[ How-To ] Disable Search Button

Search This thread

Calkulin

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21+
For those that don't use it for anything and want to disable it cause you accidently hit it 10 times a day, flash the disable zip. If you want to enable it again, just flash the default zip

Last edited:

newbie2369

Dec 9, 2006
Nice work! Do you think you could make it so i can hit the volume up button to bring the phone out of suspend instead of hitting the power button?

RavenII

Dec 4, 2006
Both of the .kl files are the same...just giving ya a heads up before someone restores the default and doesn't have their search button back...but nice find. Thanks!

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
I tried making it an end button...but no go...maybe I missed something...

Its probably not built into the Sense build on the device. It used to be, but idk anymore since it isn't required by Android 2.0+

Also, to the people that want it to do something else:

See my post here. My guide is from way back in the G1 days, but all the same things apply here. Just change file names. An interesting use would be to change the search button to a camera button ;)

Or see Decad3nce's wonderful writeup on the functions you can assign here. For the CDMA Hero, again just use your judgement. Use the right files :cool:

Also, my app Search2Play will soon be making it's way to the Evo now that we have usermode system partition access. Check it out here

datafirm

Jun 11, 2010
Strange. I love the search button and use it all the time to text, call, launch apps etc.

Glad this is helpful to all the rest! :)

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
For those that don't use it for anything and want to disable it cause you accidently hit it 10 times a day, flash the disable zip. If you want to enable it again, just flash the default zip
this looks sweet!
calkulin, would you be okay with me adding this to the online kitchen im slowly building for the EVO?
i'll link it back to this thread and credit your name.

joeavery2

Nov 9, 2007
If your looking to use the volume down you can just open the keymap~.kl file included in the zip with wordpad and swap the volume down and power or how ever you like. Just realize that the cap buttons won't work in place of the hardware buttons.
I posted a fix that swapped the volume down and the power button.
Nice fix tho.

newbie2369

Dec 9, 2006
If your looking to use the volume down you can just open the keymap~.kl file included in the zip with wordpad and swap the volume down and power or how ever you like. Just realize that the cap buttons won't work in place of the hardware buttons.
I posted a fix that swapped the volume down and the power button.
Nice fix tho.

Is it possible to get the volume to do the wake feature while also keeping the volume buttons working like normal?