[How To] Fix push notifications in the official Facebook app

Search This thread

Cammiesoul

Jul 13, 2011
New York, NY
One thing though, I had to open the Options dialog during BB Facebook app and check the "Blackberry notifications" option.

I had done this, and it still doesn't work for me. I've enabled everything pertinent in the Facebook account settings. I've even tried different ROMs.

Sent from my HTC Sensation on CM7 using XDA App

regP

Nov 1, 2010
Bay Area
So I followed the directions step by step and at first the Facebook for Blackberry was showing on my account but I still wasnt getting notifications. About an hour later I log back into facebook in my browser and the app authorization is gone. Tried relogging into the FB app from the blackberry emulator numerous times but it still refuses to show in my account.

swm5126

Dec 11, 2009
This is awesome cause it works.great and all, but what the **** Facebook?!

Has anyone reported this to them? It seems like this is something they would like to fix...

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

jug6ernaut

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 7, 2006
San Antonio, Tx
This is awesome cause it works.great and all, but what the **** Facebook?!

Has anyone reported this to them? It seems like this is something they would like to fix...

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

If companies like that cared they would. Trust me this would be a very easy fix for them. My guess is they leave it unfixed intentionally. Think about it...if it worked on Android it would introduce so many more users to the push system...like millions. My guess is they can't handle that currently so they leave it as a "bug".

2cents...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

T-Loop

Oct 15, 2008
Lahti
I had done this, and it still doesn't work for me. I've enabled everything pertinent in the Facebook account settings. I've even tried different ROMs.

Sent from my HTC Sensation on CM7 using XDA App

I have SGS2 + MIUI currently. This problem has been buggering me from the beginning I bought this. My friend also bought SGS2 and FB notifications started to work immediately for him. No Blackberry tricks, it just works with stock ROM. I was a bit knackered. :)

I noticed something strange this morning. I went to facebook.com / Settings / Apps, I was going to show my friend the "Facebook for Blackberry Smartphones" listing, but it has disappeared. Gladly notifications still work, I have no idea why its gone now. :confused:

slapperypete

Mar 9, 2011
Toronto
Works beautifully for me.

To the OP: you might want to edit your post as follows, as the authorization for the BB app was in a different place than you described:

- 7. Click on 'Notifications' down the left-hand side, then "Other Applications". Make sure ‘Facebook for Blackberry Smartphones’ is authorised. If it’s not, try logging back in on the Blackberry emulator again.

DarsOnMars

Feb 13, 2012
I can't sign in Facebook through the emulator. I get this 100 error saying that it can't reach Facebook at this moment or something like that

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA

danlivesey

Dec 5, 2010
blackburn
Nice work for finding this out. Once I've logged in on blackberry environment for Dev. I can't log out of facebook on windows so I can't seem to get notifications working. Any ideas

Sent from my R800 using xda premium

Last edited:

DarsOnMars

Feb 13, 2012
Okay I really can't get Facebook to connect on the blackberry simulator. Cab someone help me please? I would highly appreciate it.

danlivesey

Dec 5, 2010
blackburn
Okay I really can't get Facebook to connect on the blackberry simulator. Cab someone help me please? I would highly appreciate it.

I have a Android environment set up all ready with all the extra Java installed for developers. So the blackberry environment install with no problems and I can log in to Facebook but just can't log out. And I don't have the blackberry app in apps on Facebook.

Sent from my R800 using xda premium

firephoenixctk

Dec 20, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro

To the OP: you might want to edit your post as follows, as the authorization for the BB app was in a different place than you described:

- 7. Click on 'Notifications' down the left-hand side, then "Other Applications". Make sure ‘Facebook for Blackberry Smartphones’ is authorised. If it’s not, try logging back in on the Blackberry emulator again.

This is how I got mine to work too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

So, you know that official Facebook app is supposed to have push notifications, right? Yeah? Well, it apparently does, they just never worked for me at all. Turns out, there's a fix, and it's quite the strange one - you have to sign into the Facebook app on a Blackberry. Once you've done that, you'll start getting push notifications for wall posts, comments, and event invites, with an entirely new notification icon. Weird, no?

Of course, it's not like I had a recent BB device just lying around.. Thankfully, the Blackberry emulator software, available from RIM's site, works just fine for our purposes. I've written up a guide for the curious, with links to the emulator downloads and so forth.

Seems the fix was found in May over at AndroidCentral, but I'd certainly not seen it posted anywhere I frequent, and had to spend some time searching for a fix to stumble across the post - hence this topic.

Let me know if it works for you. :)

I saw this a while ago. I stopped by an at&t store, used a display blackberry, and yes, it works beautifully!

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App
    Working great on Xperia X10i with MIUI 1.10.28!
    Thanks! :)
    I've NEVER received notifications from facebook until now!! :) My phone just came alive and notifications started to flow. The Blackberry trick works.

One thing though, I had to open the Options dialog during BB Facebook app and check the "Blackberry notifications" option.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone