How to enable Youtube HDR mode for the Mate 10

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
The Mate 10 range support HDR10 (High Dynamic Range videos). Currently the only way to view a HDR video is to download a HDR video with the HEVC codec in MP4 format and view it with the built in video player. If you watch a HDR video in YouTube, it won't be in HDR, despite the title saying so.

YouTube have updated their YouTube app for some devices that support HDR to show true HDR videos. Currently they are the Pixel, Xperia Premium, Galaxy S8, Note 8 and LGV30 I believe. Sadly not the Mate 10.

However there is a workaround.

1) Install the modded iYTBP YouTube app. Follow the guide in the first few posts. No need to root or flash. Just install the relevant apks.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-iytbp-injected-youtube-background-t3560900

2) Alternatively, the direct folder is here. Choose to install either the standard white UI or the black UI:

https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=226449

Not only will this app enable background play, picture in picture, pinch to zoom to fill screen and get rid of ads, but you can also spoof it to be one of the officially supported phones to enable HDR mode for our lovely Mate 10s.

3) To be able to login to your YouTube account, you need to install an apk called MicroG. Here is the direct link:

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=961840155545591117

If your YouTube history is not working, you might have two accounts in one - your YouTube account and your Google account. Merge the two accounts together using the desktop YouTube website. If you are using an adblocker, make sure you whitelist *s.youtube.com.

4) Once both apks are installed, go to the Library tab, then tap on your profile icon and then tap on Settings. Tap on iYTBP Settings and tap on the About section several times to enable a hidden menu. Tap on Codec Override menu and from here you can choose to spoof either software or hardware HDR.

5) When you find a HDR video - like in this HDR playlist...

HDR Launch Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyqf6gJt7KuGArjMwHmgprtDeY8WDa8YX

...play the video and tap on the 3 dots and the video qualities will show HDR next to them and choose 1080p HDR. Sadly 1440p HDR has been removed as the frame rate was not great!

6) You can either keep the un-modded YouTube app on your phone and use it for different accounts or you can disable it altogether by going to Apps in System Settings.

Enjoy and thumbs up if it helps!

Attachments

mrmajor247

Feb 20, 2012
If your YouTube history is not working, you might have two accounts in one - your YouTube account and your Google account. Merge the two accounts together using the desktop YouTube website. If you are using an adblocker, make sure you whitelist *s.youtube.com.

Enjoy and thumbs up if it helps!

How exactly do you merge the two accounts together?

Last edited:

palexr

Jul 11, 2009
Have followed the instruction on post #3 for the non-root version (just download and install the apk) and nothing. I don't get the HDR option on the clips.

I must be missing something?

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
The only problem is history is not working. Otherwise its great.
It work with microG, or in rooted phone (like mine)

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Have followed the instruction on post #3 for the non-root version (just download and install the apk) and nothing. I don't get the HDR option on the clips.

I must be missing something?
You need to update to latest version (12.45.56)

Last two updates broke HDR

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
My approach is to never update anything if it works.
My mistake. Doh!

I forgot to tap the about section several times to enable developer mode. The HDR toggles are back.

So on our Mate 10s, which do you guys think give you a better result? Software or Hardware HDR choice?

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
My mistake. Doh!

I forgot to tap the about section several times to enable developer mode. The HDR toggles are back.

So on our Mate 10s, which do you guys think give you a better result? Software or Hardware HDR choice?
Since our hardware is actually capable,

I guess hardware option is better ?

palexr

Jul 11, 2009
It work with microG, or in rooted phone (like mine)

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

You need to update to latest version (12.45.56)

Last two updates broke HDR
I am obviously completely missing something. Just not getting anything at all. I have downloaded the latest version and still nothing.

I am going for the rootless one. You just install it right? Or are there any other steps I need to do? Thanks.

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
I am obviously completely missing something. Just not getting anything at all. I have downloaded the latest version and still nothing.

I am going for the rootless one. You just install it right? Or are there any other steps I need to do? Thanks.
You already enable the hidden menu right ?