Question How to disable Automatic system updates?

Search This thread

SteveMKII

May 3, 2021
Does anyone know how to disable auto system updates? I turned off auto updates in developer options but my phone has previously installed security patches automatically anyways. I don't want to upgrade to Android 12 right now as I've heard OnePlus botched things, so I want to hold off and don't want it auto updating on me. I don't know why it doesn't respect the setting in developer options

1670194765478.png

ScarletWizard

Aug 31, 2022
Moto G 5G
Welcome to the android Dev scene. From your question I extrapolate that you are on your first android device.

Thank you for taking apple out to Pasteur.

Class is in session

Android 101 - Free The Android

Goto about phone goto build number press it 5 times. Now developer mode is available in the setting menu under system or advance. The location varies by OEM.

Explorer developer mode. You see option to disable automatic update.

SteveMKII

May 3, 2021
Welcome to the android Dev scene. From your question I extrapolate that you are on your first android device.

Class is in session

Goto about phone goto build number press it 5 times. Now developer mode is available in the setting menu under system or advance. The location varies by OEM.

No, I've owned Android for ten years and rooted/modded them all (except this one since TWRP isn't available yet). As I said in my OP I already turned automatic updates off in developer settings. OnePlus isn't respecting that, so I'm wondering if there's another way to stop it or if anyone else has had this issue.

• Haha
Reactions: ScarletWizard

ScarletWizard

Aug 31, 2022
Moto G 5G
No, I've owned Android for ten years and rooted/modded them all (except this one since TWRP isn't available yet). As I said in my OP I already turned automatic updates off in developer settings. OnePlus isn't respecting that, so I'm wondering if there's another way to stop it or if anyone else has had this issue.
I haven't heard of anyone experiencing the issue you are suffering from.

I personally like software and security updates. I never turn off auto update. The reason being stageFright exploit. It can ruin your life.

SteveMKII

May 3, 2021
I haven't heard of anyone experiencing the issue you are suffering from.

I personally like software and security updates. I never turn off auto update. The reason being stageFright exploit. It can ruin your life.
I despise auto updates. My phone forced the update to Android 12 on me last night despite me disabling auto updates and I have had several issues already, it's a perfect example of why auto updates are horrible. My RCS chat was not sending, my haptic feedback is now even worse than it was before on notifications (almost unnoticeable now), I had random notification sounds but no notifications come in, I had a message come in that I didn't get a push notification for until several hours after the timestamp, the launcher has issues where the only way to close it is to dismiss from the very top of the screen (I could swipe down from anywhere to close it before), I have a persistent VPN notification that the system refuses to let me dismiss. All of this in the first day since being forced to update. In addition this garbage material you has been shoved down my throat, my GApps now all have hideous colors based on my wallpaper and can't be made to look half decent, and my hidden apps (Which are hidden because I don't use them often, not for security) now require me to enter a code in my dialer instead of swiping right quickly in the launcher (making them a pain to access when I do want them). Who knows what other issues I'll run into. I had zero issues on Android 11 since I bought the phone and on the first day of being forced to update I ran into several bugs and just plain terrible UI/UX issues. This is exactly why I don't auto update.

I always read the changelog and if it's open source I look at the GitHub commits to see what changes were made before updating apps, and I back up my current version before updating. It's incredibly common for me to find changes that I don't like or some new bug that gets introduced. I have some apps I update frequently because their changelog brings actual good features and UI designs that are bug free, and some I almost never update because changes were made I don't want. If this is how OnePlus does business it will not only be my first phone from them, but my last. Even my Samsung (Which is known for being anti developer) Tablet respects my decision not to update. What software I run on MY device is my business, not some corporate busybody who thinks he knows better than me and probably has zero actual coding experience.

With respect to Security updates, there is absolutely no reason to include them with other system and UI updates. And even security updates shouldn't be force updated.

Sorry for the rant, I absolutely hate forced updates.

ScarletWizard

Aug 31, 2022
Moto G 5G
I despise auto updates. My phone forced the update to Android 12 on me last night despite me disabling auto updates and I have had several issues already, it's a perfect example of why auto updates are horrible. My RCS chat was not sending, my haptic feedback is now even worse than it was before on notifications (almost unnoticeable now), I had random notification sounds but no notifications come in, I had a message come in that I didn't get a push notification for until several hours after the timestamp, the launcher has issues where the only way to close it is to dismiss from the very top of the screen (I could swipe down from anywhere to close it before), I have a persistent VPN notification that the system refuses to let me dismiss. All of this in the first day since being forced to update. In addition this garbage material you has been shoved down my throat, my GApps now all have hideous colors based on my wallpaper and can't be made to look half decent, and my hidden apps (Which are hidden because I don't use them often, not for security) now require me to enter a code in my dialer instead of swiping right quickly in the launcher (making them a pain to access when I do want them). Who knows what other issues I'll run into. I had zero issues on Android 11 since I bought the phone and on the first day of being forced to update I ran into several bugs and just plain terrible UI/UX issues. This is exactly why I don't auto update.

I always read the changelog and if it's open source I look at the GitHub commits to see what changes were made before updating apps, and I back up my current version before updating. It's incredibly common for me to find changes that I don't like or some new bug that gets introduced. I have some apps I update frequently because their changelog brings actual good features and UI designs that are bug free, and some I almost never update because changes were made I don't want. If this is how OnePlus does business it will not only be my first phone from them, but my last. Even my Samsung (Which is known for being anti developer) Tablet respects my decision not to update. What software I run on MY device is my business, not some corporate busybody who thinks he knows better than me and probably has zero actual coding experience.

With respect to Security updates, there is absolutely no reason to include them with other system and UI updates. And even security updates shouldn't be force updated.

Sorry for the rant, I absolutely hate forced updates.
Which phone you have? Are you sure it updates to A12. Because I wish my n20 will update to a12

949ing

Nov 20, 2014
You pretty much disabled them by unlocking the bootloader. Sorry if no one else told you, psyckonaut talked about this week's ago

SteveMKII

May 3, 2021
You pretty much disabled them by unlocking the bootloader. Sorry if no one else told you, psyckonaut talked about this week's ago
Huh? I didn't unlock my bootloader, what gave you the impression I did?. There's no point until TWRP is available. Why would I void my warranty when I can't flash TWRP?

You'll be on a different schedule than those of us that bought it unlocked. Carrier phones can be slower to roll out updates than unlocked phones
Yeah, agreed - I bought mine unlocked from OnePlus website.

Well lucky you... I've had several issues right out of the gate with A12.

Sorry to hear that. I had several bugs in A11 that were fixed by the update to A12 (camera app had crashed, a 3rd party app would sometimes freeze and restart).

ScarletWizard

Aug 31, 2022
Moto G 5G
I have come to a theory. That a major ota update will be pushed out to the unlock variety of devices as test run and to irokn out the bugs and then the carriers will push out the update to its customers.

SteveMKII

May 3, 2021
Yeah, agreed - I bought mine unlocked from OnePlus website.

Sorry to hear that. I had several bugs in A11 that were fixed by the update to A12 (camera app had crashed, a 3rd party app would sometimes freeze and restart).

Hopefully you don't experience any of the issues I did. I didn't have any issues on A11 with the camera app or any 3rd party apps, although I installed a GCam port shortly after I got the phone.

I have come to a theory. That a major ota update will be pushed out to the unlock variety of devices as test run and to irokn out the bugs and then the carriers will push out the update to its customers.

There's probably some merit to that in general. Carriers probably want to let the manufacturers work out most of the bugs then they can push the update to their devices. I haven't had a carrier phone since before smartphones existed so I don't really know what their update schedule is like.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Class is in session