• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to decrypt microSD after factory reset? I have all the family memories in the Camera folder!

Search This thread

mohrestan

Jul 20, 2021
Hello

I made a fatal mistake

I encrypted my mobile SD four years ago.
The phone had a problem a few days ago and I did a factory reset without decoding. The decryption key is no longer active in the settings!
My camera folder contains over 5,000 photos and videos up to 40 GB in size. These are family memories. I recorded all the moments of my son growing up with this mobile phone.
Now I see the files, they are the right size, but because they are encrypted, they no longer run on my phone and laptop.

My phone is Samsung Note 8 and I encrypted the memory with the same phone.

what's the solution?

1e4b9495-4c13-46ef-8fed-cbcebf404539.jpg

Kenora_I

Jun 12, 2021
Ireland
Redmi 7A
Samsung Galaxy A21s
  1. On a PC: Copy (the encrypted and unreadable) contents of the sd card from the phone to your harddrive
  2. On the phone: Settings -> Storage -> Sd Card -> Format sd card (this erases all the data on the sd card but don't worry you have a copy on the PC)
  3. On the phone: Settings -> Security -> Encrypt sd Card (should be real fast since it's an empty sd card)
  4. On the PC: Copy the contents of the sd card onto the phone
  5. On the phone: Settings -> Security -> Decrypt sd card (edit: this may take a while depending on how much data was on the card)
The password of your device before encryption should be exact from before.
THIS IS JUST A THEORY hope it works ;)

mohrestan

Jul 20, 2021
  1. On a PC: Copy (the encrypted and unreadable) contents of the sd card from the phone to your harddrive
  2. On the phone: Settings -> Storage -> Sd Card -> Format sd card (this erases all the data on the sd card but don't worry you have a copy on the PC)
  3. On the phone: Settings -> Security -> Encrypt sd Card (should be real fast since it's an empty sd card)
  4. On the PC: Copy the contents of the sd card onto the phone
  5. On the phone: Settings -> Security -> Decrypt sd card (edit: this may take a while depending on how much data was on the card)
The password of your device before encryption should be exact from before.
THIS IS JUST A THEORY hope it works ;)

Hi

I tried this method with another memory, with a similar problem, but it did not work.
It seems that this method was done by one person in 2016, but now it is not effective

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Meh... NEVER encrypt data drives. It's more likely you'll be the one locked out rather than a stranger.
The SD card is great to use as a data drive but always back it up redundantly to at least 2 hdds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Verify the copies are readable and complete. You can never have too many backup drives...

Sorry but I doubt this will end well. Data that's not redundantly backed up will get lost... eventually. Been there, done that.

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
Meh... NEVER encrypt data drives. It's more likely you'll be the one locked out rather than a stranger.
The SD card is great to use as a data drive but always back it up redundantly to at least 2 hdds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Verify the copies are readable and complete. You can never have too many backup drives...

Sorry but I doubt this will end well. Data that's not redundantly backed up will get lost... eventually. Been there, done that.
It's well known that Google offers up to 100GB / 200GB / 2TB storage space to backup data: photos, etc.pp. Of course you have to pay for this service.

You make use of this storage space / manage it by means of the Google One app.

SMcC2

Feb 22, 2014
Texas
OnePlus 6T
No, connect both the phone & USB flash drive to a PC, then just transfer phone data to the flash drive.
On Windows you can copy with the Robocopy command to keep all the timestamps and metadata.
Last time I tried I couldn't robocopy with my device connected via file transfer mode. Something about the file path not being recognized. Do you have a fix for that?

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Last time I tried I couldn't robocopy with my device connected via file transfer mode. Something about the file path not being recognized. Do you have a fix for that?
I'd try experimenting to see if you have the file path in the right format. If that's not it, it's probably a security setting on your phone or PC. Security might only allow the phone data to be copied to the PC.

adrscu

I think the phone does not mount to a standard drive letter in Windows, hence it won't be accessible with tools like Robocopy. It mounts as an external device which in its turn somehow encapsulates the storage you're trying to access.

SMcC2

Feb 22, 2014
Texas
OnePlus 6T
I think the phone does not mount to a standard drive letter in Windows, hence it won't be accessible with tools like Robocopy. It mounts as an external device which in its turn somehow encapsulates the storage you're trying to access.
I agree with this. Someone just mentioned Robocopy earlier. I just wanted to be sure I hadn't messed up when trying it in the past.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It shows as a drive and it can be accessed; data can be imported and exported. Cut/copy works fine.

I think we drifted from the original topic of encryption. If the phone doesn't have the encryption key it can't access the files... and neither can the PC.

Kenora_I

Jun 12, 2021
Ireland
Redmi 7A
Samsung Galaxy A21s
It's well known that Google offers up to 100GB / 200GB / 2TB storage space to backup data: photos, etc.pp. Of course you have to pay for this service.

Actually i dont pay since im a student, i get unlimited storage xd.

I just piggyback using a shared drive to my school acc which gives me unlimited storage in my personal email

Reactions: Austinredstoner

Kenora_I

Jun 12, 2021
Ireland
Redmi 7A
Samsung Galaxy A21s
It shows as a drive and it can be accessed; data can be imported and exported. Cut/copy works fine.

I think we drifted from the original topic of encryption. If the phone doesn't have the encryption key it can't access the files... and neither can the PC.
The encryption key is lost then.
if it was possible to decrypt it then the use of decrypting is useless in the first place

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @mohrestan

The Factory Reset process gets rid of the encryption key ( AES type ) stored in Android's /system. As a result, the device has no way it can decrypt the files and, therefore, makes data recovery extremely difficult if not even impossible.

The encryption key is lost then.
    if it was possible to decrypt it then the use of decrypting is useless in the first place

@mohrestan

Do NOT longer waste your time with trying to recover the encrypted data: As long as don't have the encryption key you can't decrypt them. Point.