[HOW-TO] Edit your user.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

kingklick

Jun 23, 2009
With all these new "hero" builds coming out/updates for them, it is important to have optimal settings. Many people are not sure how to do this so I thought I would take my time to write a quick how to.

I have also attached a user.conf that is setup with comp cache and backing swap, swappiness of 80. I set the cpu scaling from 384 to 528 Mhz. You may edit this with notepad++ if you would like swap instead. Just open the user.conf with notepad++ and make the changes you want (the file is pretty self explanatory) Just be sure to set compcache to 0 along with backing swap :cool:

Place the "user.conf" on your sd root, and use the commands mentioned below

P.S. I apologize in advance to the moderators if you feel this is not in the appropriate place or not necessary, just trying to make things a little bit easier :)

In Terminal type:

Code:
$su
#sh /system/bin/rwsystem
#cp -f sdcard/user.conf /system/bin/user.conf

*If your ROM does not support "rwsystem"* use:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtd/mtdblock3 /system

Once again, I have attached a user.conf along with the JAC kernel that includes the script which allows you to use "rwsystem" (If your ROM supports the kernel)

Here is the link to the JACSki kernel with ttc_smokee's gps fix and Soul Life's script which will allow you to use "rwsystem"
http://www.4shared.com/file/133261717/84fd2884/JACHEROSki_Kernal-_Update.html

*Just like anything else on this site, I am not responsible for you bricking or damaging your device*

CHeErs :cool:

Attachments

• user.zip
    930 bytes · Views: 1,742
Last edited:

kingklick

Jun 23, 2009
Are these edits needed/beneficial for those not interested/using hero ROMs?

I recall MikeTaylor had a file, but i know so little on what these can do. Thanks for doing this man.

Not needed, however I'd say most would argue they are beneficial changes for most ROMS... ie) cyanogen uses comp cache on his builds.

and no problem man my pleasure. My way of giving back to this great site :D

soulife

Jul 27, 2008
With all these new "hero" builds coming out/updates for them, it is important to have optimal settings. Many people are not sure how to do this so I thought I would take my time to write a quick how to.

I have also attached a user.conf that is setup with comp cache and backing swap, swappiness of 80. I set the cpu scaling from 383 to 528 Mhz. You may edit this with notepad++ if you would like swap instead. Just be sure to set compcache to 0 along with backing swap :cool:

P.S. I apologize in advance to the moderators if you feel this is not in the appropriate place or not necessary, just trying to make things a little bit easier :)

In Terminal type:

Code:
$su
#rwsystem
#cp -f sdcard/user.conf /system/bin/user.conf

*If your ROM does not have a kernel that supports "rwsystem" use
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtd/mtdblock3 /system

Once again, I have attached a user.conf along with the JAC kernel that will allow you to use "rwsystem" (If your ROM supports the kernel)

Here is the link to the JACSki kernel which will allow you to use "rwsystem"
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K39IKK7A

*Just like anything else on this site, I am not responsible for you bricking or damaging your device*

CHeErs :cool:

Rwsystem is not kernel dependent, its a script I wrote that made its way into a few other builds. Just a script which resides in bin or xbin directory, nothing more or less.

kingklick

Jun 23, 2009
Rwsystem is not kernel dependent, its a script I wrote that made its way into a few other builds. Just a script which resides in bin or xbin directory, nothing more or less.

o ok kool. I was mislead by a few others saying it was in the new JAC kernel :p silly people.... Anyway thanks for the fix soul life :D

you did a great thing by adding that script :cool:

Last edited:

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
More Detailed HOW-TO

Thanks for the post. I am in middle of (will take about a year, LOL) writing a HOW-TO on user.conf settings so that it will be easier to understand what needs editing and what settings are best. Currently, I am using a 64MB linux-swap with compcache and have been playing around with tweaking the settings to make my phones run "perfectly." This is much more difficult than it sounds when you take into account the various options such as backing swap, linux swap, swap files, compcache and swappiness settings. This all, of course, is system and user dependent. I use my G1 and my myTouch differently and have different apps installed on each so therefore, my settings are different for both. I still haven't come up with the perfect strategy but I am pretty close.

How about expanding this out (I don't mind actually posting it) to include more details on what each setting means and what the possible benefits/problems are with each. I use this (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542899) userinit.sh file along with the user.conf. I wrote one script to pull the user.conf from system/sd to my SD card and one that pushes it back to system/sd when I'm done with it. I use "Text Edit" to edit the user.conf right on my phone so I do not need to use ADB and Notepad++. This takes the PC out of the picture so I can tweak the settings wherever I happen to be.

I don't think there is ONE user.conf file that is good for everyone. It all depends on what the user's intentions are with his or her phone. Your default swappiness is set to 80 but that can vary. I am up in the air on that one testing between 30 and 100. But like I said, user dependent.

Last edited:

kingklick

Jun 23, 2009
Thanks for the post. I am in middle of (will take about a year, LOL) writing a HOW-TO on user.conf settings so that it will be easier to understand what needs editing and what settings are best. Currently, I am using a 64MB linux-swap with compcache and have been playing around with tweaking the settings to make my phones run "perfectly." This is much more difficult than it sounds when you take into account the various options such as backing swap, linux swap, swap files, compcache and swappiness settings. This all, of course, is system and user dependent. I use my G1 and my myTouch differently and have different apps installed on each so therefore, my settings are different for both. I still haven't come up with the perfect strategy but I am pretty close.

How about expanding this out (I don't mind actually posting it) to include more details on what each setting means and what the possible benefits/problems are with each. I use this (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542899) userinit.sh file along with the user.conf. I wrote one script to pull the user.conf from system/sd to my SD card and one that pushes it back to system/sd when I'm done with it. I use "Text Edit" to edit the user.conf right on my phone so I do not need to use ADB and Notepad++. This takes the PC out of the picture so I can tweak the settings wherever I happen to be.

I don't think there is ONE user.conf file that is good for everyone. It all depends on what the user's intentions are with his or her phone. You default swappiness is set to 80 but that can vary. I am up in the air on that one testing between 30 and 100. But like I said, user dependent.

o ok very kool. Although, I did mention in my OP the HEro ROMs and what not, so I figured most people interested would be in the HEro scene. These settings seem to work best for me on 75% of the hero ROMs Ive flashed. DOesnt mean its "right" just whats worked for me. Just wanted to give back to this great site, and help the new comers because we have all been there at some point :D

P.S. PM me what you think I shoulld change/add to this thread to make it offical. Thank you in advance :D

ChEerS :cool:

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
Yeah, I just noticed the Hero thing. I suppose that I would like to see (somewhere on XDA either here or a new post) a very detailed explanation of all the possible settings, what they do and how they may or may not affect each other. When I was first trying all of this out I had to search very long to find explanations. If a noob wanted to know what swappiness was, for example, they would have a difficult time finding a good explanation. Even the experts can't agree so how is a novice supposed to understand it.

Perhaps this would be a good place for people who know to informally contribute and it can eventually be moved to its own thread, a sort of compache, linux-swap, backing swap, swappiness manual. A one-stop shop for all things memory related with links to the various XDA threads that can help them accomplish what they want to do.

My G1 and myTouch fly right now with next to no lag but it took me quite some time to get all the settings the way I like it (sort of, still perfecting them). I want the same for everyone.

prince.siraj

Feb 18, 2009
Loma Linda
Yeah, I just noticed the Hero thing. I suppose that I would like to see (somewhere on XDA either here or a new post) a very detailed explanation of all the possible settings, what they do and how they may or may not affect each other. When I was first trying all of this out I had to search very long to find explanations. If a noob wanted to know what swappiness was, for example, they would have a difficult time finding a good explanation. Even the experts can't agree so how is a novice supposed to understand it.

Perhaps this would be a good place for people who know to informally contribute and it can eventually be moved to its own thread, a sort of compache, linux-swap, backing swap, swappiness manual. A one-stop shop for all things memory related with links to the various XDA threads that can help them accomplish what they want to do.

My G1 and myTouch fly right now with next to no lag but it took me quite some time to get all the settings the way I like it (sort of, still perfecting them). I want the same for everyone.

Yeah I agree cuz when I was trying to root my phone and stuff around fiveish months ago... and I had to do the whole runaround because there was not any good organized information like now it is pretty close. But we definitely have a ways to go to get some good stuff for n00bs... :) lets get it done.'

kingklick

Jun 23, 2009

yah for sure bro. Maybe you and me should put a detalied one together... This was intended to be a crude easy guide for pure n00bs who just want a "faster" phone. Most n00bs are not too concerned with what "swappiness" is and the technical difference between CC or linux-swap. Thats just my opionion though brother :)

markdt098

Mar 11, 2009
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what exactly do I do with the two files? Do I rename the kernal update as update.zip and run that after I'm done installing the Hero ROM of my choice (I was looking at doing drizzy's)? Then what do I do with the user.conf file?

kingklick

Jun 23, 2009
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what exactly do I do with the two files? Do I rename the kernal update as update.zip and run that after I'm done installing the Hero ROM of my choice (I was looking at doing drizzy's)? Then what do I do with the user.conf file?

Ima change the OP thanks :D anyway, if you have recovery 1.4 you can actually flash "any" zip meaning it does not need to be renamed. MOst ROMS now have this kernel built in, however MOdaco 2.2 DOES NOT, so if you plan on using modaco 2.2, flash this kernel. FLash MOdaco (or whatever ROM is missing this kernel) THEN flash the kernel right after without rebooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.