• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to fix MOTO G7 / xt1962-1 stuck in Bootloader (stuck in fastboot) unable to boot

Search This thread

sd86

Apr 3, 2019
I do not have 10 posts yet, remove underscores from urls. I will edit this when I have 10 posts, I'm sorry for the slight inconvience.
Hi, new here! I recently acquired a Motorola G7 (xt1962-1/river_amz) from my sister. The device did not boot. It mentioned that the device did not start-up successfully, something in relation to slot/a and slot/b, and that I needed to utilize a Software Repair Assistant.

Non-Verizon devices cannot utilize this Software Repair Assistant, I tried and it hung at Processing Device Info. For Non-Verizon devices there's a piece of software called Lenovo MOTO Smart Assistant which can be found: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291
This option did not work for me as the Bootloader did not for some reason allow the device to overwrite some of the content (permission was denied device side.)

The MOTO Smart assistant was good for downloading the devices software. So you do the following:
  • Download and install the smart assistant software
  • Click the flash option and then the rescue option
  • Click moto phone
  • Select moto g (7th gen)
  • Select xt1962-1 and then next to target and firmware name there's a download button press that and the firmware will start downloading
You can follow the onscreen instructions for that program, like I said however, it didn't work for me so I'm just going to tell you the steps I went through to get the device working. If you have other solutions, I, as well as the rest of the MOTO G7 users will be happy to hear what worked for you I'm sure.

I tried downloading the files from /moto-g7/development/moto-g7-river-xt1962-1-firmware-29-114-t3913673 on this site and flashing those with some of the below mentioned methods but, no dice.

The default firmware download directory is C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles btw.

I didn't want to fuss with trying to get RSDlite working on Windows 10. I found that an older PC with a 32-bit install of Windows 7 was far easier to manage, so, that's what I went with.

To follow what I did:
  • Download RSDlite 6.2.4 from rootjunky's site via: http://rootjunkysdl.com/files/?dir=Android Programs
  • Download 32-bit drivers from: http://rootjunkysdl.com/files/?dir=Android Drivers/Motorola if LMSA did not install them already
  • Copy the firmware folder to your desktop or somewhere easy to work from
  • Ensure your device is in bootloader mode
  • Open RSDlite and your device should be detected
  • Select the firmware folder and open flashfile.xml with RSDlite and press start
  • Let the process finish and don't interupt or you will have to do it all over again
  • The phone should boot, you will more than likely have to sign into an google account that's already been in use on that device (due to FRP)

You can also use the XML to BAT method, that didn't work for me (remote permission denied/device side)

I hope this helps some people who struggled like I did. Also, sorry if some things are badly worded if at all. I'm autistic and have trouble explaining and expressing things.

Check out my stock resources thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g7/development/riveramz-stock-resources-t3917937/

Last edited:

chi2

Aug 30, 2019
Worked perfectly!

Thanks! I had the same issue (my wife's Moto G7 stuck at the bootloader) and was able to follow your directions, so much appreciated.

The only change I made was to follow the directions at this video (go to youtube/watch?v=njXQYn53SPc) to perform the XML to BAT instead of using RSDlite (since I was on Windows 10).

It worked perfectly and fixed the issue--and the great thing was that by converting the servicefile.xml instead of flashfile.xml, I was able to retain all the data on the phone.

The overall sequence of steps (listed in detail, since this was my first time flashing. Remove underscores from URLs):
  • Download Lenovo Assistant from your link
  • In Lenovo Assistant, go to Flash, then Rescue, then select model of phone. Click to download the firmware (but do not actually click the "rescue" button).
  • Download Google's Platform Tools (to get fastboot and ADB)
  • Make a folder to hold everything (called "flash")
  • Copy the downloaded firmware folder from C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles to flash folder. Copy the fastboot, adb, and adb dll's from the Platform Tools to the firmware folder (per the video).
  • Copy and edit commands from servicefile.xml to a new servicefile.bat, as described in the video. Place this file in the firmware folder.
  • Run batch file in command prompt from the firmware folder.

That got the phone running again, with all data intact.

Reactions: Skor_X and AZGeek

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Reactions: mattmsr82

MrCabana

Jun 21, 2013
I followed sd86's guide and used servicefile.xml instead of flashfile.xml, as suggested by chi2.
No problems whatsoever installing RSDlite 6.2.4 on Windows 10 x64 (1909). The drivers were installed by LMSA and I have no idea why you guys said it was difficult.
Just for the record, my phone is a Motorola G7 (xt1962-4), that out of thin air started showing the following message:

start up failed
your device didn't start up successfully.
use the software repair assistant on computer
to repair your device
connect your device to your computer to get
the software repair assistant.

AP fastboot flash mode (secure)
no bootable a/b slot
failed to boot Linus.falling back to fastboot
Fastboot reason: fall-through from normal boot mode
USB connected

mattmsr82

Apr 28, 2017
Gilbertsville
www.mattmsr.com
I followed sd86's guide and used servicefile.xml instead of flashfile.xml, as suggested by chi2.
No problems whatsoever installing RSDlite 6.2.4 on Windows 10 x64 (1909). The drivers were installed by LMSA and I have no idea why you guys said it was difficult.
Just for the record, my phone is a Motorola G7 (xt1962-4), that out of thin air started showing the following message:

I ended up sending my phone back to Motorola, they they fixed it and sent it back overnight...

Sent from my Samsung SM-G973U1 using XDA Labs

fadestyle

Jan 18, 2007
www.fadestyle.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetrixX13
I had exactly the same problem. The Lineage OS installation instructions are missing an important point.
The Moto G7 has two slots, A and B. However, it seems they only come with a bootloader pre-installed on slot A, slot B seems to be completely blank.
When slot A is active and you flash Lineage OS using TWRP, it writes to slot B and switches to slot B.
When you reboot, you cannot boot anymore, because on slot B there is no bootloader.
To mitigate this issue, you have to flash a "copypartitions" zip before rebooting.

My phone also was in 9008 mode and I revived my Moto G7 using the blankflash method, see here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...reteu-t4020263

I can also confirm saving my Hard bricked, non booting black screen, no life moto g7 with the above blank flash app from above link. then i used the lenovo recovery program to put the original rom back on the phone downloadable here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291

if you have a black screen hard brick, no life but windows 10 sees it at an unknown or 9008 device then you can bring your moto g7 back to life again. follow all the above links and youre good!

timba123

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
LG V20
XT1955-5 (ocean)

Is there any way to flash the copy partitions zip using fastboot? I'm stuck in AP Fastboot Flash Mode. OEM relocked. I did unlock it before. Says failed to boot. No bootable A/B slot. Failed to boot linux, falling back to fastboot

Last edited:

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
I don't have a Windows 10 PC...plus, if I screw up my phone, I'll catch hell from the wife...lol

SO...that being said, if someone has an XT1962-6 'River' RETIN phone running Android 10 w/June Sec. Patch....I'd be willing to 'donate' to their paypal for a copy of my phones fw! Anyone interested plz pm me. Thx!

Last edited:

anyelo000

Aug 8, 2020
Good day, your post was very useful for me, bring back my phone, Im very grateful, thanks, sorry for my english :)

srujanragh

Aug 20, 2020
switch off your phones and connect usb.
first install drives to your pc by searching where to find device drivers motorola
then download lenovo smart assistant and press rescue

Apr 10, 2021
Hi. Im new here too. Well been for a while just my second post and the first time iv actually been able to flash a rom. I have the same problem. No bootable slots. I know exactly what i did wrong. I knew it the moment i hit the reboot button. However, i run zorin 15 on my pc and the levono assistant don't support linux. Anyone know where i can acquire the assistant running linux? Greatly appreciated in advance.

Skor_X

Nov 30, 2021
Thank you very much sd86 and chi2 for your research and help 🙂

Sadly my phone can't boot after flashing clean OS 😫
I don't want to erase UserData partition, but it seems error is there (as it's only left partition untouched).

As I still would like to keep my data (this is the most important thing on our mobile devices) the only one hope is to unlock bootloader, flash recovery partition (eg. with TWRP) and then perform a backup from recovery software.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I do not have 10 posts yet, remove underscores from urls. I will edit this when I have 10 posts, I'm sorry for the slight inconvience.
    Hi, new here! I recently acquired a Motorola G7 (xt1962-1/river_amz) from my sister. The device did not boot. It mentioned that the device did not start-up successfully, something in relation to slot/a and slot/b, and that I needed to utilize a Software Repair Assistant.

Non-Verizon devices cannot utilize this Software Repair Assistant, I tried and it hung at Processing Device Info. For Non-Verizon devices there's a piece of software called Lenovo MOTO Smart Assistant which can be found: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291
    This option did not work for me as the Bootloader did not for some reason allow the device to overwrite some of the content (permission was denied device side.)

The MOTO Smart assistant was good for downloading the devices software. So you do the following:
    • Download and install the smart assistant software
    • Click the flash option and then the rescue option
    • Click moto phone
    • Select moto g (7th gen)
    • Select xt1962-1 and then next to target and firmware name there's a download button press that and the firmware will start downloading
    You can follow the onscreen instructions for that program, like I said however, it didn't work for me so I'm just going to tell you the steps I went through to get the device working. If you have other solutions, I, as well as the rest of the MOTO G7 users will be happy to hear what worked for you I'm sure.

I tried downloading the files from /moto-g7/development/moto-g7-river-xt1962-1-firmware-29-114-t3913673 on this site and flashing those with some of the below mentioned methods but, no dice.

The default firmware download directory is C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles btw.

I didn't want to fuss with trying to get RSDlite working on Windows 10. I found that an older PC with a 32-bit install of Windows 7 was far easier to manage, so, that's what I went with.

To follow what I did:
    • Download RSDlite 6.2.4 from rootjunky's site via: http://rootjunkysdl.com/files/?dir=Android Programs
    • Download 32-bit drivers from: http://rootjunkysdl.com/files/?dir=Android Drivers/Motorola if LMSA did not install them already
    • Copy the firmware folder to your desktop or somewhere easy to work from
    • Ensure your device is in bootloader mode
    • Open RSDlite and your device should be detected
    • Select the firmware folder and open flashfile.xml with RSDlite and press start
    • Let the process finish and don't interupt or you will have to do it all over again
    • The phone should boot, you will more than likely have to sign into an google account that's already been in use on that device (due to FRP)

You can also use the XML to BAT method, that didn't work for me (remote permission denied/device side)

I hope this helps some people who struggled like I did. Also, sorry if some things are badly worded if at all. I'm autistic and have trouble explaining and expressing things.

Check out my stock resources thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g7/development/riveramz-stock-resources-t3917937/
    Worked perfectly!

Thanks! I had the same issue (my wife's Moto G7 stuck at the bootloader) and was able to follow your directions, so much appreciated.

The only change I made was to follow the directions at this video (go to youtube/watch?v=njXQYn53SPc) to perform the XML to BAT instead of using RSDlite (since I was on Windows 10).

It worked perfectly and fixed the issue--and the great thing was that by converting the servicefile.xml instead of flashfile.xml, I was able to retain all the data on the phone.

The overall sequence of steps (listed in detail, since this was my first time flashing. Remove underscores from URLs):
    • Download Lenovo Assistant from your link
    • In Lenovo Assistant, go to Flash, then Rescue, then select model of phone. Click to download the firmware (but do not actually click the "rescue" button).
    • Download Google's Platform Tools (to get fastboot and ADB)
    • Make a folder to hold everything (called "flash")
    • Copy the downloaded firmware folder from C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles to flash folder. Copy the fastboot, adb, and adb dll's from the Platform Tools to the firmware folder (per the video).
    • Copy and edit commands from servicefile.xml to a new servicefile.bat, as described in the video. Place this file in the firmware folder.
    • Run batch file in command prompt from the firmware folder.

That got the phone running again, with all data intact.
    Mine doesn't seem to have any partitions anymore. All my phone does is fast boot mode. And it won't let me flash anything... Please [email protected]
    May need to use a
    Loader file or blankflash
    See
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g7/help/loader-file-to-unbrick-moto-g7-t3938342.

Sent from my mata using XDA Labs