How to edit build prop with magisk?

Search This thread

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
You literally just have to add what you want to the /common/system.prop file and set the tag in install.sh for propfile=true. Re-read the documentation, a simple file change is easy.
Apparently I simply need to add system.prop to root of zip (see didgeridoohans post above)

I forgot to add, I'm using mnt extended template and install.sh is a blank document in /common

From what I have gathered with my convo earlier, resetprop (presumably part of magisk) will load the props from system.prop on the root of the module zip.

As this makes sense and to avoid confusion I will try this process and return to yours if no success

Furthermore a couple of places are saying not to bother using install.sh due to resetprop

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
To be fair, what @wangdaning is talking about is how the module template used to work. The new module format is explained in the docs I linked earlier (and in the MMT-Ex template wiki, but in this instance, with system.prop, I'm fairly sure they work the same).
My main issue is tying the most up to date information together. Google gives a mish-mash of current and old.

wangdanings information made sense (but I'd have to populate that install.sh) but I cant focus on that til trying this out at least first lol.

The quirks of neurodivergence! ?

wangdaning

Sep 17, 2012
Wuxi
I was trying to give the simplest way. You can make it more complicated of course :D
My last module was built a month or so ago and I think that is how the template from the repo worked/works.

Last edited:

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
To be fair, what @wangdaning is talking about is how the module template used to work. The new module format is explained in the docs I linked earlier (and in the MMT-Ex template wiki, but in this instance, with system.prop, I'm fairly sure they work the same).
BOOM! AND ITS IN!lol

Thanks for your help and patience my friend!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200308-113523_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200308-113523_Settings.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 402

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Developer Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
any help with getting (net.terhering.nonprovisioning=true ) to persist i keep loosing it for some reason
pixel 2 xl android 10 cricket wireless

It would help knowing how you set it...

If you're just using the resetprop command, it will indeed reset to the original value when you reboot.

Otherwise it should stick (if you use a boot script or a Magisk module).

wmhaganjr1013

Nov 27, 2015
Bluefield
It would help knowing how you set it...

If you're just using the resetprop command, it will indeed reset to the original value when you reboot.

Otherwise it should stick (if you use a boot script or a Magisk module).

cant seem to get working at all now used magisk module

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

went in and deleted it and now i cant get it to work at all
how do i make this persist thru reboot please I am somewhat noobish sorry

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

can i do this
#!/system/bin/sh
persist.net.tethering.nonprovisioning=true
or
#!/system/bin/sh
persist net.tethering.nonprovisioning=true

Didgeridoohan

Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

can i do this
#!/system/bin/sh
persist.net.tethering.nonprovisioning=true
or
#!/system/bin/sh
persist net.tethering.nonprovisioning=true

What module did you use?

And is that supposed to be a boot script? If so you need to also add the resetprop command. Example:

If I want to change my screen density to 496 (the prop is ro.sf.lcd_density) with a boot script I would add this to a file in service.d (or post-fs-data.d if the first one doesn't work):
Code:
resetprop ro.sf.lcd_density 496
The file needs execution permission, but after setting all this up the prop will be changed at every boot.

wmhaganjr1013

Nov 27, 2015
Bluefield
What module did you use?

And is that supposed to be a boot script? If so you need to also add the resetprop command. Example:

If I want to change my screen density to 496 (the prop is ro.sf.lcd_density) with a boot script I would add this to a file in service.d (or post-fs-data.d if the first one doesn't work):
Code:
resetprop ro.sf.lcd_density 496
The file needs execution permission, but after setting all this up the prop will be changed at every boot.
i am using your module Sir.
A tutorial on how to do custom props on your module is what i was looking for last night on how to add
net.tethering.nonprovisioning=true
i dont know what i did wrong but now i cant get it to work at all as soon as i get signal (lte) i get message and hotspot shuts off

Didgeridoohan

Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
i am using your module Sir.
A tutorial on how to do custom props on your module is what i was looking for last night on how to add
net.tethering.nonprovisioning=true
i dont know what i did wrong but now i cant get it to work at all as soon as i get signal (lte) i get message and hotspot shuts off

On the current version of the module (v5.3.1) you would enter/type:
  • props
  • n
  • net.tethering.nonprovisioning
  • true
  • y
  • y

I can't help with the actual tethering though... Never played with that stuff.

Reactions: 73sydney

Didgeridoohan

Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Are you going to update Your Module to Android 11 for pixel devices
I Sir have pixel 2 Xl was Trying Android 11 beta 3 but everyday driver i use a modified Factory 10 Rom
if beer fund needs help i may be able to assist come payday

What is it that doesn't work on 11 (I don't have any 11 devices, so if there's something that isn't working it would be great to know)?

If you mean the SafetyNet CTS check, it's no use updating the fingerprint just yet. If it doesn't work now, it's not gonna work until Google certifies the build.

wmhaganjr1013

Nov 27, 2015
Bluefield
What is it that doesn't work on 11 (I don't have any 11 devices, so if there's something that isn't working it would be great to know)?

If you mean the SafetyNet CTS check, it's no use updating the fingerprint just yet. If it doesn't work now, it's not gonna work until Google certifies the build.
well after playing with your Module!!! Between 2 pixel 2 xl devices 1 on 10 and second on 11 beta 3 i was using Solid Explorer and went into files and added fingerprint info manually and wifi calling props, and tethering prop. everything is working. Thanks for Your FAST Answers.
Sometimes it just takes playing with things to understand them !!!! (I mean my Dumd azz!!!) LOL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

well after playing with your Module!!! Between 2 pixel 2 xl devices 1 on 10 and second on 11 beta 3 i was using Solid Explorer and went into files and added fingerprint info manually and wifi calling props, and tethering prop. everything is working. Thanks for Your FAST Answers.
    Sometimes it just takes playing with things to understand them !!!! (I mean my Dumd azz!!!) LOL
    Thanks this seems promising, however i don't understand the syntax. If you have time could you tell me what to add with the build prop changes i wanted earlier in the thread. Thanks a lot for all the help

Look at how ro.debuggable, ro.secure and the other ro props are handled in the enable file. Match what you want to do to those and then add similar code with your other desired changes in the disable file.

It should be as simple as copying, pasting and changing variable names and props to match your desired setup.
    It is easiest to just start with a fresh template and make a module. The template does most the work for a prop change, you just have to add the values you want and it will work.
    @topjohnwu is currently implementing this into Magisk Manager. As for now you can use:
    Code:
    /data/magisk/resetprop build.prop.item value
    You can either make a module or a script that you put in /magisk/.core/post-fs-data.d. More details in the All-In-One wiki (stickied thread).

And as stated above, in upcoming versions you'll be able to change prop values in a GUI in the Magisk Manager. It's on the to-do list, but of course there's no ETA.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone