[HOW-TO][EXYNOS/SNAPDRAGON] Root S20 series and upgrade firmware

Search This thread

Matce

Jul 27, 2008
Now VA8 is out ..... ANYBODY updated A11 to A12 with root/TRWP without data-reset!?

serajr

Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer
Apr 21, 2011
São Paulo - SP
cant wait it, pls pm, thanks!!
I have written some lsposed modules (for my personal use), but ofc I can share them here:

OneUI_4_Camera_X_v1.0.0.apk
- Shows/enables camera shooting sound menu in settings

OneUI_4_Music_X_v1.0.1.apk (requires samsung stock home launcher and music version 16.2.28.9+ apps)
- Changes samsung music widget (one row widget only) layout to show album art in full size
- Adds 7 audio waves animation styles to the widget background to choose from
See instruction video (OneUI_4_Music_X_HOW-TO.zip) to get it working (protect your ears \m/)

OneUI_4_Phone_X_v1.0.0.apk
- Shows/enables phone call recording menu in settings

OneUI_4_Secure_Folder_X_v1.0.0.apk
- Enables Secure Folder installation

OneUI_4_Home_X_v1.0.0..apk (requires samsung stock home launcher)
- Creates a new category to sort (hide) apps in drawer only (Hidden Apps)
See instruction video (OneUI_4_Home_X_HOW-TO.zip) to get it working

OneUI_4_General_X_v1.0.0..apk (See instruction video (OneUI_4_General_X_HOW-TO.zip)
- Back key - 2 seconds - long press (long click) on foreground app to force close it (with confirmation dialog)
- Back key - 4 seconds - long press (long click) on home screen launcher to soft/quick reboot phone (with confirmation dialog)

Requirements: Samsung android 12 stock firmware and LSPosed.

Enjoy it!

Attachments

• OneUI_4_Phone_X_v1.0.0.apk
    74.4 KB · Views: 107
  • OneUI_4_Camera_X_v1.0.0.apk
    73.1 KB · Views: 77
  • OneUI_4_Secure_Folder_X_v1.0.0.apk
    72.9 KB · Views: 81
  • OneUI_4_Music_X_HOW-TO.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 55
  • OneUI_4_Home_X_HOW-TO.zip
    12.4 MB · Views: 62
  • OneUI_4_Home_X_v1.0.0.apk
    122.5 KB · Views: 52
  • OneUI_4_General_X_HOW-TO.zip
    11.7 MB · Views: 46
  • OneUI_4_General_X_v1.0.0.apk
    100 KB · Views: 51
  • OneUI_4_Music_X_v1.0.1.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

xbt-

Aug 8, 2013
Moscow
Just picked up an Exynos S20 Plus! Looking forward to rooting it.

I had a choice between a 128GB/8GB Exynos (4G) for the same price asa 256GB/12GB International Snapdragon (5G) model, and I chose the Exynos on purpose.

The reason I chose the Exynos, despite researching and knowing the Exynos has 25% less CPU & GPU performance, 25% less battery life, 50% less RAM, and can't use on Verizon like I could with the International Snapdragon variant - it all seems like the Snapdragon is a way better phone!

But it's not better, because it has 5G weapons hardware in there and I don't trust the software to disable it. I don't want that dangerous equipment in my phone. I'm willing to give up all that performance, to guarantee that I do not have any 5G. It was the right choice.

I also had a choice between an International Snapdragon 1TB/8GB S10+ for $100 less that has about the same performance as the Exynos, about the same price, with 1TB of internal storage, and can be used on Verizon, but I chose the S20+ because of the camera, which was worth the $100 extra and less storage.

I considered the S21+, but it only has 128 or 256gb, with no expandable storage. Dealbreaker.

I considered the S22+ or S22 ultra, but it has a smaller screen, the Ultra does have up to 1TB of storage, but the price is not worth it. And I cannot get it yet, it's on preorder. And I don't know if I can get a 4G variant. In a couple years, if I can buy a 4G model of S22 Ultra, I might upgrade to that phone. But not the S22+ which only has up to 256gb internal with no expandable storage.

Without a microsd, 1TB is the minimum internal storage. I would prefer a microsd though.

umz_786

Jul 7, 2011
London
www.facebook.com
You'll trigger knox and loose the waranty. Ok, what I would do is
  1. read the OP & read pages 20 + 21 of this Thread
  2. download the actual FW A12 with Frija or samfirm (don't patch it with Magisk if you use TWRP)
  3. download actual Magisk canary apk, TWRP + vbmeta tar
  4. download multidisabler-samsung-3.1
  5. flash the FW & TWRP with Odin - put TWRP + VBmeta tar in USERDATA. (reboot off!)
  6. Boot in TWRP (DON'T BOOT IN THE SYSTEM!) wipe data, decrypt it and flash the multidisabler.zip
  7. Install the Magisk app-debug.apk with TWRP (May be rename it to app-debug.zip if you have problems)
  8. Boot in the system, update Magisk (Canary update channel), install Zygisk + Zygisk list.
That's how I do it always. I like TWRP, because of the possibility to do nandroid backups, lots of more things and you don't need to patch anything with Magisk.
So have a good try ;)

I cannot seem to boot from download mode into twrp. I keep the vol down + power button pressed and then as soon as the screen goes black I release the vol down and press the vol up (power button stays pressed the whole time). It just boots into system though!

y6yuan

Jul 10, 2017
I have written 4 lsposed modules till now (for my personal use), but ofc I can share them here:

OneUI_4_Music_X_v1.0.0.apk (requires samsung stock home launcher and music apps)
- Changes samsung music widget (one row widget only) layout to show album art in full size
See instruction video (OneUI_4_Music_X_HOW_TO.zip) to get it working (protect your ears \m/)

Edit: Enjoy it!

Secure folder fix works fine for G988N oneui 4.0 stock firmware, great work! Thanks for sharing!!!(y)(y)(y)

Reactions: serajr

73sydney

Account currently disabled
Okay, im going slight mad....

I previously had my s20+ 5G all set up but decided to re-flash to a later v of 12

Im certain i have done the same thing as as before:

all FW in the right slots, twrp-z3s-3.6.0_11-r1-A12_VBMETA_ZUKA_patched.tar in USERDATA
flash above
use keys to boot into TWRP
wipe data
flash multidisabler-samsung-3.1.zip
reboot
setup device
got to boot back into recovery and stock recovery shows up???

i starting to remember why i left Samsung at this point, Pixel was so much eaiser to deal with

73sydney

Did u format data in twrp as well? Are u sure, that u are not encrypted?
You can reflash twrp with odin in the AP-slot and try again.

yup formatted data
flashed multidisabler-samsung-3.1.zip
just did it again and noticed it said: "Found no stock recovery. Pfft."
rebooted it and of course TWRP is gone, again

this is maddening

i have tried flashing TWRP in AP...similar deal

i have flashed a few ROMS in my days starting with the S2, just been away on Pixel for 2 years, starting to wonder why i came back to this nonsense

did it over (again), and multidisabler keeps saying:

"Found no stock recovery. Pfft."

G6986B EUL9 BL

pic...you can see the other parts of the script report unchanged

wtf is up with the recovery

SCREEN.jpg

done this 10 times now...same "found no stock recovery" issue

going to try previous A12 build....

Last edited:

skysurfer1111

Jul 4, 2016
Berlin
Okay, I see. You CANNOT dirty flash A12 over A11 with home csc, this is not possible.
You must start from the scatch, so flash csc and try again.

73sydney

Okay, I see. You CANNOT dirty flash A12 over A11 with home csc, this is not possible.
You must start from the scatch, so flash csc and try again.
umm i was on an earlier A12 build (G986BXXSCEUL7) going to a newer one (G986BXXSCEUL9) , and i already used CSC - i always default to a full clean flash :)

even trying the previous version which was working gives same error when flashing
multidisabler keeps saying:

"Found no stock recovery. Pfft."

which is nonsense, because of course its there...

I really had better things to do tonight Samsung...

Starting to lose my will to live

Last edited:

73sydney

Whats happen, if you flash the fw with locked bootloader. Does the system work?
i can boot it with bootloader either locked or unlocked - all i was saying about locking it was that i went back and relocked it so i could start right from the top...

i can boot TWRP once after flashing it and wiping data
then its "Found no stock recovery. Pfft." when flashing multi-disabler
i can boot stock recovery every other time

this is nuts...i want to stab Samsung, why cant they just let us do what we want with stuff we pay a premium to them for....

serajr

Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer
Apr 21, 2011
São Paulo - SP
It says A11 no matter what you throw it at :)

fwiw, i went back and relocked bootloader, and started over

same result....always "Found no stock recovery. Pfft."
Outdated multidisabler script.
I created my own zip (based on the original one) with fixed script, to disable /data encryption and stock recovery restoration only:

Screenshot_2022-02-20-11-16-45[1].png

Attachments

• Data_Encryption_Recovery_Restoration_Disabler_1.1_By_Serajr.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 343

73sydney

Outdated multidisabler script.
I created my own zip (based on the original one) with fixed script, to disable /data encryption and stock recovery restoration only:

View attachment 5542097
cheers @serajr , ill give it a go,

but i, struggling to figure out why it worked previously...as im weeks ago when i did it on the first A12 build

update:

Works fine, thanks @serajr

I though i was going insane because id done exactly as id done previously :)

Last edited:
Reactions: serajr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Applicable Models:
    All Exynos models including but not limited to:
    SM-G980F or SM-G980F/DS (S20)
    SM-G981B or SM-G981B/DS (S20)
    SM-G985F or SM-G985F/DS (S20+)
    SM-G986B or SM-G986B/DS (S20+)
    SM-G988B or SM-G988B/DS (S20 Ultra)
    All BL-unlockable Snapdragon models including but not limited to:
    SM-G9810 (S20, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China mainland)
    SM-G9860 (S20+, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China mainland)
    SM-G9880 (S20 Ultra, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China mainland)
    SM-G981N (S20, Korea)
    SM-G986N (S20+, Korea)
    SM-G988N (S20 Ultra, Korea)

Japanese model (SC-*) also use Snapdragon but I can't not confirm that its bootloader is unlockable.
    It is known that bootloader can NOT be unlocked on U.S. models (U/U1) .

Frequently used key combinations of S20 series:
    FORCE REBOOT: Hold "Volume Down" and "Bixby/Power" button.
    DOWNLOAD MODE: With the phone off, hold "Volume Down" and "Volume Up" button, connect your phone to a computer via a cable. Release the buttons after you see the "Warning" screen and then press "Volume Up"
    RECOVERY MODE: With the phone off, hold "Volume Up" and "Bixby/Power" button.

Some facts:
    1. S20 series uses dynamic partition which means there is only one "super" partition (instead of "system", "vendor", "product").
    3. S20 series uses A-only partition which means there is only one set of system partition.
    3. S20 series uses 2 stage init (2SI).
    4. KNOX will be tripped after you flash a custom image. As a result, Samsung Pay and Secure Folder will become permanently (even after restore to stock firmware) unusable and your warranty may be voided. However, many jurisdictions including the European Union has law mandating manufacturer to provide hardware warranty even if user modifies the software.
    5. Samsung devices are almost impossible to hard brick (render the device unusable without a hardware-level repair) as critical sections including the bootloader are well-protected. However, if you do things incorrectly, you may soft brick your phone, but that can usually be resolved by resetting to factory settings (wipe data and cache) or restoring to stock firmware (check out Stage 4).

Tools needed:
    On your computer:
    1. Odin 3.14.4 or newer
    2. Samsung Android USB driver
    3. SamFirm or other tools/websites to download official firmwares
    4. Android Verified Boot Metadata Image with verification disabled (vbmeta_disabled.tar)
    On your device:
    1. Magisk Manager

Stage 1: Know your model and carrier code (CSC)
    1. Open "Settings"
    2. Go to "About phone" -> "Software information"
    3. Pay attention to "Service provider SW ver."
    4. Starting with "SM-", for example "SM-G9810", that's the model of your phone.
    5. Immediately after that, there are two 3-letter code, for example "OZL_CHC". The second 3-letter code "CHC" is your CSC.
    6. Remember your model and CSC.
    Screenshot_20200409-191910_Settings.jpg

Stage 2: Unlock the bootloader
    WARNING: ALL data on your device, including apps, settings and files in internal storage, will be lost. You do not need to repeat this if you didn't re-lock your bootloader.
    1. Open "Settings"
    2. Turn on "Developer mode" by going to "About phone" -> "Software information" and pressing "Build number" for several times.
    3. Go to main menu of "Settings" and at the bottom you will find "Developer options"
    4. Go to "Developer options". You will find a toggle "OEM unlocking". Turn it on.
    Screenshot_20200409-191950_Settings.jpg
    5. Skip to step 8 if your device reboots to "Unlock bootloader?" screen. Make sure the toggle is on and then turn off your phone.
    6. With the phone off, hold "Volume Down" and "Volume Up" button, connect your phone to a computer via a cable. (don't use charging only cables)
    7. Release the buttons after you see the "Warning" screen. Then, hold the "Volume Up" button.
    8. You will see "Unlock bootloader?" screen. Proceed and unlock your bootloader by pressing "Volume Up" button.
    9. Your device will be reset to factory settings. Proceed with the Setup Wizard. Only connect to network via Wi-Fi or cellular and skip everything else. (to save time as data will be cleared again later.)
    10. Repeat step 1-4 to validate that "OEM Unlocking" is on. If it is not, turn it on.
    11. Repeat step 6.
    12. Release the buttons after you see the "Warning" screen. This time, press (not hold) the "Volume Up" button.
    13. You will see "Downloading" screen. On the top left, there are some important info.
    14. Pay attention to "OEM LOCK" and "REACTIVATION LOCK". If both of them are "OFF", you have unlocked the bootloader.
    IMG_0226.jpg

Stage 3: Disable Android Verified Boot
    1. Reboot to DOWNLOAD mode. If you are already in the download mode, skip to step 2.
    2. Download Odin 3.14.4 or newer and make sure Samsung USB drivers are installed.
    3. Open Odin and put the vbmeta_disabled.tar into USERDATA slot and click "Start"
    4. Your device will reboot but it will not boot into system as vbmeta signature has changed.
    5. Your device will reboot into RECOVERY mode automatically and prompt "You have to reset your device to factory settings". Use "Volume Up" or "Volume Down" button to move and "Power/Bixby" button to select. Confirm and reset the device to factory settings.
    6. This is the last time the data on the device has to be cleared. Afterwards, if you don't re-lock bootloader or re-enable the Android Verified Boot, you will not lose your data. Be aware, a stock firmware package contains a Android Verified Boot Metadata Image (vbmeta.img) with verifications enabled. You will need to flash the vbmeta_disable image (put into USERDATA slot) along with the stock firmware (use BL, AP, CP, CSC slots) to make sure AVB is not re-enabled and the data is preserved.
    View attachment 4990053

With bootloader unlocked and AVB disabled, it is now possible to boot modified images on the device.

If a recovery is available and you don't want to go through the process of downloading official firmware, go to #2.

You can also download a KERNEL TAR archive of your version here:
    Exynos: https://github.com/jesec/proprietary_vendor_samsung_xyzs/releases
    Snapdragon: https://github.com/jesec/proprietary_vendor_samsung_xyzq/releases
    and then skip to Step 6.

Stage 4: Obtain the official firmware and upgrade
    1. Open SamFirm
    2. Type in your model and your region (CSC) and click "Check Update"
    3. "Download" and you will get a zip file.
    View attachment 4990061
    4. Extract it and you will get 5 files (AP, BL, CP, CSC and HOME_CSC). All files are in tar format and can be opened by 7-Zip, WinRAR or other software.
    5. Check the version code, for example (G9810ZCU1ATD1). The last 4 letters (ATD1) indicates the version of the firmware. If the version is the same as your current firmware, skip to Stage 5.
    Your data will be preserved if you do it right but it is good to have a backup.
    6. Open Odin on your computer and reboot your device to DOWNLOAD mode.
    7. Put AP, BL, CP files in their Odin slots. It takes time to verify the firmware so be patient.
    8. Put HOME_CSC file in CSC slot. Be careful here. Unlike AP, BL, CP slots, you should NOT use CSC file for CSC slot. Instead, you should use HOME_CSC file. CSC file contains partition table (PIT) which will erase all your data.
    9. Put vbmeta_disabled file in USERDATA slot so AVB remains disabled and your data preserved.
    10. Click "Start" and wait for it to finish. Allow the device to boot into system to complete the upgrade process. Do NOT interrupt/disconnect phones/hold button. It needs to complete the process without interruption or strange BUGs may appear.
    View attachment 4990063

Stage 5: Extract boot (kernel) image from firmware
    If you are having trouble creating tar file, you can skip to Stage 6. (NOT RECOMMENDED as AP is basically full system image. It is huge (takes long time to flash/process) and Magisk may misbehave.)
    1. Extract boot.img.lz4 from the AP file.
    2. Use 7-Zip to create a tar archive which contains boot.img.lz4 only. (or "tar cvf boot.tar boot.img.lz4")
    View attachment 4990065View attachment 4990067View attachment 4990069View attachment 4990071

Stage 6: Patch the boot (Kernel) image via Magisk
    1. Transfer the tar archive (or the AP file if you skipped stage 5) to your phone.
    2. Open Magisk Manager.
    3. Click top-right "Install" button
    4. Make sure "Recovery Mode" is off in Options.
    5. Click "Next" and select "Select and Patch a File" in Method.
    6. Select the file you transferred to your phone in step 1.
    7. Click "Next" and "LET'S GO".
    Screenshot_20200415-223750.jpgScreenshot_20200409-192424.jpgScreenshot_20200409-192430.jpgScreenshot_20200409-192447.jpgScreenshot_20200415-085506.jpg
    8. Transfer the patched file (in Download/magisk_patched.tar) to your computer
    9. Reboot the device to DOWNLOAD mode.
    10. Open Odin, put patched file to AP slot and then click "Start".
    11. After reboot, Magisk is installed and you will have the root access.

HOW TO upgrade the firmware
    Repeat stage 4-6.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Root S20 series and upgrade firmware, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S20

Contributors
    jesec

Version Information

Created 2020-04-08
    Last Updated 2020-04-08
    Other Methods:

You still need to unlock bootloader and disable AVB. (check Stage 2-3)

Recovery Magisk installation:
    1. Open Odin on your computer.
    2. Reboot your device to DOWNLOAD mode.
    3. Put the recovery TAR flashable into AP slot.
    4. Click start.
    5. Use Volume Up + Power to reboot into recovery mode.
    6. Install Magisk via recovery.
    My recovery usually includes Magisk in "Select from root" -> ".builtin" folder. Or you can sideload the ZIP flashable of your choice via adb or https://flash.jesec.io/.

Flash pre-patched boot (Kernel) image:
    Basically others have done stage 4-6 for you. Be aware that it is always safer to DIY.
    You are welcomed to share your patched image to the community by replying to this thread.
    Naming convention: model + firmware version (last four letters of build number) + magisk version .tar
    1. Make sure that the model and firmware version of the pre-patched image is the exact SAME as yours.
    2. Open Odin on your computer.
    3. Reboot your device to DOWNLOAD mode.
    4. Put pre-patched image into AP slot.
    5. "Start"

SM-G9810_ATD1_ef9d077c.tar:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SxKXWHqR0aM_g457Yp7pk524_6aqp1k5
    Some Interesting Things:

Change your CSC (carrier code):
    You have to root your device. There might be some secret codes to trigger the menu without root, though.
    Note that you can only change it to carrier configurations already included in your firmware.
    WARNING: Your device will be reset to factory settings.

In a local terminal, type:
    su
    am start -n com.samsung.android.cidmanager/.preconfig.PreconfigActivity

Screenshot_20200409-100230.jpg
    The situation in US:
    As long as the model is shared with Verizon and ATT, it is highly unlikely that it will be BL unlockable. Verizon and ATT have strong desire to keep the phone BL locked. Samsung wants unlockable by default but they don't argue with Verizon/ATT on this. T mobile and Sprint are OK with unlock but they don't have strong desire to make it unlockable.

Anyways, for Snapdragon users, now the Lineage Recovery is available. You can now root your device without downloading the full firmware.
    https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s20/samsung-galaxy-snapdragon-s20--s20--s20-ultra-roms-kernels-recoveries--other-development/recovery-lineage-recovery-s20-series-t4084977

I will also take a look into Exynos devices if there are enough interest. (however i can only do blind development)

I am also working on TWRP Android 10 branch. It is still early stage, though.
    image.jpg
    cant wait it, pls pm, thanks!!
    I have written some lsposed modules (for my personal use), but ofc I can share them here:

OneUI_4_Music_X_v1.0.1.apk (requires samsung stock home launcher and music version 16.2.28.9+ apps)
    See instruction video (OneUI_4_Music_X_HOW-TO.zip) to get it working (protect your ears \m/)

OneUI_4_Home_X_v1.0.0..apk (requires samsung stock home launcher)
    - Creates a new category to sort (hide) apps in drawer only (Hidden Apps)
    See instruction video (OneUI_4_Home_X_HOW-TO.zip) to get it working

OneUI_4_General_X_v1.0.0..apk (See instruction video (OneUI_4_General_X_HOW-TO.zip)
    - Back key - 2 seconds - long press (long click) on foreground app to force close it (with confirmation dialog)
    - Back key - 4 seconds - long press (long click) on home screen launcher to soft/quick reboot phone (with confirmation dialog)

Enjoy it!