• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question How to Disable OS Updates?

Search This thread

chetqwerty

Jan 10, 2009
Totally satisfied with 11.2.9.9 and wish to disable updates for good-ish. I did this on my Pixel 3XL and needed to jump through some hoops to stop the insistent nag pop up but got it done with help from XDA good guys. Like the Pixel, the notification does not allow to be silenced or disabled so need to dig deeper. I don't want to delete or uninstall the updater service but am open to freezing it if that won't cause any other issues. I'm rooted of course. Help would be appreciated, Thanks

Reactions: Macadamn

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Nexus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
I usually freeze the update service app in between updates to avoid the nagging while I'm waiting on a full zip to be released, or if it's just an inconvenient time for me to mess with it. It has never caused any issues other than the obvious: if you try to select System Update from Settings while frozen it will force close. Just unfreeze the update service when you're ready to update.

That said, I'm in agreement with other folks who say not taking security updates on a rooted device "ever" is generally a bad idea. New kernel exploits are discovered all the time, and plenty of core system packages have the potential for vulnerabilities.

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
I usually freeze the update service app in between updates to avoid the nagging while I'm waiting on a full zip to be released, or if it's just an inconvenient time for me to mess with it. It has never caused any issues other than the obvious: if you try to select System Update from Settings while frozen it will force close. Just unfreeze the update service when you're ready to update.

That said, I'm in agreement with other folks who say not taking security updates on a rooted device "ever" is generally a bad idea. New kernel exploits are discovered all the time, and plenty of core system packages have the potential for vulnerabilities.

Thanks.
I would keep my phone updated but the ColorOS 12 update pretty much ruined the perfect experience. I'll update in a few months. Hopefully, they'll fix all the issues by then.

chetqwerty

Jan 10, 2009
"I usually freeze the update service app in between updates to avoid the nagging while I'm waiting on a full zip to be released, "
Yes thanks for the reminder this is possible. I went ahead and froze com.oneplus.opbackup. My setup is safely locked in until I decide it needs to be changed!

Maybe some folks from this thread will see my thread lol and rethink the early adopter or as I like to call it, guinea pig strategy.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Just use a package disabler, a ADB edit or if your rooted you have even more apps to block OTA updates.
Security in real life isn't an issue with Android 9 or higher unless you do something stupid. This stock N10+ has been running on Android 9 for over 2 years with no updates.
The current OS load is over 1.5 yo, still fast, stable with minimum maintenance. I take a few precautions especially with app installations and downloads. Android 9 and higher are reasonably secure even if Google claims otherwise.

So enjoy your current platform for as long as you want. Don't let updates break your phone... they sure as hell can and do.
Redundantly backup all critical data to at least 2 hdds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Time stagger backups to them incrementally as an added precaution. Have a plan in place for password resets and bank accounts (which are insured from fraud anyway).

In the case of malware if you can't completely isolate and delete it within an hour or two, go full nuke and reload. It takes far less time to reload then it does to attempt to optimize and adapt to a new OS version.
Fools leave in fear, pragmatists live within reality.

Reactions: chetqwerty

chetqwerty

Jan 10, 2009
@blackhawk - Yeah I really like App Manager does all you say plus a whole lot more.
@giaur

Both you guys, EXACTLY! Ran Android 9 for 3 years on my rooted Pixel 3XL, no updates past 9/19 no issues no regrets.

Reactions: blackhawk

chetqwerty

Jan 10, 2009
11.2.10.10 is safe. But I dont update to A12 soon.

You can disable the updates very easy.

1st: Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Top right the gear -> Disable Auto download over Wifi

2nd: Settings -> System -> Dev. Options -> Disable "Automatic system updates"

See the thing is this doesn't stop the random often reoccurring pop-up nag that prompts to download the update. The fear there is the potential for an accidental tap. I don't want the giant update file hanging out on my phone ready to spring into gear at the slightest wrong move on my part. Maybe the tap would be interpreted by the phone as an overide to the 'disable' option selected in Dev Options. Don't know, don't want to find out.

See the thing is this doesn't stop the random often reoccurring pop-up nag that prompts to download the update. The fear there is the potential for an accidental tap. I don't want the giant update file hanging out on my phone ready to spring into gear at the slightest wrong move on my part. Maybe the tap would be interpreted by the phone as an overide to the 'disable' option selected in Dev Options. Don't know, don't want to find out.
Use service disabler from playstore to disable system updater(requires root)

Reactions: terlynn4

chetqwerty

Jan 10, 2009
Yes thanks for the reminder this is possible. I went ahead and froze com.oneplus.opbackup. My setup is safely locked in until I decide it needs to be changed!
Yes goofy to quote myself but wanted to post an update that sadly this only worked for about a month then the nags returned even though the com.oneplus.opbackup service was frozen. Getting the system update nags every other day after they stopped for a month. Gotta figure this out, I'm sure that sinister google has their hand in this someway! 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: galaxys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @blackhawk - Yeah I really like App Manager does all you say plus a whole lot more.
    @giaur

Both you guys, EXACTLY! Ran Android 9 for 3 years on my rooted Pixel 3XL, no updates past 9/19 no issues no regrets.
    11.2.10.10 is safe. But I dont update to A12 soon.

You can disable the updates very easy.

1st: Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Top right the gear -> Disable Auto download over Wifi

2nd: Settings -> System -> Dev. Options -> Disable "Automatic system updates"
    Use service disabler from playstore to disable system updater(requires root)
    Yes goofy to quote myself but wanted to post an update that sadly this only worked for about a month then the nags returned even though the com.oneplus.opbackup service was frozen. Getting the system update nags every other day after they stopped for a month. Gotta figure this out, I'm sure that sinister google has their hand in this someway! 🤪

Thanks.
    I would keep my phone updated but the ColorOS 12 update pretty much ruined the perfect experience. I'll update in a few months. Hopefully, they'll fix all the issues by then.

Don't ever update to Android 12 then. Remember, you have been warned. No matter what, stay on Oxygen 11
    Totally satisfied with 11.2.9.9 and wish to disable updates for good-ish. I did this on my Pixel 3XL and needed to jump through some hoops to stop the insistent nag pop up but got it done with help from XDA good guys. Like the Pixel, the notification does not allow to be silenced or disabled so need to dig deeper. I don't want to delete or uninstall the updater service but am open to freezing it if that won't cause any other issues. I'm rooted of course. Help would be appreciated, Thanks
    With prevalent betaware updates makes sense for some to stay stable for once AFWall+