• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to disable Boot sound, no custom rom

Search This thread

spoonerdee

Aug 21, 2010
Sorry if this has been covered, I Searched and couldn't find anything on it other than custom roms.

All you need for this is to have your phone rooted and use the program Root explorer or similar.

Open root explorer or similar go to: system/media/audio/ui directory

Then at the top of root explorer click the button that says Mount R/W to change it to Mount R/O

Then rename the file poweron.ogg to poweron.ogg.bak and enjoy silent boots.

You can do the same to any other sounds you want to disable. Or if you are adventurous you can put your own custom sounds in there.

As noted below, it's not such a bad idea to backup files before you tinker with them. Simple making a copy and stashing is somewhere takes a few seconds and could save you some trouble.

I'm not liable if you screw up your phone, do at your own risk.

Last edited:

stu5797

Aug 4, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
spoonerdee do you know where the charging notification is when you plug your phone in the charger? It is disabled in the blazer rom and I would like it back so when I connect the phone to the charger it makes a sound.

spoonerdee

Aug 21, 2010
Yea you ll be fine, you did it right. Backup so if u delete something u want. u can put it back :)

This is why I recommend renaming it vs removing/deleting it. Safer that way.

But as you said, no harm in making a copy of the file for a backup, you never know

spoonerdee do you know where the charging notification is when you plug your phone in the charger? It is disabled in the blazer rom and I would like it back so when I connect the phone to the charger it makes a sound.

It's in the same folder as the other: system/media/audio/ui directory

the file is called Charger_Connection.ogg

Last edited:
Reactions: stu5797

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry if this has been covered, I Searched and couldn't find anything on it other than custom roms.

All you need for this is to have your phone rooted and use the program Root explorer or similar.

Open root explorer or similar go to: system/media/audio/ui directory

Then at the top of root explorer click the button that says Mount R/W to change it to Mount R/O

Then rename the file poweron.ogg to poweron.ogg.bak and enjoy silent boots.

You can do the same to any other sounds you want to disable. Or if you are adventurous you can put your own custom sounds in there.

As noted below, it's not such a bad idea to backup files before you tinker with them. Simple making a copy and stashing is somewhere takes a few seconds and could save you some trouble.

I'm not liable if you screw up your phone, do at your own risk.
    Yea you ll be fine, you did it right. Backup so if u delete something u want. u can put it back :)

This is why I recommend renaming it vs removing/deleting it. Safer that way.

But as you said, no harm in making a copy of the file for a backup, you never know

It's in the same folder as the other: system/media/audio/ui directory

the file is called Charger_Connection.ogg