[HOW TO] Fastboot on LGP500

Search This thread

rotorto

Oct 29, 2010
Any news on how to enable fastboot on this device?

EDIT: Here you can find instructions for enabling fastboot on your device. The key combo to enter fastboot mode is Home + Power. Thanks to marioemp2k7 and mik_os.

Last edited:

drellisdee

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
Its blocked at bootloader level. You guys need to fish for a pre-release rom that can be flashed via lg mobile-updater or equivalent and try that bootloader (danger warning). That is IF one exists. Lg goofed on the ally and left fastboot enabled in their 1st version of firmware for it and fixed it in later shipped releases. We had to downgrade to v06 firmware to get fastboot. The command if enabled in bootloader is adb reboot bootloader to get to it. If its disabled it will just reboot as normal.

Here are instructions (for ally DO NOT FLASH THIS FIRMWARE -reference only)and link to tool to LG tool to downgrade frimware. http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/166588-how-flash-stock-lg-rom.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Joeseph Mother

natedogg20050

Aug 19, 2009
Its blocked at bootloader level. You guys need to fish for a pre-release rom that can be flashed via lg mobile-updater or equivalent and try that bootloader (danger warning). That is IF one exists. Lg goofed on the ally and left fastboot enabled in their 1st version of firmware for it and fixed it in later shipped releases. We had to downgrade to v06 firmware to get fastboot. The command if enabled in bootloader is adb reboot bootloader to get to it. If its disabled it will just reboot as normal.

Here are instructions (for ally DO NOT FLASH THIS FIRMWARE -reference only)and link to tool to LG tool to downgrade frimware. http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/166588-how-flash-stock-lg-rom.html

one question why do we need fast boot ?

The_ERROR

Nov 13, 2010
Ostrava (mostly)
one question why do we need fast boot ?

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fastboot said:
Fastboot is protocol used to update the flash filesystem in Android devices from a host over USB. It allows flashing of unsigned partition images. It is disabled in the production G1 devices since USB support is disabled in the bootloader[1]. This can be changed if you get root on the device.

So, seems that it is for flashing of firmware. I thing that fastboot is something like recovery with some more?

iancor

Dec 9, 2010
On the Ally one could re-enable fastboot by flashing an old firmware. But afaik the GT540 had the support for fastboot enabled thanks to some russian guys who rebuilt the bootloader without having access to a pre-release rom. I wish they could to the same for the P500. I would ask them myself on 4pda.ru, but unfortunately I can't speak russian.
So, seems that it is for flashing of firmware. I thing that fastboot is something like recovery with some more?
It's way better than recovery. Believe me, Google would not have created it if it weren't that useful. Try booting a custom kernel on-the-fly with your recovery.

Jamelly

Nov 30, 2010
Manila
"My boots are so fast, you won't know if I kicked you on the groin already.." -- Chuck Norris

+9 fastboot LOL.

eigokyoukan

Feb 2, 2010
Cincinnati
I have Fastboot! Mostly...

I have something on the Fastboot front. This being my first time hacking around with android stuff and not WinMo (screw winmo... bleh), I maybe need some help for the next step.

First off let me say that the winding way I got here includes stuff highly derivative off work from http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-roms-hacks/45401-rom-thunderom-v1-5-12-14-2010-a.html this ROM for the optimus S. I want to ask their permission before I post steps on how I got here.

Here is where I am at.

On my phone:
Fastboot mode started
udc_start()
-- suspend --
-- reset --
-- portchange --
-- reset --
-- portchange --
fastboot: processing commands

YAY

Then windows installs for me a FastBoot Interface (Google USB ID) [Yes.. I was in Windows at the time lol]

DOUBLE YAY

This seems to work...

I can fastboot reboot, fastboot reboot-recovery, and I can wipe and assuming flash stuff (not trying just yet) with fastboot.

Only issues seems to be when I 'fastboot devices' I receive:

? fastboot

AND

I have to reflash or Nandroid restore to a more stable ROM to NOT go into fastboot mode.

From the sources I am reading, it should be more specific with my device ID correct?

Thanks for any ideas/help or whatever...

Last edited:
Reactions: The_ERROR

jtaylor63

Nov 29, 2010
Nobody here can speak russian? Asking on 4pda.ru how exactly they managed to enable fastboot on the GT540 might be helpful...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FastBoot Tutorial

1. Please download this (or from here) file and unzip it in to any folder.

2. Start LGMDP 1.5 tool with the phone connected (you need to have USB drivers installed) and click on Select Port

fastboot1.png

3. A separate window should appear like the one below

fastboot2.png

Just click connect

4. Another window will take shape (LGE Mobile security) with lots of options (links)

fastboot3.png

Click on the first upper right Browse and select the folder in with you have unzipped the files. You will get some errors that some image, table or headers are missing. Just click OK and in the end everything that should remain selected is Partition Table, APPSBL Image Header and APPSBL Image.
    Now just close the window (click on x)

5. Now you are back on the main window and here you'll have to click on Download

fastboot4.png

6. You are almost done and from now on everything should go on automatically.

NV Backup
    fastboot5.png

Autorestart in Emergency\Download mode and upgrade the files (you selected on step 4)
    fastboot6.png

fastboot7.png

NV Restore (the last step) Do not disconnect the USB cable until the restore is done
    fastboot8.png

Wait for the phone to restart in normal mode (your current rom).
    That should be everything you need to do to get fastboot enabled.
    Any news on how to enable fastboot on this device?

EDIT: Here you can find instructions for enabling fastboot on your device. The key combo to enter fastboot mode is Home + Power. Thanks to marioemp2k7 and mik_os.
    Well, we now have appsboot and appsboothd fastboot enabled from the leaked test LG Gingerbread build. All we have to do is to unpack a Froyo rom and to replace this files. I have did it and also replaced the recovery with CWM. In this way we don't need to worry about rooting since we can restore backups through recovery. I will add it later if someone wants it.

Edit1: I am already uploading it. I hope that in one hour will be up.
    Do a backup first. It doesn't matter in which recovery since you can use anything to switch back afterwards.
    Just unzip it into a folder.
    You will have to use LGMDP from here.

Edit2: So here it is. This is based on a branded Vodafone RO 2.2. I only replaced appsboot.mbn, appsboothd.mbn and recovery.img (CWM 3.1.0.0). If it bootloops on the last reboot (you'll know which is it) just remove the batery and put it back in (without the usb cable connected ofc) and start it to enter recovery (to restore your backup or flash amonra).
    Hi. I can help with fastboot. I've done this for Optimus GT540.
    And I think for P500 is similar.
    In P500 LG uses the same bootloader as in all Optimus.
    Is LK bootloader from codeaurora. Get the sources, they need a small configuration, like a ROM partition setup, key mapping, screen drivers and linux machine ID (get it from P500 kernel src). Compile and recreate firmware kdz with new appsboot.mbn and appsboothd.mbn.
    Hi. I can help with fastboot. I've done this for Optimus GT540.
    And I think for P500 is similar.
    In P500 LG uses the same bootloader as in all Optimus.
    Is LK bootloader from codeaurora. Get the sources, they need a small configuration, like a ROM partition setup, key mapping, screen drivers and linux machine ID (get it from P500 kernel src). Compile and recreate firmware kdz with new appsboot.mbn and appsboothd.mbn.
    Can you give us more details about the configuration to do before building LK?
    For instance, talking about rom partitions, we know from dmesg:
    Code:
    Partition (from atag) boot -- Offset:130 Size:22
    Partition (from atag) system -- Offset:152 Size:5f0
    Partition (from atag) recovery -- Offset:742 Size:28
    Partition (from atag) lgdrm -- Offset:76a Size:16
    Partition (from atag) splash -- Offset:780 Size:8
    Partition (from atag) FOTABIN -- Offset:788 Size:c
    Partition (from atag) FOTA -- Offset:794 Size:2e
    Partition (from atag) misc -- Offset:7c2 Size:2
    Partition (from atag) cache -- Offset:7c4 Size:200
    Partition (from atag) userdata -- Offset:9c4 Size:63c
    Is it ok to change BOARD_FLASH_OFFSET and ptentry board_part_list[] in target/surf-msm7k/init.c to the following?
    Code:
    #define BOARD_FLASH_OFFSET    0x000
    Code:
    static struct ptentry board_part_list[] = {
        {
            .start = 0x130,
            .length = 0x022,
            .name = "boot",
        },
        {
            .start = 0x152,
            .length = 0x5f0,