[HOW TO] Extract Rom.zip From RUU

Search This thread

Inside 4ndroid

Dec 13, 2012
UK
i4studio.co.uk
Extracting ROM files from HTC RUU

Official HTC ROM updates are released as RUU (ROM Update Utility), which you run on your (Windows) PC to get the target device updated automatically.

Some of the big brains in the Android community release RUUs re-packaged into signed update files,
which in turn allow for whatever ROM customization you can imagine.

In this how to I will explain how to extract ROM files from a RUU image,
which you can then customize and use to flash your device without the fear of a new bootloader possibly making your device unrootable.

Requirements :

Windows PC,
Microsoft Process Monitor,
File Archiver capable of extracting ZIP files(eg, 7ZIP),
Official HTC RUU for your Android device.

The process of extracting ROM files from a RUU is really straightforward.
The idea behind it is that the self-contained update utility first needs to unpack the update payload into a temporary folder before pushing it onto the device.

This is when we grab the ROM file...

1. download the official RUU
2. start Process Monitor.
3. press CTRL+L
4. change "Architecture" to "Process Name"
5. leave the "is" field as it is
6. in the empty field copy and paste the name of your
RUU file (eg, RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_HTC_WWE_3.12.405.1_Radio_12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M_release_225512_signed.exe)
7. click "Add"
8. change "Process Name" to "Path"
9. change "is" to "Contains"
10. in the blank field type "rom.zip" (without quotes)
11. click add

Click "OK" to set the filter and then run the RUU file.

Once the utility starts switch back to Process Monitor and look for an entry in the "Path" column that ends with "\rom.zip".

Right click on that line and select "Jump to..."

this will open a Windows Explorer window in the folder which contains the zipped ROM files :)

Copy the "rom.zip" file to some other folder, outside of the temp RUU folder tree (eg, desktop)
Once copied, close Process Monitor and the RUU utility.

The copied "rom.zip" file contains the following files:

android-info.txt - list of CIDs this RUU will flash to,
boot.img - root file system image,
hboot (followed by a version string) - boot-loader update,
radio.img - radio driver update,
recovery.img - recovery partition image,
splash1_Hero_320x480.nb0 - boot loader splash image,
system_rel.img - system partition image,
userdata.img - data partition image.

You can now, among many other things, root the ROM
and then flash the updated boot.img and all the other image files on to your device using Recovery​

cowdude

Jan 16, 2013
rom.zip corrupted

I followed the directions and like another post in here procmon shows a blank screen. I went to task manager and opened processes and saw when it ran then clicked open file location and found it. I did this twice and both zips are corrupt. (used winzip)

error [D:\android apps\EVO root\EVO\rom.zip]: start of central directory not found; Zip file corrupt.
Possible cause: file transfer error
when I close the RUU all the files in that folder disappear so you have to leave the RUU running while you copy the zip file or it's gone.
At least that's what I saw.

Last edited:

cowdude

Jan 16, 2013
update to last post

I found a zip repair tool and was able to repair and extract the 1.10.653.2 RUU rom capture. I will have to try to run it later. If anyone gets corrupted zip error, Zip Repair pro will repair it.

Reactions: Sathirian

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
To get the rom zip without any errors just run the ruu.exe file, when the box with a picture of a phone pops up, click start on pc, type in "run" and click on run then in that box that pops up, type in %temp% and click ok. Another window pops up then just scroll down to the most recent folder and rom.zip will be in there, if not it will be in the next folder.

Munto

Feb 18, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Hi,

when I try to open the rom.zip I get an error message, it just said it cannot open with 7zip and with windows it says its invalid.

I tried downloading the RUU multiple times but still the same error. I rune the RUU as administrator.

Tried copying it over to different locations and then open it.

RUU_ENRC2B_U_JB_45_O2_UK_1.14.206.13_Radio_3.1204.167.31_release_289474_signed

HTC ONE X+

Thank you

Update:

I used Zip Repair Pro.. however there is no boot.img inside the repaired zip -_-

Last edited:

Sinirlan

May 11, 2011
For those which have problem with making Process Monitor detect RUU temp folder, make sure You add whole file name of RUU including .exe at the end.

i_4_u89

Oct 17, 2011
mumbai
htc RUU Rom

Official HTC ROM updates are released as RUU (ROM Update Utility), which you run on your (Windows) PC to get the target device updated automatically.

Some of the big brains in the Android community release RUUs re-packaged into signed update files,

which you can then customize and use to flash your device without the fear of a new bootloader possibly making your device unrootable.

Requirements :

Windows PC,

The idea behind it is that the self-contained update utility first needs to unpack the update payload into a temporary folder before pushing it onto the device.

3. press CTRL+L
RUU file (eg, RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_HTC_WWE_3.12.405.1_Radio_12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M_release_225512_signed.exe)
7. click "Add"
11. click add

Once the utility starts switch back to Process Monitor and look for an entry in the "Path" column that ends with "\rom.zip".

this will open a Windows Explorer window in the folder which contains the zipped ROM files :)

Copy the "rom.zip" file to some other folder, outside of the temp RUU folder tree (eg, desktop)

and then flash the updated boot.img and all the other image files on to your device using Recovery​

this is good working 100% thank you :good:

jpwhre

Aug 3, 2008
Tucson
You can open the zip. Go back a page n try the way i said.
note path is desktop (last post showed from temp folder) and i still get same results. did some searching and aperantly htc now signs their zip files and they can't be opened anymore. having usb issues that causes fastboot force close errors and need to be able to flash boot.img thru flashify app to return it to stock. ran the htcguru reset rom that uses aroma installer to return to stock that lets me take ota's but i get qualcom location force close and other custom roms give me issues forcing me to reset phone to stock every few days with guru installer. flashing recovery in fastboot is a chore as well. I have s-off and can keep it, but doing fastboot oem lock wont relock the bootloader, even though it shows success in cmd line. i can cid and super cid with fastboot.

it leaves me at a point where i really need to pull everything out of the rom.zip file and it wont open.

pic 1, 7zip wont open archive on desktop
pic 2, how i get recovery to flash
pic 3, results from running RUU

i have to reboot device, set comand to reboot bootloader, set command to flash recovery all faster than phone will do all commands to get it to flash, and RUU doesnt work that fast. i know im on sprint with htc one m7, but google search "extract htc zip" "extract rom.zip" both lead to this thread as top result. no other searches will tell me how to open the archive, except one that resulted in "htc signed zips can no longer be opened"

Reactions: uranmorina

SyPete

Mar 15, 2015
Did HTC change the way they create the exe? I don't find it, the biggest file is data1.cab file that I can't extract.

I'm trying to extract the stock rom for an ATT HTC One Mini (m4) because RUU keeps crashing on me and won't install. I am also rooted with S-off.

If anybody can help me get the stock m4 rom so I can go back to stock, I would really appreciate it.

Did HTC change the way they create the exe? I don't find it, the biggest file is data1.cab file that I can't extract.

I'm trying to extract the stock rom for an ATT HTC One Mini (m4) because RUU keeps crashing on me and won't install. I am also rooted with S-off.

If anybody can help me get the stock m4 rom so I can go back to stock, I would really appreciate it.

No they didn't change it. Some ruu's use a different format requiring the use of a tool called unruu instead of trying to capture the zip file when using the exe (I just learned this today). I've gone ahead and used unruu and the resulting zips have been put in a single tar file. you can download it from here for about 30 days after which ill have to delete the file. also i dont know which zip has what in it.

gandolf007

Feb 6, 2011
hi

master how to open Zip firmware !!?
i want to open zip firmware (PM60IMG.zip Desire 400)with 7zip ! but shows below error :
"can not open file PM60IMG.zip az archive "

how to pass this encryption ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements :

Windows PC,

3. press CTRL+L
    7. click "Add"
    11. click add

To get the rom zip without any errors just run the ruu.exe file, when the box with a picture of a phone pops up, click start on pc, type in "run" and click on run then in that box that pops up, type in %temp% and click ok. Another window pops up then just scroll down to the most recent folder and rom.zip will be in there, if not it will be in the next folder.
    FYI - there is new tool which provides extraction, decryption and inflation of the ROM images and firmware. See here ->https://xdaforums.com/chef-central/android/tool-universal-htc-ruu-rom-decryption-t3382928
    update to last post

I found a zip repair tool and was able to repair and extract the 1.10.653.2 RUU rom capture. I will have to try to run it later. If anyone gets corrupted zip error, Zip Repair pro will repair it.
    You can open the zip. Go back a page n try the way i said.
    note path is desktop (last post showed from temp folder) and i still get same results. did some searching and aperantly htc now signs their zip files and they can't be opened anymore. having usb issues that causes fastboot force close errors and need to be able to flash boot.img thru flashify app to return it to stock. ran the htcguru reset rom that uses aroma installer to return to stock that lets me take ota's but i get qualcom location force close and other custom roms give me issues forcing me to reset phone to stock every few days with guru installer. flashing recovery in fastboot is a chore as well. I have s-off and can keep it, but doing fastboot oem lock wont relock the bootloader, even though it shows success in cmd line. i can cid and super cid with fastboot.

it leaves me at a point where i really need to pull everything out of the rom.zip file and it wont open.

pic 1, 7zip wont open archive on desktop
    pic 2, how i get recovery to flash
    pic 3, results from running RUU

i have to reboot device, set comand to reboot bootloader, set command to flash recovery all faster than phone will do all commands to get it to flash, and RUU doesnt work that fast. i know im on sprint with htc one m7, but google search "extract htc zip" "extract rom.zip" both lead to this thread as top result. no other searches will tell me how to open the archive, except one that resulted in "htc signed zips can no longer be opened"