How to disable OTA lollipop without wakelock

Search This thread

Vlad_z

Mar 25, 2011
If you decided to stick a bit longer with KK and lollipop OTA notification is bothering you - this is how you can disable it without wakelocking your phone.

Get something which disable service receivers/listeners (not just service like Disable Service app does). If you disable SystemUpdate service - this will wakelock your phone - thanks to Google wonderful design, which become "better and better".

But instead you disable 3 receivers for that service:

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver - this will run on boot completed.

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver - this will check for OTA on connectivity change.

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver - this will check for OTA when your phone "handles" the secret code.

So, by doing this, SystemUpdateService will never have a chance to get OTA and you phone will still sleep like a baby.

Now, what apps will allow to disable receivers? Well, I compiled my own Autostarts. It's old but still job can be done.

You can find something in play store or I can upload my autostarts if you want me to.

Anyway, in summary do not disable GooglePlayServices.SystemUpdate service just its 3 receivers.

EDIT: Here, this is autostarts I've compiled long time ago but still can be run on KK and of cause ads free. Well, you have to "hunt down" those 3 receivers. Just open up one by one and read if this is one of those 3 and then disable it.

Attachments

• autostarts.apk
    245.9 KB · Views: 6,440
Last edited:

red13dotnet

Oct 18, 2014
Durham, NC
red13dotnet.github.io
If you decided to stick a bit longer with KK and lollipop OTA notification is bothering you - this is how you can disable it without wakelocking your phone.

Get something which disable service receivers/listeners (not just service like Disable Service app does). If you disable SystemUpdate service - this will wakelock your phone - thanks to Google wonderful design, which become "better and better".

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver - this will run on boot competed.

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver - this will check for OTA on connectivity change.

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver - this will check for OTA when your phone "handles" the secret code.

So, by doing this, SystemUpdateService will never have a chance to get OTA and you phone will still sleep like a baby.

Now, what apps will allow to disable receivers? Well, I compiled my own Autostarts. It's old but still job can be done.

You can find something in play store or I can upload my autostarts if you want me to.

Anyway, in summary do not disable GooglePlayServices.SystemUpdate service just its 3 receivers.

I'd be interested in you uploading your compiled copy.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012

I would like to receive your Autostarts.

I found several autostart apps on Play. Which is the one to install and use?

spaniard

Apr 10, 2004
Madrid
www.nevasport.com
com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver - this will run on boot completed.

Hi, if it can help, I've "hunted" these receivers in:
After startup
Connectivity changed
Secret code entered

justiiin

Jul 12, 2010
After startup
Connectivity changed
Secret code entered
Disabling these 3 receivers in all those sections you mention, solves the wakelock issue?
Have you tested this throughout a full day?

Last time I tried this, I didn't disable all of them in all of those section.
My phone was awake 100% of the day...

justiiin

Jul 12, 2010
I found an easy method :)
I had already downloaded the one from the Play store, so I dont know about the APK in the OP..
But there is a... Yes... Search button, lol.
If you look for "SystemUpdate", it'll automatically look up all those receivers, and you're good to go.

Its working like a charm for me.
My 4.4.4 stock image is no longer checking for OTA or being kept awake.

Finally got my KitKat ART flying Nexus5 back.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

EDIT: Here, this is autostarts I've compiled long time ago but still can be run on KK and of cause ads free. Well, you have to "hunt down" those 3 receivers. Just open up one by one and read if this is one of those 3 and then disable it.
    For those who need my autostarts.apk, I just added it to the first post.
    how I figure this out with rom toolbox? thank you

Use the auto start manager. I think all the systemupdateservice receivers are under Google play services. Just disable them.

I6PjPUU.jpg
    Thanks Vlad_z and spaniard. These have to be disabled in both Play Services and Framework when they appear in each?

Just in Play Services.

After startup
    Connectivity changed
    Secret code entered
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone