home, besides having already installed another launcher like launcher pro or adw, i guess it should be active before freezing it? To avoid force close or other problems.

Really good idea. I don't know if it's necessary, but always better safe than sorry. I will add a notice to not only have another launcher installed, but also "defaulted".

Fixter

Jun 6, 2009
Durham
Really good idea. I don't know if it's necessary, but always better safe than sorry. I will add a notice to not only have another launcher installed, but also "defaulted".

When you install something like ADW and nothing else. Home = Motoblur is completely deactivated. Its like ADW becomes the default home app. You'll need app switcher to get back to it.

snlu178

Oct 24, 2007
I agree to call out the need to have a new home app installed and defaulted prior.

Moto Home Fix is what switches back to Home 2.2.1 (if it's not frozen).

Also, though Home 2.2.1 is not default when you have a new launcher it still runs in the background draining CPU and RAM. And every bit you save helps in my book.

kgeissler

Dec 21, 2006
Rowlett, TX
I compared running services on my Nexus One (with CM7) with my Atrix and tried disabling services that were on the Atrix, but not on the N1. I have froze the following with no ill effects yet....

I am not running Blur, I am running Launcher Pro.

If anyone recognizes any of these that I should defrost, please let me know.

AdService 1.0
AtCommandService 1.1
blur.res 2.2.1
BrowserMessage 2.0.0
Desk Home 2.2.1
DLNA 0709.69
DlnaSystemService 1.0
DMService 1.0.0
Entertainment Center 1.0
Files 2.2.1
Forest Wallpaper 1.0
FOTA 2.2.1
Help Center 2.2.1
Home 2.2.1
Home Screen Tips 2.2.1
MediaShare 1.0.0
MediaSync 1.0.0
Mobile Desktop 1.0
News 2.2.1
Purchased Media 1.0
Quick Contact 2.2.1
Quick Tutorial 0.0.1
SDMService 1.0
Social Messaging 2.2.1
Social Networking 2.2.1
Social Sharing 2.2.1
Social Status 2.2.1
Sticky Note 2.2.1
SyncML 2.2.1
Task Manager 9.0
Toggle Widgets 2.2.1
Universal Inbox 2.2.1
Voice Commands
VPN Services 2.2.1
Weather 2.2.1
Work Contacts 2.2.1

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Titanium Backup

Can Titanium Backup be placed on the SD card, or does it need to be kept in the main phone memory? Haven't seen this addressed anywhere and I have little experience with apps functioning from SD cards.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE: 3/1/11 @ 23:49

BIGGER COMPREHENSIVE LIST
    +
    A "RECOMMENDED" LIST!

I'm holding off on a "Not Recommended" List for a bit until I get your guys thoughts on what should stay, be added, or be taken off of the recommended list!

PLEASE COMMENT WITH YOUR THOUGHTS!

(And thanks to kgeissler for a bunch of new frozen goods!)

__________________________________________________________________​

You are here because...
    You bought your Atrix and hate your cluttered app drawer, as well as the feeling that your phone has to fight with one hand behind it's back...hell, maybe blindfolded, too.

You want...
    To get rid of as much of the bloat on your phone as possible. You want to de-Motoblur it. You want to de-AT&T it. You want to give it back its other hand, and maybe a small knife (not to mention doing away with the blindfold).

You don't want...
    To modify your phone in a manner that would be harmful. You don't want a brick/paper weight/somehow broken device.

If this is you, keep reading.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________​

First Offs:

> This thread is meant to help, not hurt. That being said, if, after reading this thread and performing some of the procedures detailed within, you do end up damaging your phone, neither I nor any of the others who contributed can be held responsible in any way. By reading this and performing any of the said procedures, you take full responsibility for what might happen to your phone.

> Upon writing this, the Atrix has only been officially released for less than 5 days. Devs are still working to free the bootloader, and thus most users are still only able to perform rudimentary modifications to the phone. Please realize that this thread may become obsolete as developers become more familiar with the device and are able to write all sorts of one-clicks/recovery flashables to remove bloat! This brings us to...

> I will be doing my absolute best to update this as frequently as possible in the case that new methods and/or new dangers arise regarding file modification on our devices. If this thread ever becomes obsolete, it will be noted as such in both the thread title as well as being the first thing in the original post (this).

With all that said, let us continue:

One of the most valuable pieces of information regarding modifying the Atrix's files comes from TeamBlackHat's P3Droid, known on XDA as jimmydafish:

Hello my name is P3Droid,

We (TBH) have a lot of experience in Motorola phones and hacking. This experience dates back to the Razr days.

Here is a word of caution. Do no delete apps from the System partition, I would suggest you only rename them to .bak. When Motorola pushes updates each of the files undergoes a hash check, if the file has been manipulated or is missing the entire update will fail.

Until a system only sbf or similar is released, unless you make a back up with bootstrap and recovery, you will eliminate your ability to take updates moving forward.

In summary: DO NOT DELETE APPS FROM THE SYSTEM PARTITION. This will result in the inability to receive official Motorola updates.

The thread from which the above quote was taken can be found here, and I would highly recommend that every single Atrix owner wishing to do any sort of file manipulation read it before doing anything else. It's only 4 pages, and well worth one's time.

So, how do we go about removing any bloat?

1) Any apps that are NOT in the system partition are safe to modify. Many have reported being able to remove apps by means of the standard Android applications manager. Details on this method can be found in this thread started by Fixter, who says:

They can be removed by the Manage Applications settings. Very simple indeed.

PLEASE NOTE: This method does NOT require root priviliges, and would be a very good place to start for more inexperienced users due to the relative ease and safety it affords. At the same time, it does not allow for access to some of the more deeply embedded apps/files you may wish to modify. This brings us to...

The Freezing Method

First suggested (to my knowledge) by acPIZZA:
    I suggest everyone that is rooted use TITANIUM BACKUP to deal with their bloatware issues. The pro version, which you will need, is only a few bucks and is worth it. TB allows you to 'freeze' bloatware apps, which to my knowledge just blocks it fro the system, but does not delete it. The apps you choose to freeze are also removed from the app tray - so no more clutter. This way when an update rolls around, you can run down the list and simply touch 'thaw' to bring those apps back to recognition. This seems like a much more efficient and easy way to go back and forth, rather than renaming the .apk's.

I apologize if someone already mentioned TB in this thread - I just skimmed quickly.

In summary:
    Use Titanium Backup's "Freeze" feature to deactivate or disable files. This method allows for the safe and long term deactivation of files in order to free up RAM/CPU resources, while allowing users to easily reactivate, or "Thaw"/"Defrost" the files if the need arises (official Motorola updates, requiring a certain functionality given by a file, etc). Note: This does not free up any storage on one's phone. It merely stops a phone process so that it does not consume RAM and/or processing power.

Prerequisites:
    >Root privileges (procedure can be found here; thanks goes to designgears)
    >Titanium Backup (application; can be found in/downloaded from the Android Market)
    Note: The "Freeze" feature of TiBU is only available in the paid version of the app. TiBU Pro only costs $3.99, and is very useful beyond just what is discussed within this thread. (Trust me, I was hesitant to spend any money in the Android Market, but this has saved me countless hours of time and much of my sanity. It is well worth it.)

Procedure: (It's actually pretty simple)
    1. Open Titanium Backup
    2a. If previously unopened, click "Allow" on the Superuser dialog box- this grants TiBU the required root privileges
    2b. If, for whatever reason, you do not grant TiBU superuser permission, don't panic- press the menu button and tap "Reload Application"; this should give you a second shot to give the necessary permission
    2c. Alternatively, you can kill TiBU in a task manager and reopen it, also giving you that second chance
    3. Navigate to the Backup/Restore section by clicking the corresponding little grey bubble at the top. This brings you to a list of all sorts of system/application elements.
    4. From here, it's a simple matter of tapping (not long-clicking) on an element to bring up a dialog box. This box will contain options to, among other things, backup, uninstall, and freeze.

At this point regarding Atrix development,
    YOU ARE TO TOUCH NOTHING BUT "FREEZE"
    ...EVER. (I guess "Back up" is also fine, but that is not relevant).

Note: To Defrost/Thaw an element, simply repeat steps 1-4, instead selecting the Defrost/Thaw option.

ALSO, I personally have found that any changes made by freezing will only take effect after a reboot. Ultimately, even if this isn't the case, I suggest a reboot anyways (just for good measure). I don't believe there's a need to do this after every single time you Freeze an element, just once after you've Frozen all you'd like.

This of course brings us to...

Elements that are safe to Freeze:

Note:
    This list is likely to change as more elements are found to be safe to touch. At the same time, if an element is ever found to cause problems after being Frozen, the list will be updated as soon as possible. Here we go...

The first post containing "Safe-to-Freeze" apps can be found here (Thank you, snlu178). I did not quote this post so as to avoid confusion, though I will be incorporating the list of elements in the linked post into my list. Once again, I owe a big thanks to snlu178 for the risk he took, as well taking the time to list the apps he found safe to Freeze.

The List: (Alphabetized, I believe)

*Disclaimer: Some of these elements correspond to docking/widget functionality. If something appears to be linked to a certain functionality that you need/want, DO NOT TAMPER WITH IT.

COMPREHENSIVE LIST

AdService 1.0
    Alarm & Timer 2.2.1
    AtCommandService 1.1
    AT&T Code Scanner
    AT&T Family Map
    AT&T Navigator
    Blockbuster 0.6
    Blur.res 2.2.1
    BrowserMessage 2.0.0
    Cardock 1.0
    Desk Home 2.2.1
    DLNA 0709.69
    DlnaSystemService 1.0
    DMService 1.0.0
    Entertainment Center 1.0
    Files 2.2.1
    Forest Wallpaper 1.0
    FOTA 2.2.1 (THIS DIRECTLY AFFECTS OFFICIAL MOTOROLA OVER-THE-AIR FIRMWARE UPDATES! NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL!)
    Help Center
    Home 2.2.1 (this is the default Motoblur launcher; as such, have a home replacement already installed and set as the default if you wish to freeze this!)
    Home Screen Tips
    Live TV
    Mediashare 1.0.0
    MediaSync 1.0.0
    Mobile Desktop 1.0
    Motorola Dock Service 1.0
    myAT&T 1.0
    News & Weather 1.3.03 (Android widget, not Motoblur, just FYI)
    News 2.2.1
    NFS Shift 1.1.73
    Purchased Media 1.0
    Quick Contact 2.2.1
    Quick Tutorial 0.0.1
    Quickoffice
    SDMService 1.0
    Social Messaging 2.2.1
    Social Networking 2.2.1
    Social Sharing 2.2.1
    Social Status 2.2.1
    Sticky Note 2.2.1
    Swype
    SyncML 2.2.1
    Task Manager 9.0
    Terminal Emulator (I & others believe this may affect ADB functionality; though safe, freezing this is not necessarily recommended!)
    Toggle Widgets
    Universal Inbox 2.2.1
    VLingo
    Voice Commands
    Weather 2.2.1
    Webtop Connector
    Work Contacts 2.2.1
    YPmobile

RECOMMENDED LIST -----------------------------------> {UNDER EVALUATION |:::::|:::::|:::::| PLEASE COMMENT!}

Alarm & Timer 2.2.1
    AtCommandService 1.1
    AT&T Code Scanner
    AT&T Family Map
    AT&T Navigator
    Blockbuster 0.6
    Entertainment Center 1.0
    Help Center
    Home Screen Tips
    Live TV
    Mediashare 1.0.0
    MediaSync 1.0.0
    myAT&T 1.0
    News 2.2.1
    NFS Shift 1.1.73
    Quick Contact 2.2.1
    Quick Tutorial 0.0.1
    Quickoffice
    Social Messaging 2.2.1
    Social Networking 2.2.1
    Social Sharing 2.2.1
    Social Status 2.2.1
    Sticky Note 2.2.1
    Toggle Widgets
    Universal Inbox 2.2.1
    VLingo
    Voice Commands
    Weather 2.2.1
    YPmobile

Miscellaneous:
    If you happen to SNAFU your phone, as of right now your best bet is this procedure laid out by designgears.

Thanks to:
    designgears
    Getaphixx
    Fixter
    snlu178
    acPIZZA
    franciscojavierleon
    numerous TeamBlackHat members (esp. P3Droid/Jimmydafish, cellzealot)
    our dear forum moderator, Mr. Clown (thanks for the sticky!)
    This is the list that I am running for more than 24hrs, NO FC, any problem so far & very Stable. Used Titanium Backup to frozen. Check notes to find out what is about each one, and froze according. Good luck!

Andorid Live Wallpaper 2.3.4 (I dont use any facy wallpaper :) )
    AT&T FamilyMap 2.0 (Dont pay any dime more to AT&T :) )
    AT&T Navigator 1.7.5 (Dont pay any dime more to AT&T :) )
    Blockbuster 0.6 (Almost closing instead I am using Netflix with out any problem)
    Bookmarks Widget 2.3.4 (I dont use almost any Widget so froze according)
    Books 1.3.4
    Calculator 2.3.4 ( I am using RealCalc instead)
    CarDock 1.0 (No have any dock so far but I used Webtop hack)
    com.authentec.TrueSuiteMobile 7.5.0.46 (I dont use the fingerprint module)
    com.motorola.photowidget 2.3.4 (I dont use almost any Widget so froze according)
    Corporate Syn Authenticator 2.3.4 (Dont use corporate mail, used POP3 and Yahoo mail and now forced to open a gmail account :) )
    Date and Time 2.3.4 (Other widget)
    Desk Home 2.3.4 (Dont have a dock ;))
    DLNA 0709.69 (umm unitl today dont have any unit using DLNA)
    dlnaSystemService 1.0
    Fingeprint Sensor 2.3.4 (I dont used)
    Flick Authenticator 2.3.4 (Authenticators you can frozen if you dont use the app related in this case Flick)
    Forest Wallpaper 1.0 (No fancy Wallpapers)
    FOTA 2.3.4 (If you are using OTA or KP you will not recevied OTA :) so why keeping running)
    Global Unplug 1.0 (umm this is running a messages after your unplug your phone from the wall to disconnect the power transformer, I can bet everyone is picky with this after check the power bill right ;) so I dont need a second wife to remember me to unplug the charger form the wall after using it)
    Help Center 2.3.4 (umm I have XDA for any Help right)
    Home screen tips 1.0 (XDA source of all the tips that I need)
    HTML Viewer 2.3.4 (No need and I think noone needed you have browser so..)
    InPocket 2.3.4 ( I am not using this new option to turn off the cell automatic when is in your pocket, I had bad experience using something similar in the past)
    IPSec VPNs 1.0 (No using VPN's)
    LastFM Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator rule of thumb if you dont use the app in this case "LastFM" safe to frozen)
    LinkdId Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Live TV 1.0 ( I have Hulu hack and Netflix, I dont need gift some dimes to ATT)
    Live Wallpaper Picker 2.3.4 (No using any fancy wallpaper)
    Magic Smoke Wallpaper 2.3.4 (same here)
    Media Share 1.0.0 (No using any media share, the only hub in my house is my daugther xbox)
    MS Exchange Service 2.3.4 (No MS exchange service here ... for corporate user)
    Music Visualization Wallpapers 2.3.4 (No fancy wallpaper using)
    Myspace Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    News & Weather 1.3.04 (No using almost any widget so If you are using one froze according)
    News 2.3.4 (Same here)
    NFS SHift 1.1.98 (Tricky this the first time I used I press the wrong side when I quit the program ATT charge to my bill the software so better to frozen if you dont used Game racing car)
    Orkut Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Phone Portal 2.3.4 (Suck the Phone Portal is the one show up when you connect the cell to the PC, some things work and another dont so suck)
    Photobucket Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Picasa Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Pico TTS 1.0 (I am not using it)
    Quick Tutorial 0.0.1 (Use XDA as Tutorial)
    SIM Toolkit 2.3.4 (Dont used, if the phone has dual sim it will be using)
    Skyrock Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Social Messanging 2.3.4 (Not using I have Facebook apk)
    Social Messanging Service 2.3.4 (Same here)
    Social Networking 2.3.4 (Same here)
    Social Sharing 2.3.4 (Same here)
    Social Status 2.3.4 (Same here, for apk to manage one apk dont seem like smart)
    Sticky Note 2.3.4 (No using widgets like this)
    Sugestion Core Rule Checker Services 2.3.4 (I dont see any used for this)
    Sugestion Poll Scheduller Service 2.3.4 ( I dont see any used for this, trying to get info from use)
    Swype 2.71.76.23150 (I prefer to use normal keyboards)
    Talk 1.3 (umm I have Tango, Skype and Whatsup so No need another one)
    Terminal Emulator 2.3.4 (I have a real Terminal Emulator to log on the Cell so no need another one)
    Toggle Widget 2.3.4 (I dont used, widget drain battery and resource, at the end of the day you dont used to much to do a merit of the battery drain and resource)
    TTS Service 2.3.4 (No using)
    Universal Inbox 2.3.4 (umm I never like it this on IOS)
    Vlingo 2.5.6.2 (No using, my Cell never understand me as my wife ;)
    Voice Commands (No using, my Cell never understand me as my wife ;)
    Voice Readouts 2.2.1 (I still hear ok, but I am a selective deaf :))
    VPN Services 2.3.4 (No using VPN's corporate users)
    Weather 2.3.4 (No using this widget)
    World CLock 1.0 (No using this widget)
    Zoom Mode 1.0.2 (I still have good eyes :))
    Just quick update about:

Corporate Syn Authenticator 2.3.4 (Need to be unfrozen so contacts work properly)

This is the list that I am running for more than 24hrs, NO FC, any problem so far & very Stable. Used Titanium Backup to frozen. Check notes to find out what is about each one, and froze according. Good luck!

Andorid Live Wallpaper 2.3.4 (I dont use any facy wallpaper :) )
    AT&T FamilyMap 2.0 (Dont pay any dime more to AT&T :) )
    AT&T Navigator 1.7.5 (Dont pay any dime more to AT&T :) )
    Blockbuster 0.6 (Almost closing instead I am using Netflix with out any problem)
    Bookmarks Widget 2.3.4 (I dont use almost any Widget so froze according)
    Books 1.3.4
    Calculator 2.3.4 ( I am using RealCalc instead)
    CarDock 1.0 (No have any dock so far but I used Webtop hack)
    com.authentec.TrueSuiteMobile 7.5.0.46 (I dont use the fingerprint module)
    com.motorola.photowidget 2.3.4 (I dont use almost any Widget so froze according)
    Corporate Syn Authenticator 2.3.4 (Dont use corporate mail, used POP3 and Yahoo mail and now forced to open a gmail account :) )
    Date and Time 2.3.4 (Other widget)
    Desk Home 2.3.4 (Dont have a dock ;))
    DLNA 0709.69 (umm unitl today dont have any unit using DLNA)
    dlnaSystemService 1.0
    Fingeprint Sensor 2.3.4 (I dont used)
    Flick Authenticator 2.3.4 (Authenticators you can frozen if you dont use the app related in this case Flick)
    Forest Wallpaper 1.0 (No fancy Wallpapers)
    FOTA 2.3.4 (If you are using OTA or KP you will not recevied OTA :) so why keeping running)
    Global Unplug 1.0 (umm this is running a messages after your unplug your phone from the wall to disconnect the power transformer, I can bet everyone is picky with this after check the power bill right ;) so I dont need a second wife to remember me to unplug the charger form the wall after using it)
    Help Center 2.3.4 (umm I have XDA for any Help right)
    Home screen tips 1.0 (XDA source of all the tips that I need)
    HTML Viewer 2.3.4 (No need and I think noone needed you have browser so..)
    InPocket 2.3.4 ( I am not using this new option to turn off the cell automatic when is in your pocket, I had bad experience using something similar in the past)
    IPSec VPNs 1.0 (No using VPN's)
    LastFM Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator rule of thumb if you dont use the app in this case "LastFM" safe to frozen)
    LinkdId Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Live TV 1.0 ( I have Hulu hack and Netflix, I dont need gift some dimes to ATT)
    Live Wallpaper Picker 2.3.4 (No using any fancy wallpaper)
    Magic Smoke Wallpaper 2.3.4 (same here)
    Media Share 1.0.0 (No using any media share, the only hub in my house is my daugther xbox)
    MS Exchange Service 2.3.4 (No MS exchange service here ... for corporate user)
    Music Visualization Wallpapers 2.3.4 (No fancy wallpaper using)
    Myspace Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    News & Weather 1.3.04 (No using almost any widget so If you are using one froze according)
    News 2.3.4 (Same here)
    NFS SHift 1.1.98 (Tricky this the first time I used I press the wrong side when I quit the program ATT charge to my bill the software so better to frozen if you dont used Game racing car)
    Orkut Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Phone Portal 2.3.4 (Suck the Phone Portal is the one show up when you connect the cell to the PC, some things work and another dont so suck)
    Photobucket Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Picasa Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Pico TTS 1.0 (I am not using it)
    Quick Tutorial 0.0.1 (Use XDA as Tutorial)
    SIM Toolkit 2.3.4 (Dont used, if the phone has dual sim it will be using)
    Skyrock Authenticator 2.3.4 (Another Authenticator)
    Social Messanging 2.3.4 (Not using I have Facebook apk)
    Social Messanging Service 2.3.4 (Same here)
    Social Networking 2.3.4 (Same here)
    Social Sharing 2.3.4 (Same here)
    Social Status 2.3.4 (Same here, for apk to manage one apk dont seem like smart)
    Sticky Note 2.3.4 (No using widgets like this)
    Sugestion Core Rule Checker Services 2.3.4 (I dont see any used for this)
    Sugestion Poll Scheduller Service 2.3.4 ( I dont see any used for this, trying to get info from use)
    Swype 2.71.76.23150 (I prefer to use normal keyboards)
    Talk 1.3 (umm I have Tango, Skype and Whatsup so No need another one)
    Terminal Emulator 2.3.4 (I have a real Terminal Emulator to log on the Cell so no need another one)
    Toggle Widget 2.3.4 (I dont used, widget drain battery and resource, at the end of the day you dont used to much to do a merit of the battery drain and resource)
    TTS Service 2.3.4 (No using)
    Universal Inbox 2.3.4 (umm I never like it this on IOS)
    Vlingo 2.5.6.2 (No using, my Cell never understand me as my wife ;)
    Voice Commands (No using, my Cell never understand me as my wife ;)
    Voice Readouts 2.2.1 (I still hear ok, but I am a selective deaf :))
    VPN Services 2.3.4 (No using VPN's corporate users)
    Weather 2.3.4 (No using this widget)
    World CLock 1.0 (No using this widget)
    Zoom Mode 1.0.2 (I still have good eyes :))
    I froze so much, I'm essentially deblurred.

Code:
    Accounts Storage
    Admin Nofitier
    AdService
    Android Live Wallpapers
    AdCommandService
    Bluetooth Share
    BluetoothDun
    blur.res
    Bookmarks Widget
    Browser (I use Dolphin)
    BrowserMessage
    Calendar Service
    CarDock
    Certificate Installer
    Certificate Manager
    Certificate Manager Content Provider
    ChargeOnlyMode
    Chooser
    com.motorola.* (Yes, all of them)
    Compass Calibrator
    Contacts Sync
    ContactsData
    Corporate Sync Authenticator
    Data Collection
    Data Collector Service
    DataCollectorProvider
    Data and Time
    Desk Home
    Device Statistics Services
    DLNA
    DlnaSystemService
    DMService
    Downloads
    DRM Protected Content Storage
    Email (I use the Gmail app)
    Email Authenticator
    Entertainment Center
    entitlement (required to register your fingerprints but can be frozen afterwards)
    Facebook Authenticator (I use Friendcaster to sync FB contacts)
    Fake Blur Xmpp
    Files (I use Root Explorer)
    Flickr Authenticator
    Forest Wallpaper
    FOTA
    Global Unplug
    Google Backup Transport (I use Titanium Backup)
    Help Center
    Home screen tips
    HSTcmd
    HTML Viewer
    InPocket
    IPSec VPNs
    Kpi Logger Service
    LastFM Authenticator
    LinkedIn Authenticator
    Live Wallpaper Picker
    LocationProxyDmPlugin
    Magic Smoke Wallpapers
    Manage SIM card
    Market Feedback Agent
    Master Clear Error Reporter
    Media audio effects
    Media Share
    MediaSync
    Modem Fastdomancy Monitor Service
    Motorola Dock Service
    Motorola Indexing Service
    Motorola Services
    Motorola Storage Monitor
    MS Exchange Service
    Multi-touch keyboard (I use Swype)
    Music (I use the Music app from the Market but it doesn't have lock-screen controls so I might switch to Winamp)
    Music Visualization Wallpapers
    Myspace Authenticator
    News
    OMA Client Provisioning
    OMA Download
    Orientation Notifier
    Orkut Authenticator
    Photobucket Authenticator
    Policy Manager Service
    Preset
    Print to Retail
    Purchased Media
    Quick Contact
    Quick Tutorial
    QuickSms
    Rich Clipboard
    Rich Location
    Setup data encryption
    SIM Contacts
    SIM Toolkit
    Skyrock Authenticator
    Social Messaging
    Social Messaging Service
    Social Networking
    Social Sharing
    Social Status
    Sound Recorder
    Sticky note
    Suggestions
    Suggestions Core RuleChecker Service
    Suggestions Poll Scheduler Service
    System Portal
    Tasks (I use GTasks)
    Terminal Emulator
    Text Messaging (I use Google Voice)
    Toggle Widgets (I use the power control widget)
    Twitter Authenticator
    Universal Inbox
    Updater
    Upgrader
    Video Player (I use MX Video Player)
    Vlingo
    Voice Commands
    Voice Readouts
    VPN Services
    Weather (I use the stock News & Weather app/widget)
    Webtop
    Webtop Connector
    Work Contacts
    World Clock
    Yahoo Contacts
    Yahoo! Mail Authenticator
    YouTube (I just go to m.youtube.com)
    Youtube Authenticator
    Zoom Mode

I use the Calendar widget, Motorola Phone Portal, Pico TTS (for Navigation), and Voice Search so I kept those. The only reason I keep the Gallery is because it's required for viewing pics within the Camera app as well as editing. Otherwise I'd freeze it and use something like QuickPic instead.
    Being someone who hated having bloatware of any kind on my phone, it was a god send to actually discover this thread, and I basically tried freezing all the apps listed in the first post. (besides the FOTA process of cos) But while in the midst of doing so, I realise that some of the process named above is actually part of the required process that must be left unfrozen in order to still have a working webtop enviroment.(which imo is the most kick ass feature of the phone.)

After much experimentation, through a painstaking number of trials and error, I've found out the exact services that must be left running in order to still have have webtop enabled.

1. com.motorola.android.extdispservice 1.0.0
    2. MediaShare 1.0.0
    3. Mobile Desktop 1.0
    4. Motorola Dock Service 1.0
    5. Webtop Connector 1.0 (duh)

I found that if anyone of the 5 services were as actually frozen or removed, you simply will not be able to get a working webtop.

Hope this helps and if this has alrdy been posted before, than I apologise.
    Just thought it would be good to share this.