[How To] Downgrade to 4.5.3 so you can root device

Search This thread

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
Before you follow that thread, which is intense, try to reboot to recovery on your current OS. Use the adb reboot recovery command, and you should see the sideload through ADB option. I did. I then flashed 4.5.3, rebooted to setup (no wifi). Then, from adb in your laptop, adb install Kingroot and the JMZ Tools so that you can disable OTA. Disable OTA (pm block com.amazon.otaverifier), and let Kingroot install root with wifi enabled. Once root works, adb install Flashify to install the twrp image that you will copy to the device. Reboot to recovery, and flash supersu.zip.
adb reboot recovery, fastboot and bootloader all result in either a reboot, or just a black screen. Seems somehow my recovery partition got hosed.

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
This is the version I'm on. Guess it hasn't been many years after all and it looks like I've disabled Ota's as it won check for updates

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171116_201747.jpg
    MVIMG_20171116_201747.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 261

Big2hd

Sep 22, 2010
Finally got root or should say had lol(must of not block updates properly cause now I got 5.6) , followed this tutorial until around step 8(needed a file manager to do it so connected to internet to dl es explorer, be FAST!!! about it or you'll brick your device like I did lol) but after that easy stuff.

akira022

Nov 12, 2009
I have OTA blocked at the router with version 5.4.0.0 on my Fire 7. Does this root method work with all generations or just up to 5th?

gorman42

Sep 13, 2014
I have a Fire HD 6 I bought for my daughter some years ago. With the latest "updates" it's become slow as hell. Seriously thinking about downgrading and, if possible, stopping the updates. It's incredible how in the name of "updating" perfectly good devices are rendered almost useless.

Gabster12

Jul 5, 2017
Sorry...couldn't find the answer in forum...but can downgrade my kindle fire hd 7 with last update 5.6.1.0 then root it and put a rom in??

rastaman001

Mar 24, 2013
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 4
Before you follow that thread, which is intense, try to reboot to recovery on your current OS. Use the adb reboot recovery command, and you should see the sideload through ADB option. I did. I then flashed 4.5.3, rebooted to setup (no wifi). Then, from adb in your laptop, adb install Kingroot and the JMZ Tools so that you can disable OTA. Disable OTA (pm block com.amazon.otaverifier), and let Kingroot install root with wifi enabled. Once root works, adb install Flashify to install the twrp image that you will copy to the device. Reboot to recovery, and flash supersu.zip.

Follow the steps from this thread:
https://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/how-to-upgrade-to-lollipop-root-gapps-t3163950

boot into TWRP, and, in a single session (!!!!!)
(Optional) clear cache/dalvik (to shrink the backup size), run TWRP backup to a USB drive via USBOTG cable for your /data partition
(Optional) do factory reset (can skip if you already have Lollipop),
flash the latest FireOS from this official Amazon link (rename *bin to *zip such that TWRP can recognize it):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201596850
If for some reason you need a different FireOS version, grab the file you need from the links in this post.
flash 5.2.0_stock_recovery_only.zip below. If you kept track of your prior FireOS versions and know what you are doing, you can flash
5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot.zip from post #2 (this will flash 5.2.0 stock recovery & 5.4.1 bootloaders). Note that if you downgraded from FireOS 5.3.1 to 4.5.3 to root, you must flash 5.5.2_1534_stock_recovery_uboot.zip instead, this will put the required 5.3.1 bootloaders back.
flash the attached make_space_v02.zip (this will remove moffice and weather to make room in /system for GAPPS , can always install this stuff from Play Store)
flash Supersu.zip https://download.chainfire.eu/696/Su...erSU-v2.46.zip
flash Xposed for Lollipop 5.1 (if you want it for misc modules, highly recommended to do this just in case)
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=3034811
(version xposed-vXX-sdk22-arm.zip )
flash Pico (Uni) GAPPS for 5.1 :
http://xdaforums.com/andr...gapps-t3116347
clear cache/dalvik in TWRP
Another reminder: If you are absolutely sure that you have never run FireOS 4.5.5.1 bootloaders or Lollipop with anything but 5.2.0 bootloaders, you can flash 5.2.0_stock_recovery_uboot.zip from post #2 here, this way you preserve the well behaved 5.2.0 bootloaders. If you are not sure about any of this, don't do it !!!

2) reboot to recovery, you should see stock 5.2.0 recovery
I know I'm late to the party, but hashing out an old Kindle Fire HD 6 I had laying around since 2016... I see Kingroot now is gone/malware/blocked by Windows. Is there any other way to root the device, or does anyone have an old kingroot version that still works?

Top Liked Posts