• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to downgrade Android 11 to 10

Search This thread

Gordster

Jan 18, 2018
I unfortunately decided to upgrade my Moto G Power 2020 to Android 11 when the update was available and have had many issues most of which is that it is now very slow and battery drain is much higher. Have tried the many suggestions online to help, but none have worked. I found that Android 10 was good and stable. My question is, how can I downgrade my Moto G Power back to Android 10 easily? Can it be done with Moto's Rescue and Smart Assistant? This rescue utility seems to only want to keep the device on Android 11. Please provide step by step instructions how to do this. Thanks.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
I unfortunately decided to upgrade my Moto G Power 2020 to Android 11 when the update was available and have had many issues most of which is that it is now very slow and battery drain is much higher. Have tried the many suggestions online to help, but none have worked. I found that Android 10 was good and stable. My question is, how can I downgrade my Moto G Power back to Android 10 easily? Can it be done with Moto's Rescue and Smart Assistant? This rescue utility seems to only want to keep the device on Android 11. Please provide step by step instructions how to do this. Thanks.
Downgrading the android version with Moto firmware is always a risk.
If you downgrade you need to disable updates, OTA updates could brick the device.

First Unlock the bootloader

Once the bootloader is unlocked, find your
Software Channel, it will be like, Retail, RetUS, Verizon, MetroPCS...

You can find your firmware here

download. and Unzip it

Check if your device uses fastbootd

Flash option 1
Find the flashfile.xml in the firmware folder
and use the online flashfile converter to get the flash commands
add the fastboot reboot fastboot commands if you have a fasbootd device.

Flash Option 2
Install LMSA
use the rescue option to download the current firmware for your device
move the LMSA firmware to a different folder
rename the Android 10 firmware folder to the same name as LMSA firmware.
Move that folder to the LMSA download folder
Use the rescue option to flash renamed firmware.

There is no guarantee that either method will work, but it should.

On the phone
Toggle off "install updates" option in Dev Options

Gordster

Jan 18, 2018
If you downgrade you need to disable updates, OTA updates could brick the device.

download. and Unzip it

Flash option 1

Flash Option 2
Install LMSA

On the phone

Thank you sd_shadow. I appreciate your very detailed response and answer. I will try your methods and hopefully be able to return to Android 10. Android 11 seems to currently have a lot of bugs at least with the Moto G Power phone. :) Wish I had stayed on Android 10.

Gordster

Jan 18, 2018

download. and Unzip it

Flash option 1

Flash Option 2
Install LMSA

On the phone

Thanks a lot sd_shadow

I tried Flash Option 2 using LMSA. Replaced all the Android 11 ROM files in the default download directory folder with official Android 10 ROM files, and then used the rescue option to flash the Android 10 files to the Moto g Power. Everything worked perfectly. I now have Android 10 back on my phone. I keep getting the notification that there is an Android 11 update available but just have to ignore this. Thanks again for your help.

Gord

darko454

Jul 6, 2010
FLORIDA
HEY im trying to flash stock rom using LMSA manually but a popup says cannot match current firmware ...
Is there somthing i can do to select and flash a downloaded firmware for lolinet?
thanks

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
HEY im trying to flash stock rom using LMSA manually but a popup says cannot match current firmware ...
Is there somthing i can do to select and flash a downloaded firmware for lolinet?
thanks
Seems that lmsa doesn't work for some software channels, or if the baseband and the channel don't match.
What does getvar all say?
Code:
fastboot getvar all

JackDHopper

Aug 1, 2021
Curious.
I managed to downgrade, but can't re-lock the bootloader on Android 10 or else it throws this error and will not boot:
IMG_20210801_223203163.jpg

However, when I reflashed Android 11 and re-locked the bootloader, it boots just fine, without any warnings.
Something, the bootloader itself maybe, must be stuck on 11 and won't let me relock the bootloader when 10 is flashed.

Since I need the bootloader locked so I can pass Playstore security, I guess I'm stuck on Android 11 :\

Reactions: TiTiB

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Curious.
I managed to downgrade, but can't re-lock the bootloader on Android 10 or else it throws this error and will not boot:View attachment 5375851

However, when I reflashed Android 11 and re-locked the bootloader, it boots just fine, without any warnings.
Something, the bootloader itself maybe, must be stuck on 11 and won't let me relock the bootloader when 10 is flashed.

Since I need the bootloader locked so I can pass Playstore security, I guess I'm stuck on Android 11 :\
Magisk Hide should be able to hide the bootloader status

JackDHopper

Aug 1, 2021
Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess. I was afraid of doing this whole thing because I'm your typical Problem User who tends to make things worse. Might as well go for root now that I've voided my warranty (not that I cared anyway).

Flashed Android 10 and Magisk got me past playstore security. Everything's working as intended now.
I'm quite surprised at how easy it was, since I had read that Google patched MagiskHide at hardware level sometime ago.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, sd_shadow.

Reactions: TiTiB and sd_shadow

TaZeR369

Aug 28, 2016
Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess. I was afraid of doing this whole thing because I'm your typical Problem User who tends to make things worse. Might as well go for root now that I've voided my warranty (not that I cared anyway).

Flashed Android 10 and Magisk got me past playstore security. Everything's working as intended now.
I'm quite surprised at how easy it was, since I had read that Google patched MagiskHide at hardware level sometime ago.

It''s a game of cat and mouse, google introduces new security measures, magisk devs get to working a way around it... There is even a module now that lets you pass full safetynet with xposed and microg.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Curious.
    I managed to downgrade, but can't re-lock the bootloader on Android 10 or else it throws this error and will not boot:View attachment 5375851

Magisk Hide should be able to hide the bootloader status

download. and Unzip it

Flash option 1

Flash Option 2
    Install LMSA

On the phone

download. and Unzip it

Flash option 1

Flash Option 2
    Install LMSA

On the phone

Thanks a lot sd_shadow

I tried Flash Option 2 using LMSA. Replaced all the Android 11 ROM files in the default download directory folder with official Android 10 ROM files, and then used the rescue option to flash the Android 10 files to the Moto g Power. Everything worked perfectly. I now have Android 10 back on my phone. I keep getting the notification that there is an Android 11 update available but just have to ignore this. Thanks again for your help.

Gord

Curious.
    I managed to downgrade, but can't re-lock the bootloader on Android 10 or else it throws this error and will not boot:
    IMG_20210801_223203163.jpg