• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to enable USB debugging with broken screen

Search This thread

Nuxxy

Dec 17, 2015
www.nuxxy.xyz
Today my Galaxy S4 broke and the screen shows nothing and the touch does not work. I know its broken by the fact its shadered too. Im getting a new phone but I need to get some things off of it before I do but there is one fatal flaw... USB debugging is off. This means i can't use adb or any programs like [email protected] to get the files off or enable debugging. Iv been spending hours trying to figure out how to get my pictures and files off but with no luck and im getting kinda frustrated.

I am using a Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.2 and it is Rooted with SuperUser, if that will help at all.

Any way I can get my pictures and files off is welcome, but please do not just point me to a different forum as iv been looking for hours and can't find anything. Google was not in my favor this time...

Also note I am not using a SD card, kinda dumb on my part...

please help...

Last edited:

baudbox

Nov 16, 2014
Paris
apps.baudbox.fr
I don't really know if you're on a custom rom but found something with Kies

Kies will not let you access your phone unless you unlock the screen on the device, this can be done relatively easily!
Go onto the Samsung website and click the 'find my phone' button (or simply google this).
Log in and there will be an option on the left hand side of the screen to unlock your screen remotely, click this and when the progress bar filled it will say 'your phone is now unlocked'.
Connect with your USB Cable and Kies will allow you access to your files.

This just happened to me! Phone works but screen and LCD broken and unresponsive. I had a screen lock too so what I did was I took off the back plate, removed the battery, and unscrewed the six screws to uncover the PCB board under the back housing. Then I carefully disconnected all the tiny ribbon connectors. I waited a minute just to be superstitious and then reconnected all the ribbon connectors and put everything back to how it was. Then I downloaded Kies from the Samsung website, plugged my phone into a computer via USB and was able to view all my files! Something about disconnecting the PCB board resets the default settings to factory state but doesn't delete any data at all.

Good luck and I hope this helps with new ideas

Nuxxy

Dec 17, 2015
www.nuxxy.xyz
I don't really know if you're on a custom rom but found something with Kies

Good luck and I hope this helps with new ideas

The first one with "Find my phone" doesn't work anymore, plus i don't have a samsung account i use Google for everything.
The second one i don't want to open up my phone because im using it with US cellar on a 2-year contract, meaning if i totally break it (not just the screen like it is now), then i wont be able to trade it back in and get at least some of my money back.