How To Guide How-To Enable Two-Button Navigation on the OnePlus 9 with Android 11!

Search This thread

rwilco12

😺 Recognised Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Hey friends! I don't know about you guys, but I really dislike the latest implementation of Gesture Navigation and the old 3-Button Navigation bar makes me feel like I'm stuck back on Ice Cream Sandwich! It made me really sad when Google forced all the OEMs to ditch 2-Button Navigation. Fortunately, we can now get it back! Even on Android 11!!

You will need USB Debugging enabled on your phone and ADB installed on your computer. You will also need your phone to be rooted with the latest version of Magisk installed.

It's a super easy process and all it takes is installing one Magisk module and an ADB command. I've created two versions of the module, one with the standard height nav bar and another with a shorter one that takes up less space on the display. You can find both versions of the module here: https://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.php?dir=Files/Misc+Files/Magisk+Modules/OnePlus+Oxygen+OS+11+-+Two-Button+Navigation

After installing the module, all you have to do is go into ADB and run this command.
adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.twobutton

Here's a helpful video we recorded that should help you through the process.

rwilco12

😺 Recognised Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Wait... Isn't that just the Pixel navigation?
It was available on the Pixel 3 but the official name was "2-Button Navigation".

Some OEMs, like OnePlus, included it in their Android 9 implementations but then they were supposed to phase it out with Android 10. OnePlus left the app in place but hid the menu option to enable it, so you would enable it with ADB. With Android 11, OnePlus took it out completely. The Magisk module adds it back so you can activate it via ADB. :)