How To Guide How to Enable All Bands Through Service Menu on US/CA S23 series (including Sub-6 and mmWave)

Search This thread

AHE_XDA

Mar 20, 2019
Good thing it failed. I wouldn't attempt flashing S918B firmware on the U/U1/W models. You could possibly have a bricked device.
Using this method is very unlikely to result in a bricked device. During the initial software load via patched Odin, Trusted Boot, a component of Knox, would fail the entire write sequence. This would leave with a device in 'Download Mode' where you'd need to re-install your original device software (e.g., S918B).

mrcanngo

Sep 14, 2010
Using this secret menu, is it possible to turn on nfc-f (Felicia) for using nfc payments in Japan, specifically to use mobile suica, their transit pass?

I know nfc already works out of the box for every other country, but Japan uses a proprietary nfc that's only enabled when using a JP version of the phone.

Through testing, I can enable it if I root, change model number and rom, but I'd prefer not to have to wipe my entire phone to achieve this one small feature.

There has been some debate about needing "hardware" installed but this is actually not true anymore. They just disable the nfc-f if it's anything other than a JP version of the device, similar to how they turn off certain bands for 5g etc.

I hope someone knows of a way to unlock it, it would be much appreciated.

dDesuKb

Nov 13, 2012
Felicia is hardware specific and model specific.

You actually have to buy the phone in Japan in order to have NFC-F.

Out of luck.

Reactions: lexcyn

mrcanngo

Sep 14, 2010
Felicia is hardware specific and model specific.

You actually have to buy the phone in Japan in order to have NFC-F.

Out of luck.

Thanks for the reply. While this used to be true, it no longer is.

By rooting your phone and changing phone model numbers to match JP variants, it will allow the nfc-f to work.

You'll see that other members have done this with success as well.

It will however introduce the issue of:

1.) Needing to always use magisk to stay ahead of the curve for issues using banking apps or other digital wallets

2.) Turn on shutter sound for camera usage

3.) Unknown consequences of doing an OTA update, if still even possible

I'd prefer not to root to get it to work.

varun.jaiswal

Jun 8, 2023
Thank You @peacey8 for your hard-work and research to help stranded users like me stuck with S23 Ultra USA Unlocked version in India. I followed the steps and was able to unlock all the bands and the device now works with most of not all 5G network providers in India.

I followed the Protocol Simulation Method first and the bands showed up as Unlocked. However, the phone was only able to latch on to 5G partially. Was able to connect to n28 SA band but unable to connect to n78 Band from the same operator.

I then followed Method 1 using "Service Menu" and this time was able to connect to both the bands.

To All Users in INDIA - I'm able to successfully/fully connect to 'Jio' but 'Airtel' only works partially with few bands.

Question - I'm still new to this and have done this for the first time. I did not Flash the device and hoping that OTA updates will continue to be delivered to my device. Senior members, please confirm.

esi2121

iam using s918b , iknow its notsupported way in this thread , but i need help to enable all5g band for my region
iam using xxv csc , and 5g service around me in coverage but my phone just shown 4g+ connection.
anybody know the truth way to using 5g

aeppler42

Jan 7, 2018
Hi there,

I have an unlocked Galaxy s23 ultra, US version SM-S918U1, XAA. Since I 'm travelling a lot to Germany I wanted to enable 5G for Vodafone and Telekom on the phone. That means the n28 and n78 bands had to be enabled. The process described in this thread worked perfectly and all 5g band including n28 and n78 are enabled now. The status of the selected bands *#73# looks exactly like shown in this guide. But the phone connects only through LTE or LTE+. Putting the same sim card in into a German s23 ultra version brings 5g right away.
What could be the problem. Samsung certainly uses the same modem worldwide?
Any idea would be appreciated.

Helmut

jcsww

Hi there,

I have an unlocked Galaxy s23 ultra, US version SM-S918U1, XAA. Since I 'm travelling a lot to Germany I wanted to enable 5G for Vodafone and Telekom on the phone. That means the n28 and n78 bands had to be enabled. The process described in this thread worked perfectly and all 5g band including n28 and n78 are enabled now. The status of the selected bands *#73# looks exactly like shown in this guide. But the phone connects only through LTE or LTE+. Putting the same sim card in into a German s23 ultra version brings 5g right away.
What could be the problem. Samsung certainly uses the same modem worldwide?
Any idea would be appreciated.

Helmut
Your carrier might be blocking 5G access on foreign devices by reading the model number and IMEI.

Reactions: rifzan and kkjb

anmolkakkar

Apr 23, 2012
Delhi
Quick Questions to anyone reading this and if they can help?

1. Does enabling/unlocking ALL bands per the guide result in heavier battery drain? Can someone comment on their battery life (And share a screenshot maybe)?

2. Does updating the firmware via OTA require us to redo this whole process or does it continue to work?

3. Does clean flashing via ODIN wipe out everything and we need to redo the whole process?

I guess #2 and #3 are somewhat answered in the OP:
"NOTE: Band selection won't be reset with a reboot, but might be reset after a CSC update (or a software update that includes a CSC update). You will have to re-do the service menu settings every update or re-flash of a CSC."

Kindly help as I am currently planning to follow this in India to make my Jio and Airtel 5G bands work!!

@varun.jaiswal / @tej_aesthetics any ideas on the above (tagging you guys specifically since I read you are using this version in India)

Last edited:

anmolkakkar

Apr 23, 2012
Delhi
I followed the steps as mentioned in the OP, and Jio 5G seems to be working although the network is quite poor in my region, hence this question:

The calls icon shows as VoLTE even when the 5G icon shows next to it. Also, upon receiving a phone call, the phone seems to fallback to LTE mode, and when the call ends, immediately shows the 5G icon back. Is that expected and is happening for everyone?

Attachments

• 5g.jpg
    5g.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 45

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
I followed the steps as mentioned in the OP, and Jio 5G seems to be working although the network is quite poor in my region, hence this question:

The calls icon shows as VoLTE even when the 5G icon shows next to it. Also, upon receiving a phone call, the phone seems to fallback to LTE mode, and when the call ends, immediately shows the 5G icon back. Is that expected and is happening for everyone?
It should revert back to LTE if your carrier does not have VoNR or voice over New Radio (5G)

Last edited:

varun.jaiswal

Jun 8, 2023

1. I'm not sure if enabling all bands will result in higher battery usage. I've all bands enabled and did not observe anything similar. If its something which is small and unnoticeable I cannot comment.

2. Which method have you followed to enable bands? If NOT Method 1, please do so. Phone is not able to all Jio bands with Method 2. With Method 1, Jio should work fine. However, with Airtel you will only have partial 5G connectivity (does not connect to n28 band).

3. Install app NetMonster to figure out which band you are connecting to. 700 Mhz (n28) or 3300 MHz (n78)? n28 means higher coverage or distance from cell tower and lower speed <100 Mbps. Higher speed upto > 700 Mbps will be only with n78 but you need to be in close range of 5G tower.

4, I've also noticed switching to LTE during calls. I do not know if this is normal and happens with models made for India or as well or is it a problem specific to us.

5. I'm still waiting for June Security update on my device after making the changes. Slightly worried if I'll get future updates after the changes. Any comments? I've posted a question in this forum but still waiting for updates.

Last edited:

anmolkakkar

Apr 23, 2012
Delhi
1. I'm not sure if enabling all bands will result in higher battery usage. I've all bands enabled and did not observe anything similar. If its something which is small and unnoticeable I cannot comment.

2. Which method have you followed to enable bands? If NOT Method 1, please do so. Phone is not able to all Jio bands with Method 2. With Method 1, Jio should work fine. However, with Airtel you will only have partial 5G connectivity (does not connect to n28 band).

3. Install app NetMonster to figure out which band you are connecting to. 700 Mhz (n28) or 3300 MHz (n78)? n28 means higher coverage or distance from cell tower and lower speed <100 Mbps. Higher speed upto > 700 Mbps will be only with n78 but you need to be in close range of 5G tower.

4, I've also noticed switching to LTE during calls. I do not know if this is normal and happens with models made for India or as well or is it a problem specific to us.

5. I'm still waiting for June Security update on my device after making the changes. Slightly worried if I'll get future updates after the changes. Any comments? I've posted a question in this forum but still waiting for updates.
1. I have also enabled ALL per the process in Method 1 (which worked fine for me!)

2. ^^

3. Do we even have a choice to pick which netowkr tower it connect to using which band, NOPE! So i'm guessing as far as both these bands are enabled, it should be able to automatically pick the relevant tower and give speeds accordingly. I guess I am connected to n28 as you say since I am far from a tower with below average reception.

4. I think it might be Jio's. I tried searching over the net but nothing is super clear. Many say that Jio took back VoNR calling of 5G so a large majority of folks are facing the 5G to LTE switch but there is a subset of folks that do get 5G calling working just fine. I am assuming those are the folks connected to a 5G that's nearby to them (from a distance perspective).

5. You should continue to get regular software upgrades as you did not tamper with the software or anything. You simply unlocked phone's bands. Yeah there's a possibility that we may have to do this process sometime again when there is an update to the CSC/modem part of the software upgrade, so that's always going to be an issue until USA firmware unlocks these bands for us in the software itself in the future.

varun.jaiswal

Jun 8, 2023
They used to have it but probably stopped due to issues in testing. I remember it used to work just fine on my S22 Ultra a couple of months ago.
Found this. Hope this will help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What network are you using your device on, I have unlocked the bands but Airtel don't work as expected even though I see 5G on status bar.
    I have tried with Airtel and Jio SIM. It works for all bands on Jio which means you will get 5G on your cell anywhere jio has 5G coverage. However with Airtel it works on few band(s) and doesn't work on a few.. meaning coverage will be limited.. Airtel works on NonStandalone architecture ..meaning their 5G works on top of 4G network/frequency.. which means a combination of frequencies at any point. No solutionas such on how to make 5G work seamlessly with Airtel.. Guess the only option you have is to port to Jio if you want to use 5G seamlessly.
    I have already unloacked the 5G SA Bands, Can we upgrade the software in the phone?

It constantly asks me to upgrade.
    If it's a monthly patch, it won't most probably impact. But, if it's a major update - like One UI 5 to 5.1 or 6, it will mostly impact and you would need to redo some of the steps mentioned in the original post. I installed One UI 6 beta and all the hotfixes thereafter reset my bands and I had to redo some of the steps - set default LTE band, Disable Prune, Reset NR whitelist.
    Update: Googling for "Samsung USB Drivers" and downloading and installing the version from Oct 2022 did the trick and got me past the "WAITING FOR DIAG" issue.

That said, if I have to redo all the service menu settings after every update, I'm not sure if the trouble is worth it. I will give it an honest go and see how long I last!
    You don't have to redo all the settings. Just 3 of them worked for me - Enable Default LTE band, Clear NR Whitelist and Reset Prune Status.
    Update: Googling for "Samsung USB Drivers" and downloading and installing the version from Oct 2022 did the trick and got me past the "WAITING FOR DIAG" issue.

That said, if I have to redo all the service menu settings after every update, I'm not sure if the trouble is worth it. I will give it an honest go and see how long I last!
    The Samsung USB drivers you found are linked in the OP, you didn't have to Google them lol. Anyhow glad it worked after using them!

Are you able to access *#73# now? Since you said in the other thread you want to use GCF CSC, that dial code should still work after you switch to GCF CSC since you unlocked the code now. Since you're using GCF CSC, the bands might already be unlocked without doing these steps. So switch to GCF CSC and enter band selection with *#73# to see if the bands are unlocked before bothering to try these steps.

And if they're not unlocked, as aps99, you only really have to do those 3 settings to unlock the bands. The rest is just extra for other things.
    Yes, *#73# is now working when the CSC is set to GCF. None of the others do, but at least this is a "sign of life" lol.

Unfortunately, selecting GCF does not unlock or enable the non-standard U1 bands. I had to revert to XAA to make those changes.

I'm glad to hear it's only those 3 settings that need to be changed. But are you on Telus as well? I'm getting worse speeds on Telus than I am with Koodo! 160 Mbps vs 250 Mbps! I wonder if I need to turn CIDManager back on, switch to Telus to "update the config" and then see if I get the insane download speeds that I used to?
    You don't need to switch to XAA to enable the bands. As long as *#73# works from GCF, you can access the engineering menu. You don't need any other code. This is how you access the engineering menu with *#73#.

Open dialer and enter *#73# to get into RF Test mode. Press Band Selection. Press three dots on top right -> Back. Repeat three dots -> back three more times until you get to the service mode main menu.

You shouldn't need to turn on CIDManager if you unlock the bands. All CIDManager does is basically set up the correct bands for your provider.
    What is this?

This is a guide on how to enable all LTE and 5G bands on the US or Canadian S23 series phones by going through the service menu. This guide is a copy of my S22U guide, which is mostly based on this S20U guide by mellojosh, but has been adapted for the S23U phone with more information added.

Who needs this?

Different countries and carriers use different 5G frequency bands, so the phone's software limits 5G bands to your model's country and carrier even though the phone hardware supports more bands. Here are some cases when unlocking all 5G bands could be useful:
    • You live outside the US/Canada but bought a US/Canadian model and want to use 5G in your country that uses different 5G bands than US/Canadian carriers.
    • You live in the US/Canada but are travelling to a different country and want to use their 5G service which uses different 5G bands than US/Canada.
    • You live in the US/Canada but think your carrier is limiting your 5G service for some reason and think that you can optimize it better.
    Which bands can be enabled this way?

All bands the phone supports in hardware can be enabled through the service menu. For the US S23 Ultra, that includes all Sub-6 bands like n78, and mmWave bands, as well as 5G SA bands, as shown in this screenshot below. For the Canadian S23 Ultra, this method will unlock all the same bands as the US model except mmWave (a hardware limitation with the antennas in the Canadian model).

Bands List.jpeg

Which phones does this method support?

This method has been confirmed to work on:
    • Samsung S23 Ultra (S918U, S918U1, S918W).
    • Samsung S22 Ultra (S908U, S908U1, S908W).
    • Galaxy Z Fold 4 and Z Flip 4. Thanks @Abaddon and @otteporihs.
    This method works on both Android 12 (One UI 4.1), Android 13 (One UI 5.0, 5.1), or Android 14 (One UI 6.0).

This method works for both US firmware (XAA or other US CSC) and Canadian firmware. Canadian models do not need to flash XAA firmware, and this method should work directly on Canadian firmware.

If you get this method working on your phone that isn't in the known list, post it here and I will add it to the list above.

How To Guide

You will need a Windows computer (or VM) and the Samsung USB Driver installed to do the following steps. Install the USB driver from here before proceeding if you do not have it installed.

A. Flash US or Canadian Firmware

First, your device must be on US or Canadian firmware (XAA, XAC, or other CSC). You can skip this step and go to B if your device is already on US or Canadian firmware.

Follow the steps below to flash XAA firmware. Note this will WIPE and FACTORY RESET your device. ALL DATA WILL BE LOST. So backup if you need to.
    1. Download Odin 3.14.4 or latest version.
    2. Download US XAA U1 firmware for your device from SamMobile.com or SamFw.com. For example, for the S23 Ultra, download the XAA firmware for S918U1. Extract the contents of the firmware to somewhere on your computer. You should have 5 files (BL, AP, CP, CSC, HOME_CSC). We won't use HOME_CSC.
    3. Restart your phone and go into download mode. On the S23 Ultra, hold all three power and up + down volume at the same time until the phone starts, then press the up volume key to get into download mode.
    4. Open Odin and connect your phone to your computer with a USB. Odin should say your phone was added.
    5. Click each of the BL, AP, CP, CSC buttons and select the corresponding files from the firmware zip you extracted. For CSC, use the file that starts with CSC and not HOME_CSC (we won't be using HOME_CSC). Do not load anything into USERDATA.
    6. Click start and let it flash the firmware (see the picture below). If it flashed correctly, your phone will be on XAA firmware after it restarts and you will have to set it up again from scratch.
    7. Set up your phone and verify it is on XAA firmware by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Software information -> check that it says XAA/XAA,XAA/OOO under "Software provider software version". OOO here will be your phone's original CSC like XAC which you cannot change and do not need to.
    A - Odin Flash.png

B. Unlock Service Menu Secret Codes

The next step is we need to unlock access to the service menu. Usually this is locked by default, but it might already be unlocked for you.

First check if you can access the service menu by trying each of these ways (you only need one way to work):
    1. Open dialer and enter *#73# to get into RF Test mode. Press Band Selection. Press three dots on top right -> Back. Repeat three dots -> back three more times until you get to the service mode main menu.
    2. Open dialer and enter *#27663368378# to try to get directly into the service mode main menu. The menu should open after you press the last # character, you shouldn't have to press call.
    3. If either of the above ways works for you to get to the service mode main menu, then you can skip the below steps to unlock the menu and go directly to instructions C.
    If you cannot access the menu with the above codes, then follow these instructions to unlock the secret codes.

1. Install the Samsung USB drivers from here if you have not already done so (note these are different then the driver's included with Smart Switch).
    2. Enable USB Debugging in Developer menu.
    3. Download SamFW FRP tool 4.0 or latest version from here.
    4. Open SamFW FRP tool and connect your phone to the computer with a USB.
    5. Using SamFW FRP tool, go to MTP tab and click on "Enable Secret Code for Verizon". See the picture below. Note it works on any US or Canadian CSC even though it says "for Verizon".
      • If in the program output you see it's getting stuck on "Waiting for DIAG", then dial *#0808# on your phone to open USB settings and select "DM + MODEM + ADB" then press OK. The program should then complete the step and then get stuck on "Disabling DIAG". When it does, using the *#0808# menu again, select "MTP + ADB" this time and press OK. Now the program should complete the step and say that secret codes was unlocked.
    6. Now you should be able to use *#73# for RF test, or *#27663368378#* to go directly to service menu. Test it to make sure at least one of the codes works and the service menu is opening.
    B - SamFW FRP Tool.png

C. METHOD 1: Use the Service Menu to Unlock All Bands
    • Enter the service menu using either way (you only need one way to work).
      • Open dialer and enter *#73# to get into RF Test mode. Press Band Selection. Press three dots on top right -> Back. Repeat three dots -> back three more times until you get to the service mode main menu.
      • Open dialer and enter *#27663368378# to get directly into the service mode main menu.
    • Use the service mode to set the following options. Note you can go back between screens with three dots -> back for quicker navigation, but I am just starting each option below from the main menu so it's easy to read.
      1. Enable all LTE and 5G bands.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> SYSTEM -> Next page 4 times -> SET LTE BAND CONFIG -> SET DEFAULT LTE BAND.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> PRUNE STATUS -> REMOVE NR5G PRUNE.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> GCF -> REMOVE ONLY NR WHITELIST.
        • Optional if you need to enable mmWave bands on US model: Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> Sub6/mmWave -> ALL ENABLE.
        • Optional if you have issues going from LTE to LTE+ (carrier aggregation not working properly): Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> AS -> Next Page -> DISABLE CA COMBO CHECK -> DISABLE ON.
      2. Enable 5G NR features (DSS & CDRX) if needed. These options might already be enabled for you by default.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> AS -> Next Page -> NR CDRX CONTROL -> NR CDRX ENABLE. NR CDRX is 5G power saving mode.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> AS -> Next Page 2 times -> NR DSS CONTROL -> NR DSS ENABLE. NR DSS is 5G Dynamic Spectrum Sharing.
      3. Enable 5G SA if you're lucky enough to have a carrier with standalone 5G networks. This option might be enabled by default already.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> SA/NSA Mode Control -> SA/NSA ENABLE.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> SA/NSA Mode Control -> Remove SA permit list.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> NRDC -> NRDC ENABLE. NRDC is for dual connectivity with Sub6 + mmWave bands in parallel. Only applies to 5G SA networks and only if your carrier uses it.
      4. Restart your phone, then dial *#73# to get into RF Test Mode. Click Band Selection -> Sim 1 or Sim 2 (whichever you use). On this screen if you scroll down, you'll see a list of enabled NR5G bands. Make sure all bands are enabled. See my picture below.
      5. NOTE: Band selection won't be reset with a reboot, but might be reset after a CSC update (or a software update that includes a CSC update). You will have to re-do the service menu settings every update or re-flash of a CSC.
      6. NOTE: If you use an eSIM or a dual-SIM phone with a 2nd SIM, you need to change the NR5G stack before changing the NR5G related options above. Change the NR5G stack to Stack 2 with the following setting first.
        • Service Mode Main Menu -> UE SETTING & INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> Stack Selection -> Select STACK 2.
      7. OPTIONAL: Now that all bands are enabled and usable, you can use the Band Selection menu under *#73# to selectively disable certain bands if you need to. This is not covered here but that menu is self-explanatory.
      8. If this method isn't working, try METHOD 2 below. You do not need to try METHOD 2 if this method ended up working for you.
    D. METHOD 2: Unlock all bands via Protocol Simulation menu (requires US firmware)
    • If METHOD 1 above didn't work or not all bands were unlocked, you can try to unlock all bands by simulating a change in your CSC to GCF (Global Certification Forum). This won't actually change your CSC to GCF, but will change the options in the service menu as if you were on GCF CSC, which should give you access to all SA and NSA bands. Credits to @wr3cckl3ss1 for figuring out this method.
    • To do this method, first enter the service mode main menu using either of the following ways.
      • Open dialer and enter *#27663368378# to get directly into the service mode main menu.
      • Open dialer and enter *#73# to get into RF Test mode. Press Band Selection. Press three dots on top right -> Back. Repeat three dots -> back three more times until you get to the service mode main menu.
    • Using the service menu, change the following options
    1. Go to: Service Mode Main Menu -> PROTOCOL STATE -> PROTOCOL SIMULATION -> IMEI PRE CFG SIMULATION.
    2. In this menu, click [1] AP, then click GCF (last option). Then click [2] NET1 and change it to GCF as well. Do the same for [3] NET2. All GCF.
    3. Press [4] Write. Then restart phone.
    4. Check if all SA bands were unlocked. If not, repeat the band unlocking instructions from METHOD 1 above and then restart the phone and check again.

Enjoy your unlocked LTE and 5G bands!

CREDITS

@mellojosh for his guide on service menu band options on the S20U1.
    @wr3cckl3ss1 for instructions on protocol simulation.
    Side Note: I did this on a SM-S918B and enabled all bands. The phone now has 5G on T-Mobile in the US.
    can anyone with a German or European S23 say if this is useful for us?
    I would like to know this too. Even though 5G isn't widespread in EU (no mmWave etc.), I'd like to enable it if the phone supports this but is limited/unabled for no reason.
    No unfortunately this method is for US/Canadian phones only.
    The mmWave antenna is expensive. It was like $50 per device during the X55 days and I'd be surprised if that cost has gone down much so it's no surprise manufacturers continue to leave it out when it's not in use in that market. Heck, Google leaves it out of their base model unless you have Verizon or AT&T (even though T-Mobile has mmWave too) and only includes it in the unlocked Pro models.
    From a T-Mobile branded S23 Ultra (SM-S918U) using eSIM:

TMobile_SMS918U_All_Bands.jpg