[HOW-TO][DIY] Depron/Polystyrol QI charging dock below 10$/€

Search This thread

Maxr1998

Recognized Developer
Apr 15, 2013
Augsburg
maxr1998.de
Hi guys,
I bought myself a QI charging board for my Nexus 4 a few days ago, and decided to build a dock out of the Depron I normally use for RC planes. Now I want to share my build-process to you, as well as the blueprints I created and used.
If you want to build one, too, you need the following parts/tools:
  • 1x A4 sheet of 3mm Depron
  • 1x A4 sheet of 6mm Depron (or another 3mm if you don't get 6mm)
  • a SHARP cutter knife
  • UHU® Por Styropor-glue or similar glue
  • my attached blueprint as PDF and dxf for LibreCAD
  • and of course, a QI board, e.g. Amazon.de | Amazon.com
eTqs2a4m.jpg

After you printed the pages of attached PDF to an A4 paper, you can softly glue the first page onto the Depron sheet with some sort of spray glue, I used 3M SprayMount for it.
Wait with the second page, for now.
zEbUfWdl.jpg

Then cut out the parts with the knife, be careful not to hurt yourself! The knife should be very sharp that the Depron gets cut cleanly, and doesn't rip.
Don't cut out the parts marked red in the blueprint, they should only be slit slightly. After you finished one part, you can safely remove the paper from it, use the knife to pull it away. Put away all parts except the ones with the red mark. Use the knife to remove a layer of about 1mm inside the red circles, look at the picture for a template.
HsanMUCl.jpg
YSLNo55l.jpg

You do the same at the position where we later store the cable, look again at the picture for a template.
Remove the coil from the board with a soldering iron, as the cable is too short currently. Solder the coil onto piece of cable then, don't connect the cable to the board by now!
24nqqJHl.jpg
fWuFE6Sl.jpg

Glueing time!
Begin with the parts which hold the QI coil: first put the coil into the backplate, then glue the front plate on it. My glue required me to put glue on both sides, wait 10 mins, and then stick them together.
dsnbxEwl.jpg

While the backplate dries, glue the two triangles to the long rectangular, this will later keep the phone from sliding to the front/hold the phone at the charging plate.
4N0MfgUl.jpg
6Ttj0rel.jpg

After everything has dried, glue the front part to the backplate.
GOYguB1l.jpg

Glue the triangle to the backplate like this:
XXQfmNul.jpg
tQ6z6Pal.jpg

Now take one of the bottom plates, and cut a hole for the cable. I marked the position with a pencil, I suggest you doing the same. Glue the bottom plate to the other parts.
4NW3MWAl.jpg
QDzJm84l.jpg
br7RbZBl.jpg
mYyfjD0l.jpg

Now it's time for the second page of my PDF:
This page should either be glued to an 6mm Depron sheet, you then only need to cut out one of the parts, or you glue it to a sheet of 3mm Depron, and cut out both parts, which then will be glued together.
Glue the just created part on the remaining bottom plate from the first sheet, and lay the circuit board into it.
qEunGL0l.jpg
8FyO0Ubl.jpg

Cut the cable from the coil to a suitable length and solder it to the board. Be very careful while soldering, Depron melts easily, also make sure the cables don't get to hot! Then, you can glue the bottom case and the plate together, and you're basically finished!
cpVl5e1l.jpg
tWohcall.jpg

In the end you can apply some finishing touches, like smoothening the borders/edges where you glued pieces together. You can of course also paint the dock in any color you like, I will maybe paint mine with a black acrylic dye later..
Result:
KrIvCkVl.jpg

I hope you liked my little How-To, if you have any suggestions or ideas, feel free to comment.

//View all images: http://imgur.com/a/LJB6b

Last edited:

ttheodorou

Apr 7, 2010
first of all, very nice charger. nice work and thank you for sharing.
now i have two questions.
1) how much time does it take to charge and how much ampers does that charger output?
2)does the charger circuit overheat in the base?

thank you in advance

Last edited:

Maxr1998

Recognized Developer
Apr 15, 2013
Augsburg
maxr1998.de
first of all, very nice charger. nice work and thank you for sharing.
now i have two questions.
1) how much time does it take to charge and how much ampers does that charger output?
2)does the charger circuit overheat in the base?

thank you in advance

Well, I charged the device from 20% to 100% this morning, and it took about 2½ hours (probably less) to charge, I didn't look on the clock though.. Ampere says about 600mA with a 2A ZTE charger connected to the board, I cannot use the Nexus 4 charger (Got an US version).
Overheating was my biggest fear, but it actually stays absolutely cool. When well positioned (like on the dock) it stays cool, far away from melting the Depron, while when I in before just laid the phone onto the coil outside the dock, it got pretty hot.

Ah, and next time, please don't quote the whole OP. Maybe even edit your post now.

Sent using my nexus⁴ running Euphoria 1.0 with Xposed and hells-Core B69-t4 L
Bitcoin donation address

Last edited:

ttheodorou

Apr 7, 2010
Well, I charged the device from 20% to 100% this morning, and it took about 2½ hours (probably less) to charge, I didn't look on the clock though.. Ampere says about 600mA with a 2A ZTE charger connected to the board, I cannot use the Nexus 4 charger (Got an US version).
Overheating was my biggest fear, but it actually stays absolutely cool. When well positioned (like on the dock) it stays cool, far away from melting the Depron, while when I in before just laid the phone onto the coil outside the dock, it got pretty hot.

Ah, and next time, please don't quote the whole OP. Maybe even edit your post now.

Bitcoin donation address

force of habbit the quote. thanks for your answer. i will probably try to built this when i get my hands on the parts!! thanks again

Reactions: Maxr1998

Maxr1998

Recognized Developer
Apr 15, 2013
Augsburg
maxr1998.de
Quick status update: I found out that the triangle stabilizing the charging pad isn't that robust, so I suggest either using a 6mm Depron for it or even two 6mm Depron triangles at the left and the right edge..

Bitcoin donation address

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,
    I bought myself a QI charging board for my Nexus 4 a few days ago, and decided to build a dock out of the Depron I normally use for RC planes. Now I want to share my build-process to you, as well as the blueprints I created and used.
    If you want to build one, too, you need the following parts/tools:
    • 1x A4 sheet of 3mm Depron
    • 1x A4 sheet of 6mm Depron (or another 3mm if you don't get 6mm)
    • a SHARP cutter knife
    • UHU® Por Styropor-glue or similar glue
    • my attached blueprint as PDF and dxf for LibreCAD
    • and of course, a QI board, e.g. Amazon.de | Amazon.com
    eTqs2a4m.jpg

After you printed the pages of attached PDF to an A4 paper, you can softly glue the first page onto the Depron sheet with some sort of spray glue, I used 3M SprayMount for it.
    Wait with the second page, for now.
    zEbUfWdl.jpg

Then cut out the parts with the knife, be careful not to hurt yourself! The knife should be very sharp that the Depron gets cut cleanly, and doesn't rip.
    Don't cut out the parts marked red in the blueprint, they should only be slit slightly. After you finished one part, you can safely remove the paper from it, use the knife to pull it away. Put away all parts except the ones with the red mark. Use the knife to remove a layer of about 1mm inside the red circles, look at the picture for a template.
    HsanMUCl.jpg
    YSLNo55l.jpg

You do the same at the position where we later store the cable, look again at the picture for a template.
    Remove the coil from the board with a soldering iron, as the cable is too short currently. Solder the coil onto piece of cable then, don't connect the cable to the board by now!
    24nqqJHl.jpg
    fWuFE6Sl.jpg

Glueing time!
    Begin with the parts which hold the QI coil: first put the coil into the backplate, then glue the front plate on it. My glue required me to put glue on both sides, wait 10 mins, and then stick them together.
    dsnbxEwl.jpg

While the backplate dries, glue the two triangles to the long rectangular, this will later keep the phone from sliding to the front/hold the phone at the charging plate.
    4N0MfgUl.jpg
    6Ttj0rel.jpg

After everything has dried, glue the front part to the backplate.
    GOYguB1l.jpg

Glue the triangle to the backplate like this:
    XXQfmNul.jpg
    tQ6z6Pal.jpg

Now take one of the bottom plates, and cut a hole for the cable. I marked the position with a pencil, I suggest you doing the same. Glue the bottom plate to the other parts.
    4NW3MWAl.jpg
    QDzJm84l.jpg
    br7RbZBl.jpg
    mYyfjD0l.jpg

Now it's time for the second page of my PDF:
    This page should either be glued to an 6mm Depron sheet, you then only need to cut out one of the parts, or you glue it to a sheet of 3mm Depron, and cut out both parts, which then will be glued together.
    Glue the just created part on the remaining bottom plate from the first sheet, and lay the circuit board into it.
    qEunGL0l.jpg
    8FyO0Ubl.jpg

Cut the cable from the coil to a suitable length and solder it to the board. Be very careful while soldering, Depron melts easily, also make sure the cables don't get to hot! Then, you can glue the bottom case and the plate together, and you're basically finished!
    cpVl5e1l.jpg
    tWohcall.jpg

In the end you can apply some finishing touches, like smoothening the borders/edges where you glued pieces together. You can of course also paint the dock in any color you like, I will maybe paint mine with a black acrylic dye later..
    Result:
    KrIvCkVl.jpg

I hope you liked my little How-To, if you have any suggestions or ideas, feel free to comment.

//View all images: http://imgur.com/a/LJB6b
    I am gonna try this.

Thanks

Bitcoin donation address

force of habbit the quote. thanks for your answer. i will probably try to built this when i get my hands on the parts!! thanks again
    Looks incredibly great!

Definitely giving this a go when i have the time!:D
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone