How To Guide How to Enable Volte and 5G Without Permanent Root on Xperia 5 III and 1 III

Search This thread

shoaib130088

Sep 18, 2020
India
61.2.A.0.410 update successfully and volte wifi calling and
5G work fine Thanks @Yeme

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230322-141632.png
    Screenshot_20230322-141632.png
    315.1 KB · Views: 196

bentree

Apr 30, 2011
cooktown
Sony Xperia 1 III
So guys, not so happy days...
Yesterday I was prompted for an update to 61.2.a.0.410, so I decided to do an install via newflasher.
I deleted all .ta files, i deleted all user data .sin so data wouldn't be wiped, and I also went and deleted all three modem related .sin files. Flashing went on ok, but..
Unfortunately the IMS registration won't go through even after multiple attempts with Shizuku and PixelIMS.
Any ideas for future updates?

Hmm, that's not the way to do it. All you needed was to remove just modem.sin and choose option (when prompted) on newflasher to keep user data.
Can't 100% say for sure that what you did broke IMS and VOLTE but I'm 99% positive it is what caused it. I honestly can't offer any other steps, other than to start at the beginning and go through the bootloader unlock all again.

Jun 29, 2013
Sony Xperia 5 III
Hmm, that's not the way to do it. All you needed was to remove just modem.sin and choose option (when prompted) on newflasher to keep user data.
Can't 100% say for sure that what you did broke IMS and VOLTE but I'm 99% positive it is what caused it. I honestly can't offer any other steps, other than to start at the beginning and go through the bootloader unlock all again.
Okay, I will do so, and I will keep in mind what you said here by the time the next update comes by.

Reactions: bentree

ralf_waldo

I think LAHAINA is only for Xperia III's, check with EFS Explorer the device HW_DSDS_LA and see if the folders policyman and modem appear. If they appear, continue with the guide as normal.
Hi @Yeme I check HW_DSDS_LA and found some files as below in screenshot. Was able to find policyman. Should I go ahead and continue to add mbn profile?.

1683302445197.png

1683302506310.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, Thanks to @johndaniel, @htcmage, @gorEisberg @Forbesii @morphvale @arjun_m4 for sharing all the information and files required for this guide.

FIRST THING FIRST: Data is priceless. Always backup before you modify your phone software.

Disclaimer: Not every carrier in the world support VoLTE or VoWiFi. Please ask your carrier first to get more info if you don't know if they provide support to VoLTE and 5G. Tested on a Xperia 5 III (XQ-BQ72).

Prerequisites:

* Xperia 1 III or Xperia 5 III (This guide works on Android 12 and 13)

* Windows Computer

* Firmware for your device

* USB Cable

Downloading Firmware

Preparing the Device for Rooting

* Back up all the data from your device.
    • Make sure the device is supported for Bootloader unlock by opening the dialer and enter the code *#*#7378423#*#* and then press Service Info -> Configuration.
    • If the Bootloader unlock status is Yes, then you’re lucky and continue the rest of the guide.
    • Visit https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/ and Select your device and enter IMEI and get the code.
    • Enable Developer Options and then Enable OEM Unlocking and USB debugging on your device.
    • Download Platform tools for Windows using this link
      https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
    • Open CMD and go to the Platform-tools directory and enter the below command:
      adb reboot bootloader
    • Once it’s in bootloader mode or fastboot mode you will see blue light then type this command on CMD:
      fastboot oem unlock 0xYOURKEY
    • Wait for the reply on cmd and then type
      fastboot reboot
    • Now your device is Unlocked.
    • After reboot, configure your phone without entering Google Account's, we don't need this now, just connect your phone with a Wifi Network

Rooting

• Download and Install Magisk in your phone from here
    • In your computer, open the firmware folder you have downloaded and look for boot.sin file it looks something like boot_X-FLASH-ALL-4BA8.sin with around 96MB size (might look different for other versions and regions)
    • Download UnSin Exe from https://xdaforums.com/t/tool-unsin-sin-v3-v4-v5-unpacker-v1-13.3128106/ and then drag and drop the boot.sin this will give you boot.img
    • Rename the boot_X-FLASH-ALL-4BA8.img into boot.img (easier to flash) and then using Magisk Manager to patch it.
    • Just don’t delete the original boot.img we need that for the re-locking bootloader.
    • Now copy the magisk_patched.img into the Platform-tools folder and rename it into boot_magisk.img
      adb reboot bootloader
    • Once in fastboot mode type this command
      fastboot flash boot boot_magisk.img
    • Wait for it and then type
      fastboot reboot
    • After restarting your phone, open magisk and verify it's rooted.

How to extract your MBN files from your device's firmware​

• After rooting your phone, you can use a file explorer (in my case I use Solid Explorer, you can download it from here if you want).
    • Select the folder root inside the app and then look for your .mbn files searching in this path:
      Code:
      root/vendor/firmware_mnt/modem_pr/mcfg/configs/mcfg_sw/generic/(area)/(operator)/Commercial/mcfg_sw.mbn
    • Copy your mbn file to a normal folder in your phone, like "downloads" and then copy that file again to your computer.

Enabling 5G and Volte

adb shell
      su
      setprop persist.usb.eng 1
    • Allow the access in Magisk after entering the su command.
    • If the phone, asks for Allow access press Deny.
    • Download QPST from https://qpsttool.com/ and install, also, you can find the Qualcomm Drivers inside the zip, install them.
    • After that, it should show up 3 Xperia on the device manager and install one by one manually using Qualcomm driver just youtube this part. Use Qualcomm USB diagnostic 9091 or 9081.

• REMEMBER: To configure modem files in Efs explorer or flash the MBN file it is required to enter the following commands in adb:
      adb devices (to start the usb debugging, allow your computer if is neccesary)
      adb shell
      su
      setprop persist.usb.eng 1

• Open QPST Configurator, check the list and find which COM port corresponds to "LAHAINA". Go to the device manager and disable the rest, ONLY KEEP THE PORT FOR LAHAINA. Quit any QPST tools after this.
    • Open command line in the EfsTools folder, type
      Code:
      ./EfsTools.exe efsInfo
      and press enter. No error should occur if you configured correctly, and the COM port in step 3 should be shown.
    • I attached some mbn files on this post, check if some of them are compatible with your carrier.
    • Select the mbn file from the mbn folder. Find the mbn file for your carrier. If you're using a secondary operator, please use the mbn file for the main operator (e.g. Telcel -> use ATT mbn). Copy the mcfg_sw.mbn to the root of the EfsTools folder, open a terminal inside this folder (shift + right click = open a new Powershell Window) then type.
      Code:
      ./EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -v
      and press enter.
    • The program will overwrite your modem information updating it to the mbn file you flashed.
    • Open EFS Explorer and select LAHAINA if the name is there otherwise try one by one until you see a bunch of folders.
    • Once all the folders are showing up go to Policyman folder and copy carrier_policy.xml attached in this post and paste it there.
    • Restart the device.
    • You should now have the Speed of 5G or 4G+ and Volte enabled.
    • Don’t stop here.

Time to go back to Stock (Unroot)

adb reboot bootloader
    • Remember the original boot.img we have before patching copy that file into platform tools and replace it with the patched boot_magisk.img
    • Then type this command:
      fastboot flash boot boot.img
    • Once that’s done then type this command:
      fastboot oem lock
    • Wait for the response and then type this command:
      fastboot reboot
    • Once that’s done your device should format and bootloader locked and back to stock ROM with 5G and Volte enabled.

Enabling VOLTE Options after re-lock bootloader and unroot.​

• Go to Playstore and install Shizuku app.
    • With the app opened, open up a terminal and write
    • Code:
      Code:
      adb shell sh /sdcard/Android/data/moe.shizuku.privileged.api/start.sh
    • to start it
    • Check the app. It should say Shizuku is running.
    • Download and install this apk
    • In your app drawer find Pixel IMS app, open it and click on allow all the time for "Allow Pixel IMS to access Shizuku"
    • Hit the enable VoLTE button at the lower left.
    • Go to settings, mobile data settings and you will find the enable Volte Option or 4G Call.
    • Also, it kept working after uninstalling Pixel IMS and Shizuku apps.
    • You can restart the device and the Volte/5G will remain active.
    • Type
      Code:
      *#*#4636#*#*
      in the phone original dialler. Select Phone Information, press the dots at the upper-right corner and select IMS Status, you can check if the IMS status is registered.
    • Now, you can enjoy VoLTE, VoWiFi, and even 5G (depends on your carrier's support).

How to Update your phone keeping your flashed mbn and carrier policy files.​

Thanks to @bentree for the great idea, I just updated my phone with the firmware released today using newflasher and removing the modem files from the folder.

• DON'T UPDATE USING OTA, download your most recent firmware with XperiFirm.
    • Download Newflasher (I'll attach the file on this post)
    • Extract the Newflasher files from the .rar file and copy them to the firmware's folder.
    • Remove the modem files from the folder, personally I removed these ones:
      • modem_X-FLASH-ALL-XXXX.sin
      • modemst1_X-FLASH-ALL-XXXX.sin
      • modemst2_X-FLASH-ALL-XXXX.sin
    • Open the NewFlasher.exe file and follow the steps in the command prompt.
    • Flash keeping your data.
    • After rebooting, your phone will boot as normal, but your will notice the Volte and VoWifi options are missed.
    • Repeat this step (Enabling VOLTE Options after re-lock bootloader and unroot).
    • Enjoy!
    Jio 5G and volte WiFi calling work fine in India
    Guys,
    I bought Xperia 5 III Japan AU version(SOG05) some time back and from then was in the quest of searching of a method that can enable VoLte and VoWifi without rooting or unlocking the bootloader. Especially this version has the "Bootloader Unlock: No" thus leaving with no option to root even if i wanted to (Ofcourse factor unlock software can do the job but it costs). Have gone through hundreds of posts but did not find any effective or easy way to get the job done.

Today I just tried experimenting with Shizuku app(from the play store) and pixel IMS app (latest version downloaded from git hub) on my Xperia 5 III which has "bootloader unlock: NO" and am happy to say that i was able to Enable VoLTE/VoWifi/VoNR. I have tested with Jio and Airtel(Indian carriers) and can confirm that VoLTE and VoWifi are working. For some reason, both Airtel and Jio say my device is not 5G compatible(Will take the fight for some other day ;)). This is a Japan AU version Xperia 5 III which is not rooted nor any kind of tweak done. Just with out of the box device, pixel IMS and shizuku app this was achieved.
    @bentree
    Here is a short video of the installation I tried for the USB drivers
    Direct driver installation:

View attachment 5983605

Legacy hardware way:

View attachment 5983603
    Ok so I think I know what you are doing wrong.
    1- In the unzipped QPST file, there should be a folder called "Driver" It is an .exe installer. Run it First and reboot computer.
    2- Reconnect phone and activate the diagnostic modem via adb using "setprop persist.usb.eng 1"
    3- open device manager and find the 3 unknown devices.
    4- select one and choose update driver.
    5- select "Browse my computer for drivers" and then choose "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
    6- select "Ports" from the list, then scroll down and select "Qualcomm Incorporated"
    7- from that list find the one called "Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9091"
    8- do this for the other 2 unknown devices.
    note# I have included a picture of the driver name to make things easier for you.
    Let me know how you go :)
    I had to use this command to get it to switch modes correctly, but I'm on a crdroid rom.
    Code:
    su
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    # then launch qpst