Question How to distinguish the Tencent ROG 5 Chinese Version?

Search This thread

Manteam111

Apr 30, 2021
Yes, it came with the US charger. The seller was Suntrail_USA.
This is incredibly helpful information! Last few questions:

What carrier are you using? AT&T or T-Mobile?
Do you have access to 5G?
Do you happen to know what bands your model has? (If you aren't sure and actually feel like going through the trouble of finding out, you can use LTE Discovery to find out. No need to do so if you don't want to.)

I'm on AT&T. My model is ASUS_I005DA. It was listed as the International version. Came with a UK charger brick. It says "ROG" on the back and doesn't say "Tencent Games." After the most recent update, I gained access to VoLTE. However, my model is only connecting to LTE via bands 2 and 4. This lines up with the bands listed by the seller. I would like to know if ASUS_I005DC has more bands that are compatible with US GSM networks. 5G would be incredible.

jenwashere

Apr 30, 2021

Do you happen to know what bands your model has? (If you aren't sure and actually feel like going through the trouble of finding out, you can use LTE Discovery to find out. No need to do so if you don't want to.)

I'm on AT&T. My model is ASUS_I005DA. It was listed as the International version. Came with a UK charger brick. It says "ROG" on the back and doesn't say "Tencent Games." After the most recent update, I gained access to VoLTE. However, my model is only connecting to LTE via bands 2 and 4. This lines up with the bands listed by the seller. I would like to know if ASUS_I005DC has more bands that are compatible with US GSM networks. 5G would be incredible.

I'm on T-mobile. Yes, I have 5G.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ps000000

jenwashere

Apr 30, 2021
This is it. This is the model I think I need. How long did it take for the phone to get to you? Looks like it ships from Taiwan.
It took three days because customs decided to hold it for an entire day, where it went through several different customs checks. I have no idea what they were doing with it because the tracking just shows generic "customs status updated" and "on hold" messages. When it got to me, it did not look like it had been open. The shrink wrap was still in place.

I got the 16GB ram/256GB storage black phone. It came in the non-rectangular black box with the Akira animations. Something weird about my phone is that it has the back of the regular/non-pro model, but the aero active cooler was in the case. I had been under the impression that the aero active cooler only comes with the pro and ultimate models, so I'm a bit confused about that.

Manteam111

Apr 30, 2021
It took three days because customs decided to hold it for an entire day, where it went through several different customs checks. I have no idea what they were doing with it because the tracking just shows generic "customs status updated" and "on hold" messages. When it got to me, it did not look like it had been open. The shrink wrap was still in place.

I got the 16GB ram/256GB storage black phone. It came in the non-rectangular black box with the Akira animations. Something weird about my phone is that it has the back of the regular/non-pro model, but the aero active cooler was in the case. I had been under the impression that the aero active cooler only comes with the pro and ultimate models, so I'm a bit confused about that.
3 days is insanely fast! And that is a bit strange. I'll message the seller to confirm the version number being sold is still ASUS_I005DC. I'll update this forum with whatever information I manage to gather.

Manteam111

Apr 30, 2021

Update:

The seller got back to me mighty quick. Here's their message:
"Hi,
We sell TW version, it's same as international version, model name: Asus I005DC
you can find attached photo for your reference!"

ROG Phone 5 DC.jpg

I also reached out to the sellers at NGPStoreUSA ask about their model. Here's their message:

"Thank you for contacting NGP Store. This device has the version number ASUS_I005DC. It supports the following:

3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 1700

4G bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 48

5G bands 1, 3, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA"

It looks like outside of the Aerocooler, box shape, charger, and model number, our phones may support the same bands. I checked the supported bands for ASUS_I005DA from my eBay seller before buying my phone and they're exactly the same as the ones I was just provided. It looks like the difference in cellular performance may have to do with my network provider. I'm on AT&T. For 5G, they support bands n5 and n260. T-Mobile has them beat. They support n41, n71, n260, and n261. Been considering switching off of my old capped data family plan for a while now, and my wife wants to do the same for her old family plan. This may be the push we need to switch to T-Mobile. I'm going to go to my local shop when they open this morning, and I'm going to have them test the 5G compatibility for my area. If it works, we're swapping. I'll provide an update as soon as I can.

Manteam111

Apr 30, 2021
Update:

The seller got back to me mighty quick. Here's their message:
"Hi,
We sell TW version, it's same as international version, model name: Asus I005DC
you can find attached photo for your reference!"

View attachment 5301311

I also reached out to the sellers at NGPStoreUSA ask about their model. Here's their message:

"Thank you for contacting NGP Store. This device has the version number ASUS_I005DC. It supports the following:

3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 1700

4G bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 48

5G bands 1, 3, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA"

It looks like outside of the Aerocooler, box shape, charger, and model number, our phones may support the same bands. I checked the supported bands for ASUS_I005DA from my eBay seller before buying my phone and they're exactly the same as the ones I was just provided. It looks like the difference in cellular performance may have to do with my network provider. I'm on AT&T. For 5G, they support bands n5 and n260. T-Mobile has them beat. They support n41, n71, n260, and n261. Been considering switching off of my old capped data family plan for a while now, and my wife wants to do the same for her old family plan. This may be the push we need to switch to T-Mobile. I'm going to go to my local shop when they open this morning, and I'm going to have them test the 5G compatibility for my area. If it works, we're swapping. I'll provide an update as soon as I can.
Update:

Went to T-Mobile with my ASUS_I005DA. Tried out a couple SIMs. My AT&T SIM gave me access to 4G and VoLTE. The T-Mobile SIMs gave me access to 4G+ and VoLTE. Unlimited data and hotspot access are a huge step up from my current AT&T plan, so I'm going to swap. However, I may hold off from ordering the ASUS_I005DC because I'm not entirely certain I'd get access to 5G in my area. I may just need to hold out for the US release.

vvt4994

Nov 17, 2016
Update:

Went to T-Mobile with my ASUS_I005DA. Tried out a couple SIMs. My AT&T SIM gave me access to 4G and VoLTE. The T-Mobile SIMs gave me access to 4G+ and VoLTE. Unlimited data and hotspot access are a huge step up from my current AT&T plan, so I'm going to swap. However, I may hold off from ordering the ASUS_I005DC because I'm not entirely certain I'd get access to 5G in my area. I may just need to hold out for the US release.
So you are swaping from ATT to Tmobile ?

And also which seller did you get for the global version? May I know ?

Manteam111

Apr 30, 2021
So you are swaping from ATT to Tmobile ?

And also which seller did you get for the global version? May I know ?
Swapped to T-mobile on 5/6/21. Signal is so much better. No missed texts or dropped calls. Consistent LTE or 4G+. I ordered from this eBay seller. I received the ASUS_I005DA. Make sure you check the item description for the supported bands.

vvt4994

Nov 17, 2016
Swapped to T-mobile on 5/6/21. Signal is so much better. No missed texts or dropped calls. Consistent LTE or 4G+. I ordered from this eBay seller. I received the ASUS_I005DA. Make sure you check the item description for the supported bands.
Damn, 1000$, i cant afford it. Does that selller have 8Gb RAM version ? Or have you seen any seller has it ?

Also, how is the trigger ? Do you feel something when you press it ?

vvt4994

Nov 17, 2016
Sorry for a dumb question but did you research all the gaming phone on market now ? Or you just a Rog fan and buy it? I am thinking about getting Red magic 6 pro instead but I dont now if Red magic is better or at least the same performance as Rog 5
I'm not sure about his other offerings. You could certainly ask! Seller was nice. Triggers have haptics that sort of mimic a button press.

Manteam111

Apr 30, 2021
Sorry for a dumb question but did you research all the gaming phone on market now ? Or you just a Rog fan and buy it? I am thinking about getting Red magic 6 pro instead but I dont now if Red magic is better or at least the same performance as Rog 5
I did look into the phones and even the Black Shark 4. I preferred the form factor of the ROG 5.

vvt4994

Nov 17, 2016
I did look into the phones and even the Black Shark 4. I preferred the form factor of the ROG 5.
There is a seller lists version 1, version 2, version 3. Is version 1 a I005DA same as you got ? Can you check the 4g and 5g band for me ?

And I005DA-B-C means for international version, how about the tencent one ? Do you know ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210510-201028.jpg
    Screenshot_20210510-201028.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 51

Manteam111

Apr 30, 2021
There is a seller lists version 1, version 2, version 3. Is version 1 a I005DA same as you got ? Can you check the 4g and 5g band for me ?

And I005DA-B-C means for international version, how about the tencent one ? Do you know ?
Not sure which seller you're referring to who sells "version 1, version 2, version 3." Also, it looks like some Tencent versions also read as ASUS_I005DA. This model/version process has been en rather difficult for me. I really wish we had a solid date for the official US release. I've included a screenshot of my eBay seller's item description below. It includes band information:

Screenshot_20210510-212649087.jpg

vvt4994

Nov 17, 2016
Not sure which seller you're referring to who sells "version 1, version 2, version 3." Also, it looks like some Tencent versions also read as ASUS_I005DA. This model/version process has been en rather difficult for me. I really wish we had a solid date for the official US release. I've included a screenshot of my eBay seller's item description below. It includes band information:

View attachment 5305671
Based on your screenshot, looks like yours is Tencent version. Does your phone have tencent logo on the back ?

vvt4994

Nov 17, 2016
I dont trust what I have read on the internet unless I can check it before i buy, that was why I asked you to check on your phone.

Also looks like version A supports most of the US band, but B and C. Can you check on your box if it says the name like this picture ? 1A is version A, it also has 1B, 1C.
Screenshot_20210511-070647__01.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    North American Model Numbers are as follows:

Rog 5 Pro/Ultimate ASUS_I005D
    Rog 5 REGULAR ASUS_I005DC
    Does anyone know what version (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h) the Tencent ROG 5 is? I rushed to purchase the phone (hasn't arrived yet) and then read conflicting articles on band frequency support.
    My rural area only supports 2, 12, 66 and 71 (t-mobile) bands. Says on the Asus site that some versions of the phone support these bands but I'm guessing the Chinese version doesn't.
    See full list here:

Was trying to look up if a firmware update would open all bands up but haven't found specific word on that.
    Thanks in advanced

I'm on T-mobile. Yes, I have 5G.

2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg