• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[How To] Downgrade 2.2 To 2.1

Search This thread

iB4STiD

Nov 29, 2008
somewhere
infamousdevelopment.com
Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere, but after my experience I figured it might be useful to someone. If it's been posted already ignore this and move on with your day/night :)

1. flash sbf
2. phone will go in the boot loop of death, thats fine lol.. when rsdlite says 100 percent pull the battery
3. put the battery back in, hold down the home button plus the power button till you see the moto logo followed by the triangle
4. hit search button, your now in recovery
5. do a factory restore
6. once complete reboot phone
7. thank god and swear you wont flash your phone ever again (ofcourse only to do it in a day or so after you have calmed down)

rsdlite and sbf can be found in this thread CLICK

Last edited:

pjsockett

Nov 29, 2007
If you made a nandroid backup of 2.1 couldn't you just restore that? I'm pretty sure you can. I remember doing it with the Moto Droid.

Do not restore a 2. 1 nandroid in 2. 2. The update changes the bootloader and recovery versions which aren't part of the backup. The phone will just hang at the MOTO logo. I learned this the hard way. You have to use the sbf. You can then apply your nandroid to get everything back.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

iB4STiD

Nov 29, 2008
somewhere
infamousdevelopment.com
Could you explain?

I am holding off on switching to 2.2, always do to let everyone else find the bugs.

What was your experience?

what i meant by my experience was downgrading 2.2 to 2.1, My g/f has the droid x, and i am the one to root or mod her phone for her. She wanted to try out froyo and liked the rom alot. there are little bugs i noticed

1. odd little animation hiccup when scrolling home screens
2. lag in gallery
3. what seemed like market delay (but the market has been slow lately, same thing on my vibrant and g1)

but this is a test build not a "final rom"

Like i said downgrading the phone is a little different than other android phones Ive used and i thought this post may help someone out. Im the type of person who wont mod something unless i know i can get back to where i started and with this sbf and "how to" you wont have to worry about that.

iB4STiD

Nov 29, 2008
somewhere
infamousdevelopment.com
Do not restore a 2. 1 nandroid in 2. 2. The update changes the bootloader and recovery versions which aren't part of the backup. The phone will just hang at the MOTO logo. I learned this the hard way. You have to use the sbf. You can then apply your nandroid to get everything back.

also i believe it updates the radio and kernel.. thanks pj for explaining that

kdkinc

Jul 27, 2009
Inverness, Florida
If I wanted to go to 2.1 ,don't see why...at the moment.
Before I do a SBF would it be ok to to do a data wipe and a partition wipe in recovery mode then do the SBF bootrecovery deal???

Thank You

Last edited:

drewlamo1

Apr 14, 2010
after you upgrade to 2.2 koush has a new DroidXBootstrap.apk out

go back to his website and DL it and reinstall then rerun bootstrap.

after that rom manager can do backups or recoveries.

sucks you all get bootloop with sbf, ive done it twice now and has worked fine

keeps all my apps and stuff

goodluck

taypotts

Mar 28, 2009
twitter.com

I'm kinda confused what you mean? I did a nandroid backup of 2.1 with the latest bootstrap and clockworld.

I just remember using a nandroid on my girl's moto droid and I went from 2.2 all the way back to 2.0.1.

eighty1

Apr 8, 2009
Atlanta
when trying to sbf on my Mac I get this -bash: ./sbf_flash: Permission denied? Any suggestions I have been asking for 2 days now hopefully someone can help. Thanks

pjsockett

Nov 29, 2007
I'm kinda confused what you mean? I did a nandroid backup of 2.1 with the latest bootstrap and clockworld.

I just remember using a nandroid on my girl's moto droid and I went from 2.2 all the way back to 2.0.1.

I also did the same from my Eris. The major difference is that the recovery on those devices were completely replaced not just patched. When you restore a 2.1 nandroid from a 2.2 droid x the android 3e recovery is not replaced. When the system tries to boot it sees that as an invalid recovery image and won't boot, it just hangs at the moto logo forever. When you upgarde to 2.2 on a Droid or an Eris your still using clockwork recovery or amon ra's recovery and not upgrading to the android 3e system recovery. Maybe it was just a fluke that it didn't work for me but it makes sense as to why it would fail, otherwise we would be able to have a full custom recovery.

o0gamerbear0o

Jun 30, 2010
i cant get my phone to flash. i have done this 2 before with my droid x on 2.1 but now that i am on 2.2 every time i try to use RSDlite, i connect my phone and select my SBF but the START button will not light up so i cannot proceed. any thoughts.. im running windows 7 64 and i have all the drivers working for my phone.

Nov 29, 2007
Oklahoma City
failed sbf flash

Hey guys, i got an error in RSD that says "Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Phone[0000]: Phone is not compatible with muli-interface super-file. (0x703B); phone connected

Any ideas, i'm really new to android stuff, been using WM forever.

Thanks for the help