[How To] Easily Root your SGS2

Search This thread

jivy26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 7, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va
Instructions updated based on creepyncrawly's thread found here .

1.) How to root by using DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit. (ZergRush Exploit) (Windows)

• [*]Not working for KK6 2.3.6[*]
  • Download the "DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit v3.0" package from this thread and extract it to a directory on your hard drive using WinZip or a similar program.
  • You need to have the USB drivers for SGH-I777 installed on your computer. (It will be "Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones" in Control Panel\Uninstall Programs.) Download and install the latest drivers from this thread. (x86 and x64)
  • Both USB Debugging (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development) and Unknown Sources (Menu\Settings\Applications) should be enabled on your phone.
  • Increase the screen timeout on your phone to 10 minutes. (Menu\Settings\Display\Screen Timeout) Remember to set it back to a shorter interval after you are done rooting.
  • Connect the USB cable to the phone and the computer. Go to the directory where you extracted the package and execute "runme.bat".
  • The toolkit will open a command prompt window where you will see the progress of the rooting process. It takes between 5 and 10 minutes for the process to complete.
  • Success. You're rooted.
2.) How to root by using SuperOneClick Root. (ZergRush Exploit) (Windows, Linux and Mac OS)

• Download "SuperOneClick v2.3.1 - Automatic Driver Installation" from MultiUpload and extract it to a directory on your hard drive using WinZip or a similar program.
  • Please go the the SuperOneClick thread and read about the tool and how to use it. For Windows XP you need to have .NET Framework v2.0 or above installed. For Mac OS and certain flavors of Linux, you need to install Mono.
  • I have not tested this tool. It is included here because it claims to work for Mac OS and Linux, and provides a way to use the ZergRush Exploit on those operating systems. Since I am only familiar with Windows, I will be unable to support this rooting method. For problems, try posting questions in the SuperOneClick thread linked above.
  • If you try SuperOneClick on Linux or Mac, please post your (success or failure) results. Thanks.
3.) How to root by flashing Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to Stock, Kernel + Rooted System Package with Modem using Odin3 One-Click Downloader (Windows)
I have prepared Odin3 One-click Downloaders for the Stock non-rooted and Stock + Root packages. Each One-click Downloader also contains the Modem. This will make flashing back to stock or flashing root in Windows easier. These were tested and flashed successfully on my device. These could be posted in the OP for convenience.

Odin3 One-click Downloader I-777 UCKH7 Stock + Root No Bootloaders
I777_UCKH7_OCD_Root_No_BL.7z
(This one-click downloader flashes: zImage, factoryfs.img with root, and modem.bin)

How to Use:
  • Download the 7 zip package. Extract the contents of the zip file to a directory on your hard disk drive.
  • Start the Odin3 One-Click Downloader program by double clicking on "I777UCKH7 OCD No BL.exe" or "I777UCKH7 OCD Root No BL.exe".
  • Now Enter Download Mode:
    • With the phone powered off, plug in the usb cable while holding the vol up + vol down buttons (but not the power button).
    • When the warning screen appears, press Volume up to continue into download mode.
  • In Odin, the small edit box in the upper left corner will turn yellow, and say something like [0:COM8]. The number could be different.
  • Click Start. Watch the progress bar advance in green while the message box in the lower area describes the steps. When the flash is finished, the top left larger edit box will turn green and say PASS! and your phone will automatically reboot.
  • Unplug the usb cable from you phone after it boots up. Success.
The above is from creepyncrawly, found here.

4.) How to root by flashing Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to Stock, Kernel + Rooted System Package from the command line using Heimdall (Linux and Mac OS)
  • Tested on Linux, should work on Mac OS
  • Download and install the latest version of Heimdall Command Line for your operating system from here. (Latest version 1.3.1 at this writing.)
  • Download Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to Stock, Kernel + Rooted System Package from here. Extract the PDA.tar file from this package to a directory on your hard disk drive, then extract the two component files from the tar - zImage and factoryfs.img.
  • Place zImage and factoryfs.img both in the directory where you have the Heimdall command line executable, and enter the following at the command prompt:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img
  • Reboot the phone. Success. You're Rooted.

Last edited by a moderator:

dayv

Sep 7, 2010
Do all the buttons and data connections work properly this kernel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

dayv

Sep 7, 2010
Cool should have my phone in a hour or two. Though I may hold off flashing till later on encase the development cause needs a virgin dump of something later on tonight.

jivy26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 7, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va
Cool should have my phone in a hour or two. Though I may hold off flashing till later on encase the development cause needs a virgin dump of something later on tonight.

Yea sent them mine already. Have it on pc in case they need more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

kletiz

Jul 15, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
Might wanna get rid of the screenshot that has the first app listed. Some may frown upon it... just saying. Anyways, thank you and I will have mine in 3 hours. Yay!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

TheTodFather

Aug 9, 2010
Huntsville
I can not for the love of God figure out why odin 1.8.2 is not recognizing my phone. I tried it first with debugging on, then off. Different ports. I know the drivers work because i can mount it and add or remove files from it. I get to downloading(do not turn off target) but Odin does not say COM1 or what not. Any suggestions/

I feel I missing something obvious, unless this driver is different then the captivate driver?

kletiz

Jul 15, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
Probably a noob question, but pc drivers - are they the same as captivate or do I need to get new drivers? Link?

Thanks,

Bob

I'm pretty sure it uses the same drivers as the captivate. But I don't have the SGSII in my hands yet so I can't confirm.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

I can not for the love of God figure out why odin 1.8.2 is not recognizing my phone. I tried it first with debugging on, then off. Different ports. I know the drivers work because i can mount it and add or remove files from it. I get to downloading(do not turn off target) but Odin does not say COM1 or what not. Any suggestions/

I feel I missing something obvious

What OS?

10 char

Reactions: pete0726

TheTodFather

Aug 9, 2010
Huntsville
Graci, I haz rootz now.

Ok figured it out! Somehow the drivers were corrupted, I just re-installed them and all is good. I suspected it was causing the problem. Glad to get it fixed.

Last edited:

edward_wat

Jan 8, 2011
Hmm..

Two issues I am having with this. The first and most important is that I cannot seem to flash any other ROMs - or even other versions of Clockwork Mod with this. I get "signature verification failed". I've checked the MD5 of the downloaded files and it all seems to check out, so I'm unsure if this is intentional or not.

I've also now got an annoying big yellow exclamation point on boot. It doesn't really impede anything, but it is... absolutely infuriating how it stares at me with its yellowness.. It really isn't a big deal, though.

I'm going to try to reflash a third time, though, maybe it will solve itself.

Reactions: Root-Maniac

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions updated based on creepyncrawly's thread found here .

1.) How to root by using DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit. (ZergRush Exploit) (Windows)

• Download the "DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit v3.0" package from this thread and extract it to a directory on your hard drive using WinZip or a similar program.
    • You need to have the USB drivers for SGH-I777 installed on your computer. (It will be "Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones" in Control Panel\Uninstall Programs.) Download and install the latest drivers from this thread. (x86 and x64)
    • Both USB Debugging (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development) and Unknown Sources (Menu\Settings\Applications) should be enabled on your phone.
    • Increase the screen timeout on your phone to 10 minutes. (Menu\Settings\Display\Screen Timeout) Remember to set it back to a shorter interval after you are done rooting.
    • Connect the USB cable to the phone and the computer. Go to the directory where you extracted the package and execute "runme.bat".
    • The toolkit will open a command prompt window where you will see the progress of the rooting process. It takes between 5 and 10 minutes for the process to complete.
    • Success. You're rooted.
    2.) How to root by using SuperOneClick Root. (ZergRush Exploit) (Windows, Linux and Mac OS)

• Download "SuperOneClick v2.3.1 - Automatic Driver Installation" from MultiUpload and extract it to a directory on your hard drive using WinZip or a similar program.
    • Please go the the SuperOneClick thread and read about the tool and how to use it. For Windows XP you need to have .NET Framework v2.0 or above installed. For Mac OS and certain flavors of Linux, you need to install Mono.
    • I have not tested this tool. It is included here because it claims to work for Mac OS and Linux, and provides a way to use the ZergRush Exploit on those operating systems. Since I am only familiar with Windows, I will be unable to support this rooting method. For problems, try posting questions in the SuperOneClick thread linked above.
    • If you try SuperOneClick on Linux or Mac, please post your (success or failure) results. Thanks.
    3.) How to root by flashing Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to Stock, Kernel + Rooted System Package with Modem using Odin3 One-Click Downloader (Windows)
    I have prepared Odin3 One-click Downloaders for the Stock non-rooted and Stock + Root packages. Each One-click Downloader also contains the Modem. This will make flashing back to stock or flashing root in Windows easier. These were tested and flashed successfully on my device. These could be posted in the OP for convenience.

Odin3 One-click Downloader I-777 UCKH7 Stock + Root No Bootloaders
    I777_UCKH7_OCD_Root_No_BL.7z
    (This one-click downloader flashes: zImage, factoryfs.img with root, and modem.bin)

How to Use:
    • Download the 7 zip package. Extract the contents of the zip file to a directory on your hard disk drive.
    • Start the Odin3 One-Click Downloader program by double clicking on "I777UCKH7 OCD No BL.exe" or "I777UCKH7 OCD Root No BL.exe".
    • Now Enter Download Mode:
      • With the phone powered off, plug in the usb cable while holding the vol up + vol down buttons (but not the power button).
      • When the warning screen appears, press Volume up to continue into download mode.
    • In Odin, the small edit box in the upper left corner will turn yellow, and say something like [0:COM8]. The number could be different.
    • Click Start. Watch the progress bar advance in green while the message box in the lower area describes the steps. When the flash is finished, the top left larger edit box will turn green and say PASS! and your phone will automatically reboot.
    • Unplug the usb cable from you phone after it boots up. Success.
    The above is from creepyncrawly, found here.

4.) How to root by flashing Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to Stock, Kernel + Rooted System Package from the command line using Heimdall (Linux and Mac OS)
    • Tested on Linux, should work on Mac OS
    • Download and install the latest version of Heimdall Command Line for your operating system from here. (Latest version 1.3.1 at this writing.)
    • Download Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to Stock, Kernel + Rooted System Package from here. Extract the PDA.tar file from this package to a directory on your hard disk drive, then extract the two component files from the tar - zImage and factoryfs.img.
    • Place zImage and factoryfs.img both in the directory where you have the Heimdall command line executable, and enter the following at the command prompt:
      Code:
      heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img
    • Reboot the phone. Success. You're Rooted.
    ^
    Framaroot apk is the easiest and fastest way to gain Root for the i777...imho. :thumbup:
    Link --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37508806

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Hi. I have the microusb port broken, so I can not plug the cable to root the device (android 2.3.4 - baseband i777uckh7). I read something about the exynosabuse.apk but I did not understand well if it will work on my device (or how do I have to do it right). I will appreciate any help. Thanks

You could try Framaroot with the Aragorn exploit. I'm not sure if it works on UCKH7 but definitely worth a try. This is an apk that installs and runs directly on the phone. I believe you should try version 1.4.3.
    @Untitled87

I sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to say thanks in several posts, especially since many people never come back to show appreciation for the work and advice that others have taken the time to put together. It is actually more helpful for you to press the "thanks" button on posts that are particularly helpful to you. It is a way of highlighting certain posts within the forum so that others can find them more easily. It also helps to keep the thread less cluttered which also helps users to get the information they need faster.

cheers, happy flashing.
    -Cyril
    Super simple, Thanks!!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone