HOW TO: downgrade, root and upgrade ANY G1/Dream (even Continental European)

Search This thread

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
Ok, so you have firmware v. 123099 and wanna have root access... no problem.
I have just succesfully downgraded mine, 123099 to RC7, and then loaded ADP1.1h.

QMAT public (free) version used to succesfully downgrade with WM device: qmat_424.zip, md5: 7f0ccd1b52072bc2a6d594393f2ce348.

Newer QMAT can create Goldcard only in paid version. Buy it or get the old one somewhere else (giyf). You won't get it here or from me.

Requirements:
- Micro SD card formated FAT32 (128 MB to 2 GB), Sandisc cards may not work (but worked for me).
and
- Connected Windows Mobile device (application unlocked)

SD Card:
- Format recommended
Code:
format F: /FS:FAT32 /A:4096
(Replace F: with your SD card reader drive letter.)

TESTED, WORKING
1. Insret SD card to WM device and connect it do desktop. WM has to be application unlocked.
2. Download QMAT (http://revskills.de/pages/download.html)
3. Start QMAT and select Hardware Forensics -> Generate HTC Goldcard
4. Select Dream from the list of devices, Click "Get SD Card Serial from WINCE Device" and then "Save Goldcard Image to WINCE SD".
5. Copy DREAIMG.NBH to the root of sd (UK - RC7 recommended for our DREA110)
6. Power off the G1, put the card inside, hold camera button and press power button
7. Press power button to start flashing
8. To apply HardSPL, root & upgrade: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=442480
9. You don't need the GoldCard any more (HardSPL fixes it, you should be able to flash any image now). So format the SD once again or borrow to a friend to downgrade his G1. :)

Other way: No WM device needed, just Linux (or Cygwin, to use dd) and paid version of QMAT. However this may not work (incorrect sd card serial number read from G1).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=3368673#post3368673
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=3387344#post3387344

Other way: Generate image for free and dd it to sd
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=3542745#post3542745

Proof:

x3ij5y.png

2qjgh7l.png

2a0e0dy.png

Thanks DeToX for the GoldCard idea.
http://androidforum.cz/hacking-rooting-českého-kontinentálního-htc-dream-vyřešeno!--t428.html

Last edited:

infl00p

Feb 22, 2009
Athens
This is great news, moneytoo you are the king !

I did some reading at the links you gave and I believe in theory instead of using a windows mobile phone for QMAT, you can create a HTC goldcard and distribute that image for any HTC Dream downgrade.
Nope that doesn't work

Last edited:

finran

Sep 8, 2008
Hi,
Because of i dont have a windows mobile device i would be glad if someone could give a little more detailed version of the "hardcore" way... im not sure how to accomplish that way ... anyone ideas or more detailed howtos for patching withour the ability of creating a goldcard?

htcorbit

Feb 7, 2009
Hi,
Because of i dont have a windows mobile device i would be glad if someone could give a little more detailed version of the "hardcore" way... im not sure how to accomplish that way ... anyone ideas or more detailed howtos for patching withour the ability of creating a goldcard?

Hi, read again.
Requirements:
- Micro SD card formated FAT32 (up to 2 GB), Sandisc cards may not work (but worked for me)
and
- Connected Windows Mobile device (application unlocked)
or
- SD card reader and other way of getting SD card serial number

2 way to do. first or second -- connect WMD or card reader to get serial no of card.

Tuxguevara

Jan 12, 2009
I have a Windows Mobile Device but only with SD Card support but no micro SD.

But as i read so far, the only thing you need the WM Device for is to dump the micro SD serial number. So we just need to find another way to read out the number from the G1 directly... ?!

infl00p

Feb 22, 2009
Athens
I have a Windows Mobile Device but only with SD Card support but no micro SD.

But as i read so far, the only thing you need the WM Device for is to dump the micro SD serial number. So we just need to find another way to read out the number from the G1 directly... ?!

Get a microsd adapter. MicroSD cards are 100% compatible with SD hardware.

Rembold91

Feb 22, 2009
Yes it Works

I have downgrades my German RC33 to UK RTC7 with this method, It was very easy to create this HTC Gold Card. Next Step ist a custom Firmware.

infl00p

Feb 22, 2009
Athens
In a linux enviroment, you can get the card id by looking at the /sys fs.
For example in android it's on path /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:XXXX/cid
The same applies for every recent linux kernel.

My perl skills are a bit rusty but I'll try and port the perl goldcard image utility to official unix perl versions.

kingzero90

Feb 21, 2009
In a linux enviroment, you can get the card id by looking at the /sys fs.
For example in android it's on path /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:XXXX/cid
The same applies for every recent linux kernel.

My perl skills are a bit rusty but I'll try and port the perl goldcard image utility to official unix perl versions.
It seems it works even with android. But what do you do after you got the serial number?

sebimaurer

Feb 5, 2009
i followed the 'hardcore way' (using the dream-keys in the pearl-script of course) but without success .... still getting 'not allow' at the bootloader.
i've used the sd cid from '/sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:aaaa/cid' and replaced the first byte with '00' (also tried it without replacing the first byte).

does anyone had success with the 'hardcore way' or is there any other way if you don't have a windows mobile device??? (qmat isn't working as mentioned earlier)

infl00p

Feb 22, 2009
Athens
I tried the hardcore way in linux with the help of wine to run ActiveState Perl and generate goldcard.img. Used a card reader.
Formated with "mkfs.vfat -F 32 -S 4096 /dev/sde1"
Then run "dd if=goldcard.img of=/dev/sde bs=1 count=288"
Unfortunately it doesn't work also.

Can anyone verify that the /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:XXXX/cid (csd?) holds the same card serial as the qmat method.

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
I tried the hardcore way in linux with the help of wine to run ActiveState Perl and generate goldcard.img. Used a card reader.
Formated with "mkfs.vfat -F 32 -S 4096 /dev/sde1"
Then run "dd if=goldcard.img of=/dev/sde bs=1 count=288"
Unfortunately it doesn't work also.

Can anyone verify that the /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:XXXX/cid (csd?) holds the same card serial as the qmat method.

edit: I *think* serial is the number you need, but I'm not positive about that. I recall from previous conversations I've had that the value that you read (cid/serial? don't remember which) from that location is actually backwards. You may try flipping it around and trying that. Worth a shot at least ;)

Last edited:

sebimaurer

Feb 5, 2009
Just checked and those numbers are not the same, even when reversed.

could you please check if the id from qmat contains the number found under /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:XXXX/serial ? thx!!

maybe we need to put together serial + oemid + manid or something like that ...

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone