[HOW-TO] Downgrade from JB to ICS with locked bootloader

Search This thread

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hello guys,

I just don't get it right. :crying: The Downgrade works but for me it is not possible to keep root after upgrading to jb.

I took the "WW_epad_user_9_4_5_30_20120907_UpdateLauncher.zip" and put it on my microSD. Renamed it to "EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip" and went into recovery. The downgrade process started und I was able to root the TF700 with the "RootDebugfs.bat" method.

After that I installed the SuperSU app, started it and made the recommended update. I even marked the checkbox ota survival in the superuser app. Aftewards I loaded and installed the Voodoo OTA root keeper and said "protect root".

All checkboxes were marked and I hit the button temp unroot.

Now I tried to start an OTA Update but it always said that there are no updates available. I cleared DMclient and CMclient data + force close but no change.

So I took the "WW_epaduser_VER104425UpdateLauncher.zip" Update and updated it to jb again with renaming to "EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip".
Recovery started. The update goes well but the OTA rootkeeper app is not able to restore root. -> No backup of su-binary available...

What am I doing wrong?!

Unlocking doesn't work either. Problem with internet connection, please try again later. Whats wrong with this tab?!

You tried to upgrade with the full firmware, this will wipe everything including root. You need to use the dlpkgfile incremental upgrade method or if the normal OTA still working it would be great just use the OTA rootkeeper to preserve root and let the OTA do its things.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

Reactions: gotojanoo

z3r0-c001

Nov 20, 2008
Worked with no Problems! Asus TF700 - US version, locked bootloader. Downgraded from JB 10.4.4.25 to ICS 9.4.5.30 !!

Did everything step by step as written here, worked 100% from first time!

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp
Does anyone know why my talet fails to perform the downgrade?

It always gives this red triangle, even though the MD5 matches...

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp
Any error message? Do messages appear if you press the power button (not too long)?

When should I press the power button for these messages?

I don't see any at the moment, I just keep on seeing the freaking red triangle lol
It's driving me insane, cause Asus won't let me unlock so I *need* to at least have root! :p

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
When should I press the power button for these messages?

I don't see any at the moment, I just keep on seeing the freaking red triangle lol

My last encounter with the stock recovery was half a year ago... I just remember that it showed some text when I pressed the power button while the green android was on the screen. But maybe that was only when I booted into the recovery manually, and not when installing an update.

fujisan43

Apr 6, 2013
Downgrade from OTA 4.2.1?

Hi all,

Is is possible to downgrade from the recent 0TA 4.2.1 (build 10.6.1.14.4) down to ICS build 9.4.5.30?

I'd like to root from ICS and then upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

F.

fujisan43

Apr 6, 2013
If I downgrade to ICS, is it possible to root the TF700T without unlocking.
I've read somewhere that someone rooted his pad without unlocking but also that unlocking is nescessary to root.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.
F.

jcp2

In case anyone else is having problems rooting with the debug method after downgrading to ICS from JB.25 (I was one. The debug method would hang and then tell me it can't access the system partiton. ** I don't remember the exact message) I was finally able to root after letting the tablet download and install the JB 4.1.1 incremental update after installing ICS. I then re-downgraded to ICS and the debug method went off without a hitch. Just putting this out there in case it can help anyone else that runs into the same problem.
John

contro19

Dec 11, 2010
New York, NY
It was formatted via Exfat , 64GB going to format it fat32 right meow.

contro19, if you're still having problems, check out what I and elfaure posted at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2220442

(short version: make sure your SD card is formatted as FAT32)

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Thanks Becoming!

Had to do a factory reset and use fat32 in order to downgrade... Gonna root as soon as downgrade complete

contro19, if you're still having problems, check out what I and elfaure posted at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2220442

(short version: make sure your SD card is formatted as FAT32)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.
    I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
    WARNING: This will wipe your data
    WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
    1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
    2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
    3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
    4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
    5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
    6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
    I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.
    Hi.
    I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
    WARNING: This will wipe your data
    WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
    1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
    2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
    3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
    4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
    5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
    6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
    I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.

Thanks, I might just try this.. the DPI really bugs me on JB!
    Thanks for you guide, I am waiting for my TF700T, but read a lot about rooting process without unlocking bootloader, so please tell me:
    What about root after your guide ?? Just use rooting instruction from here and use OTA rootKeeper and should work ??

Regards
    Doncieslacco

JB cannot currently be rooted, so you'll need to root 9.4.5.30 first, then use OTA rootkeeper to make a backup of root and enable OTA survival (I also enabled OTA survival in superuser), then apply the JB update, and finally use OTA rootkeeper to restore root.

Also, I would highly advise not installing any apps on it in ICS, b/c a lot of people are experiencing idiosyncrasies in JB that are fixed if you perform a factory reset - since your tablet will be brand new, a factory reset will be a lot less painful with no apps installed.

If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk
    If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

However that requires unlocking first,voiding your warranty.
    The file you get from Asus is a .zip file. Inside it is another .zip file. Unzip ONE TIME and rename the .zip file while it is on your PC. Then copy it to the sdcard. I used a sdcard reader connected to my PC to copy the file then popped it in the tablet.

when I tried to do it all on the tablet I got the same results. (it no workie)