HOW TO: Disable Camera Shutter Sound (Root)

Search This thread

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
I was getting tired of hearing the camera shutter sound when taking photos, so I dug around the file system and found two audio files that are the shutter sound. I renamed these, rebooted, and everything is working great. Let me know if this does or doesn't work for you!

Before you get started, you need to be rooted for this method.

Step 1:
Use a root-capable file browser of your choice (I prefer SolidExplorer) and navigate to /system/media/audio/ui

Step 2:
Locate cam_snap_0.ogg and camera.click.ogg and rename the file extensions to .OLD, as seen below.

Step 3:
Reboot, then test

G

GuestX0011

what does the .OLD do to the file? just out of curiosity.
It onyl changes the name. It does not affect the contents of the file in anyway. It will fail a HASH check though so revert it back in order to do an update to another OS if you are stock.

Spookymyo

This was before Xposed came out for the G4, not everyone wants to use Xposed as it hurts battery life, and some people prefer the simple approach.
I understand. But xposed has such a negligible impact on battery as I doesn't matter. And the tweaksbox is as simple as it gets; one button disables the sound and can turn it back on.

DAXX

Apr 14, 2014
Los Angeles
OnePlus 8 Pro
I was getting tired of hearing the camera shutter sound when taking photos, so I dug around the file system and found two audio files that are the shutter sound. I renamed these, rebooted, and everything is working great. Let me know if this does or doesn't work for you!

Step 1:
Use a root-capable file browser of your choice (I prefer SolidExplorer) and navigate to /system/media/audio/ui

Step 2:
Locate cam_snap_0.ogg and camera.click.ogg and rename the file extensions to .OLD, as seen below.

Step 3:
Reboot, then test

What about the video recording and stop sounds?

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
thanks for this! for some reason Tasker doesn't recognize when the Camera is started so the Silent method is weak... and while G4 TweaksBox would be nice, I'm also having issues getting the unlocker to work. Emailed dev and am waiting for a response...

EDIT: looks like renaming doesn't work for me... interesting...

EDIT2: created silent versions of the two files and now... we have silence!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:
    Reboot, then test
    Alternatively, (non-root) you can set your phone to vibrate or silent mode and it wont make the shutter sound.
    You still have your G4 or are you just sticking around to be helpful?
    Just hanging around, I have a 6P now.