• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to enable HotSpot without a subscription and without unlocking or rooting.

Search This thread

P3Droid

Oct 23, 2015
You only need your sim tool and the phone.

1) open the sim tray but don't take out the sim card.
2) push the sim tray back in the phone.
3) wait 4-5 seconds and then activate hotspot in the settings->more->tethering

If these directions don't help you can see my video on youtube.

Don't ask how I found this but it works for Verizon and AT&T. I have not tested this on any other carriers.
This works by turning on the hotspot while the phone is provisioning. If you attempt to do this too soon or too late you will trigger the subscription check.
You will need to perform this everytime you want tethering if you turn tethering off or reboot the phone.

br125

Jan 25, 2009
Can you not just add the provisioning line to the build.prop to negate the need to do this?

It's worked since as long as I can remember.

br125

Jan 25, 2009
Need root for build.prop mod

You should be able to use ADB through TWRP recovery once you unlock the bootloader and flash recovery. Pull the build.prop, edit it, then push it back.

Edit: don't mind me, didn't realize this was if you don't want to unlock anything

Last edited:

duckxtales

Feb 27, 2009
You should be able to use ADB through TWRP recovery once you unlock the bootloader and flash recovery. Pull the build.prop, edit it, then push it back.

Edit: don't mind me, didn't realize this was if you don't want to unlock anything

is it the same settings for all the previous androids? is there a tutorial on this? thanks!

d.kozzer

May 4, 2012
Chicago
For T-Mobile, I'm able to do it while completely stock (non-rooted) but unlocked, simply by issuing the following command:

Code:
adb shell settings put global tether_dun_required 0

And also using a user agent spoof extension in Chrome to report that I'm running as googlebot.

Reactions: Tomyk89

Oni_Shadow

Jul 28, 2015
Hi guys, I have a question,
I have been able to use my data connection without any problem on my firefox OS device. Since I use my nexus 5X, the is not possible (a message it telling me to active this feature on att.com event though i am using H2o Carrier (which uses att network) )
So here is my question, how come the nexus 5x which is suppose to be unlock cannot do internet tethering ? Why did it work with FirefoxOS but not Android ? How do they block that ?
Cheers
O_S

churchey360

Oct 6, 2013
Morgantown
Yeah 6.0.1 blocked it you can do it still but when you connect the device to it you can't get internet connection.. Sucks..

Last edited:

AlainD831

Oct 24, 2013
Thank you OP for the tray trick !!! - works great (wait about 3 sec) on Moto X (2013) running 5.1 on Cricket (was AT&T b4)

Might need to root and make it permanent as it's not convenient to take case off and carry a pin around each time, but better than nothing...

Update: got a Nexus 5x with 6.0.1 and the trick works as well, though more often than not hotspot is on BUT no data/LTE symbol. But I got it to work at times. more finicky.

Last edited:

AlainD831

Oct 24, 2013
For T-Mobile, I'm able to do it while completely stock (non-rooted) but unlocked, simply by issuing the following command:

Code:

And also using a user agent spoof extension in Chrome to report that I'm running as googlebot.

how can you write to necessary file without root access ? (from command shell I supposed)
When you mention chrome extension, how does that come into play (browsing on your computer, but how does it get wifi tethering access anyway ?)
Please explain (got Moto X 2013 running 5.1 non rooted originally AT&T but unlocked on Cricket now).

modma

Jun 19, 2006
Hey everyone! So, I'm new to the whole Nexus and rooting thing but have used Android for a while (mostly HTC and Samsung stock devices). I came to Nexus because I thought I'd give it a shot and I'm super pleased with how it works, how fast it is, etc compared to non-Nexus devices. I went and downloaded the Android SDK tools, copy and pasted all the instructions, and got all ready to make this build.prop edit until I realised that the cable is a USB-C and it doesn't plug into my computer. The entire week I had this device I just assumed the charger was USB-A on the brick side and USB-C on the phone side, but alas, it's not. So, silly question, what cables are you all using to do this stuff? Is there an adapter on Amazon you recommend over another because I see a lot!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
Interesting the 5X is different from the OG Nexus 5 in this feature. I'm on the $30/mo t-mobile plan, and I just swipe down from the quick settings menu to turn on the hot spot. My Nexus 5 is not rooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You only need your sim tool and the phone.

1) open the sim tray but don't take out the sim card.
    2) push the sim tray back in the phone.
    3) wait 4-5 seconds and then activate hotspot in the settings->more->tethering

If these directions don't help you can see my video on youtube.

Don't ask how I found this but it works for Verizon and AT&T. I have not tested this on any other carriers.
    This works by turning on the hotspot while the phone is provisioning. If you attempt to do this too soon or too late you will trigger the subscription check.
    You will need to perform this everytime you want tethering if you turn tethering off or reboot the phone.
    I can confirm this works on 5X connected to Sprint. SIM tool has now been added to my keychain.

Code: