• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How-To Enable Two-Button Navigation on the OnePlus 8 Pro

Search This thread

rwilco12

😺 Forum Moderator - RD - AndroidFileHost Rep
Staff member
Feb 25, 2012
www.rwilco12.com
OnePlus 9
I love that OnePlus gives us the option to use either gesture or three-button navigation. But I wish we had two-button navigation too! It's the best of both worlds! The good news is that it's super easy to enable Two Button Navigation with a super quick and easy ADB command. You will need USB Debugging enabled on your phone and ADB installed on your computer.

ADB Command: adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.twobutton

Check out the video here to see it in action.

If you are on Android 11, the first method will not work. Please watch this video for instructions on how to get Two Button Navigation working on Android 11 (root required):

Last edited:

666syco

Dec 16, 2011
Glen Lyon, Pa.
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
I'm not sure which ones you're referring to. If you can give me an example, I might be able to figure something out though! :)

they were the OnePlus gestures found on the OnePlus 6t that's what I came from and the back was a swipe up from the bottom corner of the left or the right side and then swipe up home was straight up from the center and then recents was swipe up and hold and then you can also jump to your last app that you opened by swiping up and to the right.

rwilco12

Staff member
Feb 25, 2012
www.rwilco12.com
OnePlus 9
they were the OnePlus gestures found on the OnePlus 6t that's what I came from and the back was a swipe up from the bottom corner of the left or the right side and then swipe up home was straight up from the center and then recents was swipe up and hold and then you can also jump to your last app that you opened by swiping up and to the right.
So it took me a few minutes to refresh my memory but I figured out what you're looking for! Good news is that I have the answer, bad news is that it's not what you're looking for. :(

When Google rolled out Android 10 they basically gave OEM's requirements on how the navigation bar had to work. The old implementation you're looking for is OnePlus's take on gesture navigation and Google basically says don't do it. So when they rolled out the OnePlus 7, they got rid of that option.

There might still be a way to enable it, but I haven't found anything yet. If I do, I'll be sure to let you know!

Here's a really good write up that explains the change. https://www.xda-developers.com/google-gesture-navigation-android-10/

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

cultofluna

Nov 25, 2015
Google Pixel 4 XL
OPPO Find X2 Pro
So it took me a few minutes to refresh my memory but I figured out what you're looking for! Good news is that I have the answer, bad news is that it's not what you're looking for. :(

When Google rolled out Android 10 they basically gave OEM's requirements on how the navigation bar had to work. The old implementation you're looking for is OnePlus's take on gesture navigation and Google basically says don't do it. So when they rolled out the OnePlus 7, they got rid of that option.

There might still be a way to enable it, but I haven't found anything yet. If I do, I'll be sure to let you know!

Here's a really good write up that explains the change. https://www.xda-developers.com/google-gesture-navigation-android-10/
Yes should be nice...
On 6T Android10 , we have both options to choose, google implementation and this one from OnePlus, for gesture navigation..

Reactions: rwilco12

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com

FWIW, Google doesn't force OEMs to get rid of their own gesture implementation - they just have to hide it behind one extra Settings layer. For example, on the OPPO Find X2 Pro running ColorOS 7.1, you can still enable the swipe-up gestures (the same one from older versions of OxygenOS) as well as Google's full-screen gestures.

rwilco12

Staff member
Feb 25, 2012
www.rwilco12.com
OnePlus 9
FWIW, Google doesn't force OEMs to get rid of their own gesture implementation - they just have to hide it behind one extra Settings layer. For example, on the OPPO Find X2 Pro running ColorOS 7.1, you can still enable the swipe-up gestures (the same one from older versions of OxygenOS) as well as Google's full-screen gestures.

Thanks for the clarification friend!

And long time no see! We need another Android BBQ!

akri1337

Apr 8, 2012
+1
coming from op6 and im very used to the op6 gestures..
i always forward whatsapp messages with the "news" gesture haha
i/we need to get rid of google assistant to pop up
PLEASE!!! :)

rwilco12

Staff member
Feb 25, 2012
www.rwilco12.com
OnePlus 9
Another one for the 11 long bug list...

I wish it was a bug! Unfortunately, it's 100% by design. With Android 10, Google basically retired any navigation options that weren't their gesture or three-button options. Manufacturers can still include their own options but they have to do it in a submenu and can't use the Google framework files for it. They basically have to repack a bunch of files to get their stuff in the right spot on the menus, to get the overlay to work correctly, and then they have to still push the Google options as the default. It's just not cost-effective for OnePlus (or any manufacturer other than maybe Samsung) to use another option now. This method worked because OnePlus already had the work done on the framework, they just didn't update the menu to show their navigation options. With Android 11, there was enough of a rebase going on that they didn't go through the effort of adding it back in. But hey, this is XDA. I'm sure we'll see some mods in the future that will bring it back though! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I love that OnePlus gives us the option to use either gesture or three-button navigation. But I wish we had two-button navigation too! It's the best of both worlds! The good news is that it's super easy to enable Two Button Navigation with a super quick and easy ADB command. You will need USB Debugging enabled on your phone and ADB installed on your computer.

ADB Command: adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.twobutton

Check out the video here to see it in action.

If you are on Android 11, the first method will not work. Please watch this video for instructions on how to get Two Button Navigation working on Android 11 (root required):
    Any way to do this on 11 yet?
    Me and my friend hacked together a way to do it with a magisk module if youre up for it.
    Edit: once this is installed run the command in the original post
    Module is linked here:

I'm not sure which ones you're referring to. If you can give me an example, I might be able to figure something out though! :)