How To Guide How to Enable All Bands Through Service Menu on US/CA S22 series (including Sub-6 and mmWave)

Search This thread

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
Is there any benefit to unlocking all the bands?
If you fit any of the following cases, then there is a benefit.
  • If you're using a US phone in another country (either travelling there or live there), the bands are locked to the US bands so 5G/4G+ might not work. Unlocking all bands will allow you to use 5G or 4G+ in other countries on the US firmware.
  • Different carriers in the US also use different 5G bands, so if you're using some other carrier's firmware for whatever reason, then this method will unlock all bands for your carrier.
  • Also, if you're using some small time carrier in the US that didn't optimize the CSC to their bands properly, unlocking all bands might help get better 4G+/5G coverage as well (as @bigdave79 said here).
If you don't fit any of the above cases, then there is no benefit.

phormskaran

Jul 1, 2022
That's good to hear! How did you fix the problem? It just fixed iitself or did you do anything?
Hi in the beginning i was little confused because i live in a 5G area and it didn’t show 5G indoors but when i went out it Suddenly it showed only 5G and 4G+ so in Short issue resolved ;)
Apart from the Network the U1 XAA Firmware makes the phone so fast and the Battery remains all day long with the U AT&T Firmware it was just laggy and the Battery lasted 06h a hours after full charge

Reactions: peacey8

cokeito

Jun 3, 2022
I've done all the steps above, seems the be unlocked, but none of my both simcards are able to get 5G (i've unlocked the n78 band) that's the one used in Chile.
Any advice or smth im doing wrong?

i've got exact same information as screenshot posted after unlock

Abaddon

Mar 17, 2011
House Avernus
Samsung Galaxy A50
POCO M3
Thanks for the screenshot Globe uses LTE band 1 for anchor band on your location.
I tried your method but I'm on note20 ultra 5G U1.
I'm using Smart but it shows not restricted on 5G with n41 band.
5G on my location uses band 3 for anchor band.
Have you done other methods because on my case the combo on LTE anchor band and 5G uses anchor band 41 with n41 5G. Even I removed prune combos or edit it manually.
I confirmed it when I tried to get the UE logs.
Did you try something else before that?

I see,

I just did what OP gave @peacey8 and @wr3cckl3ss1
-Change CSC to VZW
-Removed WCIDMANAGER / UIM Autoselect with adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.cidmanager.
-Unlocked all codes using samFW tool
-Did the procedures and rebooted the device.

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
I see,

-Change CSC to VZW
-Removed WCIDMANAGER / UIM Autoselect with adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.cidmanager.
Thank you for info so I guess it only works on latest S and Note phones.
I think modifying the nv files value is the only way to edit the LTE+5G combo on x55 modems. The problem is I don't know what value and what files to be modified. Someone knows how to do it but he/she is no longer active here.

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
I've done all the steps above, seems the be unlocked, but none of my both simcards are able to get 5G (i've unlocked the n78 band) that's the one used in Chile.
Any advice or smth im doing wrong?

i've got exact same information as screenshot posted after unlock
Are you sure you're in an area with 5G coverage?

Since you have 2 sim cards, did you unlock all the bands for both sim cards? You can see n78 NSA for both Sim 1 and Sim 2?

cokeito

Jun 3, 2022
Are you sure you're in an area with 5G coverage?

Since you have 2 sim cards, did you unlock all the bands for both sim cards? You can see n78 NSA for both Sim 1 and Sim 2?
Yep, did it for both, i see on both simcards the n78 unlocked,
im driving crazy bought the phone on pre-sale on usa to get 5G fast, and until today no way to make this thing work :/
thanks for ur help mate.!

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
Yep, did it for both, i see on both simcards the n78 unlocked,
im driving crazy bought the phone on pre-sale on usa to get 5G fast, and until today no way to make this thing work :/
thanks for ur help mate.!
Does your carrier allow all subscribers to use 5G, or do they restrict it to some plans? Which carrier are you using? And again, are you sure there's 5G in your area?

You said you're in Chile, and I can see that Chile only uses 5G NSA and not SA. Make sure you didn't enable SA as it can cause problems if your provider doesn't use it but is testing it. Basically this option (make sure to disable it for both stacks),

• Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> NR5G SA/NSA Mode Control -> SA DISABLE.

Also, did you try the DISABLE CA COMBO CHECK option?

One more thing, did you make sure 5G is enabled in Settings (phone settings not service menu) -> Connections -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode?

Can you also dial *#*#4636#*#* and then click Phone Info and check what it says on that screen for "EN-DC available", "DCNR Restricted", and "NR Available"? There is also a "Set preferred network type" option there, make sure it is also set to 5G/LTE or any option with 5G.

Keep in mind only one SIM can use 5G at a time. You cannot connect to 5G on both sims. Only the SIM you set as primary SIM will connect to 5G.

Last edited:

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
I see,

-Change CSC to VZW
Can I have a favor again? If you have time can lock to LTE band3 and 5G n41 only if it is still can connect to 5G.
Please send a screenshot again on *#0011# if it is working. Thank you in advance!

dubblecup

Dec 19, 2011
Does your carrier allow all subscribers to use 5G, or do they restrict it to some plans? Which carrier are you using? And again, are you sure there's 5G in your area?

You said you're in Chile, and I can see that Chile only uses 5G NSA and not SA. Make sure you didn't enable SA as it can cause problems if your provider doesn't use it but is testing it. Basically this option (make sure to disable it for both stacks),

• Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> NR5G SA/NSA Mode Control -> SA DISABLE.

Also, did you try the DISABLE CA COMBO CHECK option?

One more thing, did you make sure 5G is enabled in Settings (phone settings not service menu) -> Connections -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode?

Can you also dial *#*#4636#*#* and then click Phone Info and check what it says on that screen for "EN-DC available", "DCNR Restricted", and "NR Available"? There is also a "Set preferred network type" option there, make sure it is also set to 5G/LTE or any option with 5G.

Keep in mind only one SIM can use 5G at a time. You cannot connect to 5G on both sims. Only the SIM you set as primary SIM will connect to 5G.
Hi guys. I have the s20 ultra t-mobile version. I live in the Bahamas and we use the B17 for LTE. Unfortunately it's not enabled and the codes don't work to get to the UE menu. Can you provide a way to get to the UE menu to enable B17?I did it with may s10+ but method no longer works. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dubblecup

Dec 19, 2011
Hey guys. Will this method work for the s20ultra?I'm in the Bahamas and I have the t Mobil version. Unfortunately we use B17 for LTE. I can no longer access service menu to enable it. Will the method in the OP work?Thank you.

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
Hey guys. Will this method work for the s20ultra?I'm in the Bahamas and I have the t Mobil version. Unfortunately we use B17 for LTE. I can no longer access service menu to enable it. Will the method in the OP work?Thank you.
Did you follow the instructions in the OP to unlock secret codes using SamFW FRP Tool first?

dubblecup

Dec 19, 2011
Did you follow the instructions in the OP to unlock secret codes using SamFW FRP Tool first?
No I didn't try it as yet. Just wanted to know if there's any chance that it would work. In the OP credits went out to the guy who started this tutorial (for the s20 line) and now is improved upon for s22. The thing is that non of the codes work in neither stock dialer or Google dialer. So was just wondering if there's a possibility. But will make an attempt at it when I get off from work.

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
No I didn't try it as yet. Just wanted to know if there's any chance that it would work. In the OP credits went out to the guy who started this tutorial (for the s20 line) and now is improved upon for s22. The thing is that non of the codes work in neither stock dialer or Google dialer. So was just wondering if there's a possibility. But will make an attempt at it when I get off from work.
The samfw tool works even on exynos but has limited menu.
I'm using note 20 ultra and it works.

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
The codes didn't work for any of us before unlocking secret codes with SamFW FRP Tool first. I haven't tried it myself on your phone, so I can't confirm it to you, but you have nothing to lose by trying and reporting back.

Also make sure to use the stock dialer, these codes don't work from Google dialer.

dubblecup

Dec 19, 2011
Hi. I tried and it worked. I'm able to get into the service mode. Butt....still can't enable B17 I have navigated the menus up and down but whenever I go back to band selection it's not there. What am I doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    And for those asking about VM app....i full accessibility to use it at my disposal...watch and learn
    Does method 2 work even after a factory reset? or even an update? or if there are csc changes from an update will it revert?
    Everytime you reboot the device...do an update, you have to follow the steps again to get System Shell. Also...with the ability to enable the PRECONFIG menu...everything you set in there stays set.
    What is this?

This is a guide on how to enable all LTE and 5G bands on the US or Canadian S22 series phones by going through the service menu. This guide is mostly based on this S20U guide by mellojosh, but has been adapted for the S22U phone with more information added.

Which bands can be enabled this way?

All bands the phone supports in hardware can be enabled through the service menu. For the S22 Ultra, that includes all Sub-6 bands like n78, and mmWave bands, as well as 5G SA bands, as shown in this screenshot below.

Bands List.jpeg

Which phones does this method support?

This method has been confirmed to work on:
    • Samsung S22 Ultra (S908U, S908U1, S908W).
    • Galaxy Z Fold 4. Thanks @Abaddon.
    This method works on both Android 12 (One UI 4.1) or Android 13 (One UI 5.0 beta).

This method requires your device be on the US firmware (XAA or other US CSC), so as long as you can Odin flash XAA firmware on your device (such as Canadian variant), you should be able to do this.

If you get this method working on your phone that isn't in the known list, post it here and I will add it to the list above.

How To Guide

You will need a Windows computer (or VM) and the Samsung USB Driver installed to do the following steps. Install the USB driver from here before proceeding if you do not have it installed.

A. Flash US Firmware

First, your device must be on US firmware (XAA or other CSC). You can skip this step and go to B if your device is already on US firmware.

If you're not on a US firmware because you have another Snapdragon variant (like Canadian), follow the steps below to flash XAA firmware. Note this will WIPE and FACTORY RESET your device. ALL DATA WILL BE LOST. So backup if you need to.
    1. Download Odin 3.14.4 or latest version.
    2. Download US XAA U1 firmware for your device from SamMobile.com or SamFw.com. For example, for the S22 Ultra, download the XAA firmware for S908U1. Extract the contents of the firmware to somewhere on your computer. You should have 5 files (BL, AP, CP, CSC, HOME_CSC). We won't use HOME_CSC.
    3. Restart your phone and go into download mode. On the S22 Ultra, hold all three power and up + down volume at the same time until the phone starts, then press the up volume key to get into download mode.
    4. Open Odin and connect your phone to your computer with a USB. Odin should say your phone was added.
    5. Click each of the BL, AP, CP, CSC buttons and select the corresponding files from the firmware zip you extracted. For CSC, use the file that starts with CSC and not HOME_CSC (we won't be using HOME_CSC). Do not load anything into USERDATA.
    6. Click start and let it flash the firmware (see the picture below). If it flashed correctly, your phone will be on XAA firmware after it restarts and you will have to set it up again from scratch.
    7. Set up your phone and verify it is on XAA firmware by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Software information -> check that it says XAA/XAA,XAA/OOO under "Software provider software version". OOO here will be your phone's original CSC like XAC which you cannot change and do not need to.
    A - Odin Flash.png

B. Unlock Service Menu Secret Codes

The next step is we need to unlock access to the service menu. Usually this is locked by default, but it might already be unlocked for you.

First check if you can access the service menu by trying each of these ways:
    1. Open dialer and enter *#27663368378# to try to get directly into the service mode main menu. The menu should open after you press the last # character, you shouldn't have to press call.
    2. Open dialer and enter *#73# to get into RF Test mode. Press Band Selection. Press three dots on top right -> Back. Repeat three dots -> back three more times until you get to the service mode main menu.
    3. If either of the above ways works for you to get to the service mode main menu, then you can skip the below steps to unlock the menu and go directly to instructions C.
    If you cannot access the menu with the above codes, then follow these instructions to unlock the secret codes.
    1. Enable USB Debugging in Developer menu.
    2. Download SamFW FRP tool 3.1 or latest version from here.
    3. Open SamFW FRP tool and connect your phone to the computer with a USB.
    4. Using SamFW FRP tool, go to MTP tab and click on "Enable Secret Code for Verizon". See the picture below. Note it works on any US CSC even though it says "for Verizon".
      • If in the program output you see it's getting stuck on "Waiting for DIAG", then dial *#0808# on your phone to open USB settings and select "DM + MODEM + ADB" then press OK. The program should then complete the step and then get stuck on "Disabling DIAG". When it does, using the *#0808# menu again, select "MTP + ADB" this time and press OK. Now the program should complete the step and say that secret codes was unlocked.
    5. Now you should be able to use *#73# for RF test, *#27663368378#* to go directly to service menu. Test it to make sure the codes work and the service menu is opening.
    B - SamFW FRP Tool.png

C. METHOD 1: Use the Service Menu to Unlock All Bands
    • Enter the service menu using either way.
      • Open dialer and enter *#27663368378# to get directly into the service mode main menu.
      • Open dialer and enter *#73# to get into RF Test mode. Press Band Selection. Press three dots on top right -> Back. Repeat three dots -> back three more times until you get to the service mode main menu.
    • Use the service mode to set the following options. Note you can go back between screens with three dots -> back for quicker navigation, but I am just starting each option below from the main menu so it's easy to read.
      1. Enable all LTE and 5G bands.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> SYSTEM -> Next page 4 times -> SET LTE BAND CONFIG -> SET DEFAULT LTE BAND.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> NR5G PRUNE STATUS -> REMOVE NR5G PRUNE.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> GCF -> REMOVE ONLY NR WHITELIST.
        • Optional if you need to enable mmWave bands: Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> Sub6/mmWave -> ALL ENABLE.
        • Optional if you have issues going from LTE to LTE+ (carrier aggregation not working properly): Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> AS -> Next Page -> DISABLE CA COMBO CHECK -> DISABLE ON.
      2. Enable 5G NR features (DSS & CDRX) if needed. These options might already be enabled for you by default.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> AS -> Next Page -> NR CDRX CONTROL -> NR CDRX ENABLE. NR CDRX is 5G power saving mode.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> AS -> Next Page 2 times -> NR DSS CONTROL -> NR DSS ENABLE. NR DSS is 5G Dynamic Spectrum Sharing.
      3. Enable 5G SA if you're lucky enough to have a carrier with standalone 5G networks. This option might be enabled by default already.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> NR5G SA/NSA Mode Control -> SA/NSA ENABLE.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> NR5G SA/NSA Mode Control -> Remove SA permit list.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> Next Page -> NR5G NRDC -> NRDC ENABLE. NRDC is for dual connectivity with Sub6 + mmWave bands in parallel. Only applies to 5G SA networks and only if your carrier uses it.
      4. Restart your phone, then dial *#73# to get into RF Test Mode. Click Band Selection -> Sim 1 or Sim 2 (whichever you use). On this screen if you scroll down, you'll see a list of enabled NR5G bands. Make sure all bands are enabled. See my picture below.
      5. NOTE: Band selection won't be reset with a reboot, but might be reset after a CSC update (or a software update that includes a CSC update). You will have to re-do the service menu settings every update or re-flash of a CSC.
      6. NOTE: If you use an eSIM or a dual-SIM phone with a 2nd SIM, you need to change the NR5G stack before changing the NR5G related options above. Change the NR5G stack to Stack 2 with the following setting first.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> NR5G STACK SELECTION -> Select STACK 2.
      7. OPTIONAL: Now that all bands are enabled and usable, you can use the Band Selection menu under *#73# to selectively disable certain bands if you need to. This is not covered here but that menu is self-explanatory.
      8. If this method isn't working, try METHOD 2 below. You do not need to try METHOD 2 if this method ended up working for you.
    D. METHOD 2: Unlock all bands via Protocol Simulation menu.
    • If METHOD 1 above didn't work or not all bands were unlocked, you can try to unlock all bands by simulating a change in your CSC to GCF (Global Certification Forum). This won't actually change your CSC to GCF, but will change the options in the service menu as if you were on GCF CSC, which should give you access to all SA and NSA bands. Credits to @wr3cckl3ss1 for figuring out this method.
    • To do this method, first enter the service mode main menu using either of the following ways.
      • Open dialer and enter *#27663368378# to get directly into the service mode main menu.
      • Open dialer and enter *#73# to get into RF Test mode. Press Band Selection. Press three dots on top right -> Back. Repeat three dots -> back three more times until you get to the service mode main menu.
    • Using the service menu, change the following options
    1. Go to: Service Mode Main Menu -> PROTOCOL STATE -> PROTOCOL SIMULATION -> IMEI PRE CFG SIMULATION.
    2. In this menu, click [1] AP, then click GCF (last option). Then click [2] NET1 and change it to GCF as well. Do the same for [3] NET2. All GCF.
    3. Press [4] Write. Then restart phone.
    4. Check if all SA bands were unlocked. If not, repeat the band unlocking instructions from METHOD 1 above and then restart the phone and check again.

Enjoy your unlocked LTE and 5G bands!

FYI, I have personally tested this on a Canadian S908W on XAA firmware to enable 5G in Canada. In fact, I was even able to update to One UI 5.0 using the adb sideload method since I was on XAA firmware, and then I repeated the steps above to enable all 5G bands on the beta (service menu was still unlocked). So now I have 5G on One UI 5.0 beta in Canada! The trifecta!

CREDITS

@mellojosh for his guide on service menu band options on the S20U1.
    @wr3cckl3ss1 for his guide on selecting bands from the dialer for the S22 series phones, and for instructions on protocol simulation.
    @bigdave79 for reminding me about needing the Samsung USB Driver for this to work.
    COMING SOON....THE RETURN OF CSC CHANGE WITHOUT ANY COMPUTERS.....still under heavy testing right now but coming soon, as well as other tricks. 😁😁😁

@peacey8 @PapaDocta @Abaddon
    Excellent job sir.
    Good morning, I confirm the method works on the SM-G998U1 with android 13 beta 2, YES IT WORKS
    Anyone that is updating the S22 Ultra to Android 13 and One UI 5, does it keeps the setting or you need to re do the whole process? Also does this method still work? I'm affraid of losing 5G after I update it.
    You might have to re-do the process since the CSC is updated. Yes this method still works on One UI 5. I am on One UI 5 stable and it is working fine on S908U1 (XAA).