[How-to] Disable OTA updates on Stock + Rooted ROMs

Search This thread

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
1. Download FOTAKill.apk and copy to your Phone/SD
2. Use a root explorer (such as ES Explorer) to copy the file to /system/app
3. If the update already downloaded, delete it from /cache
4. reboot

*Credit for the apk goes to the CM team and or whoever creates the gapps packages!

Alternate method if you have a custom recovery *E4GT ONLY*:
1. Download the Disable.OTA.Updates.zip file and flash in CWM (this will install fotakill and clear cach for you)

*Thanks to tdunham for alternate method!

Attachments

• FOTAKill.apk
    22.5 KB · Views: 5,838
  • Disable.OTA.Updates.zip
    164.2 KB · Views: 4,523
Last edited:

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
Screenshot 1: FOTAKill.apk in the /system/app folder
Screenshot 2/3: Checking for updates on EL29 shows I am up to date

Been running my phone this way for a few days and have had no update prompts since I followed the steps in the OP.
BTW, EL29 gives CRAZY good battery life after getting use to the high drain on FF18/AOSP.

Last edited:

Moritzio

Nov 19, 2008
My system/app is a read only folder, how do I change the permission so I can paste the apk to the app folder? :confused:

You need to be rooted and use a file manager (I use File Manager from the market) that supports root write access. Then set write access on the root and system folder from within the file manager settings. Then you can copy the files to the /system/app folder

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
Fotakill did not work for me. OTA kept popping up. There is a zip file here on xda that you flash and finally fixed it. No more OTA.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Glad you found a solution that works for you.

I will say my method has been applied for over a week with no update prompts so it seems to be a successful solution for me and others.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: alexd51

Ohm66

Jan 2, 2008
@montechristo1:
Which zip do you mean? I am also looking for a working solution for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3113..
Thanks Ohm66

GFotakill did not work for me. OTA kept popping up. There is a zip file here on xda that you flash and finally fixed it. No more OTA

grandmastem

Oct 24, 2011
Can someone explain how this works exactly? What is it doing to stop the notifications? Will this prevent me from being bugged to update to FH13 from FF18? -Grand

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
Can someone explain how this works exactly? What is it doing to stop the notifications? Will this prevent me from being bugged to update to FH13 from FF18? -Grand

The apk was part of all gapps packages used on aosp roms such as CM7. However I noticed it was removed in the ics gapps packages, so I don't know if it will work on ics roms. It just blocks the ota update process keeping you from ever seeing an update prompt.

mujeebrehman

Jan 16, 2011
What would the name of the folder be called in /cache? I am not sure if the update was downloaded or not. TIA.

Once you have copied the apk to the phone /SD all you have to do is

1. Power down your device.
2. Press power and volume up key simultaneously for few seconds. (this will boot your phone in stock recovery)
3. Now using volume keys navigate to the option wipe cache partition and select it by pressing the home key or the power button on your device then reboot the phone.

These steps will clear the cache for your phone and if the ota was downloaded it will be removed from the phone.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Once your follow the steps below it will hopefully not bother you with any more ota's And if you have downloaded it already, clearing the cache will remove the downloaded ota from the phone. These steps will make sure you do not get any more notifications for the same.

4. reboot

2. Press power and volume up key simultaneously for few seconds. (this will boot your phone in stock recovery)
3. Now using volume key navigate to the option wipe cache partition and select it by pressing the home key or the power button on your device then reboot the phone.

These steps will clear the cache for your phone and if the ota was downloaded it will be removed from the phone.

Reactions: GalaxySmokes

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009

3. Now using volume key navigate to the option wipe cache partition and select it by pressing the home key or the power button on your device then reboot the phone.

This would definitely work, however what I don't know is if you run the risk of triggering the /emmc brick by wiping cache with the stock recovery. I feel better about having folks use a root explorer, navigate to /cache, and deleting the update file from there.
The file under /cache will look something like: "bbe3997e3067.SPH-D710_update_EL29_to_FF18.zip" (Example of the FF18 OTA file name) and will be around 200MB's in size.

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
I am getting no access with either Root Explorer or ES File Explorer. Under Root Explorer it is telling me that my file system is Read Only. And it just says "FOTAKill.apk cannot be moved" under ES File Explorer.

I am rooted, running Calkulins E4GT ROM.

There is probably a setting you need to turn on to enable root + read/write access.
In ES File explorer its:
1. menu key > settings > (scroll to the bottom of the list) > check "Root Explorer" > check "Mount File System"

2. You will need to "Grant" root access when it asks you.

3. Now you can paste the file into /system/app

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
guys it does work and not for nothing but I posted this quite some time ago as a flashable zip file. I have used it on my stock based roms for quite some time and I have never had an issue as well as others. You can find the flashable zip here. Now you have to remember to clear cache(s) prior to flashing. This was also done back before the problem error of ET4g so please use a safe recovery.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21117723&postcount=6

ShoePhone

Jan 30, 2012
guys it does work and not for nothing but I posted this quite some time ago as a flashable zip file. I have used it on my stock based roms for quite some time and I have never had an issue as well as others. You can find the flashable zip here. Now you have to remember to clear cache(s) prior to flashing. This was also done back before the problem error of ET4g so please use a safe recovery.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21117723&postcount=6

Quick question :

After booting into Recovery, and before running the FOTAKILL.zip, do I wipe cache or davlik cache or both?

Reactions: GalaxySmokes

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4. reboot

*Credit for the apk goes to the CM team and or whoever creates the gapps packages!

Alternate method if you have a custom recovery *E4GT ONLY*:
    1. Download the Disable.OTA.Updates.zip file and flash in CWM (this will install fotakill and clear cach for you)

*Thanks to tdunham for alternate method!
    Fotakill flashable in CWM recovery.
    The install script will also clear the cache for you before it installs fotakill. Rocket, please add this to the OP so people can find it easily if it helps. :)
    Thanks - TD
    Screenshot 1: FOTAKill.apk in the /system/app folder
    Screenshot 2/3: Checking for updates on EL29 shows I am up to date

Been running my phone this way for a few days and have had no update prompts since I followed the steps in the OP.
    BTW, EL29 gives CRAZY good battery life after getting use to the high drain on FF18/AOSP.

This would definitely work, however what I don't know is if you run the risk of triggering the /emmc brick by wiping cache with the stock recovery. I feel better about having folks use a root explorer, navigate to /cache, and deleting the update file from there.
    The file under /cache will look something like: "bbe3997e3067.SPH-D710_update_EL29_to_FF18.zip" (Example of the FF18 OTA file name) and will be around 200MB's in size.
    Quick question :

After booting into Recovery, and before running the FOTAKILL.zip, do I wipe cache or davlik cache or both?

You can wipe /cache to remove the downloaded OTA update file. Doesn't matter before or after FOTAKill.

No need to wipe /dalvik but you can if you want - cache's are like temporary internet files - you can clear them whenever you want and they will just rebuild.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone